Carmine's On Penn
92 S. Pennsylvania Street
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's On Penn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesonpenn.net/
- Phone: 3037776443x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Tuesday - Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:0pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Dan Grunewald
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is an added feature of the restaurant with the goal of bringing our respected, and consistently delicious food to you. By providing off-site service for corporate, business and private events, Carmine's offers a personal approach for clients and customers to enjoy and appreciate simple, yet satisfying, menu options at their place of work or in the privacy of their own backyard.
- Entertainment: None
A word from Carmine's On Penn
Carmine's on Penn was established in 1994 as a neighborhood, family-style Italian restaurant. Our atmosphere is casual, festive, and friendly. Our servers bring the chalkboard menu to life, describing dishes and offering advice on selecting just the right combination of food and beverage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Carmine's On Penn - Best Restaurants in Wash Park ›
Carmine's On Penn reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (96)good for groups (83)special occasion (55)great for outdoor dining (46)fit for foodies (43)romantic (32)notable wine list (29)hot spot (20)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience. The waiter knew his menu well and the food was very tasty. Portions are large and definitely for sharing as they warn you. The $20 Tuesday special is a very good deal. I'd highly recommend Carmine's for big groups to share and taste different mains.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceVVWDAWVIPDined on 10/18/2014It's always fun to eat here partly because of the atmosphere and partly because of the food. Even though the waiters are always more than willing to describe the menu items which are listed on the walls only by name, it can be a good idea to check out the full-blown descriptions on-line before you go because there is a lot to choose from. We've never been disappointed with our choices, though we felt the Antipasti Misti was not a the best appetizer selection. Our friends had never eaten here, and they also enjoyed the dining experience.Special Features:
- Fabulous food!FoodieloveDined on 10/17/2014Our waiter recommended some dishes and she did not disappoint! The food and service was fantastic! We loved the family style and it wasn't too loud for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantPoncheyDined on 10/12/2014Bring back the smoked chicken and cherry raviolis. Best item on the menu should not be seasonal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, But Conversation?DiningDivasAndDivosDined on 10/10/2014The food was wonderful and the service was outstanding. The only thing that kept it from being a perfect evening was we had to shout just to be heard across the table. The room was extremely noisy and even the waitress had difficulty in hearing our orders. Some easy noise dampening decorating would go along way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!zoe6282Dined on 10/4/2014We live in Denver and come here often or do takeout and bring it home. The food is consistently delicious and the service could not be better. I love how they serve each person each course. All of the staff is constantly on making your dining experience perfect from keeping your water filled at all times to asking you if you would like another drink or cocktail to keeping the yummy bread basket full at all times too. We brought friends from out of town here on Sat night and even though it was pretty busy we did not have to wait a long time for our food. The portions are generous and we always bring LOTS of leftovers home. One my of favorite places to eat out in Denver!!!Special Features:
- excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/4/2014The family style dinners are excellent, whatever you chose. The wait staff is friendly and they have an really good wine selection.Special Features:
- Love it!!!BeeGeeDined on 10/1/2014This is a great place for special occasions or a nice night out! Full menu of Italian favorites! Great wine menu as well. Ask for Bob for your server!Special Features:
- ConsistentLloydDined on 9/27/2014The food and service is always great!! The portions are definitely made to share. Everything is delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manager unfriendly and abrupt.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Love the atmosphere and family style service. Food is always good and it is a comfortable place for larger gatherings. It has been a great palce to bring my son and all his college friends on my visits to Denver. Only downside , manager would not seat us until all 7 of the party were present. Six of us were there, one was running late. He was unfriendly and made us feel uncomfortable. Our table was ready but we couldn't sit and have a drink or appetizer??? Maybe they need to change the policy.Special Features:
- Lookin4tasteDined on 9/24/2014I asked for a cozy table for two on line as it was our anniversary, I really didn't expect them to pay attention to the request, but they greeted us with Happy Anniversary as we walked in the door, and gave us what I asked for on the patio! Food & service were great. The servings were a little overboard for two, but we had great leftovers!Special Features:
- Good group date nightSleepLinesDined on 9/19/2014Went to Carmine's for a group date night and had a great time. The group we were with had a stupid amount of dietary restrictions, so...being a family style place it made for an ordering adventure. The server did an awesome job of helping us pick out meals that would work and accommodating everyone's needs. All the desserts had dairy in them. When my group had all ordered the dairy-filled desserts, the server sent out a special dessert for me as a surprise. It was great! The only thing that bothered us was that there weren't any details about the items on the menu. The restaurant does that on purpose so you talk to the server and ask questions, but it was hard to remember everything. We were googling meals when we were trying to decide.Special Features:
- Great Place for Large GroupsMeowsaDined on 9/13/2014The food is served family style, which means each dish brings a ton of food! Everything was delicious from the salad to the pasta! I highly recommend it for large groups or celebrationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The pear salad was all but. The server was curt and made it intimidating ask questions. The bolognese sauce was the worst in remembrance. It was meat with red water. The guy who delivered it with the server was saying so, but the server quieted him down right away.
- So generous!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014Carmine's has earned a special place in heaven for a restaurant who truly gives to the homeless. I attended a benefit for the Delores Project - a shelter for women experiencing homelessness. The staff was very knowledgeable and the delicious food was served family style. Expect large tasty portions! Thank you to Carmine's for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benefit for The Delores ProjectKatoDined on 9/2/2014A group of friends had dinner at Carmine's to benefit The Delores Project. Thank you, Carmine's, for supporting this organization that does wonderful things for women in need. Good Italian food served family style--much too much to finish but we enjoyed it again the next day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmine's on Penn.EnajDined on 9/2/2014We live in Sacramento, but when we are in Denver Carmine's on Penn is a must visit place to eat. Everyone is friendly and helpful. The garlic rolls are to die for! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BerrtcoMarcbertDined on 8/30/2014Again the food comepletly impressed our family ..can't wait to go back !Special Features:
- Hasit19Dined on 8/29/2014Went for restaurant week, trying out a new place. Was very good!!! Served family style. I wanted to try a couple of things, but with 2 people that would have been way to much food. So go with a group if it's your first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food and Good ServiceGigerDined on 8/29/2014We decided to try out Carmine's on Penn during Denver Restaurant Week and we are happy we did! We had a small group and it was perfect for our group. Lots of food! Very delicious food!! The only thing that we didn't care too much for was their chocolate cake, it was very dry, so we barely touched it. So, go there for their food, not desserts! You won't be disappointed with your meal.Special Features:
- MichiganDined on 8/28/2014Always have lots of leftovers to enjoy during the week.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemTripValueVIPDined on 8/28/2014If you're looking for a good family style Italian restaurant, it's the best in the Denver. I highly recommend giving it a try...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get ready for leftoversMollyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Went during restaurant week and didn't realize my my friend and I had to share 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert. Luckily we both liked mussels, which had prosciutto pieces in it- yum! Garlic bread knots were free and good to dip into the mussels. We shared the shrimp parmesan which was very rich and delicious. However, I wanted to order the Shrimp Diavlo, but my friend didn't want anything spicy. I'll have to go back and try it. The triple layer chocolate cake wasn't very special; it tasted the same as a cake from grocery store chain like Safeway or King Soopers. I wish we would have tried something else for dessert. Service was so-so....the server kept taking my vodka drink away before I was finished with it and same with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the costvisitorsVIPDined on 8/27/2014This restaurant should advertise that it's for groups of four or more only - otherwise a lot of take home food or waste. The quality of the food was only fair, except that the pasta itself was quite good. The sauce, vegetables, etc. only fair. Caesar salad was bland. Worst were the dessert cannoli's, which were tasteless, without any hint of sweetness or the wonderful cheese flavor. The only thing to taste were the chocolate chips. What a disappointing dinner, one of the worst we've had in a long time. Thank you for Restaurant Week that we didn't waste more money on a meal there.
- Solid food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed our meal at Carmine's on Penn. It was good Northern Italian cuisine. We only felt it was a little too loud and the food was better than most.Special Features:
- SarahVIPDined on 8/24/2014There were three of us for dinner. The food was good. But, I would only return to this place if there were 4 or more in my party. The dishes are family style and serve approximately 4 people. Because of this, we only had one appetizer and one entree. So, with more people, we could have ordered more and been able to experience more. The service was a little inattentive. Again, I would go back, but only with a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Very great dinning experience! Definitely go with a couple of people because their food comes in big portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful neighborhood eateryFoodie59Dined on 8/23/2014Great food. GENEROUS portions. Wonderful covered patio. Valet service so you don't have to find a place to park. We had a wonderful time with friends. Service was excellent as well. Attentive without being annoyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanRDined on 8/23/2014The food was good as was the service, but we felt rushed, in and out in an hour. Yes, it was restaurant week, but we speant over $100 and it seemed like we were on an assembly line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come Hungry!!DaveDined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent and in great quantity! I would highly recommend Carmine's. Come with friends and share the family style dining, you'll still go home with a "to-go" box!Special Features:
- Good Italian FoodbuddyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great twists on Italian food - loved the Shrimp Parmesan! Huge portions! Plan on sharing and taking home for more meals. Used the Valet parking. The Restaurant week menu was very generous and the wait staff made very good suggestions.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationFitGurl9Dined on 8/22/2014We celebrated a 30th birthday! We had a great time, the food was good! We miss the stroganoff dish, and the waiter recommended marinara sauce instead of vodka sauce for the spaghetti and meatballs which was not a good recommendation. Overall, the service was up to par and the birthday girl had a great birthday!Special Features:
- CarminesQSueDined on 8/21/2014We have been there several times. Sometimes we sit at the bar and eat, and their bartenders are always great ! It is a comfortable, tasty, go-to place that is not too far from our house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food. great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The staff was welcoming and knowledgeable about cuisine and wine options. Food was delicious. Authentic in flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Great food! Server recommended a nice bottle of wine that wasn't too pricey. The pear salad was to die for and the rest of our meal was delicious.Special Features:
- OutstandingAlanCDined on 8/16/2014Modeled after Carmine's in NYC. Family style, big portions. Unlike most restaurants, Carmine's isn't afraid of big flavors. There's very few places I'll go for Italian, because I can make as good or better at home. Carmines makes stuff I cannot make, and flavors I can't wait to try again.
- Past Its PrimeDinersVIPDined on 8/16/2014For many years, Carmine's on Penn was a vibrant spot for "family-style" Italian food. Its servers and host staff were welcoming and the food very good. We thought again of Carmine's for an early Saturday night dinner. Unfortunately, much of what made Carmine's an institution was missing. Even though we had a reservation, and the restaurant was barely half full, the host rather abruptly seated us in the deserted bar area. So much for ambience. The server was disinterested and brusque. Eventually, another unlucky family was seated in the bar and the same server admonished the child for touching another plate. So much for "family" style. We ordered the bruschetta to start, but then decided to move on to try another, more welcoming restaurant.
- Unpretentious, high quality foodSomethingtochewonDined on 8/15/2014I am kicking myself for not finding Carmine's sooner. I live two blocks from a fine Italian restaurant, but I will drive a mile and a half to Carmine's at the drop of a hat. The menu and portions are abundantly generous and very tasty. A treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian FoodSamuelDined on 8/12/2014The gnocchi was some of the best I've ever had. It was cooked perfectly with balanced flavors and textures. The price is reasonable for the quality of the food. I can't wait to try the entire menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly delicious!amymcDined on 8/8/2014We love Carmine's! The food is amazing and the family style portions make it a great place to go with friends. The menu is on blackboards and the servers are always ready to explain each dish. Everything about this place makes it one of our favorites!Special Features: