702 West Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carnivalechicago.com/
- Phone: 3128505005x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 5pm– 10 pm
Monday - Tuesday 11:30am – 11pm
Wednesday - Thursday 11:30am – 11pm
Friday 11:30am – 1am
Saturday 5pm – 1am
Monday-Friday 11:30am- 2:30PM
*Complimentary Valet Parking until 4:00PM
Sunday - 10:30am - 3:00pm
*Complimentary Valet Parking
Monday-Tuesday - 11:30am-11pm
*$7 Valet Parking for Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rodolfo Cuadros
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Wed + Thurs Nights: Live music in the Lounge 5PM-8PM
Carnivale University Classes available please visit Carnivalechicago.com for more details.
- Cross Street: Halsted
- Public Transit: Bus:
The #8 Halsted at Fulton Market/Lake: 2 minute walk
The # 65 Grand Avenue at Desplaines:10 minute walk
The # 56 Milwaukee stops at Fulton/Desplaines: 2 minute walk
The Blue Line at Milwaukee/Grand: 10 minute walk
The Pink Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
The Green Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary Lunch Valet, Mon-Fri 11:30am-4:00pm
$7 Valet Parking for Dinner
A word from Carnivale
Carnivale is a reflection of Latin culture and community, as passionate as the people themselves. The soulful cuisine allows you to explore the dishes of Cuba, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, El Salvador, and Mexico. The kaleidoscope of colors, music and playful décor ignites the sense of being in a Latin house party. Executive Chef Rodolfo Cuadros supports the Green City Market and uses as many local, sustainable ingredients as possible out of concern for the environment and community. Carnivale is the perfect location for your lunch, dinner, birthday, anniversary, wedding or corporate event. Carnivale has hosted exciting events such as Oprah’s “Color Purple” release party, the “Batman: The Dark Night Returns” wrap party and a private event with John Legend. Carnivale is located in Chicago’s West Loop, just off the expressway and close to downtown. It's also a quick CTA ride from Michigan Ave, Navy Pier or the Art Institute of Chicago.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carnivale reviews from OpenTable diners
326 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (209)good for groups (206)fit for foodies (153)hot spot (126)romantic (123)vibrant bar scene (103)neighborhood gem (61)late-night find (53)notable wine list (44)great for outdoor dining (37)great for brunch (35)scenic view (32)great for lunch (26)kid-friendly (19)Show More
- it is differentDewiVIPDined on 9/20/2014if you are a fan of Latin and Mexican food, you will love it. If you are more into traditional meals, it might be a bit different for you. My wife and I are more of a traditional eaters, so we didn't love the food. Other people with us loved the food. So, it really depends on your taste. As for the ambiance, it is really very nice, very colorful and very cheerful. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Overall Great PickLaurenDined on 9/20/2014Overall, this was a great restaurant to try! The decor was very cool and you did feel like you were in a Brazilian carnival. The food could not have been better, everything we had was excellent. The steaks were cooked to perfection, which is always my biggest concern. My only issue was with the service. I understand at a place like this they try to turn the tables over quickly, but we made it known to our server that we wanted to enjoy our meal and take our time. He backed off a bit and after dessert was brought to us, it took about 45 minutes for him to bring the check. Also, if you're looking for a quiet, romantic dinner, this is not the place. It is a noisy restaurant, but not bothersome to me.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful evening at Carnivale. The atmosphere is fun, service impeccable and the food rated A+ ( in presentation, taste, and uniqueness). We especially appreciated our waiter (Jorge) who gave us excellent suggestions, so we tasted delicious food that we wouldn't have ordered otherwise.Special Features:
- Great place for under 30 crowdOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Wife and I are 50-somethings visiting Chicago to drop off our daughter for college. We chose Carnivale based on a recommendation that it was a fun place for young people. This proved to be spot on. Very loud and lively nightclub atmosphere made wife and I feel old and out of place. Food was interesting, tasty, but not spectacular. Guacamole was excellent. I liked the scallops but my better half thought the sauce was too sweet. Daughter and I also enjoyed the ropa vieja, which she said reminded her of grandma's tsimmis meat. Might have rated a 4 overall, but knocked down to a 3 because our 8-o'clock reservation turned into an 8:30 seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnivale is kingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014My wife and I have been to Carnivale on numerous occasions and have never not had an amazing experience. The menu is constantly changing but never for the worse. And the atmosphere is one of a kind and fantastic. I highly recommend for any locals or visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Food was amazing, had the octopus a la plancha, and it was unbelievable. So many different spices and flavors. Same with the entrees. I highly recommned this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ANT1Dined on 9/18/2014I have been to this restaurant a few times and have never been disappointed. The good is excellent and so is the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent ambience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The food at Carnivale was exceptional. They could have a larger variety for vegetarians, but the limited offerings were very tasty as well. The dessert was absolutely delightful - it was the special of the day and the included blood orange ice cream, which to a lot of people might sound like it's a sorbet. It wasn't. It was creamy and flavorful and all the ingredients worked perfectly. The wait-staff were courteous and extremely friendly. They knew the menu well and made some excellent suggestions. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Always a TreatChicGourmetVIPDined on 9/14/2014As always, brunch was delicious and fun. The live music creates a most festive atmosphere but is not so loud as to drown out conversation. The bacon-wrapped dates are tasty but were overcooked, sadly. Fried plantains were, however, marvelous. My favorite dish was the set of addictive tacos featuring pulled steak topped with cheese and a mildly spicy sauce. Also delightful were the feather light and lacy ricotta pancakes with blueberries. There's a good array of dishes to choose from, including chilaquiles and key lime French toast. Service was very good and attentive, although there seems to be some disconnect between the wait staff and the kitchen as special requests don't seem to be well heeded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for many occasionsInespenavaDined on 9/13/2014I went here with my boyfriend for our anniversary, and I thought I wouldn't be able to find a table, however we got lucky through open table. I have been here before for a friends birthday and it was just great. Food is delicious, drinks ( sangria) was great. We had guacamole, I had chicken with truffle mash potato, so so good. My boyfriend had salmon and he was happy with his plate as well. This place has a great decor, atmosphere. Good for a happy occasion or a romantic dinner, or just a delicious meal. Prices are a bit higher, but decent enough for delicious food you enjoy. I highly recommended, and can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Carnivale is in my top 10 restaurants in Chicago: food is great, atmosphere is fun, service is fantastic and the drinks are delicious. I've been here a numer of times and I've never been disappointed. If you are considering Carnivale for dinner---go! You will enjoy the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014The food was fabulous and the restaurant is bright and fun.Special Features:
- A mustFood4EverDined on 9/13/2014Nice place for a date night. Service was great and food came out quick. Very satisfied with the apps, entrées, and drinks.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodLidaDined on 9/7/2014I have been to Carnivale for Dinner, Lunch, Brunch and for private events. I have NEVER been disappointed with their food or their service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014The service and food were outstanding. Arrived an hour before our scheduled reservation and was worried we wouldn't be seated right away but they were very helpful and attentive to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakMaviDined on 9/1/2014We love the creekstone steak. It was delicious. My husband and I shared it as it's a good portion. The truffle mashed potatoes are great as well.Special Features:
- its carnivale...wizzo45Dined on 8/30/2014Maybe we ordered wrong, maybe it's not as good as it used to be. Still fun, still good service, but it is what it is for food....I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is still my favorite!Bethechange8Dined on 8/30/2014Even though I have traveled the US Mexico Puerto Rico and Hawaii this is still my favorite restaurant of all time. Love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding wait staffm943Dined on 8/29/2014I have food intolerances to dairy and egg, which often makes my dining experience difficult or embarrassing when out with friends. Our waiter was very good, checking on the menu for me to see what I could have and making very good recommendations based on that knowledge. I ended up with great food that I loved, and the whole process was seamless rather than difficult and disruptive as it often is.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Everyone in my group really enjoyed dining at Carnivale. The food was great, we couldn't decide what dishes we wanted, so we tried a little of everything and shared all of our dishes.Special Features:
- Great food excellent servicebigsantiagoDined on 8/27/2014was seated immediately. Great food.another man not my waiter gave me a taste of liquor I never had before. That was very nice. Server was knowledgeable and very kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trisha14Dined on 8/24/2014We always wanted to check this spot and we did! Our anniversary was celebrated with some friend we all were first timer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeyrogerg281VIPDined on 8/22/2014Had heard from several people that this was a great spot. Went there and had a real good time out with college friends...
- Decent time, would not returnjsmhDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant had a lot of potential. The food was great and so was the decor. Some of the patrons proved to be disturbing, however, and a dress code of some sort should definitely be enforced. Also, the photobooth downstairs should be replaced with one that isn't completely awful. Overall experience and value for the price made Carnivale a definite one-time experience.Special Features:
- Long wait for fooddcoopsDined on 8/21/2014We came with a larger group (7) and food was okay but nothing very special except the octopus appetizer. The main courses took almost 1 1/2 hours to come out and I'm not exactly sure why. Was a convenient meet-up spot and nice enough space, but I don't think I will go back.Special Features:
- 1st time at carnivaleFoodie4lifeDined on 8/20/2014Food and service was great, ambience was vibrant and colorful, I has seafood paella which I didn't care for, next time I'll go for chicken dish, my bf who was turning 40 had the halibut special which was excellent, highly recommend, and love that our waiter brought out cotton candy and caramel corn for birthday boy.Special Features:
- Second time as good as the first!shoechic101Dined on 8/19/2014I took a group of colleagues and clients here, as a result of my first visit about 2 years ago. The second time was just as great, and the choice was a hit with everyone. Great food, outstanding service (javier was our server), fun drink selection, energetic atmosphere. I will definitely come back when in Chicago, and most certainly recommend to friends looking for a great dining optionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time for lunchSullyLoverVIPDined on 8/19/2014Did the Tuesday B2G2 deal but even though I told waiter and put it in the res it still wasnt discounted til I brought it to his attention. Server josh not super attentive but was accommodating of our group, as we had a few latercomers join.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and scenery!!WineloverDined on 8/16/2014The menu had changed since the last time I was there. The food was still great and the decor was vibrant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodDelisiousDined on 8/16/2014Service was Outstanding. Our Waiter was Very Pleasant. I acknowleded my Girlfriend All night as the Bday Girl. The Food was Excellent as well. I would come back again. I do think the next time,as My girlfriend mentioned, We will sit on the patio overlooking the hwy or maybe the upper Level Overlooking the entire Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent food, nice selection of Latin inspired fare. Our server was Oscar, and he was very attentive to our requests. We had the skirt steak, and strip. Both were cooked to perfection, and excellent. Restaurant décor is very festive. Noise level is a bit high. Somewhat difficult to have a conversation. Overall would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Delicious Food!YumsDined on 8/15/2014The ambiance was very nice. It felt like we had been transported to carnivale in Brazil! (well not quite, but the colors and darkness definitely gave it a Latin theme). Server was very helpful in recommending dishes. We had the rojas for appetizers which were very good (little tacos with savory steak, quesso fresco cheese, and tomatoes. We also ordered the charcuterie plate. The meat was a little more on the dry side for my taste, but the cheeses, mustard, grapes, and nuts made up for this. We both ordered coconut mojitos which were very good. For entrees, we had the churasaca, which was a long skirt steak with chimichuri and asparagus and fried plantains and the short ribs which were incredibly tender. Both of the dishes were delicious.Special Features:
- DoriDined on 8/15/2014Carnivale never disappoints. The atmosphere is great, the food is delicious and artfully displayed, and the staff is warm and friendly. We've mentioned it to several friends who now want to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, inside and on the roof!KathyODined on 8/15/2014We opened the place up about 5:45 but it was rocking by the time we left about 8:30. We were intrigued by how often our server Michael mentioned veggies and herbs that came straight from their rooftop garden, so we asked if we could see it-- and got a personal tour from chef Carlos Garza! Amazing--dozens of huge tomato plants (many of them heirlooms), peppers, tomatillos, herbs; what a nice surprise. Food was great. The sampler of ceviches was a great way to start. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014My experience at Carnivale was not a good one. Food and service was not what we were expecting. It was a special occasion, my fiancee birthday, and wasnt very pleased with their friendliness.Special Features:
- ChrisDined on 8/13/2014Showed up a little early for my reservation. They had no problem seating us immediately. Food was good, came out pretty fast. Service was attentive, the server re-folded my napkin for me while I was in the bathroom. Certainly not used to that detail, but then again it's rare I go to a place this nice. Would certainly come back and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingadventurousdinerDined on 8/12/2014This was my third time dining at Carnivale & it was rather disappointing. Service was quite slow and eventually they brought me the wrong entree. Ambience is lively, hence my return, and food is good, though not great, and not good enough to outweigh the poor service and mistakes.Special Features:
- dinerDined on 8/10/2014Food was excellent and very timely. The staff was friendly, courteous, professional and didn't hover. but they were there when we needed something or had a question. Staff also had some good recommendations for each course, the waiter obviously knew the menu very well. The menu and environment was also very well connected. It was a very enjoyable meal and event. I have had a good experience every time we have been to Carnivale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun times!UVEyeDined on 8/8/2014Great place for a date or a girls night. Discovered this place during restaurant and decided to return. Definitely a good decision & I will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Fun,energetic restaurant. Great before United center events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.