Carmine's On Penn
92 S. Pennsylvania Street
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's On Penn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesonpenn.net/
- Phone: 3037776443x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Tuesday - Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:0pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Dan Grunewald
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is an added feature of the restaurant with the goal of bringing our respected, and consistently delicious food to you. By providing off-site service for corporate, business and private events, Carmine's offers a personal approach for clients and customers to enjoy and appreciate simple, yet satisfying, menu options at their place of work or in the privacy of their own backyard.
- Entertainment: None
A word from Carmine's On Penn
Carmine's on Penn was established in 1994 as a neighborhood, family-style Italian restaurant. Our atmosphere is casual, festive, and friendly. Our servers bring the chalkboard menu to life, describing dishes and offering advice on selecting just the right combination of food and beverage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Carmine's On Penn - Best Restaurants in Wash Park ›
Carmine's On Penn reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (98)good for groups (84)special occasion (56)great for outdoor dining (53)fit for foodies (42)romantic (30)notable wine list (29)kid-friendly (16)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Place for Large GroupsMeowsaDined on 9/13/2014The food is served family style, which means each dish brings a ton of food! Everything was delicious from the salad to the pasta! I highly recommend it for large groups or celebrationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The pear salad was all but. The server was curt and made it intimidating ask questions. The bolognese sauce was the worst in remembrance. It was meat with red water. The guy who delivered it with the server was saying so, but the server quieted him down right away.
- So generous!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014Carmine's has earned a special place in heaven for a restaurant who truly gives to the homeless. I attended a benefit for the Delores Project - a shelter for women experiencing homelessness. The staff was very knowledgeable and the delicious food was served family style. Expect large tasty portions! Thank you to Carmine's for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benefit for The Delores ProjectKatoDined on 9/2/2014A group of friends had dinner at Carmine's to benefit The Delores Project. Thank you, Carmine's, for supporting this organization that does wonderful things for women in need. Good Italian food served family style--much too much to finish but we enjoyed it again the next day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmine's on Penn.EnajDined on 9/2/2014We live in Sacramento, but when we are in Denver Carmine's on Penn is a must visit place to eat. Everyone is friendly and helpful. The garlic rolls are to die for! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BerrtcoMarcbertDined on 8/30/2014Again the food comepletly impressed our family ..can't wait to go back !Special Features:
- Hasit19Dined on 8/29/2014Went for restaurant week, trying out a new place. Was very good!!! Served family style. I wanted to try a couple of things, but with 2 people that would have been way to much food. So go with a group if it's your first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food and Good ServiceGigerDined on 8/29/2014We decided to try out Carmine's on Penn during Denver Restaurant Week and we are happy we did! We had a small group and it was perfect for our group. Lots of food! Very delicious food!! The only thing that we didn't care too much for was their chocolate cake, it was very dry, so we barely touched it. So, go there for their food, not desserts! You won't be disappointed with your meal.Special Features:
- MichiganDined on 8/28/2014Always have lots of leftovers to enjoy during the week.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemTripValueVIPDined on 8/28/2014If you're looking for a good family style Italian restaurant, it's the best in the Denver. I highly recommend giving it a try...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get ready for leftoversMollyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Went during restaurant week and didn't realize my my friend and I had to share 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert. Luckily we both liked mussels, which had prosciutto pieces in it- yum! Garlic bread knots were free and good to dip into the mussels. We shared the shrimp parmesan which was very rich and delicious. However, I wanted to order the Shrimp Diavlo, but my friend didn't want anything spicy. I'll have to go back and try it. The triple layer chocolate cake wasn't very special; it tasted the same as a cake from grocery store chain like Safeway or King Soopers. I wish we would have tried something else for dessert. Service was so-so....the server kept taking my vodka drink away before I was finished with it and same with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the costvisitorsVIPDined on 8/27/2014This restaurant should advertise that it's for groups of four or more only - otherwise a lot of take home food or waste. The quality of the food was only fair, except that the pasta itself was quite good. The sauce, vegetables, etc. only fair. Caesar salad was bland. Worst were the dessert cannoli's, which were tasteless, without any hint of sweetness or the wonderful cheese flavor. The only thing to taste were the chocolate chips. What a disappointing dinner, one of the worst we've had in a long time. Thank you for Restaurant Week that we didn't waste more money on a meal there.
- Solid food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed our meal at Carmine's on Penn. It was good Northern Italian cuisine. We only felt it was a little too loud and the food was better than most.Special Features:
- SarahVIPDined on 8/24/2014There were three of us for dinner. The food was good. But, I would only return to this place if there were 4 or more in my party. The dishes are family style and serve approximately 4 people. Because of this, we only had one appetizer and one entree. So, with more people, we could have ordered more and been able to experience more. The service was a little inattentive. Again, I would go back, but only with a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Very great dinning experience! Definitely go with a couple of people because their food comes in big portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful neighborhood eateryFoodie59Dined on 8/23/2014Great food. GENEROUS portions. Wonderful covered patio. Valet service so you don't have to find a place to park. We had a wonderful time with friends. Service was excellent as well. Attentive without being annoyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanRDined on 8/23/2014The food was good as was the service, but we felt rushed, in and out in an hour. Yes, it was restaurant week, but we speant over $100 and it seemed like we were on an assembly line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come Hungry!!DaveDined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent and in great quantity! I would highly recommend Carmine's. Come with friends and share the family style dining, you'll still go home with a "to-go" box!Special Features:
- Good Italian FoodbuddyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great twists on Italian food - loved the Shrimp Parmesan! Huge portions! Plan on sharing and taking home for more meals. Used the Valet parking. The Restaurant week menu was very generous and the wait staff made very good suggestions.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationFitGurl9Dined on 8/22/2014We celebrated a 30th birthday! We had a great time, the food was good! We miss the stroganoff dish, and the waiter recommended marinara sauce instead of vodka sauce for the spaghetti and meatballs which was not a good recommendation. Overall, the service was up to par and the birthday girl had a great birthday!Special Features:
- CarminesQSueDined on 8/21/2014We have been there several times. Sometimes we sit at the bar and eat, and their bartenders are always great ! It is a comfortable, tasty, go-to place that is not too far from our house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The staff was welcoming and knowledgeable about cuisine and wine options. Food was delicious. Authentic in flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Great food! Server recommended a nice bottle of wine that wasn't too pricey. The pear salad was to die for and the rest of our meal was delicious.Special Features:
- Past Its PrimeDinersVIPDined on 8/16/2014For many years, Carmine's on Penn was a vibrant spot for "family-style" Italian food. Its servers and host staff were welcoming and the food very good. We thought again of Carmine's for an early Saturday night dinner. Unfortunately, much of what made Carmine's an institution was missing. Even though we had a reservation, and the restaurant was barely half full, the host rather abruptly seated us in the deserted bar area. So much for ambience. The server was disinterested and brusque. Eventually, another unlucky family was seated in the bar and the same server admonished the child for touching another plate. So much for "family" style. We ordered the bruschetta to start, but then decided to move on to try another, more welcoming restaurant.
- Unpretentious, high quality foodSomethingtochewonDined on 8/15/2014I am kicking myself for not finding Carmine's sooner. I live two blocks from a fine Italian restaurant, but I will drive a mile and a half to Carmine's at the drop of a hat. The menu and portions are abundantly generous and very tasty. A treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian FoodSamuelDined on 8/12/2014The gnocchi was some of the best I've ever had. It was cooked perfectly with balanced flavors and textures. The price is reasonable for the quality of the food. I can't wait to try the entire menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly delicious!amymcDined on 8/8/2014We love Carmine's! The food is amazing and the family style portions make it a great place to go with friends. The menu is on blackboards and the servers are always ready to explain each dish. Everything about this place makes it one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Always GoodHowieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Once again a very enjoyable dinner. Tried the 20th anniversary special. Good value for the money. Portions remained same as regular sizes. So much that we took enough home for another meal.Special Features:
- Great TimeDenverManDined on 8/1/2014Excellent Dinner for a great price! Enjoyed atmosphere and staff. Highly recommend and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014We went for my wife's birthday and the food and service were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicesDanisheaDined on 7/20/2014My family and I had a wonderful experience. Our waiter was very helpful and funny. The food was amazing! One of the best Italian places I have been. I will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!AmberDined on 7/19/2014One of the few places we go to often. Great food, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always!MoonrunnerDined on 7/19/2014This is my 'go-to' place for celebrations. This time was no exception! The service was great and our waiter was able to suggest a wine based on what I was looking for with dinner. My only bummer was my favorite dessert is off the menu. If you are looking for a specific dish, I suggest you call first to inquire if it's on the seasonal menu. But whatever you have will be amazing!Special Features:
- Outstanding as always!svvitaleDined on 7/18/2014Took my parents to Carmine's since they can't get real Italian food in Oklahoma! Always a treat! Food is outstanding, wait staff is always friendly, and we never fail to take home leftovers. Best Italian in Denver in my book!Special Features:
- Carmine's-Taste Friendly and FineM2foodiesDined on 7/13/2014This was our first visit from the "burbs to this neighborhood family-style Italian restaurant in Denver not too far from The Mayan movie theater. The food choices were plentiful in variety and certainly plentiful on the plates. The server was very helpful in explaining and suggesting dish portions. As foodies, we loved the sureness of touch in the Chicken Pazza and the Vodka Ravioli. The tiramisu in a bowl was a surprise, rather saucy. We enjoyed great courtesy from the entire staff about a mix up on the booking time. For some reason, our choice of 7:00pm was correctly sent to the restaurant but the email notification to other participants put 7:30 pm. It all worked out. We all had a great time.Special Features:
- Forget the GF optionsCharlieDined on 7/12/2014We've been going to Carmine's for years (previous to my diagnosis of Celiac disease), so I was pleased to hear they have gluten free options. Last time we dined there, the gluten free pasta was amazing. This time we had the Chicken Montana. The pasta appeared to be Chinese rice noodles from a box. The chicken tasted boiled or simmered without seasoning. The sun dried tomatoes were so dry and chewy that we all picked them out. Maybe we just got a new chef that day, because the rest if the meal was excellent. Succulent mussels, fresh crispy salad, great mixology and wine started our experience. The dessert was decadent amd creative. The espresso took me back to Italy. My only suggestion would be to skip the gluten free pasta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super-large portions!FitforFoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Plan on having leftovers to take home. My husband I split chicken picatta and pasta and we still had enough leftovers for dinner the next day. Fortunately, the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itDeliciousDined on 7/10/2014Love it, one of our favorites! We done here frequently. Always great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsbearcatDined on 7/5/2014Great Spot. Wish they hadn't taken my old favorite, the Boscialo, off the menu, but the pear salad and gnocchi we had was amazing. I always love this place. Rock SolidSpecial Features:
- Staley-Valenza anniversary dinnerRobereBattaglia62114Dined on 6/21/2014Great menu. Excellent barbera wine, Denver Gin and some bread butter and any cheese that has romano in it and it never ran out! Nice job on both dishes preceeded by the pear salad- a winner. Smoked Gouda chicken ravioli not to bad!Great service Nate and he can even take decent pictures. Community banana split to initiate conclusion sequence was awesome. Couldn't sleep on my stomach for 12 hours...better for my back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.