One Europa Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27517Neighborhood:
Contemporary SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 9199692157
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Contemporary Southern
- Executive Chef: Chef Ches McLane
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Carolina 1663
Carolina 1663 is a fresh, modern approach to classic Southern dishes relying on Farm to Table procurement; preparations are sodium and fat sensitive so that the true freshness of the flavors takes center stage. Our seasonal menus reflect the freshest local produce available as well as selected locally raised meat and poultry. We feature fresh fish sourced from the Atlantic and prepared in a way that highlights its freshness. Our lounge features creatively crafted cocktails, premium wines by the glass or bottle as well as locally brewed draft beers. All of our desserts are hand made in house such as our signature sweet potato cheesecake using fresh North Carolina sweet potatoes, as well as other unique offerings such as a praline panna cotta.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carolina 1663 reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance2.6Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Very quiet place, too quite. Menu was intriguing but the food was fair at best. The beef medallions were recommended by the wait staff as the signature dish but I don't know any chef who would place their name on that. It was a busy weekend in Chapel Hill and we should've figured this wasn't the place to go when we arrived and no other tables were seated nor was there any line. Not sure how long this place will stay in business.
- Something AmissArtVDined on 10/4/2014This place was near empty at 6:30 PM on a home football Saturday. Yikes. Food was OK but service was very uncoordinated. The staff was polite but lost. We received one item twice, others came out in random order, and overall delivery was very slow.
- UnderwhelmingMKOWDined on 8/29/2014It was my first time dining at Carolina 1663. I ordered the chicken dumplings, which were just okay. The asparagus and peas were the best part. My husband ordered the fried chicken, which he said was good, but again, not anything special. Overall, our meal was just "fine", not a comment you should make after paying such high prices to dine. With such few diners in the restaurant with us, I wonder if it will stay afloat very long.Special Features:
- a pleasureesfoodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014Once again, we enjoyed our evening at Carolina 1663 (even tho we have trouble remembering the name). It's very fun to sit in the bar. Our bartender was/is a chatty guy who clearly likes interacting w/ bar patrons. I tried new food this time around (crab cakes and salad Caprese [yum!]; usually get a burger (also yum). Not many locals come here...they're missing out!Special Features:
- The following 47 reviews are from the Carolina 1663 reviews archive.
- Always Exceeds ExpectationsUNCHeels1190Dined on 6/18/2014This was my third experience dining at Carolina 1663 and I must say, it never fails to impress! The staff was very attentive, food was quick and delicious, and the manager working was extremely friendly. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Mothers' Day/GraduationtracyrnpedsDined on 5/11/2014The server was pleasant and attentive. The food from appetizers to desserts was amazing. The restaurant was upscale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Foo-Foo CookingWendysFindsDined on 5/10/2014If you like Southern cooking with a definite twist, then this may be your place. I, however, prefer my chicken and dumplings to be the real thing. Though the chicken was good, the dumplings were not dumplings. They were of a fancy kind of pasta which was either burnt or stir-fried...not sure. Though I did not like my dinner, my daughter who is a "foodie" from Washington, DC, thought it was very good. My son ordered boneless chicken wings as an appetizer and thought the wings were ok but he did not like that they came on a bed of lettuce. Or, as he called it "boneless wings on a salad." The venue has potential but is not a 4-5 star restaurant.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchBuzzDined on 4/20/2014Carolina 1663 bills itself as serving upscale Southern Fare - they did this. The food was very good, with tasty and interesting takes on staples such as: chicken & dumplings, ambrosia, and even a sweet tea pie. They provided many more vegetable options than most buffets do. I did miss having some breakfast items on a brunch, but this was a very good Easter lunch buffet. I am very interested in returning and trying their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place - Not Many People ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/12/2014The food and service at Carolina 1663 were both outstanding. Our only negative comment is that we were the only people there at 7:30 on a Saturday night. We felt bad for the waitress and the kitchen staff that we may be among their only patrons on a weekend night. We'll definitely go back - had the pecan-encrusted chicken and short rib entrees. Just fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/8/2014We were looking for an after-theater place that would serve us around 10pm. When we arrived at 9:45 the restaurant was closed so they asked us to eat in the bar. We got appetizers. The shrimp were small, overly fried and tasteless. Tomato soup tasted like it came from a can. House salad was good, with fresh ingredients but that was all. Won't go back
- I thought the food was great.DiDiTuTuVIPDined on 3/29/2014I thought the food was great. Service was wonderful especially dealing with 2 children. However, I was sad to see the restaurant was empty. They need to advertise.Special Features:
- Amazing local gourmet foodAravenDined on 3/27/2014Healthy, local food, in dishes put together by talented chefs. We had a wonderful time at this too-often-overlooked restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One night stop overOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/21/2014I recommend the restaurant. The service was very good and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rather plainValentineDined on 2/14/2014Atmosphere well kept, neat & clean. Decor rather unremarkable. Food very good, but nothing to rave about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Valentine's DayCindyDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentine's Day and had a fabulous meal. My husband had a shrimp appetizer that was delicious and plentiful. Our steaks were done just the way we both liked them. The green beans were fresh and tasty. For dessert they wowed us with the best chocolate pot de creme I've ever had. We ordered two different glasses of wine and they were both excellent. We had a very special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayCampbellDined on 2/14/2014We made reservations for Valentine' Day and were seating promptly. The 4-Course Dinner for Two was wonderful and worth the money. The TVs on the walls were a little distracting for a romantic dinner, but I understand that's great for game days, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely perfect!UNCHeels1190Dined on 2/14/2014I went with my boyfriend for Valentines day. The service was amazing and they greeted us with two glasses of champagne and a rose for me. The portion sizes were more than enough for the price and my filet was cooked perfectly. My boyfriend said that his salmon was the best he's had. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- We didn't even stay to eatMrsHDined on 12/28/2013Came here for a romantic dinner with my husband. A Chris Brown dance track was blasting from their speakers and the lights were bright. We were handed lunch menus and my husband had to retrieve dinner menus himself. The waitress finally brought water, but the disappeared. We decided this was not the place we wanted to spend our romantic evening (or our money), so I checked Open Table and placed a reservation at another restaurant. I felt a twinge of guilt as we stepped out of our Denny's-risqué booth, but all of the guilt left when we tried to say goodbye and apologize, but our waitress was, again, nowhere to be found. Try glasshalfull or Provence in Carrboro instead if you care about ambience, service, wine, and food.
- Christmas evening...mehElizabethLittleDined on 12/25/2013Perhaps judging a restaurant on Christmas is not fair...but here is our experience. Clearly they were understaffed. We had reservations but waited15 minutes in a nearly empty restaurant. The hostess was running back to the kitchen and the bar. Orders were taken by 3 different people. The food, chicken tortilla soup and crispy honey siracha shrimp was just OK...soup tasty but not hot, shrimp were crispy to the point of resisting a fork and the sauce unbalanced and overly sweet. The shrimp and grits were also just OK. There are many better versions around here. We wondered if the kitchen staff was being assisted by the wait staff and was not reflective of their usual output. Unless we hear many more good comments, we won't be back.
- Good food; good serviceMIkeyMikeDined on 12/25/2013We enjoyed our meal at 1663. It's in a very convenient location and great handicapped accessibility. Our server was very attentive. We had to wait an hour for our meal, so they comped us a couple desserts, which the kids were thrilled with. We had an issue with the check, but we were able to resolve the issue after working with the restaurants accounting department after the course of a week. They are new and still have some things to work out, but I liked the food and the staff I dealt with over the check issue. I will definitely give them a second chance.Special Features:
- It is located in a SheratonNewInTownDined on 11/28/2013It is located in a Sheraton Hotel, very clean with a nice décor. The food was good, but not memorable to want me to come back again. Food and drink was overpriced. We had two people help with our service, but it was still slow. When we went to the restaurant they had just finished the Thanksgiving buffet where they apparently had huge crowds, but it was very quiet when we arrived. I was expecting more people and a more lively, festive environment. I was also expecting that turkey and all the fixings to be offered for dinner, but not the case. The experience just fell flat for me.Special Features:
- Kar Ok Food no so muchFoodieVIPDined on 11/23/2013Nice looking place with a beautiful bar. Sparkling wine was flat, shrimp and grits and blue-cheese burger both bland , no spark or anything special (shrimp cooked then added on top of a tomato like sauce over plain grits). Great service.Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2013My husband and I decided to try 1663 for lunch and were not disappointed. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious, and the prices were far more reasonable than Shula's (the previous tenant). We will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find for hotel restaurantfoodnutVIPDined on 10/18/2013Most hotel restaurants have bland, run of the mill menu choices, but this one had many items of locally grown foods, all delicious. Obvious care from the chef went into the preparation of our meals. Chicken was moist, with a delectable pecan crust. The shrimp and grits, a popular item, was done to perfection! The cost was very reasonable. This is a good choice for tourists or locals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine listVisitingUNCDined on 9/28/2013The wine list was great! Mixed reviews on food. Some dishes were very good and others jot so much. The Mac and cheese was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around fineesfoodieVIPDined on 9/25/2013What a fine place...good and interesting menu, pleasant surroundings, whether in the bar or the dining room, nice personnel...we love this place. It's not crowded (not sure if that's a good or a bad sign)...we always enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New restaurant w/ some minor kinksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2013Visited Carolina 1663 for the first time where we found that the appetizers & main courses were attractively presented and enjoyed by both couples. It was obvious that it was a new restaurant as while the service was very good, we still had some questions for which that the server had to check the answers. Our only negative was the biscuit & mixed fruit dessert, which had little, if any flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceLO923Dined on 9/18/2013Went out with our office for a birthday lunch. The staff was very nice but service was very slow. Took a long time to even get our drinks to the table. When the food finally did arrive, we all enjoyed our lunches! Delicious! I think the reason the service was slow is that our waitress was training someone which is understandable. Would definitely go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and selection but ...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2013Waitress was nice but didn't get drinks fast or order taken for longer than my table of five in a basically empty place would have preferred given we dined early in the evening and there wasn't a crowd to Waite on...good food...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/2/2013We found Carolina 1663 on OpenTable by chance. We didn't realize it was part of the Sheraton. When we arrived, we saw that it was attached to the hotel and began to worry. We've all been to those restaurants next to hotels that are awful, but we had a reservation so we went in anyway. I am glad we did. The food was great, including dessert. I would definitely recommend this place to others and plan to go back myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre at best!2ndwishDined on 8/30/2013Our waiter was friendly but inexperienced . For a restaurant that bill itself as "Southern cuisine" one would think the sweet iced tea would be wonderful - it was not. In fact, I am pretty sure it was instant tea! I asked the waiter for his opinion between 2 entrees and took his recommendation - if that was the better of the 2, am glad I did not go with my instinct! Our appetizer/salad were the best part of the meal...both of our entrees were mediocre at best. And with each having 1 alcoholic beverage, an appetizer or salad, and 1 entree, our meal was nearly $100 - in our opinion, WAY too much for not great food.
- Comfort food served with class.chevalier212VIPDined on 8/15/2013Rex, the manager, and Clare, our waitress, were personable, accommodating, and exceeded our every need. We received a free round of drinks the restaurant had made for promotional photos for no reason other than the manager wanted to do something kind. When they didn't have the bottle of wine we ordered in stock, they offered to sell us a nicer bottle at the same price. They allowed us to taste a small sample of a dish we were curious about before ordering. ALL the dishes we ordered in our party of 5 were delicious. We were ready to be disappointed because they'd only been open a few weeks, but the entire experience was outstanding. They are to be commended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/25/2013I loved Shulas & was disappointed it was changing to One Blue Hill but tried to be open minded. Made a reservation & learned it had changed again to Carolina 1663. My friend & I each ordered a glass of wine-she was told they were "out of" the wine she wanted, she had to order a different kind that was more expensive per glass. They were also "out of" the market fish of the day. I asked for some bread and was told she thought they were "out of" that also (she apparently found some). The bleu cheese dressing (used to be amazing) was horrible (very tangy & tasted store-bought). Filet wasn't great, they no longer carry Bernaise sauce. Green beans were bland. The only good items were the mashed potatoes and the sweet potato cheesecake. Fail!
- Great hotel foodFlowerShockVIPDined on 7/16/2013We were in town for a college visit. The service was great and the staff was very attentive. The menu was recently revised and the selection was great for everyone in our group. The food was fresh and the desserts were awesome.Special Features:
- first time at one blue hillluv2eatDined on 6/16/2013Wonderful seafood appetizer. Main dishes were Flavorful and served hot. Will go againSpecial Features:
- Great food and great servicelhb87VIPDined on 6/11/2012Great food and great service as always at Shula's!Special Features:
- We went to Shula's on Mother'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012We went to Shula's on Mother's Day. The service was outstanding! However, we felt the price charged for the Mother's Day brunch was too much, especially because the Mother's Day Buffet had very limited offerings in a back room of the restaurant. The cook making the omelets was nice and friendly, but had no clue as to how to make an omelet -- mine was runny uncooked eggs and inedible. It's a fine location for a Mother's Day brunch and the dining room is elegant and the tables are well-spaced. The price should be lowered though--We had to pay about $230 for a brunch for 8 people (no alcoholic drinks) which in this economy, is excessive. We would return to Shula's for Mother's Day brunch if you can keep the cost at or below $18 per persSpecial Features:
- I was a bit disappointed theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2012I was a bit disappointed the last time we went because they no longer serve the flatiron chimichurri steak dish. however, it is still good food, just no longer the shining star.Special Features:
- We were seated 35 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2011We were seated 35 minutes after the reservation and finally received bread an hour after the reservation (which we asked for 3 times). The steaks were undercooked and had to be returned to the kitchen. We finished most of the meal without any water refills...we have enjoyed going here in the past, but we will definitely not return.
- Bad service. Our waiter forgotLovegr8foodDined on 9/17/2011Bad service. Our waiter forgot my husband's salad. And this was my husband's birthday celebration. I put that on the reservation. No one acknowledged it. Our waiter was very inexperienced and it showed. For these kind of prices we should have gotten top notch service. We will not be going back.Special Features: