702 West Fulton Market
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carnivalechicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 850-5005
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 5pm– 10 pm
Monday - Tuesday 11:30am – 11pm
Wednesday - Thursday 11:30am – 11pm
Friday 11:30am – 1am
Saturday 5pm – 1am
Monday-Friday 11:30am- 2:30PM
*Complimentary Valet Parking until 4:00PM
Sunday - 10:30am - 3:00pm
*Complimentary Valet Parking
Monday-Tuesday - 11:30am-11pm
*$7 Valet Parking for Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rodolfo Cuadros
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Wed + Thurs Nights: Live music in the Lounge 5PM-8PM
Carnivale University Classes available please visit Carnivalechicago.com for more details.
- Cross Street: Halsted
- Public Transit: Bus:
The #8 Halsted at Fulton Market/Lake: 2 minute walk
The # 65 Grand Avenue at Desplaines:10 minute walk
The # 56 Milwaukee stops at Fulton/Desplaines: 2 minute walk
The Blue Line at Milwaukee/Grand: 10 minute walk
The Pink Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
The Green Line at Clinton: 5 min walk
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary Lunch Valet, Mon-Fri 11:30am-4:00pm
$7 Valet Parking for Dinner
A word from Carnivale
Carnivale is a reflection of Latin culture and community, as passionate as the people themselves. The soulful cuisine allows you to explore the dishes of Cuba, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, El Salvador, and Mexico. The kaleidoscope of colors, music and playful décor ignites the sense of being in a Latin house party. Executive Chef Rodolfo Cuadros supports the Green City Market and uses as many local, sustainable ingredients as possible out of concern for the environment and community. Carnivale is the perfect location for your lunch, dinner, birthday, anniversary, wedding or corporate event. Carnivale has hosted exciting events such as Oprah’s “Color Purple” release party, the “Batman: The Dark Night Returns” wrap party and a private event with John Legend. Carnivale is located in Chicago’s West Loop, just off the expressway and close to downtown. It's also a quick CTA ride from Michigan Ave, Navy Pier or the Art Institute of Chicago.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carnivale reviews from OpenTable diners
337 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (216)special occasion (203)fit for foodies (164)hot spot (137)romantic (113)vibrant bar scene (105)neighborhood gem (59)late-night find (51)notable wine list (38)great for brunch (35)scenic view (34)great for lunch (26)great for outdoor dining (21)kid-friendly (15)Show More
- Lunch at Carnivalepmb691Dined on 11/19/2014The food was very expensive for what we received and the service was very slow and poor. I will not go back.
- Great Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Brought 2 customers to Carnivale for Lunch...they absolutely loved it. We had great service, amazing food, and comfortable arrangements. Staff was friendly and attentive! A MUST TRY is the seafood Paella...simply fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodFoodGuyDined on 11/17/2014Took a client to Carnivale on a recommendation and we were not disappointed. Superb dining experience all the way. Definitely planning a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LolaDined on 11/15/2014Very nice setting, good music and the food was delicious. Our waiter was not as attentive as I would have liked. My husband ordered Skirt Steak I had to ask the water server for the steak nives and our drinks as our waiter forgot about us. Also it was my husbands birthday. I did tell the waiter when he made his way back to our table. I was hoping for a nice desert along with the birthday sing along. We received an empty menu and a tall glass with cotton candy and some popcorn the arrangement was cute but we don't care for cotton candy. Would we go back yes but ask for another waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014We were curious after passing this place and decided to reserve a table a week later. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere was so fun. My girlfriend cannot stop talking about the experience.Special Features:
- enjoyeatingVIPDined on 11/9/2014This is a great eating place. The decor is something to see and the food is very good. We enjoyed our dinner and look forward to coming back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotdeliciousDined on 11/8/2014The food is delicious. The service is outstanding one of my favorite places to eat atSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad I came here!GoodEatsMikeDined on 11/8/2014we originally wanted to go to RPM Italian instead, but I'm so glad we didn't! We had a double date night planned for us and another couple. After not being able to get into RPM Italian, I remember a co-worker mentioning Carnivale. We decided to check it out and I'm so glad we did! The restaurant is awesome! The ambiance is unmatched & the food is AMAZING! I had the seafood paella and it blew me away! Not to mention our friends were very impressed with our restaurant choice. We will definitely come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Night!Mariposa89Dined on 11/8/2014The food was great. It's a great restaurant for large or small groups. I love the ambiance.Special Features:
- Service was horribleShamsDined on 11/8/2014It was Saturday 8pm reservation. Got in at 7:54pm. We were not greeted even with Hi by the hostess. Then we were made to sit 20 mins after being asked. No apology given for late seating. The waiter was not accommodative to our request and blamed it on sat evening rush when by the time we ordered around 9:15 the crowd had eased out. Overall service was bad. Atleast even if not accommodative they could be courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and energeticMichiganmommaDined on 11/8/2014We recently celebrated a birthday here with 6 girls visiting from out of state. At first, our table was far far far away from the main dining area, where the ambiance was lively and celebratory. When we asked to be moved, they nicely and quickly complied. Our waiter was fun and made wonderful suggestions throughout our stay. To top it off he generously took many pics of our party and with the birthday girl. We left Carnivale in laughter and high spirits. Great choice for groups and when you wish to dine in a festive surrounding.Special Features:
- Wonderful Celebration SpotAndyDined on 11/8/2014We had been meaning to try Carnivale for years after hearing rave reviews from friends and colleagues. We're so glad we finally made reservations for my birthday. The decor was stunning, the food was delicious, the service was impeccable, and our server was awesome! We will definitely be back and will definitely recommend to others!Special Features:
- CarnivaleTaxmanDined on 11/8/2014My son booked this restaurant for my wife's birthday dinner with me. The atmosphere was vibrant and we were immediately seated when we arrived (10 minutes late). The service was exceptional. We were seated in a lower section of the restaurant which was less noisy. The sever explained the menu since this was our first time. Food was great. My wife had the skirt steak and I had the scallops. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocreLezDozer88Dined on 11/8/2014The space is stunning! The decor is festive, colorful, and beautiful. This place would have rated higher if it wasn't for the lousy service. Waiter was not attentive, and we felt like we were bothering him to get our order. He got our drinks wrong, and blame us for it. Gave us the dessert menu only to take it back 3min later. We didn't even get a chance to look at it, and I really did want dessert! Somewhat rude. Food was alright. Arrachera was great, but the rice and beans that came with it were cold. Rice was a bit hard. I've tried better food at other places that weren't as expensive and food was actually hot. Okay place, but probably wouldn't come back.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, Delicious FoodRachaelDined on 11/8/2014My boyfriend and I chose to dine here for a date night and we have zero regrets! The ambiance is both fun and upscale. The drinks were great and moderately priced. For a starter we split the Ropa Vieja which was incredibly tender and flavorful however a tad on the small side, but great for sharing. Our entrees of Currasco and Arrachera were perfectly cooked and immediately devoured. I wish we'd had room for dessert as they had a number of beautiful looking options but sadly we were too full. While not necessarily on the inexpensive side, Carnivale is wonderful for an evening out!Special Features:
- AmazingNikNat66Dined on 11/8/2014Amazing, food, service & staff! While waiting for our table we were sat at the bar & had a wonderful bartender who served us great drinks. Our server was very helpful & informative. My meal was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exiled to SiberiaPhillygirlDined on 11/7/2014Arriving for a 7:00 PM reservation to a half-empty house, we were shown to a table upstairs in the back room. Although our family has always ranked Carnivale as a favorite, I will be re-thinking this for future evenings out. It was very disappointing and isolating to be relegated to a backwater of the restaurant with perfunctory service. Historically, the waiter has been been gracious, recommending specific menu items, talking about the charcuterie offerings, etc. But not this time. This fell far short of my previous experiences at this restaurant. Not only were we isolated from the vibrant "scene" on the main floor, we were isolated from a service standpoint. We might as well have been floating on an ice floe in the Artic Circle.Special Features:
- my new favorite restaurantwesttownerDined on 11/6/2014This was my fourth visit in as many months. Food is always fantastic, and the menu changes so there's always something new to try. Everything is first rate from valet to staff to food. A great experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favsBdaydinnerVIPDined on 11/5/2014Carnivale is one of my must stops whenever I am in Chicago. They have the entire package: ambiance, service, great food, music and of course the drinks. Trust the waiters to recommend the right dishes and it will become one of your must stops while in Chicago.Special Features:
- Deliciousluv2dine2Dined on 11/1/2014The ambiance is so festive with the bright colors and eclectic decor. Service was fast and attentive. Since it was my first time at Carnivale, I followed the waiter's suggestions from appetizer, to entree, to dessert and very dish was a taste explosion. We were celebrating my friend's birthday and they presented her with the cotton candy dessert, complete with a birthday candle. We were amazed at how good the cotton candy was. It tasted so much better than the best and cherished childhood memory I had of going to the annual town carnival and getting some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Great atmosphere and great food. Great for a date night or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Goodcooljazz69VIPDined on 10/30/2014Live near Carnavale and have gone there a fair number of times, often for drinks on a Thursday or Friday. This time, I went with the family pre-Halloween and dined in the restaurant. The place's already vibrant decorations now included many fun touches for Halloween which the little one enjoyed. They have been open since 2005 and it's easy for a place to slack off. But that is not the case. The service was very good as was the food. We stick mainly with the appetizers which were uniformly wonderful. The large dining room was full and fun. Overall, a very good experience. I am glad this gem in my neighborhood (Fulton River District) continues to please.Special Features:
- great nightoldsmobile350Dined on 10/30/2014Beautiful decor attentive staff the food was wonderful great mojitos definitely will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!DinnerclubgalDined on 10/30/2014The colors of the space were awesome and everything we ordered was delicious! Highly recommend the steak and of course the guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun, great food!OncDocVIPDined on 10/29/2014I really enjoyed just about everything at Carnivale: the space is beautiful and very high energy, the food was remarkable -- new tastes and delicious -- and the service was helpful and very attentive. I look forward to coming back and am thinking about hosting a reception there for a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vibrant brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014live music, delicious, flavorful food and bright and colorful space. like they take reservations, surprised it wasnt as packed for brunch because it should be!Special Features:
- Hot SpotLadyV4LifeDined on 10/24/2014The food is delicious and parking great. It's a perfect spot to be downtown but not in the heart where there's a lot of traffic to deal with.Special Features:
- Fun placeMildfireDined on 10/24/2014Very colorful atmosphere and décor. We loved the ceviche and cocoanut shrimp appetizers. Had flank steak and salmon for dinner, good variety of flavors all around. Very young scene.Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere, Okay FoodJuliDined on 10/24/2014The ambiance and service were wonderful. The decorations set a festive mood and the waitstaff/front desk were attentive and helpful. We only had appetizers - the octopus, mini tacos, and empanadas. The food was okay, nothing spectacular or terrible. Overall, the experience was not bad but not something I will seek out in the future.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014Fantastic is only word to describe our experience. Wait staff friendly and helpful. Meal was superb.Special Features:
- Fun eveningcfklobucar22VIPDined on 10/24/2014We made reservations through OpenTable and even though some members of our party were late due to traffic, it wasn't a problem getting seated when everyone arrived. The server was terrific, and the food was good. Nice, festive atmosphere. If you've never been, worth going at least once to see the decor.Special Features:
- Excellent.NA11VIPDined on 10/24/2014Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate at carnivaleElizabethDined on 10/23/2014Great food energetic fun energetic fun atmosphere friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, fun atmosphere20somethingFoodieDined on 10/23/2014I went to Carnivale for my birthday dinner, and I was very happy with my overall experience. I thoroughly enjoyed the drink (the Carnivale martini), the appetizer (guacamole), the main dish (the scallops→really tasty), and the dessert (organic cotton candy). My dessert was free, which was good because I would never pay $10 for cotton candy. The restaurant was festive and fun, but the music was way too loud. The service was only okay. I will definitely return again because the food really was good.Special Features:
- DeliciousNurse5741VIPDined on 10/21/2014Great food! Delicious drinks and super fun environment. We definitely recommend for birthdays and special occasions :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete DisappointmentFoodie2Dined on 10/18/2014Being at Carnivale before, I felt like we went into a completely different establishment (Not in a good way). We were sat at a table as soon as you enter into the dining room. (Not an area for a table) Every person that walks by (and you have to walk by this table to enter the dining room), bangs into the isle chair. After about the 25th time of both staff and guests banging into us we asked for another table. The floor manager seemed put-out by this request, he never apologized for the situation and then sat us in the exact type seating, on a busy corner where mainly staff members continued to bang into the isle chair. At that point we COULD NOT WAIT TO LEAVE, paid the check, we took one last around knowing this would be our last visit.
- ReservationfoodieloveDined on 10/18/2014They lost our reservation but didn't mention it when we checked in at hostess stand. Waited for 15+ minutes while we saw empty tables available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food priceCarnivaleDined on 10/18/2014The cost of the short rib costed too much. I had to go out for fast food right after because it didn't fill me up. A side dish with it would be nice. The good thing is that the short rib was one of the best meat I had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance!scott4foodDined on 10/17/2014Place was northing short of spectacular, as soon as you walked in you feel the energy and in a very good way. Speciality cocktails are catered to all types of drinkers and the food was absolutely delicious! Will be back many time to come!Special Features:
- awesome placefirsttimevisitDined on 10/17/2014Food was great and service was awesome. This was my first time at carnivale and I had hear many great things. The restaurant is beautiful, people are so nice, the service was great and the food was amazing. I just wish that there would have been more dessert options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.