555 California St.
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carnelianroom.com/
- Phone: 4154337500
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm LOUNGE: Daily from 3:00pm - 10:30pm; DRESS CODE: no shorts, flip-flops or tank tops after 5:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Charles Hechinger
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For parties of 100 or more.
- Private Party Facilities: The Carnelian Room has 11 private view rooms accommodating from 2 to 1000 guests. We are delighted and feel privileged to accommodate PRIVATE PARTIES - We are committed to the highest standards in both food quality and service. We have made it our goal to satisfy, even exceed you and your guests' expectations. Our professional Private Dining Sales Team is at your disposal to assist you in the organization and execution of your event even to the smallest details according to your desires and to the entire satisfaction of you and your guests. We are also available for BUSINESS MEETINGS AND EVENTS- Your corporate events are a compliment to your mission and set you apart in the eyes of the attendants, be it business partners, colleagues or staff. They do not need to be drab nor should they be in a boring place. Your event can be as elegant and sophisticated as any other at the 52nd floor of the Bank of America Building; meeting above it all.
- Private Party Contact: Phil and Angela Quan 4154337500
- Special Events: RESERVATION POLICY: Valid telephone and credit card number required (will be verified for validity). CANCELLATIONS: 48 hours before due date: no charge - less than 48 hours: $10/person - NO SHOW: full charge on special events
A word from Carnelian Room
MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR THE LAST EVENTS ABOVE IT ALL BEFORE CLOSURE. call 415 433 7500 OR visit the website for further info. ENJOY GREAT VIEWS AND THE NOSTALGIC ATMOSPHERE FOR THE LAST TIME. RESERVATIONS REQUIRED. THANKSGIVING BUFFET EXTRAVAGANZA - Price: $86 per person / children under 10: $45. Prices subject to taxes and gratuity. Seatings at noon, 2pm, 4pm and 7pm. CHRISTMAS DAY FESTIVE BUFFET - Price: $86 per person / children under 10: $45. Prices subject to taxes and gratuity. Seatings at noon, 2pm, 4pm and 7pm NEW YEAR'S EVE - EARLY 5 COURSE DINNER: Price: $175 per person, subject to taxes and gratuity. Seating at 5:30pm (last seating 6:30pm) NEW YEAR'S EVE GALA - 6 COURSE DINNER DANCE:Price: $250 per person, subject to taxes and gratuity. Seatings starts at 8:30pm to 9:30pm. LAST DANCE PARTY at Pacific/Belvedere with Award Winning DJ QUANTUM: Cover Charge: $25 per person, subject to taxes and gratuity. Lounge opens at 8:30pmContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carnelian Room reviews from OpenTable diners
- Service was terrible, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/30/2009Service was terrible, food was overpriced, and management has no clue as to what's going on. No wonder they're closing. There's better places to spend $100.00 a head in San Francisco.
- One of the last elegant placesF1fanVIPDined on 12/29/2009One of the last elegant places one can dine dressed up, pampered by the wait staff and served wonderful food, all with the most spectacular view available in San Francisco. Too bad they've closed as of 2010, hoefully someone else can come up with the 3-year/$10 million dollar lease. It's a shame to see one of the best dining places in the city go to waste, and to see one of the finest wine collections dispersed elsewhere.Special Features:
- Great Evening, Our 52nd weddingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2009Great Evening, Our 52nd wedding annavursey, so sorry it see the closingSpecial Features:
- It's too bad that this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/29/2009It's too bad that this place is now closing - the food is great, the view is breathtaking, and the ambiance is fantastic! Wish we could have visited more often.Special Features:
- 12/28/09 We regret makingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/28/200912/28/09 We regret making the reservation and taking the time to have dinner that evening. Nothing went right... from the moment we walked in and throughout our dinner. The service was poor, as was the food. Not a 5 star experience or even a 3. I suspect the restaurant was re-purchased and subsequently run into the ground. I was surprised there were so many open tables during our 2.5 hour dinner... I typically do 2-3 hour dinners enjoying the many courses paired with wines.. this night however, I was a hostage to poor service, poorly prepared food and sub-par food quality.
- the only thing nice aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2009the only thing nice about this place was the view. The food was realy bad but not as bad as the service.
- The service was interminablyOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 12/28/2009The service was interminably slow. But we haven’t even ordered our meals and the place wasn’t completely packed! Even when we finally ordered our meals, there was a very looooong wait in between courses. Somewhere during the meal, the waiter says to us in aside, “Could you do me a favor? Could you complain to the Maitre’d that there was a very long gap between your entrees? They keep packing people in here and the kitchen can’t keep up!” Wow, I’ve never had a waiter say THAT to me before. Main Course: duck breast….was really like eating Donald Duck’s grandfather. The entire dish seemed that it was waiting under the heat lamp for an interminably long time. Ugh. guess I don't have to worry about going back since its closing...
- Both the service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/26/2009Both the service and food were superb. My whole family and I highly recommend this restaurant. We are saddened by the fact that this restaurant is closing its doors.Special Features:
- The Carnelian Room was toEat4FunDined on 12/26/2009The Carnelian Room was to close by now so this review may be moot. I am saddened to see it close, but I think they were a little old-schooled. Who still requires a jacket for men to dine? You could not spend a day in SF and just stop in for a casual dinner because of the dress code. The service was good but not outstanding. Not as attentive as I would have expected. The food was slightly less tasty than it looked or sounded on the menu. Luckily we were able to get one last reservation but there were many open tables even though they said they were booked. Not good for business. Maybe they will reopen as another restaurant/format. Not too many rooftop restaurants left in the City, so their closing was regretful.Special Features:
- We had a 4:00 p.m. reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/25/2009We had a 4:00 p.m. reservation for the Christmas Day Buffet. I don't normally like to go to restaurants on holidays but this was a very good experience. We were seated promptly at a great table. The selecton of food was excellent. Everything was well seasoned nd cooked appropriately. Most memorable were the pan seared scallops, prime rib, mashed potatoes and egg nog creme brulee. We never felt pressured or rushed. The arrangement of the tables was great. I did not feel as though I was seated with another party or litening to conversation at the next table. This was our first visit to the Carnelian Room and it will be well remembered. We hope to go back for cocktails before they close.Special Features:
- with the restaurant closingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/25/2009with the restaurant closing it would seem an opinion would not matter. I dined there last year and in comparison thought it was not up to standard this year.Special Features:
- Complete faded glory - ItOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2009Complete faded glory - It was sad that the supposed service had all but stopped and the limited menu was a surprise with a selection of 1 red or 1 house white wine - not worth the money and wasted our Christmas eve!It's best they are shut if this is what they think represents $250!
- The Carnelian Room is oneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/24/2009The Carnelian Room is one of the world best dining experiences. Having eaten in a few of the highest rated restaurants in the world, it is sad to note that 2009 is the last year for the Carnelian Room. San Francisco needs more restaurants with the same elegance of ambiance, excellent service, fantastic view and, quality food as the Carnelian Room. Please join me in wishing all the best for every member of the team at the Carnelian Room that make dining there a true joy.Special Features:
- A wonderful place for SanOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2009A wonderful place for San Francisco. What a shame it will close at the end of the year and be turned into offices.
- Great restaurant if you wantJessicaBabyVIPDined on 12/24/2009Great restaurant if you want a view of San Francisco. Where else can you find another restaurant located on the 52nd floor of a downtown building? Too bad that it will be closing for good shortly! I will miss this place!Special Features:
- I loved our dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/23/2009I loved our dining experience at the Carnelian Room - the food was superb and the service was excellent! We are so sad to know that the restaurant is closing.Special Features:
- A shame that it's closing.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/22/2009A shame that it's closing. Really top notch experience, albeir a bit on the nostalgic side since B of A is just a shadow of its former self (as a vibrant core business in SF).Special Features:
- Great food, a bit pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/21/2009Great food, a bit pricey. The view is wonderful, it is a shame they are closing. We came here before my husband proposed and my parents visited before I was born. We decided we would return once more for reasons of nostalgia. However, the packaging of the food to take home with us was balled up in a mess of foil- kinda tacky. Otherwise, a gem that will truely be missed! It is a shame most of the fine dining has been hit so hard. Is there a chance for relocation?Special Features:
- It was a wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2009It was a wonderful experience as always. The sad thing is we won't be able to go again. We'll miss our favorite restaurant!!Special Features:
- We had a fabulous dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/19/2009We had a fabulous dinner, with a wonderful view. The service was perfect and the food delicious. It is so disappointing that they are closing. The Carnelian Room will be missed.Special Features:
- Due to the fact the CarnelianFXgalVIPDined on 12/19/2009Due to the fact the Carnelian Room is closing, I think the service and care has gone downhill since the last time I dined here. No longer do they create the caesar salad tableside from scratch. It's brought out and placed on your table via a cart. I had a very enjoyable meal regardless and the wine list is still top notch! We had an early reservation that was made well over a month in advance, but felt like when we got to our table that we were stuck in a corner table with only half a view. We also had tried to add another party to our reservation a week before our planned dinner, and were told the restaurant was full. By the time we left after 2.5 hours, there were still so many empty tables... what gives? Do they not care anymore?Special Features:
- Very disappointed in thisOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/19/2009Very disappointed in this special night of ours. We chose the prix fixe menu, consisting of 5 courses. We were so rushed through this meal that within 50 minutes of being seated we were completely finished and that included dessert. When one plate was removed, the waiter was standing waiting to place the next plate down. It's a good thing we chew fast. After the third course was quickly delivered, my wonderful fiancee went to speak to the maitre de about how rushed things were and he said nothing and did nothing to slow things down. We were expecting a romantic evening with plenty of time to gaze into each other's eyes and hold hands and we weren't able to put our eating utensils down long enough to do that. Good that they're closing.Special Features:
- Old school food but the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/18/2009Old school food but the view is unbeatable in the city...so sorry to see it go.
- It was a let down when we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/18/2009It was a let down when we've requested a window seating in advance, and we could of waited for one, but the matradee wasn't accommodating, he seated us at the side table. The food was good.Special Features:
- We dined at the CarnelianOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/18/2009We dined at the Carnelian Room as we always had a good time in the past for special events. It was a farewell dinner to the Carnelian Room and we were so disappointed in the food and the service. It is good that the restaurant is closing as the reputation for the view would not be enough to keep it open.Special Features:
- Very good meal in a convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/18/2009Very good meal in a convenient location, offering a fabulous view! Will be missed . . .Special Features:
- A most memorable meal on topOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/17/2009A most memorable meal on top of the City. It had been many years since my last visit and was happily surprised to enjoy again a Grand Marnier souffle after a proper caesar salad and wonderful piece of swordfish and mussels. Mo negatives except it is a shame the place closes at year's end.
- Should NOT be out of the "dailyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/16/2009Should NOT be out of the "daily special" at 6:30 PM; inconsiderate to keep patrons waiting over a half hour to receive the check following dessertSpecial Features:
- Thank you for your help inOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/15/2009Thank you for your help in coordinating a most wonderful evening for us at The Carnelian Room. The table reserved for us was perfect...we enjoyed the romantic setting while taking in the beauty and spendor of the City by The Bay at night. The food was amazing, service impeccable, and my husband enjoyed a most perfect martini (quite a compliment, considering his discerning pallet!) Overall, our experience at The Carnelian Room was first class. We shall treasure the memories of this most wonderful experience.Special Features:
- My wife's steak was excellent,DinerDined on 12/15/2009My wife's steak was excellent, my seafood and the other couple's seafood was very inferior. It was under-cooked and had NO taste!Special Features:
- The most increadable rudeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/9/2009The most increadable rude maitre d' ever encountered in San Francisco in 35 years. What a horrible rude man. He ruined our entire eve. I went to eat here before it closes for good at the end of the year. Easy to see why. Avoid at all costs.
- We went for a 'good bye' dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/8/2009We went for a 'good bye' dinner since the CR is closing after 40 years. I think we went here for the first time on our 2d wedding anniversary - and several times since. It is pricey, but the view is unbelievable. Not very crowded - and I think the average age of the patron and the servers were about equal!Special Features:
- It is a superb place and weOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/7/2009It is a superb place and we are devastated that it will close at the end of the year! We'll never find another place like that!Special Features:
- Just GREAT. Best view in SFLocal1955VIPDined on 12/5/2009Just GREAT. Best view in SF - food to die for. Will always go back if they are still open.Special Features:
- Carnelian Room was a niceBillDined on 12/3/2009Carnelian Room was a nice excperience.....as it has been for us for quite a few years of visits to San Francisco. Great views and very nice ambiance. Quality of food could be enhanced. Service could be improved.Special Features:
- The food and wine were surprisinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/1/2009The food and wine were surprisingly good (we were there mostly for the view).However, the service was extremely slow and inattentive. We had 6 PM reservations (earliest possible), hoping for a quick dinner and visit with friends, then a dart home. It took two hours for us to finally make it back to the elevators!Special Features:
- The view was spectacular.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/28/2009The view was spectacular. The meal was delicious. The service was friendly and knowledgeable of the change to the dinner menu. There was a 15-20 minute wait for our seats for a 5:30 reservation. Parking was convenient.Special Features:
- Food was just ok (nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/28/2009Food was just ok (nothing spectacular), Services was good fair to poor. Out waiter was a little bit rude when we asked him for more information on the dishes. The hostess in the lobby was WAY busy, attending guests, asking people to not go into the bar without a table, etc. She needs additional help. Despite all that, it was a special night for our out of town visitor. She loved the restaurant and the views.Special Features:
- We went there and try theirOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/27/2009We went there and try their pre fixed menu that have 5 course. The food is very good and the view is spectacular. We got the city and bridge view. I really enjoyed it and definitely will come back for more. They are closing the restaurant for good early next year. So, if you have not try it you might want to go there before the restaurant close down for good.Special Features:
- The Carnelian Room offersOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/27/2009The Carnelian Room offers the very best 360 view of San Francisco. On a clear evening, it's scenic, romantic and majestic!Special Features: