Carmine's - Washington DC
425 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2027377770
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11:30am to 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 11:30am to 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Terry Natas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Enjoy Carmine"s classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premises catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 20 to a full scale, off-premises event for 2000. Our signature dishes, including Carmine’s famous Meatballs, Chicken Parmigiana, Veal Marsala, and Shrimp Scampi, will be delivered right to your door. Carmine's Catering offers one-stop shopping. Our full-service Catering Division offers a professional staff, complete set-up and service, rentals, linens, décor, and venue selection. Catering packages or customized menus available.
- Special Events: Parties of 15 or more will choose from abundant, specially designed four course menus created by our Executive Chef.
Come celebrate your corporate event, rehearsal dinner, bachelor or bachelorette party, wedding or a just night out with old friends with the Carmine's family. We invite you to share Carmine's style! Abbondanza!
- Cross Street: between E and D street on 7th street
- Public Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Entrance to parking garage is on E street. Address to parking garage is 616 E Street NW Washington 20004. The parking garage has an elevator entrance into Carmine's above. Valet parking is available nightly after 5pm.
A word from Carmine's - Washington DC
Carmine’s is a family style, value-driven restaurant concept with locations in NYC, NJ, Nassau Bahamas, and Washington DC. Restaurateur Artie Cutler created Carmine’s with one goal in mind: to open a restaurant that would serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast, featuring extra large portions of home-style antipasto, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on extra large platters designed for sharing. Carmine’s is the perfect place to casually enjoy friends and family over great food and wine, with excellent service, the way it used to be at grandma’s house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Carmine's - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Carmine's - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (225)special occasion (112)kid-friendly (99)fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (56)great for lunch (42)romantic (29)hot spot (27)notable wine list (24)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (15)great for brunch (8)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always GREAT FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014Carmine's never disappoints. When you want the best food, Carmine's is the place. What makes it even better is that everything is served family style, which makes for a great time.Special Features:
- Food good, service spottyBWallsVIPDined on 10/26/2014I've dined at Carmine's several times and have always loved the food. I bought a Living Social deal for dinner for six (four courses and a bottle of wine) and went with my husband and two other couples. The food was good but service was a little disappointing. The server disappeared for long periods and had to be tracked down. Requests for hot bread and fresh ground pepper were denied (she said the bread couldn't be wamed and there was no fresh ground pepper available). Coffee was lukewarm. But despite all that we had a good time. Just hope we get a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Marathon RunnersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014I always come here with my daughter the night before a marathon. She gets her carbs, and I get a great meal. Tried the Spedini with Romano for the first time. I would highly recommend it. Excellent!Special Features:
- Carb LoadingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I had a friend visit to run the Marine Corps Marathon and I reserved a table here for her to carb load. Little did we know that it was a restaurant that serves family portions from their menu, so it was much more than 3 of us were able to handle. they had a ton of options for pastas which was perfect for my friend to carb load. Other than the huge portions, the food was very delicious! Friendly staff to greet us and help answer questions we had about the menu. Big wine list but I didn't look into it since we didn't drink. I'd easily recommend coming here to anyone who are in a big group, or you'll have plenty of leftovers to take home with you.Special Features:
- Will give Carmine's Another TryFeastinFamilyDined on 10/25/2014Had better meal at lunch than for dinner. Wings and Carmine's sald were great as usual. However the Chicken Parm was not that great at all. We paired it with linguine and the pasta was undercooked and too little sauce which happened to be bland. I've had the chicken parm before I know that this is not the norm, that is why I will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Italian dishes need workCarminesDined on 10/25/2014great big family style portions, relaxed ambiance - but disappointing Italian dishes. All the pastas need a better saucesSpecial Features:
- Food Great! Service just ok:/OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014We went to celebrate birthdays it was everyone's first time at the restaurant so we ordered too much food not realizing how big the portions were. Overall we enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. The service was a bit slow our waiter was very busy. We also didn't know that some of the people who brought food out didn't really speak English so we ordered a drink and wondered why it never came. Overall it was a good experience and would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The food was good. But the waiter was horrible. He was very forgetful. Could have been better.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT BOUNTIFUL FOOD!LaxMom23Dined on 10/24/2014Food here was OUTSTANDING!.& I am Italian from NY!..The Veal Parm and Shrimp FraDiavolo was plentiful & delicious! 3 of us & we ordered 2 meals & we finished all & sadly were too stuffed for dessert! We plan to return! (This was our first visit) OBVIOUSLY, the Food is EXCELLENT, but the staff needs to work on their cust serv, greeters are rude and disorganized, not willing to accommodate the customer. We ended up sitting by the bar area, it took 20 mins to get menu's, and the waiter was OVERLY worked and busy,but NOT HIS fault, they need more staff here since the place seems to always be packed! (even though MANY tables were empty, assuming for reservations) but NONE filled while we were there for OVER 1 hr! (we could have sat there!).Special Features:
- Great food, good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014Had a great time hanging out with my girlfriends on a Friday night. The service was good but could have been a little bit more attentive. The food was delicious!!! Also, I had never tried chianti before...yummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of good food...SmithsonDined on 10/24/2014For three of our foursome, this was a totally new experience in dining. We ordered one salad and one entree, and it was enough food for all four of us. The food was delicious, and the service was very prompt and thoughtful. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Great food that can feed you for a week! It's easy to share entrees at the bar. Even the "smaller" portions are more than enough food. Only problem is that it is so tasty that its easy to eat too much. (not really a complaint in my opinion)Special Features:
- Great FoodVegaDined on 10/22/2014Being Italian it's very hard to please me at Italian restaurants especially those with more than one location. I'm from NYC so it's even harder to please away from home, but this is the 2nd time I've been to Carmine's in DC and the food is outstanding. Really great, and that should be the only reason needed to go here. I had a reservation this time which I highly suggest, but it is always crowded and rather noisey but doesn't take away from a great meal. Just bring your appetite. I actually haven't been to there locations here in NY but I will soon. Thanks!Special Features:
- Delicious!BuffalochickensandwichfanVIPDined on 10/22/2014Went to Carmine's on a LivingSocial deal this time. Been coming there for years and love it!Special Features:
- As a tourist...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We found this place by accident, Open Table had good reviews so we tried it. Food was very good and plentiful.Special Features:
- expected better serviceBrooklynguateDined on 10/19/2014I love Carmines NY, and was looking for the same experince. However, things began to get weird when the restaurant called me to ask if I could come early because they were closing early. It took the waiter half an hour to take our order and the food did not arrive for another 45 minutes. The chicken parmesan was burnt. Finally, the cleaning crew was so loud that it felt like I was sitting in a street market more than in an Italian restaurant. The feeling we got was that we were not welcomed because it was late. The service was terrible but most of the food was great.Special Features:
- OutstandingJohnnyODined on 10/19/2014Outstanding dinner event. Food was the best... Very large meals, family style dinning. Good service. Great food, and atmosphere. Highly Recommand it.Special Features:
- We expected betterDisappointedDined on 10/19/2014I was hoping this was a fluke but from speaking with others in our party this isnt the first time they'd experienced problems at this location. Everything started off well and our server was great. But the food was just ok, it arrived at the table just barely warm and one of the main dishes we came for (fried calamari) they were out of. We'll be rethinking another visit.
- Excellent family style ItalianJordanVIPDined on 10/18/2014Carmine's is what Maggiano's wishes it was. I grew up going to the NYC branch in the theatre district, and I was skeptical when I heard a branch was opened in DC. I wasn't sure if they could live up to the original. They most certainly do. My number one tip for going to Carmine's is bring a big group, the bigger the better. It is family style, and the portions are enormous. You'll want to order a lot. They are super accommodating; many dishes that are not vegetarian traditionally can be made vegetarian if you just ask. My recommendations include the stuffed artichoke, eggplant parmesan, fried zucchini, and penne vodka. If you're there on a Sunday the four pasta special is fantastic. I have never had a bad meal at Carmine's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food (As Usual)- Poor ServiceaprilscookinDined on 10/18/2014I am a huge fan of Carmine's. I love the food and because it is great for groups, I decided this would be the place I would celebrate my 31st birthday. I have to say, however, that though the food was excellent, we received awful service. After being seated, our waiter NEVER came over and though a few other waiters did help us out with drinks and taking our order, we didn't see our waiter until we were eating appetizers and he wasn't apologetic at all. I also was disappointed when our food was just plopped on the table and we weren't served individually as I've been used to. Overall, I will always recommend Carmines (for the frozen cosmos and shrimp scampi alone) but they definitely need to train or retrain their staff here in DC.Special Features:
- Wonderful atmosphere!HappynottocookDined on 10/18/2014This was a delicious family friendly restaurant with great food, great prices, and great service! First time at a Carmine's and I hope to go back soon!Special Features:
- awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014the food, as always was excellent. Hostess wasn't very nice but we ended up not letting that affect our experience.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was very good and the service was better. Our waitress took her time to explain the dishes. She was friendly and very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come hungry with consensusOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014Food was very good The way food is served is far too large a portion excepting for the. Largest of parties and even then only if they have consensus on what to eat. Main courses are about $30 each and are enormous. A good value for quantity but only if all in your party will eat it I would suggest they offer a normal single size and a family platter option. Without this change I know we won't be returning anytime soonSpecial Features:
- Great fun dining experienceFallsChurch53yrlocalDined on 10/13/2014Excellent service and an all around great experience. The dishes are family size, so one dish can feed 4 average diners. We were a party of 6 and ordered an appetizer and a salad to share with 2 main dishes and there was plenty for all. So though the dishes appear expensive, they really are not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ExperiencetrynewplacesDined on 10/12/2014The food was very good. I recommend the chicken marsala. The location (a block away from the Verizon Center) was a bit busy, but the valet parking made it easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group hugSuzyQDined on 10/11/2014A lot of good food. Very very noisy. Hard to hear companions or waitress. Go with a group. Portions largeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all-aroundCw4rpdunnDined on 10/11/2014Carmine's restaurant is amazing. The food are great, especially the desserts. Despite a number of large groups the noise level was low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Keeps Me Coming Back For MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Overall, I wish I could've given this place a perfect 5 stars if it wasn't for the hostess. Her greeting and attitude was very coarse when she thought we were an hour late for our reservation. I called and spoke with a woman (not sure if it was the hostess) 3 hours prior to our reservation at 3:00 PM to change it to 4:00 PM. We arrive a few minutes before 4:00 PM. I greet her with my name and say we have a reservation for 4:00 PM. She snarks back "Do you know reservation was for 3:00 PM?!" I replied "Yes, it was, but I called ahead and changed it for an hour later." She barely let me get my sentence out before she waves us off with "Nevermind! You can seat them over there."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for groups, but space is tightlove2usdayVIPDined on 10/10/2014FAIR/2-star rating is only because the food was good, otherwise this would have been Poor/1star. The host/hostess service was horrible - 1 person trying to take care of all incoming diners? Meanwhile 2 women just stood around and chatted? You don't need people to ONLY escort, they can greet and check-in people too. Our server was slow at getting to us, both for drink orders and food orders. We all (party of 13) also didn't appreciate the attitude and ignorance of the server when one of our party indicated a certain food allergy. I think managers here need to provide better guidance and actually be on-hand to see 1st hand what is going on at the host stand.Special Features:
- Happy 34th Birthday!ExcitedDined on 10/9/2014I brought my lover here for his birthday and he had an amazing time!!! Ideal seating near the bar, stellar food and what puts this venue over the top is that the place was packed!!! Kudos to the staff and operations for making this occasion Excellent:) with such a full house. I'm excited, we are very happy:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come hungryDespotDined on 10/9/2014This is a spot that is perfect for large groups, because of the size of the menu items. If only two people, order either a salad, to split or an entree which is on the smaller size. Also to split. Both ravioli, and lasagna fit the bill. If after the entree, you are still hungry, try the Tugboat. You won't finish it, but you will have fun trying.Special Features:
- BobJDined on 10/8/2014As always, the food is great. My first choice when guests are in town. This time however was the first time I ever experience poor service from a waiter/waitress which was embarrassing when I was entertaining 3 colleagues from out of town. On a positive note, the one gentleman who served the food was on top of his game and provided what the waiter did not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My First Time HereMM5250Dined on 10/7/2014I have been told by coworkers to go to Carmies and i see what they mean the food is great it's too much for 2 people you need a definatly need a group of people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeMsw1218Dined on 10/5/2014I have been to the Carmine's in NYC and the dc one did not disappoint. Great food, very nice wait staff and very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great place to dineSMLDDined on 10/5/2014Carmines is typically a consistent good place to dine. This is a great place for families and groups to dine.Special Features:
- Carmines - a dissapointmentKarenDined on 10/4/2014This was our second time at Carmines in Washington DC. We also have been to others in Atltantic City and NYC. We had a nice table by the window. Our server tried and was attentive. However, our food came out barely warm. We sent both back. Husband, daughter & I wanted our chicken parm and ravioli hot. Unfortunately - it came out lukewarm the second time around. We were dissapointed and probably would not go back. The chocolate bread pudding wasn't great either. Will be checking other italian restaurants the next time.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Service was great. If plan on going make sure you go on an empty stomachSpecial Features:
- Dinner Review for 10/4/14lovetoeatDined on 10/4/2014Food was great! It was a relaxed atmosphere. It was a good family atmosphere. Service was very good. The waiter was very helpful with assisting with the menu selections. He was very nice. My family and I enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceOdesseVIPDined on 10/4/2014Usually great experience and awesome food. I think I came at a bad time. Never go around 3pm on Sunday. They start turn-over for dinner at 4pm.