Carmine's On Penn
92 S. Pennsylvania Street
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's On Penn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesonpenn.net/
- Phone: 3037776443x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Tuesday - Sunday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:0pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Dan Grunewald
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is an added feature of the restaurant with the goal of bringing our respected, and consistently delicious food to you. By providing off-site service for corporate, business and private events, Carmine's offers a personal approach for clients and customers to enjoy and appreciate simple, yet satisfying, menu options at their place of work or in the privacy of their own backyard.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Blue Room accommodates parties ranging in size from 15 to 32. We offer inclusive pricing with food and wine selected for your party.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Kozicki 3039576503x
- Entertainment: None
A word from Carmine's On Penn
Carmine's on Penn was established in 1994 as a neighborhood, family-style Italian restaurant. Our atmosphere is casual, festive, and friendly. Our servers bring the chalkboard menu to life, describing dishes and offering advice on selecting just the right combination of food and beverage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Carmine's On Penn - Best Restaurants in Wash Park ›
Carmine's On Penn reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since April 1 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)good for groups (62)special occasion (49)great for outdoor dining (39)fit for foodies (38)notable wine list (25)kid-friendly (21)romantic (20)hot spot (7)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014We went for my wife's birthday and the food and service were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicesDanisheaDined on 7/20/2014My family and I had a wonderful experience. Our waiter was very helpful and funny. The food was amazing! One of the best Italian places I have been. I will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!AmberDined on 7/19/2014One of the few places we go to often. Great food, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always!MoonrunnerDined on 7/19/2014This is my 'go-to' place for celebrations. This time was no exception! The service was great and our waiter was able to suggest a wine based on what I was looking for with dinner. My only bummer was my favorite dessert is off the menu. If you are looking for a specific dish, I suggest you call first to inquire if it's on the seasonal menu. But whatever you have will be amazing!Special Features:
- Outstanding as always!svvitaleDined on 7/18/2014Took my parents to Carmine's since they can't get real Italian food in Oklahoma! Always a treat! Food is outstanding, wait staff is always friendly, and we never fail to take home leftovers. Best Italian in Denver in my book!Special Features:
- Carmine's-Taste Friendly and FineM2foodiesDined on 7/13/2014This was our first visit from the "burbs to this neighborhood family-style Italian restaurant in Denver not too far from The Mayan movie theater. The food choices were plentiful in variety and certainly plentiful on the plates. The server was very helpful in explaining and suggesting dish portions. As foodies, we loved the sureness of touch in the Chicken Pazza and the Vodka Ravioli. The tiramisu in a bowl was a surprise, rather saucy. We enjoyed great courtesy from the entire staff about a mix up on the booking time. For some reason, our choice of 7:00pm was correctly sent to the restaurant but the email notification to other participants put 7:30 pm. It all worked out. We all had a great time.Special Features:
- Forget the GF optionsCharlieDined on 7/12/2014We've been going to Carmine's for years (previous to my diagnosis of Celiac disease), so I was pleased to hear they have gluten free options. Last time we dined there, the gluten free pasta was amazing. This time we had the Chicken Montana. The pasta appeared to be Chinese rice noodles from a box. The chicken tasted boiled or simmered without seasoning. The sun dried tomatoes were so dry and chewy that we all picked them out. Maybe we just got a new chef that day, because the rest if the meal was excellent. Succulent mussels, fresh crispy salad, great mixology and wine started our experience. The dessert was decadent amd creative. The espresso took me back to Italy. My only suggestion would be to skip the gluten free pasta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super-large portions!FitforFoodieDined on 7/12/2014Plan on having leftovers to take home. My husband I split chicken picatta and pasta and we still had enough leftovers for dinner the next day. Fortunately, the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itDeliciousDined on 7/10/2014Love it, one of our favorites! We done here frequently. Always great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsbearcatDined on 7/5/2014Great Spot. Wish they hadn't taken my old favorite, the Boscialo, off the menu, but the pear salad and gnocchi we had was amazing. I always love this place. Rock SolidSpecial Features:
- Staley-Valenza anniversary dinnerRobereBattaglia62114Dined on 6/21/2014Great menu. Excellent barbera wine, Denver Gin and some bread butter and any cheese that has romano in it and it never ran out! Nice job on both dishes preceeded by the pear salad- a winner. Smoked Gouda chicken ravioli not to bad!Great service Nate and he can even take decent pictures. Community banana split to initiate conclusion sequence was awesome. Couldn't sleep on my stomach for 12 hours...better for my back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDenverDinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014Never left this place unimpressed. They serve family style so going with a group is awesome as you can try several dishes. They also don't rush the party out the door which I think is great. I enjoy lingering between dishes and having great conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been a long time...gmanDined on 6/7/2014It's been nearly seven years since I have been to Carmine's. I use to go there a lot in 2004 and 2005 when I lived closer to the neighbor hood. The best part of the evening was the same great food and attitude of the staff still exist. Thank you Carmine's for bringing back some good memories and I will be back more often now that I've seen you still carry the same class and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like an old friendAnniversaryDined on 6/6/2014I hadn't eaten here in at least a dozen years, and found it like coming home. Really great staff, excellent food (although served family style, so if you are just a couple, come hungry) and service was enjoyable. Definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- Excellent dining for Family EventJohnDined on 6/6/2014Food is well prepared family style Italian recipes. Served in large portions that easily will feed 4-5 adults. Server was very helpful in suggesting combinations of pasta and proteins. All food prepared from scratch. Very reasonable wine list, excellent selections for all budgets and not the extreme markup some restaurants. The large portions might present a challenge for couples (or plenty to take home for another meal). We dined on the patio and was quite pleasant.Special Features:
- Carmines is a gemlcjlondonDined on 6/6/2014Carmines on Penn never disappoints. It has been consistent for the past 18 years (and perhaps longer, that's just how long we've been going). We recently went in a group and had a fabulous dinner. Everyone was pleased with the food, had plenty to eat and best of all we were able to converse. Often times with larger groups you cannot do that but at Carmines on a round table, you can. A big plus! Great meal, Great value for money! Everyone Wins!Special Features:
- AwesomesauceFERRETINTHEBUSHDined on 6/4/2014It's like applesauce but more awesome than that. The people we ate with were so not cool but luckily we had mazing food and super cool waiter guy to help us through the meal. Venezuela sucks. Sorry I have a biased opinion. 'MERICASpecial Features:
- Understated and FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014Carmine's on Penn is a neighborhood gen that everyone needs to visit. I loved the food and the vibe in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Birthday bashDenverdinerDined on 6/1/2014We all enjoyed our dining experience at Carmine's. Our server was exceptional! He had a great personality and wasn't afraid to join in with our conversations. Made all of us feel welcome and made sure we had everything we needed. Only reason I gave food 4 out of 5 stars....I'm Italian and IRS hard to compete with my own cooking! Wonderful overall experience! I will recommend friends for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014The food is always good here, however the veal was way over cooked. When the waiter asked "how everything was" I said very good except The veal is over cooked and dry. He said oh ok thanks and walked away. Hardly a solution. We were with a group of six and It was a bit awkward Since most of us were meeting for the first time.Special Features:
- Great Again!!HowieVIPDined on 5/30/2014Last minute decision to go to Carmine's paid off with an excellent enjoyable meal. We eat here fairly often but this time tried new dishes. Just like our usual choices the new ones were delicious and great. it seemed like the entire staff, including managers were making sure we had everything we needed.Special Features:
- Extraordinary service and foodsahumDined on 5/29/2014We enjoyed a great evening - as we took our welcome-home-for-the-summer son for dinner. This was our third time dining at Carmine's on Penn. Our good experience continues! Wow what a lot of food.... and it's ALL delicious. Service was excellent - attentive without being intrusive. Bring your appetite and friends for this abundant family style dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Group ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/20/2014My son's birthday and his sister, her fiance, myself, and my son came together to celebrate. We had the mussels, the portobello mushrooms, the ceasar salad, and the veal parmgiana. Shared by all and all good. The courses came out just about right, not too long a wait and not too short. Life is good.Special Features:
- Must Stop When In DenverMoeSteeleDined on 5/15/2014When traveling to Denver, Carmine's On Penn is on my list of must stop in to have dinner. Its not only the excellent Italian food served family style and the service but this is a neighborhood favorite with great atmosphere.Special Features:
- A family favoriteDenverMomDined on 5/15/2014We enjoy Carmine's for family nights. Great food and excellent service. It does tend to get crowded (popular spot) and I'd recommend making a reservation if you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmine's On PennOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/14/2014The food here is delicious. The staff was upbeat and fun, the portions generous and our group left happily full. If you like desserts, don't pass up the opportunity to order the Tiramisu. It's out of this world! Highly recommend this restaurant not only for the quality of the meals but the flexibility and attitude of the kitchen. Our group dinner was 7 people - work outing - and we had various food restrictions; a gluten free, a vegetarian and no-dairy. The restaurant could not have been more helpful making recommendations and ensuring we had a great experience.Special Features:
- Always Fantastic!musteatmoreDined on 5/13/2014I have been dining at Carmines for over 12 years, and I have never once had anything to complain about. The food is over the top, family style. Service is casual and perfect. I really can not say enough good things about this place and I have been in the business for 30 years. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDinnerDined on 5/11/2014The dinner and our server was excellent. Do not. Sit in the back room there is TOO much loud kitchen noiseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's dayjofromfrisco2Dined on 5/11/2014This was my first time eating at Carmine's. The food was well prepared and the waiter helped us navigate the menu. Everything was delicious and we had a wonderful time. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service, loud settingF000dLuvrDined on 5/10/2014The food was great, as always. The service is also wonderful and friendly. I made the reservation several months prior and requested to be seated outside due to having a special dinner with family for a birthday celebration, but it was not honored (I was told they tried, but it didn't work out, which corresponds to poor planning on their part with a party our size and a repeat customer). I understand business and how restaurants get slammed, but given that I also called to confirm earlier that day and reiterated the request to be on the patio, it is disappointing to not have that honored. The noise level inside the restaurant is extremely high and you have to yell at people next to you to hear them; I wish they would hang tapestries.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I visited Carmine's on May 10th and had a fantastic Mother's Day dinner. The food was delicious, our waitress Marium was very attentive and friendly, however the restaurant smelled like it was mopped with a stale, sour mop. You could smell it the moment you came to hostess area and it permeated the entire restaurant. Not a pleasant smell!Special Features:
- Great preBirthday DinnetHowieVIPDined on 5/8/2014Once again we had a great meal at Carmine's on Penn. Last minute reservation but still accommodated for just the right table. Friendly and efficient wait staff. Food taste excellent and very fresh. Large portions so we will enjoy at home what was left over.Special Features:
- Pleasantly satisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/25/2014Food was excellent. The drinks were expensive though while the food was great value. We noted that there wasn't a big wine selection.Special Features:
- 28th Birthday Dinner Successmrw424Dined on 4/24/2014I dined here with a group of 10, 2 were kids. We had a wonderful server who was knowledgeable and entertaining with great suggestions on food and wine. This was my second time at Carmine's on Penn, but all of my guest's first time. I can't wait to come back again!Special Features:
- Amazing ServiceDinerOnABusgetDined on 4/22/2014Our evening was enhanced by the amazing waitstaff. They were very familiar with the extensive wine list. Were very honest about the size of portions and responded to special dietary needs. The food was great but the staff made the evening truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedRevlimiterDined on 4/19/2014Service was great but the table clearer was not very good. He dripped on the table and soiled otherwise clean napkins. I was on a diet and found it difficult to order family style as the rest of our party was not dieting.Special Features:
- ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014The food was great however we made reservation 3 weeks in advance for a special occasion only to be sat at the most remote table in the restaurants the back corner by the kitchen Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and still greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2014We had not been to Carmine's in a long time. But we recently moved to a nearby neighborhood and decided it was time to revisit an old favorite. It did not disappoint. The same enormous family style portion are alot for 2 people, but they make it work and we had some great leftover pasta for lunch the next day.Special Features:
- Great ItalianEatnSleepDined on 4/12/2014Food is served family style. For four diners, we started off with an antipasta misti (which had salamis, cheeses, and these awesome deep fried olives), house salad, and one entree (the chicken montana). The bread is also very good, almost biscuit-like, but flaky and brushed with butter. We had a chianti (not sure of the name), but complemented the food very well. Chocolate cake for dessert was great, too, sprinkled with toasted almonds while a couple of chocolate covered strawberries rode sidecar. Great experience, great service, excellent food. Parking can be a little tough, but they do have a valet. Will definitely go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014Food was good, service lacked. No manager stopped by either.Special Features:
- The following 1103 reviews are from the Carmine's On Penn reviews archive.