Carmine's - Washington DC
425 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesnyc.com/
- Phone: (202) 737-7770
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11:30am to 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 11:30am to 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Terry Natas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Enjoy Carmine"s classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premises catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 20 to a full scale, off-premises event for 2000. Our signature dishes, including Carmine’s famous Meatballs, Chicken Parmigiana, Veal Marsala, and Shrimp Scampi, will be delivered right to your door. Carmine's Catering offers one-stop shopping. Our full-service Catering Division offers a professional staff, complete set-up and service, rentals, linens, décor, and venue selection. Catering packages or customized menus available.
- Special Events: Parties of 15 or more will choose from abundant, specially designed four course menus created by our Executive Chef.
Come celebrate your corporate event, rehearsal dinner, bachelor or bachelorette party, wedding or a just night out with old friends with the Carmine's family. We invite you to share Carmine's style! Abbondanza!
- Cross Street: between E and D street on 7th street
- Public Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Entrance to parking garage is on E street. Address to parking garage is 616 E Street NW Washington 20004. The parking garage has an elevator entrance into Carmine's above. Valet parking is available nightly after 5pm.
A word from Carmine's - Washington DC
Carmine’s is a family style, value-driven restaurant concept with locations in NYC, NJ, Nassau Bahamas, and Washington DC. Restaurateur Artie Cutler created Carmine’s with one goal in mind: to open a restaurant that would serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast, featuring extra large portions of home-style antipasto, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on extra large platters designed for sharing. Carmine’s is the perfect place to casually enjoy friends and family over great food and wine, with excellent service, the way it used to be at grandma’s house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Carmine's - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Carmine's - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
295 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (252)special occasion (131)kid-friendly (104)fit for foodies (96)neighborhood gem (65)great for lunch (49)romantic (34)notable wine list (30)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (18)scenic view (8)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good food, helpful staff, good service.DineblogDined on 11/15/2014everything was good. Cost of all drinks alcoholic and non-alcoholic was hefty. I would only go back for special occasions with family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantkevamyDined on 11/15/2014We have been to Carmine's many times, in New York, Atlantic City and DC. I love this restaurant, the food is fantastic and the service is good. We have brought our family members here from out of town and our neighbors and friends have come here also because of our recommendations. We will be taking our two adult children here for Christmas Eve this year when they come home for the holidays. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerExcellentDined on 11/14/2014Had an excellent dinner with 2 friends on Friday night. Food and service couldn't have been better. Price was very reasonable and we left with food for the next night's dinner. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to take a group of guysvhinpghVIPDined on 11/14/2014We took our son and his college friends here -- it has large quantities of food that are relatively good. I it is not foodie food or anything I would go for without a group, but it was perfect for this purpose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York Carmine is betterJoymVIPDined on 11/14/2014Harried service and very noisy. Has to speak very loudly to be heard across the table. The food isn't as good as the New York restaurant. Not enough servers.Special Features:
- We were not impress with the food and managementNTFKDined on 11/14/2014My family and I brought my friend to Carmines for dinner for her birthday. We were not impressed with the food. We all valet and was waiting thirty minutes for one of our cars to come. We waited and waited, the valet guy finally arrived with the car. Jumped out and ran, he brought the car banged up. We had to wait another thirty minutes in the cold for the police. The restaurant manager at Carmines did not show any concerns. My friend birthday celebration was ruined.
- Always a great time...good food!FrankDined on 11/12/2014Food was great....tried special Wednesday stuffed veal chop! Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-hockey dinner at Carmine'sCapsFanVIPDined on 11/11/2014The bar makes a good martini. We were amazed by the menu choices and the portion sizes. It was our first time at a Carmine's, so we hadn't realized the family-style theme. Three of us split a Caesar salad, eggplant parmigiana and linguini with olive oil & garlic. We had lots left, so their leftovers lay-away policy is great - we came by after the game and took ours home to have for dinner soon. Our server was very good, especially as we had to wait to order until our 3rd person arrived. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Come Hungry!luvfood413Dined on 11/9/2014This was recommended by a tour guide. Was a little apprehensive after checking it out on Yelp, many people comparing it to Maggiano's, but this is a step above. Our waiter Frank was fantastic, the restaurant had a great vibe and look to it, very southern Italy. Great wine list, great menu, just be prepared as it is family style. Two entrees were enough to feed 6 of us. We had the 4 pasta special and the vegetarian lasagna was the best I have ever had. The chicken parm was good, but nothing special. We also had the side order of meatballs and stuffed mushrooms were fantastic. Get the chocolate torta! This is a great place to go with a group, not so much if you are only two people, unless you come hungry and want leftovers.Special Features:
- Carmine's for dinnerFoodieVIPDined on 11/9/2014Have been here before during the holidays with a large group. Mostly come for the experience of the family-style portions. Food is overpriced for what you get; service is somewhat slow due to large crowds. Give yourselves at least a full hour or more to eat.Special Features:
- goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Carmines is known for their huge portions, to be shared -- I must say, however, that the portion size (for the eggplant parmesean) is not what it used to be....and for the price, one can go to any number of Italian restaurants in the region and order 3 servings of eggplant parmesean for less money and more food. To be fair, the sauce is incredible and the taste is consistent. Service was not as good as expected but not horrible.Special Features:
- fun placejohnnyboyDined on 11/9/2014My sons enjoyed dinner. Great food .Carlos was great. We liked the location also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Living Social dealeaterxDined on 11/8/2014Came here with 2 other couples for the Living Social Deal. Good experience; food was fine, no complaints. Service was adequate as well.Special Features:
- Great food, price, and lots of itGB1230Dined on 11/8/2014Had a reservation for 6:45pm on a Saturday night. It was really busy, so glad I had made a reservation. Service was decent, waited for about 5 minutes before drink order. Waiter very attentive, no further delays or issues. Food was delicious, and lots of it. Not gourmet Italian, but worth the $$. Did not have desert due to the fact that we ate a ton of food. Definitely would go back, make sure you make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring the Entire FamilyTomLightVIPDined on 11/8/2014Carmine's makes you feel like you have been invited to your Italian Grandmother's house. The family style service combined with the kinetic energy of the dining room fuels the evening for a celebratory night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOM10Dined on 11/8/2014We arrived a few minutes early and we seated right away. It took a few moments for our waiter to come over to the table, but that was okay we were taking a lot in with the vibrance of the restaurant. Our waiter (Frank) was very friendly and informative as to the dishes. The food was fantastic and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt Rushedlove2dineDined on 11/8/2014Eating a family style dinner typically is a slow paced get together with friends and family evening. We felt rushed the entire evening while the support staff couldn't wait to take our plates away. While our waiter was nice.... -we had to ask for drink refills - didn't receive a bar order until we asked about the status - requested the sauce on the side of an order and it came out with the sauce on the chicken. We waited a while to get the right order back to our table... we were pretty done with the other entre by the time the chicken arrived. All in all I wouldn't likely return.Special Features:
- Large family dinnerjaredDined on 11/7/2014Portions are huge (but so are the prices) and the service was wonderful. Our waiter offered to keep the food in the fridge while we went to go see a show at the Shakespeare theatre, and we could pick it up later that evening. Highly recommended for big families or group outings. There's too much food just to go as a couple.Special Features:
- Poor serviceBADSERVICEDined on 11/6/2014We did not have a good dining experience. We had ver poor service. We had to get another service to flag-down our server for everything, including taking our order, bringing us more water, bread and coming to check how our meal was in general. I then had to go to the bar to get a cup of coffee brought to our table to have AFTER our dessert was served, even though we would have liked to have coffee with our dessert, not afterward. I will not eat there again and feel bad that I took guests from out of town there.Special Features:
- An Italian DelightSJ00884Dined on 11/4/2014Probably one of the top Italian restaurants there is. The cuisine is exceptionally authentic and delicious. The "family style" portions have to be considered lest you end up with way too much food! The staff is friendly and politeSpecial Features:
- Carmine'sTroyDined on 11/2/2014Great classic American Italian restaurant. Family style dining with huge portions (will have leftovers). Highly recommended for big groups and very kid friendly. Prices are a bit high, but you get a lot of food for the process. Each order can easily feed four adults (big eaters). Great ambience and close to theaters and Verizon center. Would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Bring a take home bagGlobalCitizenDined on 11/2/2014Most everyone knows that coming to Carmine's means going home with Carmine's. It's difficult to eat all the food they serve and it's too good not to finish. So be prepared to bring some home with you. Best for large groups. This is a great place if you're going to a game at the Verizon Center. Unless you're not going to the Cerizon Center. I come here often with large groups or out if Towners. Don't miss the Frozen Cosmo. Yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodMurfeeDined on 11/2/2014Ten of us met for lunch on a Sunday. Parking was a big problem and everyone had to use a parking garage which was close-by. The food was delicious and the service was great.Special Features:
- Gerat for familliesNoVAnotquiteafoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2014We eat at Carmine's fairly frequently and always enjoy the experience. The food is all served family style, and is good hearty Italian favorites. The place is huge though. All the times we have been and I think I've seen the same waiter twice exactly once. I don't get the impression they run through the staff, just that there a lots of them. My one knock, and this really only applies because we have been so often, is that the don't seem to pay any attention to the regular trade. Not once have I been welcomed back despite being a multiple repeat customer. I have had that happen at places I've been to once. Again, my guess is that's related to the size of the place, but I thought Open Table provided the tools to track that.Special Features:
- Great food; Service - spotty; Valet - ARGH!SAH1102Dined on 11/1/2014We arrived 15 minutes early but were not able to be seated since the driver was stuck for 25 minutes waiting for valet service. Rather than being apologetic, the host/hostess acted rather put-out that we were "late." Difficult to read menu - it's all on the wall. If you have vision problems or are at an awkward angle, you have to get up and read the menu. Food is generally very good, but not a great place to celebrate special events--we were seated at a table much too big for our party, which made it difficult to converse with anyone other than the person you were seated next to. Next time we'll take a cab or catch the metro.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014A bustling Italian restaurant with delicious food best describes Carmine's. The portions are large enough to share and our fabulous server was terrific explaining how the family style service worked. We enjoyed every morsel as we were reminded of our trip through Italy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodSusanVIPDined on 11/1/2014Carmine's is best with a group, the portions are huge. They have a great selection including nightly specials. Our favorites are the fried zuccini, lemon chicken and any pasta with the Bolognese sauce.Special Features:
- Wow!!!Like2dineDined on 11/1/2014This was a gathering of friends for an evening of good food and good company and it was exactly that! The choices are over the top and everything going passed us looked delicious! We settled on Veal Marsala, in addition to ceasar salad, pasta, mussels...and lots of red wine. The service was perfect.. attentive without hovering. We were not rushed and that allowed us all to visit ,laugh, catch up and just enjoy the evening! Dessert was the Tiramisu..OMG. A caloric splurge but worth every calorie. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food was fantastic....it was to two of us and the portions were huge...we loved it...we'll be going back again. There merlot wine was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014I had a living social deal for six people to eat for $99. It was a GREAT experience!!! They have happy hour from 3 -7PM seven days a week with great prices. The frozen margrita was to die for!!!! It is strong, like long island ice tea strong, but was VERY tasty. We were greeted right away and had great table service. This is our second time at Carmine's, the first was out in Vegas this year. We all vowed to try Carmine's back home in D.C. to make sure the experience was the same...it was. The only thing that causes conversation, the website for D.C.'S location stated there was valet partking at $11 for Carmine's, but when we got there at 2:45 PM, there was no valet.Special Features:
- LOTS of good food!`CapsFan25VIPDined on 10/31/2014Loved the family-style dinner, and for the first time anywhere, the offer to refrigerate leftovers while I attended a show at the Verizon Center. Come back after the show, pick up the leftovers - what a thoughtful service to offer! Great food, super wine list. I enjoyed it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Tasty, Service SpottyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/31/2014First time - not familiar with family-style portions, so not a great experience for only two people. Luckily was w/15 yr old son. Sat two of us at table for 6, a little awkward. Waiter was friendly and explained some dishes, unclear on portion size, but never asked for drink preferences, just put a huge pitcher of water on the table, so we stuck with that. Where I was seated I could not read the wall menu and had to wait for him to scare up a paper menu I could read. Dish was outstanding - rigatoni country style. No one returned during dinner to see how we were doing, and we skipped dessert because by the time the waiter came back we had to get to a concert. 20 minutes to get check & pay. Not sure if food worth the aggravation.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Our experience at Carmine's was very good. The food was delicious and the ambiance was very familiar. I will certainly go again and recommended to all my friends!Special Features:
- Always GREAT FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014Carmine's never disappoints. When you want the best food, Carmine's is the place. What makes it even better is that everything is served family style, which makes for a great time.Special Features:
- Food good, service spottyBWallsVIPDined on 10/26/2014I've dined at Carmine's several times and have always loved the food. I bought a Living Social deal for dinner for six (four courses and a bottle of wine) and went with my husband and two other couples. The food was good but service was a little disappointing. The server disappeared for long periods and had to be tracked down. Requests for hot bread and fresh ground pepper were denied (she said the bread couldn't be wamed and there was no fresh ground pepper available). Coffee was lukewarm. But despite all that we had a good time. Just hope we get a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Marathon RunnersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014I always come here with my daughter the night before a marathon. She gets her carbs, and I get a great meal. Tried the Spedini with Romano for the first time. I would highly recommend it. Excellent!Special Features:
- Carb LoadingMrvL05Dined on 10/25/2014I had a friend visit to run the Marine Corps Marathon and I reserved a table here for her to carb load. Little did we know that it was a restaurant that serves family portions from their menu, so it was much more than 3 of us were able to handle. they had a ton of options for pastas which was perfect for my friend to carb load. Other than the huge portions, the food was very delicious! Friendly staff to greet us and help answer questions we had about the menu. Big wine list but I didn't look into it since we didn't drink. I'd easily recommend coming here to anyone who are in a big group, or you'll have plenty of leftovers to take home with you.Special Features:
- Will give Carmine's Another TryFeastinFamilyDined on 10/25/2014Had better meal at lunch than for dinner. Wings and Carmine's sald were great as usual. However the Chicken Parm was not that great at all. We paired it with linguine and the pasta was undercooked and too little sauce which happened to be bland. I've had the chicken parm before I know that this is not the norm, that is why I will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Italian dishes need workCarminesDined on 10/25/2014great big family style portions, relaxed ambiance - but disappointing Italian dishes. All the pastas need a better saucesSpecial Features:
- Food Great! Service just ok:/pumpkin11Dined on 10/24/2014We went to celebrate birthdays it was everyone's first time at the restaurant so we ordered too much food not realizing how big the portions were. Overall we enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. The service was a bit slow our waiter was very busy. We also didn't know that some of the people who brought food out didn't really speak English so we ordered a drink and wondered why it never came. Overall it was a good experience and would definitely come back again.Special Features: