702 West Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carnivalechicago.com/
- Phone: 3128505005x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 5pm– 10 pm
Monday - Tuesday 11:30am – 11pm
Wednesday - Thursday 11:30am – 11pm
Friday 11:30am – 1am
Saturday 5pm – 1am
Monday-Friday 11:30am- 2:30PM
*Complimentary Valet Parking until 4:00PM
Sunday - 10:30am - 3:00pm
*Complimentary Valet Parking
Monday-Tuesday - 11:30am-11pm
*$7 Valet Parking for Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rodolfo Cuadros
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Wed + Thurs Nights: Live music in the Lounge 5PM-8PM
Carnivale University Classes available please visit Carnivalechicago.com for more details.
- Cross Street: Halsted
- Public Transit: Bus:
The #8 Halsted at Fulton Market/Lake: 2 minute walk
The # 65 Grand Avenue at Desplaines:10 minute walk
The # 56 Milwaukee stops at Fulton/Desplaines: 2 minute walk
The Blue Line at Milwaukee/Grand: 10 minute walk
The Pink Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
The Green Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary Lunch Valet, Mon-Fri 11:30am-4:00pm
$7 Valet Parking for Dinner
A word from Carnivale
Carnivale is a reflection of Latin culture and community, as passionate as the people themselves. The soulful cuisine allows you to explore the dishes of Cuba, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, El Salvador, and Mexico. The kaleidoscope of colors, music and playful décor ignites the sense of being in a Latin house party. Executive Chef Rodolfo Cuadros supports the Green City Market and uses as many local, sustainable ingredients as possible out of concern for the environment and community. Carnivale is the perfect location for your lunch, dinner, birthday, anniversary, wedding or corporate event. Carnivale has hosted exciting events such as Oprah’s “Color Purple” release party, the “Batman: The Dark Night Returns” wrap party and a private event with John Legend. Carnivale is located in Chicago’s West Loop, just off the expressway and close to downtown. It's also a quick CTA ride from Michigan Ave, Navy Pier or the Art Institute of Chicago.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carnivale reviews from OpenTable diners
373 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (246)good for groups (224)fit for foodies (161)hot spot (139)romantic (137)vibrant bar scene (121)neighborhood gem (68)late-night find (61)notable wine list (51)great for brunch (44)great for outdoor dining (40)great for lunch (35)scenic view (34)kid-friendly (25)Show More
- its carnivale...wizzo45Dined on 8/30/2014Maybe we ordered wrong, maybe it's not as good as it used to be. Still fun, still good service, but it is what it is for food....I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is still my favorite!Bethechange8Dined on 8/30/2014Even though I have traveled the US Mexico Puerto Rico and Hawaii this is still my favorite restaurant of all time. Love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding wait staffm943Dined on 8/29/2014I have food intolerances to dairy and egg, which often makes my dining experience difficult or embarrassing when out with friends. Our waiter was very good, checking on the menu for me to see what I could have and making very good recommendations based on that knowledge. I ended up with great food that I loved, and the whole process was seamless rather than difficult and disruptive as it often is.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Everyone in my group really enjoyed dining at Carnivale. The food was great, we couldn't decide what dishes we wanted, so we tried a little of everything and shared all of our dishes.Special Features:
- Great food excellent servicebigsantiagoDined on 8/27/2014was seated immediately. Great food.another man not my waiter gave me a taste of liquor I never had before. That was very nice. Server was knowledgeable and very kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trisha14Dined on 8/24/2014We always wanted to check this spot and we did! Our anniversary was celebrated with some friend we all were first timer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent time, would not returnjsmhDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant had a lot of potential. The food was great and so was the decor. Some of the patrons proved to be disturbing, however, and a dress code of some sort should definitely be enforced. Also, the photobooth downstairs should be replaced with one that isn't completely awful. Overall experience and value for the price made Carnivale a definite one-time experience.Special Features:
- Long wait for fooddcoopsDined on 8/21/2014We came with a larger group (7) and food was okay but nothing very special except the octopus appetizer. The main courses took almost 1 1/2 hours to come out and I'm not exactly sure why. Was a convenient meet-up spot and nice enough space, but I don't think I will go back.Special Features:
- 1st time at carnivaleFoodie4lifeDined on 8/20/2014Food and service was great, ambience was vibrant and colorful, I has seafood paella which I didn't care for, next time I'll go for chicken dish, my bf who was turning 40 had the halibut special which was excellent, highly recommend, and love that our waiter brought out cotton candy and caramel corn for birthday boy.Special Features:
- Second time as good as the first!shoechic101Dined on 8/19/2014I took a group of colleagues and clients here, as a result of my first visit about 2 years ago. The second time was just as great, and the choice was a hit with everyone. Great food, outstanding service (javier was our server), fun drink selection, energetic atmosphere. I will definitely come back when in Chicago, and most certainly recommend to friends looking for a great dining optionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time for lunchSullyLoverVIPDined on 8/19/2014Did the Tuesday B2G2 deal but even though I told waiter and put it in the res it still wasnt discounted til I brought it to his attention. Server josh not super attentive but was accommodating of our group, as we had a few latercomers join.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and scenery!!WineloverDined on 8/16/2014The menu had changed since the last time I was there. The food was still great and the decor was vibrant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodDelisiousDined on 8/16/2014Service was Outstanding. Our Waiter was Very Pleasant. I acknowleded my Girlfriend All night as the Bday Girl. The Food was Excellent as well. I would come back again. I do think the next time,as My girlfriend mentioned, We will sit on the patio overlooking the hwy or maybe the upper Level Overlooking the entire Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent food, nice selection of Latin inspired fare. Our server was Oscar, and he was very attentive to our requests. We had the skirt steak, and strip. Both were cooked to perfection, and excellent. Restaurant décor is very festive. Noise level is a bit high. Somewhat difficult to have a conversation. Overall would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Delicious Food!YumsDined on 8/15/2014The ambiance was very nice. It felt like we had been transported to carnivale in Brazil! (well not quite, but the colors and darkness definitely gave it a Latin theme). Server was very helpful in recommending dishes. We had the rojas for appetizers which were very good (little tacos with savory steak, quesso fresco cheese, and tomatoes. We also ordered the charcuterie plate. The meat was a little more on the dry side for my taste, but the cheeses, mustard, grapes, and nuts made up for this. We both ordered coconut mojitos which were very good. For entrees, we had the churasaca, which was a long skirt steak with chimichuri and asparagus and fried plantains and the short ribs which were incredibly tender. Both of the dishes were delicious.Special Features:
- DoriDined on 8/15/2014Carnivale never disappoints. The atmosphere is great, the food is delicious and artfully displayed, and the staff is warm and friendly. We've mentioned it to several friends who now want to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, inside and on the roof!KathyODined on 8/15/2014We opened the place up about 5:45 but it was rocking by the time we left about 8:30. We were intrigued by how often our server Michael mentioned veggies and herbs that came straight from their rooftop garden, so we asked if we could see it-- and got a personal tour from chef Carlos Garza! Amazing--dozens of huge tomato plants (many of them heirlooms), peppers, tomatillos, herbs; what a nice surprise. Food was great. The sampler of ceviches was a great way to start. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 8/13/2014Showed up a little early for my reservation. They had no problem seating us immediately. Food was good, came out pretty fast. Service was attentive, the server re-folded my napkin for me while I was in the bathroom. Certainly not used to that detail, but then again it's rare I go to a place this nice. Would certainly come back and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingadventurousdinerDined on 8/12/2014This was my third time dining at Carnivale & it was rather disappointing. Service was quite slow and eventually they brought me the wrong entree. Ambience is lively, hence my return, and food is good, though not great, and not good enough to outweigh the poor service and mistakes.Special Features:
- dinerDined on 8/10/2014Food was excellent and very timely. The staff was friendly, courteous, professional and didn't hover. but they were there when we needed something or had a question. Staff also had some good recommendations for each course, the waiter obviously knew the menu very well. The menu and environment was also very well connected. It was a very enjoyable meal and event. I have had a good experience every time we have been to Carnivale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Fun,energetic restaurant. Great before United center events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night goodie!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014Hubby and I were looking for a hip energetic place to have some good eats. He had the churrasco and I had the paella. I must say, the paella was great and the steak was so juicy and tender. I was very impressed with only a 15-20 minute wait on the paella. I've waited almost 45 at some other places. By the time we ate our guacamole and chips, our food was ready. The place is decorated very nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointingbibianDined on 8/3/2014The food itself was good but not as good as expected and slightly underwhelming. It was my boyfriend's birthday and I requested they do something special such as bring out cake or dessert with a candle but they did not do anything nor did they mention that they would not do anything for me. The waiter himself was pleasant and the ambience was nice although we were seated near the back and by the kitchen. Overall, I would not come back or recommend the place to a friend.
- Should be a club- with great foodAdmanDined on 8/3/2014The lead in this review needs to be that the food was fantastic. The cocktails were great and the service was good. However it was so loud in there that no one could hear themselves think, my wife got a headache and we rushed a great meal to get out of the noise.Special Features:
- Loved it!AnitaDined on 8/3/2014Fifth time that I have visited Carnivale and everything was perfect, just the way I remembered it! Our waiter was great, the food was great and the Caipiranha was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great Food. Stupid Seating RulesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014First off I would like to say how much I loved the food here. It was amazing. A little pricey, but nothing that makes you regret the price. Although 9 bucks for cotton candy is insane. My only complaint would be with the rule that your table must be there in order to be seated. Our guest was late so we had to wait a half hour to be seated. We told the hostess that we were thirsty and that we wanted to order appetizers but we still told no. People weren't flowing through the door anyways and we had reservations. It was not a good way to start off our meal. It's a horrible policy but I understand if it's extremely crowded, but they weren't. It's not wise to not seat people when you offer pricey appetizers and alcoholic drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Amazing food as per usual! Service however was not this time. Sad but will go back for the food and ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jcchi22Dined on 8/2/2014Food and service was great. Will definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, drinks and ambianceivanDined on 8/1/2014Everything was perfect , food was great, service was impeccable and the Sangria yum yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatroseDined on 8/1/2014Good food nice service sexy atmosphere needs more lightingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday FunSPlatinFoodieDined on 8/1/2014Very good service and food selection. First time here, was highly recommended. Had a yummy Mojitos and Ropa Vieja & yuca. Must go place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbfoodieintrainingDined on 7/31/2014I am not a foodie. But I have to say, Carnivale might be the best food I have ever had. I've only been there twice, but in both cases I was extremely impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiefindfoodiegonebadVIPDined on 7/31/2014Elegant but fun, this was a great place for a nice business lunch. The service and food were great and the atmosphere was open but intimate. Other than the offset that their outdoor patio overlooked the busy congested highway, this place was a real treat. I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsallenDined on 7/30/2014Mushroom and goat cheese flat bread appetizer was amazing. Chips and guac always hits the spot and everything is freshly made. Had the trout for our main meal and that was equally deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperiencescooterDined on 7/29/2014My family and I wanted to go someplace different, and came across Carnivale . Love the decor and energy ! Food was fabulous ! Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Love the atmosphere!msgjkg88VIPDined on 7/27/2014We have been here several times over the years -- unfortunately I don't think the food has the WOW factor that it once did! And they have definitely increased their prices! Still love the atmosphere and decorations in the main dining room. Not sure I will go back though -- too many other great restaurants in Chicago with the Latin theme that don't cost as much and better food -- sorry to say!
- Festive and tastyDolceDined on 7/26/2014We were visiting from out of town and Carnivale was one of the restaurants on our list of places to try. Local friends gave their thumbs up and asked to join us. The restaurant was very accomodating, combining two tables into one group. The cocktail menu had a lot of great sounding choices, but I decided to indulge in a latin standby- classic mojoito. We ordered many plates and shared them around the table. Service was great and the prices were not outrageous. No one was disappointed! The highlight was the cotton candy dessert at the end.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014At first I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised by everything. I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- not worth even close to $200+derpDined on 7/26/2014Hot date night for a couple of tourists, so we went all out with cocktails and wine with dinner. The music is nightclub volume, so everyone in the massive dining room had to shout over it, which made it even worse. The food we ordered was mediocre at best. The scenic view outdoors was of the freeway. You could find a much better way to blow $200 in a couple of hours.Special Features:
- Best Meal EverCarnivaleFanaticDined on 7/26/2014The food was to die for. Although my friends' chicken was undercooked, it wasn't mine so I don't care. I wouldn't change anything about my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.