Carmine's - Washington DC
425 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2027377770
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11:30am to 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 11:30am to 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Terry Natas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Enjoy Carmine"s classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premises catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 20 to a full scale, off-premises event for 2000. Our signature dishes, including Carmine’s famous Meatballs, Chicken Parmigiana, Veal Marsala, and Shrimp Scampi, will be delivered right to your door. Carmine's Catering offers one-stop shopping. Our full-service Catering Division offers a professional staff, complete set-up and service, rentals, linens, décor, and venue selection. Catering packages or customized menus available.
- Special Events: Parties of 15 or more will choose from abundant, specially designed four course menus created by our Executive Chef.
Come celebrate your corporate event, rehearsal dinner, bachelor or bachelorette party, wedding or a just night out with old friends with the Carmine's family. We invite you to share Carmine's style! Abbondanza!
- Cross Street: between E and D street on 7th street
- Public Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Entrance to parking garage is on E street. Address to parking garage is 616 E Street NW Washington 20004. The parking garage has an elevator entrance into Carmine's above. Valet parking is available nightly after 5pm.
A word from Carmine's - Washington DC
Carmine’s is a family style, value-driven restaurant concept with locations in NYC, NJ, Nassau Bahamas, and Washington DC. Restaurateur Artie Cutler created Carmine’s with one goal in mind: to open a restaurant that would serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast, featuring extra large portions of home-style antipasto, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on extra large platters designed for sharing. Carmine’s is the perfect place to casually enjoy friends and family over great food and wine, with excellent service, the way it used to be at grandma’s house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Carmine's - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Carmine's - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (210)special occasion (104)kid-friendly (100)fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (56)great for lunch (46)hot spot (22)romantic (22)notable wine list (19)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (14)great for brunch (10)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Not good. Not like carmine Nyc.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014The food was not good and the service was worse. The waiters handling too many tables not well staffed. The food was not like other Carmine's and was a big disappointment.
- Brittney Was FABULOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Although our bill was overcharged, BRITTNEY was the greatest server EVER! She had an entire section by herself, and our party of 10! The young lady didn't miss a beat!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Although a reservation was not needed for the time we arrived, the staff were polite and friendly, and seated us quickly. Picky eaters in large groups are a challenge to please since the entrees are family-style, but the rest of our group was very pleased with the food. Portion descriptions are a little misleading...sounded like we ordered to little, but we all left STUFFED!!! (Serves 4 really served 6)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service wasn't greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Had to ask repeatedly to get cheese, olive oil, etc. the people who cleaned the tables seemed to respond more than the waitressSpecial Features:
- Good food, good for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I was hesitating to go after reading some reviews. .. it was good. Staff was nice. Food was good. 8 of us in our party. No problems at all. So go and enjoy .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of foodTerryDined on 8/29/2014Good food and attentive servers. Great for our group of 6. We got three entrees and had just a little left over. Meatballs are delicious!Special Features:
- Always expect the bestSmlambertDined on 8/25/2014We have visited the New York Carmine's and made reservations in DC because of our pas t experiences. This location was as wonderful as all our past visits. Service and food were impeccable. Wonderful flavors and top quality foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Choice for Birthday DinnerNandTinDCDined on 8/22/2014I took my husband to Carmine's to celebrate his 29th birthday. We were both extremely disappointed by the less-than-stellar service here. We were seated at a 2-top table next to the very loud bar and a table with 2 children who kept running into my chair and kicking my purse. We then sat idly for about 10 minutes until someone dropped off a basket of cold bread without ever acknowledging us. We waited a few more minutes until our server came by (she was engaged in a lively conversation with the table next to us for much of that time). When we let her know we were there to celebrate a birthday, she said "ok." Had this been a Tuesday night, it may have been fine, but I do not recommend Carmine's for any kind of special occasion.Special Features:
- Yum!DCEatsDined on 8/22/2014Took a group of 10 teens for a birthday dinner and it could not have gone better. We were seated immediately(we did have a reservation), and had previewed the family-style menu ahead of time, so already knew our order. Our waiter was very friendly(his first baby had just been born days ago and he had adorable pictures to show us!). Order started coming out within MINUTES. We got the caesar and garden salads (delicious for both--love the dressings) and garlic bread (best garlic bread I've ever had and I DON'T EVEN LIKE GARLIC BREAD!). Then we dined on the penne and meatballs (with extra meatballs - - also delish) and penne alla vodka. Was not a big fan of the penne alla vodka - too garlicky/overcooked, IMO. All in all, definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Consistently reliableSMLDDined on 8/19/2014I am a big fan of the linguine or angel hair pasta with the white clam sauce. Also worthy are two consistently good appetizers: Calamari, Spicy Scarpariello Wings, and the Carmines chopped salad!Special Features:
- Great food, terrible dessert.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014The plates are huge! So you only need 1 for 3 or 4 people. I can't remember the name of my dish, but it was chicken spinach and potatoes. It was delicious! Very impressed. However, I'm disappointed in dessert. I got the cheesecake and the waiter made it sound good, and asked if I wanted a half or whole. Thinking he was talking slices, I ordered the whole. To my surprise I received an entire cheesecake that cost $23! And to make it worse, the cheesecake was nasty. If you go, I suggest to sticking to the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food poor serviceDcdiner2Dined on 8/17/2014The food was very delectable however the service by our waiter Patrick was poor. I expected the service to be exceptional like my previous visits. I brought my parents and had been raving on the food & service but we did get the service I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmine'sMimiDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service Large portions so worth the price Just a nice place to go toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its our Special Occasion go toAfanDined on 8/15/2014This is the third time this year that we have visited Carmine's. My family went for my birthday, Mother's Day and an evening out with friends. We went last year for a celebration for my husband. This is our family "go to" spot. It is kid friendly. The servers are too nice for words and the ambiance is fantastic. The most outstanding part of the experience is the food! It is seasoned to perfection. Although great quantities of food are provided; it is always well seasoned with herbs and spices and tastes like it was prepared just for the individual with care and attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & Huge PortionsPepperfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Family style restaurant with excellent service. Vibrant ambience with a unnoticeable noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGlutenFreeDined on 8/14/2014This restaurant does not handle gluten free dining well. Although they have a gluten sensitive menu, the waiter put the wrong order in for our appetizer. When I asked the server (different from the waiter) if these were the gluten free appetizer that I ordered, he replied yes and left. I didn't think it was right, so I had to track down the waiter to ask if this was indeed what I ordered. It was not. He apologized, but it seemed quite insincere. Otherwise the service is poor; we had to track down the waiter several times. The food was okay at best. Bucca de Beppa does this same type of food much better. I would not recommend Carmine's.
- Quantity yes, quality noJujayDined on 8/13/2014I was disappointed with the restaurant when I went there for restaurant week. There were 3 of us for lunch & the place was quite empty. One would think you would get better service as there was no rush- but that was not so. The server took her time & the waiters seemed to be on break as there was a very lax atmosphere- no one coming to check on us. As for the food-- yes quantity for sure. Salads- too generic, main dishes- only the vodka sauce dish was good, dessert- tiramisu had the worst cream topping- didn't seem like fresh cream-- more like Cool Whip. I will not go back.Special Features:
- DeliciousFoodieTDined on 8/12/2014Exceptional service by the wait staff, be prepared to take the leftovers home because the portions are huge, the ambiance is very nice and the Tiramusu cake is wonderful...Bon A petite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trusted place to eat and rest.shipbottom109Dined on 8/12/2014I eat at Carmine's with my girls as I can always trust that the food will be good and the restaurant will be clean and safe. We are regulars at the NY 42nd. St. and DC locations. My girls now ask will we be eating at Carmine's? I feel so good about your restaurant that I have now told my 12 year old to go to Carmine's( if we are in the 7th. St. area) if she gets lost and I will find her. I ALWAYS SUGGEST CARMINE'S FOR FAMILY/FRIEND DINNERS when traveling, because of your warm atmosphere,good food and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Carmine's is the perfect place for a family or friends night out. Family style food with that amazing homecooked Italian flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerFoodieDined on 8/11/2014This was not my first time at Carmine's, I choose to go to this restaurant because I knew the good and service potential was GREAT! I was super disappointed in my experience this time. For many members of my party of 10 it was their first time, we were not greatest or even explained what the process was for ordering at the restaurant is. The waiter did not introduce hisself not did he even mention he had a trainee for the evening. Every time we had a order or something that needed to be refilled I was running around the restaurant searching for him. The food was good but with the service level being so poor on my friends special birthday event I will never be goin back. I am super disappointed one of my main places to go with group events.
- Great food and serviceHouseDined on 8/10/2014My girlfriend was excited to come across Carmine's, as we are from the NYC area. Just like NYC, the food was great. We felt like we were back home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatFoodFanVIPDined on 8/9/2014Carmine's is a dining experience not to be taken lightly! The food is great and plentiful. Everything is served family style; huge platters! Your objective is to bring a group that can all agree on the same item(s). The bread basket is some of the best bread I have ever had; soft, fresh, and very tasty! Great for oil dipping too! If dessert is you desire, the titanic looks incredible; a meal unto itself! Of course I have not taken on that challenge yet...someday! The service is always great too; very accommodating. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceMardyDined on 8/8/2014We had a good time at Carmine's, we were looking for a family style restaurant for a birthday party. The waiter was very friendly and had an answer for all of our questions. The food came out in a timely manor and it was very tasteful. It was an over all good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointingHonestlyDined on 8/8/2014I have been going to Carmines in the theater district in New York for 15 years and recommending it to anyone going. I was excited to see that there was a location in DC. I should have known when we entered and didn't even need a reservation that this was not going to be the same experience. We ordered the mixed green salad, the artichoke appetizer, lasagne and chicken marsala. Our server was kind but inattentive. The salad had about two olives and too little dressing. The chicken was not hot. The artichoke appetizer for good as was the lasagne. Maybe my expectations were too high because of my repeated excellent experiences in NYC. The atmosphere was fun but the food simply did not match my previous experience.
- Supper on SeventhGratefulDined on 8/6/2014Portions fit to share family-style and great server!Special Features:
- HCMCDined on 8/5/2014We had a family celebration with families from out of town - and our waiter was so nice and helpful with us. We've been there before and will go again.Special Features:
- Not impressedluvgr8foodDined on 8/5/2014Went to lunch with a large group as we have done previously. We like Carmine's because they are not busy at lunch, they can accommodate a large group, and the family style dining is a plus. However, our most recent visit will probably be the last. When I told our waiter (Doc) that one of the orders was wrong, he apologized but didn't do anything to fix it. We were not offered a discount nor did he offer to bring the correct dish. Additionally, the red sauce that was on the dish was not good (others at the table felt the same way). Others in the party were not thrilled with their items either. I think someone said the sandwich was ok. The stuffed mushrooms were good. Too many restaurants in DC to deal with subpar service or food.Special Features:
- Noisyluv2dineDined on 8/2/2014The people across from us were very loud and the young lady had a disturbing laugh that disrupted the whole restaurant from enjoying their food. The table was a little rocky especially for the portions of food that is being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Huge Portions,sj100Dined on 8/2/2014Family style Italian-American that actually produces really good food. Seafood assortment was done perfectly and good quality fresh seafood. Only poor dish was the escarole which was tough. Be aware that when they say the plates are meant for sharing, they really are. With an assortment, they can serve 6 people. Order carefully or the check will mount quickly and you'll go home with bags of food. Perhaps, that's a plus.Special Features:
- Surprisingly disappointedLisaDined on 8/2/2014Waaaaay too loud, waiter Waaaaay too new to have been given so many tables dispite supervision. A glass of wine I ordered took a half hour to arrive, empty plates remained on the table until we left and I suppose, since our waiter was so new and under supervision, it was OK to run over and shout "how is everything going?" every 10 minutes was their way of taking care of us to the point where I was jumping out of my skin.
- Mixed feelingsloves2dineoutDined on 8/1/2014Our daughter chose Carmine's for her birthday dinner. We should have chosen a restaurant that was more geared to just a few dining together. The portions were overwhelming. We did bring home leftovers, though. Our appetizer (mussels) were a disappointment. The broth was too watery and many of the mussels did not open during cooking. It was poor service to serve such a dish. There should also be more pasta free dishes to chose from as many of us are watching our carb and sugar intake. For our daughter, the highlight was the strawberry shortcake.Special Features:
- Fantastic as Always!sjb1Dined on 7/29/2014Fantastic food and great service, Carmine's never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off day?SurferVIPDined on 7/28/2014Generally, Carmine's is spot on. Not today. The clam sauce was runny and gritty. The waiter took our order and then we never saw him again until he brought the check. We had to ask other people for more bread and tea. For the money, I was very disappointed. It will be awhile before I return.Special Features:
- Food was fair but okay for a groupFrenchConnectionDined on 7/27/2014Went there with a group of 16 for a birthday anniversary dinner while visiting Washington from out of the country. The set-up, with the large shared plates, was perfect for us since we were a large group. However, do not expect that to generate savings on the check in any way. This is expensive for the quality of the food, which is fair. We had a trainee as a server, which happen to be a lot better than the experienced server which was with him. Overall, the level of service was fair and accommodating. Had difficulty receiving the wine that I ordered. Would recommend only for large groups.Special Features:
- Very tasty, very fillingFormerFedVIPDined on 7/26/2014Dropped in after a Smithsonian jazz & science show at the Navy Memorial. My girlfriend started with stuffed artichokes and got chiicken wings for her entree. I got the angel hair pasta with sausage and meat sauce. She took home half of the appetizer and most of both entrees and reports they were almost as tasty the next day as they were at the restaurant. Service was attentive, although the busboys delivering the food had a tendency to try to give dishes to wrong tables. We've ruled out Carmine's for pre-theater dining because of its huge portions, but love it for after-event dinners -- particularly when we've nothing planned for a couple days so she can finish what she takes home.I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014It was our 2 year annivesary. I wanted to pick out a nice romantic place. It very nice . A little loud but the food portions were really big whichwas a plus and taste great. The price is fair with the amount they give you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Before A Night Out!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We went to Carmine's to celebrate a friend's upcoming nuptials. We had dinner at the restaurant before going out for drinks and dancing. The food was excellent! All of the employees were friendly, professional, and could answer questions about items on the menu. A great place for groups! We are already planning our next group dinner ... this time with our husbands (and maybe the kids).Special Features:
- Vamplires BewareKnowsGoodFromBadDined on 7/26/2014I liked the food and the service was very good, but there was way too much garlic. I'm of Italian decent and have grown up around Italian food my whole life and I've never tasted so much garlic in one meal. I think the stuffed artichoke was the main culprit, but there were likely others. It was so bad that my bedroom smelled like garlic the next morning.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014Everything we ordered was very good. We had 9 people and each order had plenty of food for all. It can get expensive if you're not careful, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.