702 West Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carnivalechicago.com/
- Phone: 3128505005x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 5pm– 10 pm
Monday - Tuesday 11:30am – 11pm
Wednesday - Thursday 11:30am – 11pm
Friday 11:30am – 1am
Saturday 5pm – 1am
Monday-Friday 11:30am- 2:30PM
*Complimentary Valet Parking until 4:00PM
Sunday - 10:30am - 3:00pm
*Complimentary Valet Parking
Monday-Tuesday - 11:30am-11pm
*$7 Valet Parking for Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rodolfo Cuadros
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Wed + Thurs Nights: Live music in the Lounge 5PM-8PM
Carnivale University Classes available please visit Carnivalechicago.com for more details.
- Cross Street: Halsted
- Public Transit: Bus:
The #8 Halsted at Fulton Market/Lake: 2 minute walk
The # 65 Grand Avenue at Desplaines:10 minute walk
The # 56 Milwaukee stops at Fulton/Desplaines: 2 minute walk
The Blue Line at Milwaukee/Grand: 10 minute walk
The Pink Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
The Green Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary Lunch Valet, Mon-Fri 11:30am-4:00pm
$7 Valet Parking for Dinner
A word from Carnivale
Carnivale is a reflection of Latin culture and community, as passionate as the people themselves. The soulful cuisine allows you to explore the dishes of Cuba, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, El Salvador, and Mexico. The kaleidoscope of colors, music and playful décor ignites the sense of being in a Latin house party. Executive Chef Rodolfo Cuadros supports the Green City Market and uses as many local, sustainable ingredients as possible out of concern for the environment and community. Carnivale is the perfect location for your lunch, dinner, birthday, anniversary, wedding or corporate event. Carnivale has hosted exciting events such as Oprah’s “Color Purple” release party, the “Batman: The Dark Night Returns” wrap party and a private event with John Legend. Carnivale is located in Chicago’s West Loop, just off the expressway and close to downtown. It's also a quick CTA ride from Michigan Ave, Navy Pier or the Art Institute of Chicago.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carnivale reviews from OpenTable diners
342 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (217)good for groups (216)fit for foodies (162)hot spot (139)romantic (123)vibrant bar scene (108)neighborhood gem (64)late-night find (56)notable wine list (46)scenic view (39)great for outdoor dining (34)great for brunch (33)great for lunch (33)kid-friendly (16)Show More
- Complete DisappointmentFoodie2Dined on 10/18/2014Being at Carnivale before, I felt like we went into a completely different establishment (Not in a good way). We were sat at a table as soon as you enter into the dining room. (Not an area for a table) Every person that walks by (and you have to walk by this table to enter the dining room), bangs into the isle chair. After about the 25th time of both staff and guests banging into us we asked for another table. The floor manager seemed put-out by this request, he never apologized for the situation and then sat us in the exact type seating, on a busy corner where mainly staff members continued to bang into the isle chair. At that point we COULD NOT WAIT TO LEAVE, paid the check, we took one last around knowing this would be our last visit.
- Food priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The cost of the short rib costed too much. I had to go out for fast food right after because it didn't fill me up. A side dish with it would be nice. The good thing is that the short rib was one of the best meat I had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Place was northing short of spectacular, as soon as you walked in you feel the energy and in a very good way. Speciality cocktails are catered to all types of drinkers and the food was absolutely delicious! Will be back many time to come!Special Features:
- amazing space and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014I just love the space. The food was exceptional, except for a caesar salad, which was meh. The ceviche and guacamole appetizers were particularly yummy. The servers were great, and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceneighborVIPDined on 10/16/2014Both times, the food was delicious and the server service was great. Just a fair rating because of management. The first time we dined there, ON A MONDAY, the host would not seat the 2 of us until until our 2 friends arrived, not permitting us to have drinks and appetizers at our table (so we went down the block for dessert and more drinks after dinner). The restaurant was less than 25% full all that evening. This time, the restaurant was empty but the host tried to seat us at a table at the entrance. When asked for a different table we were put RIGHT NEXT TO THE KITCHEN, able to view the kitchen every couple of seconds. Never again.Special Features:
- Great MealLisaDined on 10/14/2014I went here with a few friends and truly enjoyed the food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Well worth the visitISpyGuyDined on 10/11/2014This was my first time to Carnivale and it is now on my list of places to eat when I want a good environment that guarantees good food. We go their early and the bar was a great environment to hang out with some well-made Mojito’s and Sangria. When were ordered the food was timely and I expected smaller portions but the amount of food on my plate surprised me. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a Latin fusion restaurant in downtown Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- victoria30Dined on 10/11/2014Food we Delicious as always. Our server did not really impress me that much. He was very nice, however it seemed every other table would get their drinks with out having to flag him down. All three times I wanted another drink I had to flag him down, which was a little annoying, especially since I would put my empty glass on the side of table. Anyways, we had an 8pm reservation and go in before that, and the food was great!Special Features:
- Great place, great food.homecookfoodieDined on 10/10/2014Carnivale was an excellent dining experience. The wait staff was always only point and knowledgeable, but were not slamming you constantly. The food was excellent, we had the guacamole, calamari, crab cake, and octopus. I do not usually like crab cake and it was one of the best I had because it was lump crab meat and it was not to bread crumby. While the octopus was cooked to perfection in the octopus plate, the other accompaniments left more to be desired. The large white beans were there unnecessarily. I think the keep could be changed to remove those beans and add a different starch--they just weren't working. The octopus was definitely the star, and I am glad about that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Great restaurant. Been there many times and loved it. This time took guests from out of town. VERY SLOW SERVICE! Food took almost an hour and a half. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Very Delicious!goodfoodisgoodDined on 10/10/2014I really enjoyed all of the delectable delights this place had to offer. The specialty cocktails were suburb and the food was outstanding! I wasn't crazy about where we sat. I was looking forward to being in the main room and we were seated in a room off to the side in a corner next to the water. I would have understood if the place was packed or if I made my reservation at the last minute, but I made my reservation at least three or four days in advance and when we got there the place was nowhere near packed. It was a special occasion so I guess I wanted more ambiance than what we got. That's my only complaint really! Everything else was super grand!Special Features:
- Great Food, Service SlippingDFIDinerVIPDined on 10/8/2014We go here regularly. Love the atmosphere and the food. Short ribs were the favorite of the evening and the ropa vieja and empanadas never fail. But, the service is starting to slip. Time between apps and entrees was at least 30 minutes. Time to clear plates and take dessert order was a good 15 minutes after it was clear we were done with our mains. Second time in a row the service was slipping.
- Carnivale is AMAZINGDreaDreaDined on 10/8/2014I was wowed by the service, the ambiance, the vibrant colors, the Mardi Gras feel, and the food. I would bring my friends, my family, my girlfriends and have a good time. Beautiful place, really glad I took a chance and checked this place out; I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014The service was attentive and the selection of food uniqueSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/6/2014For all the many restaurants in Chicago that offer such flavorful food, Carnivale kind of rates somewhere in the fair to good category.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerChicago1Dined on 10/4/2014Showed up 30 min prior to reservation time. Seated shortly after arrival with a 5-10 min wait on a Sat night for our anniversary dinner. Waiter saw our cards & gifts on the table and brought a complimentary cotton candy for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnivale - The Best!!!SheBeastDined on 10/4/2014OMG! They have the best tasting food ever! Just delicious - had a couple appetizers that were to die for, then on to the main entree with sides, just delish! And dessert, Oy!, the absolute best Lava Cake and Banana Creme Pie ever! Expensive, but if you haven't gone here to dine you are missing out...Special Features:
- UnhappyLizzDined on 10/4/2014I have been going to Carnaval since 2007 I also had my wedding reception there March 2009 I am very unhappy with the service and food I received yesterday while dining with friends and I will never be back very sad
- Once again a superb experienceRobertVIPDined on 10/4/2014Our favorite Chicago restaurant! The main room is open, brightly colored, inviting. Food is excellent. We had the ceviche sampler (all four of the current ceviche offerings), guacamole, ropa (small tacos of flank steak, plantains, cheese), mushroom coca (sautéed mushrooms, warm goat cheese and arugula on flat bread) and banana pie for desert. It was a perfect meal. Server Oscar was attentive without being intrusive, making just right suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedChicagoAnnVIPDined on 10/3/2014This was our first time visit to Carnivale and we LOVED the lovely, vibrant, colorful atmposhpere. However, even though we asked our server to not bring our entrees until after our appetiser, the appetiser arrived before we were finished. -We were two people sharing one appetiser so the kitchen was way too fast. Though we enjoyed the enviorment and our entree selections, we We did feel rushed through the entire meal which is unfortunate.Special Features:
- Wow----feeds the senses, toofoodgirlVIPDined on 10/2/2014I had seen this restaurant and have always wanted to dine there. After the opera last week, I took a small group to Carnivale. It surpassed my expectations. Not only is the ambiance and decor extremely unique----VERY colorful--beautiful lanterns and other interesting decor. So I thought---the ambiance and look is great, but what about the food. The food was outstanding. We had the short rib appetizer and the goat cheese flatbread along with the paella---all delicious! I would definitely recommend this west loop restaurant. It is just a short walk from train station---very convenient. It would be a great place to go for a celebration---since the surroundings are a celebration in themselves.Special Features:
- julianneDined on 9/30/2014Great atmosphere and a real find in the West Loop, where there are few restaurants that would be good for a business lunch. Lots of variety on menu and many unusual choices. This was my second visit and I liked it even more than the first time. Though it still seems pricey.Special Features:
- no ribs....foodNetworkDined on 9/28/2014We went for ribs. ...they were OUT of the ribs....Really?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodluv2dineDined on 9/27/2014We have been here many times and its always a great experience with great tasting food. For any occasion or just because it's a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- munchinmommaDined on 9/27/2014We went to celebrate 3 birthdays. It was fabulous! The décor was amazing and made the ambiance perfect for a celebration. The wait staff was wonderful - there when you needed but not hovering. Our server, Oscar was the best. He was extremely knowledgeable and helpful with choosing all of our food and beverage choices. The food was fantastic!!! You could tell that the chef was top notch.Special Features:
- Disappointed a previous supporterFamilyoffinediningDined on 9/27/2014I made a reservation for a birthday celebration on open table. The reservation was at 5:30 just 30 minutes after they open. our party of 5 was seated in the back and said this is where they seat the larger parties. I had dined there a number of times and had large parties and was never seated in the back so I knew he was lying as well while going to the back we passed numerous large tables in the main dining area! When a restaurant is not concerned with a patrons enjoyment of their dining experience I am not a fan! They are also not an establishment that is sensitive to food allergies. I have a fresh garlic allergy I ordered a steak and there were no accommodations. I are a white sox game and they made adjustments! Will not go back!Special Features:
- Not the greatestLuv2EatDined on 9/25/2014Not what I expected... Menu is different from a few years ago. Not a good choice!Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014We went as a romantic, coupley type night...The main menu was a little pricey for us ($30 a plate on average), so we ordered a bunch of their appetizers and they were fantastic. The waiter was great and recommended the best apps and our bill was not bad at the end for what we got.Special Features:
- Love the Latin VibeAmaKDined on 9/24/2014Overall this place was phenomenal! The drinks had a unique twist on classic. The food was heavenly - we shared 4 apps between 2 people because we wanted to try an array of food and it was all good! I'll most definitely be going back.Special Features:
- it is differentDewiVIPDined on 9/20/2014if you are a fan of Latin and Mexican food, you will love it. If you are more into traditional meals, it might be a bit different for you. My wife and I are more of a traditional eaters, so we didn't love the food. Other people with us loved the food. So, it really depends on your taste. As for the ambiance, it is really very nice, very colorful and very cheerful. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Overall Great PickLaurenDined on 9/20/2014Overall, this was a great restaurant to try! The decor was very cool and you did feel like you were in a Brazilian carnival. The food could not have been better, everything we had was excellent. The steaks were cooked to perfection, which is always my biggest concern. My only issue was with the service. I understand at a place like this they try to turn the tables over quickly, but we made it known to our server that we wanted to enjoy our meal and take our time. He backed off a bit and after dessert was brought to us, it took about 45 minutes for him to bring the check. Also, if you're looking for a quiet, romantic dinner, this is not the place. It is a noisy restaurant, but not bothersome to me.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful evening at Carnivale. The atmosphere is fun, service impeccable and the food rated A+ ( in presentation, taste, and uniqueness). We especially appreciated our waiter (Jorge) who gave us excellent suggestions, so we tasted delicious food that we wouldn't have ordered otherwise.Special Features:
- Great place for under 30 crowdJustDaveDined on 9/20/2014Wife and I are 50-somethings visiting Chicago to drop off our daughter for college. We chose Carnivale based on a recommendation that it was a fun place for young people. This proved to be spot on. Very loud and lively nightclub atmosphere made wife and I feel old and out of place. Food was interesting, tasty, but not spectacular. Guacamole was excellent. I liked the scallops but my better half thought the sauce was too sweet. Daughter and I also enjoyed the ropa vieja, which she said reminded her of grandma's tsimmis meat. Might have rated a 4 overall, but knocked down to a 3 because our 8-o'clock reservation turned into an 8:30 seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnivale is kingSpamVR6Dined on 9/19/2014My wife and I have been to Carnivale on numerous occasions and have never not had an amazing experience. The menu is constantly changing but never for the worse. And the atmosphere is one of a kind and fantastic. I highly recommend for any locals or visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Food was amazing, had the octopus a la plancha, and it was unbelievable. So many different spices and flavors. Same with the entrees. I highly recommned this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ANT1Dined on 9/18/2014I have been to this restaurant a few times and have never been disappointed. The good is excellent and so is the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent ambience!Foodie86Dined on 9/17/2014The food at Carnivale was exceptional. They could have a larger variety for vegetarians, but the limited offerings were very tasty as well. The dessert was absolutely delightful - it was the special of the day and the included blood orange ice cream, which to a lot of people might sound like it's a sorbet. It wasn't. It was creamy and flavorful and all the ingredients worked perfectly. The wait-staff were courteous and extremely friendly. They knew the menu well and made some excellent suggestions. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- moniDined on 9/14/2014Great place to eat. I was surprised with the reasonally price menu.Special Features:
- Always a TreatChicGourmetVIPDined on 9/14/2014As always, brunch was delicious and fun. The live music creates a most festive atmosphere but is not so loud as to drown out conversation. The bacon-wrapped dates are tasty but were overcooked, sadly. Fried plantains were, however, marvelous. My favorite dish was the set of addictive tacos featuring pulled steak topped with cheese and a mildly spicy sauce. Also delightful were the feather light and lacy ricotta pancakes with blueberries. There's a good array of dishes to choose from, including chilaquiles and key lime French toast. Service was very good and attentive, although there seems to be some disconnect between the wait staff and the kitchen as special requests don't seem to be well heeded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for many occasionsInespenavaDined on 9/13/2014I went here with my boyfriend for our anniversary, and I thought I wouldn't be able to find a table, however we got lucky through open table. I have been here before for a friends birthday and it was just great. Food is delicious, drinks ( sangria) was great. We had guacamole, I had chicken with truffle mash potato, so so good. My boyfriend had salmon and he was happy with his plate as well. This place has a great decor, atmosphere. Good for a happy occasion or a romantic dinner, or just a delicious meal. Prices are a bit higher, but decent enough for delicious food you enjoy. I highly recommended, and can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.