Carmine's - 91st Street - NYC
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's - 91st Street - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 362-2200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joe Delgado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Let Carmine's Cater your next party. We offer full service catering for all types of events. Let us drop off and setup or let us stay and serve your guests with the Carmine's experience at your door. Contact our Catering Department at 212-362-6444.
- Special Events: Host your party where the Carmine's tradition began. The Little Room is the perfect setting for intimate gatherings, business meetings, rehearsal dinners or other social get-togethers. Our Executive Chef has created four course menus that are served at one long table. The Little Room seats up to 40 guests.
Our main dining room boasts a massive mahogany bar, vaulted ceilings, and cathedral chandeliers. This former ballroom is quintessential New York and is ideal for private parties and special events. This pioneer of the Upper West Side can host a seated dinner, served family style, for up to 300 guests. Celebrate Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, weddings, corporate dinners, or fundraisers. We've designed special menus for cocktail and buffet receptions for up to 350.
Celebrate special occasions in the fun, festive atmosphere that is Carmine’s.
Contact our Special Events Department at 212-721-5587.
A word from Carmine's - 91st Street - NYC
Carmine's simple and very popular concept is to serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast - which means large portions of home-style antipasti, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on large platters designed for sharing. And when we say large, we mean large. An entree here could easily feed three to four average eaters. Located in a sprawling, former grand ballroom on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, this is the original Carmines. Designed by Peter Niemitz, the interiors evoke the images of the quintessential New York restaurant. With elements and details from the 1920s to the 1940s, the restaurant has the look and feel of a place that has been around for much longer than it's 1990 opening. If you are in the market for freshly prepared family style Italian food that is served in huge portions at reasonable prices, this is the place for you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carmine's - 91st Street - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
272 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (227)special occasion (122)fit for foodies (111)kid-friendly (110)neighborhood gem (97)great for lunch (71)hot spot (52)romantic (30)late-night find (26)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (25)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (16)scenic view (10)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014Great service, great wait staff. And of course the food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Go with a hungry group!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/23/2014Really good food, wonderful service and fun, lively atmosphere. The portions are enough for six, so bring friends or plan on lots of leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014Food was outstanding, very delicious!! It's very noisy.. Fun with a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Wait Staff this time.RayRodDined on 11/22/2014I've gone to the Carmines restaurant uptown, many times. The food has always been excellent, as well as the service. However, all good streaks come to an end I suppose. Our waitress was friendly and seemed ok at 1st, but after taking our drinks order, and appetizer order, things went dowhill from there. (we were provided our appetizer/salad 1st and then had to ask the waitress for bread). After the salad arrived our waitress advised she was leaving for the night, and "that guy over there will be taking over our table". We wanted to place our order at that point and asked if she was able to take it, which she accomodated. "That guy who was taking over our table was no where to be seen, and never made an attempt to introduce themself as the cover for our previous waitress. Not once did he come by to check if we needed refills on our drinks, or bottled water, but he was aware enough to check on the tables to the left and right of us. The staff who assisted and brought the bread, salad, and entrees were MUCH more useful than this waiter who was filling in and supposedly our waiter now. Luckily our food, came out, which meant the waitress we initially placed the order for us....we were reluctant she got the order in as she seemed to be in a rush to get off her shift. But the waiter who covered for her afterwards did absolutely NOTHING. Oh, actually he did, he came by and asked if we wanted desert....No thanks buddy, just get us the check so we can get outta here. I'll be back, but i won't settle for that kind of service at Carmines again, as I was trying to be patient with my girlfriend while trying to enjoy her birthday meal, and didnt want to make a stink as we were having a good time aside from the non-existent waiter. If we ever get that waiter again, i'll ask to be seated elsewhere, or for another waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed the family style dining !GfamDined on 11/16/2014The food was great and our waiter, Raheem, was wonderful ! 😃Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!slw422Dined on 11/16/2014Awesome food! Awesome food! Did I mention the food was great! I would recommend to anyone that loves real Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tablefor2Dined on 11/16/2014Family style meals, more than you can eat. Not the best for only two but the food was still very good and the service was great.Its more fun with a group to share different dishes with, they are all good. Very attentive from the start right to the take home bag. Save the waiting time and make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring Family and friends, plenty of Delicious FoodChuckMDined on 11/16/2014Five of us went there for lunch on a Sunday and we ordered a Pasta order and a Chicken order. The waiter said the meals were meant to feed 4 - 6 people so our size group was perfect. I think there was enough food to feed about 8 people, they are generous with the portions and the food tasted fresh and delicious. Definitely the Italian style of serving, loads of food for all, which we liked a lot. The atmosphere is relaxed, restaurant has a lot of energy as you would expect and it is a fun place to go. I would recommend it, but be sure to bring plenty of family and friends or be prepared to bring home some of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!LewlewDined on 11/15/2014So my party and I showed up a half an hour late. We thought we would have to wait seeing as we were late. They sat us right away no questions asked no problems. There were six of us we order so much food we tried are best to eat it all, it wasn't happening. The good was amazing we just have bigger eyes then stomachs. I loved their chicken it's always cooked perfect. Their steak and potatoes were on point as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night dinneral7sDined on 11/15/2014I made a reservation for three people for 7p.m. and it's a good thing I did because it was PACKED! We were seated around 7:10/7:15. We ordered the baked clams as an appetizer-Soooo GOOD! The serving came with about ten pieces and we easily could have devoured another ten! Just delicious. Upon the server's recommendation we ordered the chicken parmigiana which was really good. It was very loud in the restaurant due to the sheer volume of people (and thus kind of cramped as well) but the food was well worth the noise and crowdedness. Summary Great place to share food Make a reservation (and come on time or else they may give away your table!) Get the baked clams :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every night is a partyNeilVIPDined on 11/15/2014If you have a big group looking for casual fun and excellent food, this is the place.Special Features:
- A must try!TopazDined on 11/15/2014Our meal started with a wonderful appetizer, the calamari is the best I've ever had! The Carmine's salad was fresh and delicious, the lasagna was good but I'd prefer without meat, or sausage instead of beef, but still a great dish. Love the family style and large portions. We had left overs and our party of 4 was definitely satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRichardRDined on 11/15/2014This was my first time at this location of Carmine's and it was a major letdown.
- ModeloDined on 11/13/2014GREAT SERVICE BY SEAN AND FOOD WAS GREAT...THE ONLY THING I DIDNT LIKE WAS THAT THE SALAD AND CALAMARI WAS MEANT TO COME OUT TOGETHER BUT SALAD CAME OUT QUICKLY BUT THE CALAMARI TOOK AWHILE TO COME OUTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never a complaint from about carminesgmadDined on 11/12/2014The atmosphere, food, the servers, the other people make carmine's a great restaurant to eat atSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy Even at 6pmYumjDined on 11/9/2014Very busy, vibrant place. The food is served family style with huge portions. The servers were helpful and the food was good. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 58AvenueDined on 11/8/2014Great food and service. Perfect for a party of 6 because the food is serviced family style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014I was very disappointed at the service and the quality of the food for this well-known restaurant. It has become too much of a factory style eatery and less of the authentic Italian cuisine you'd expect. We received wrong food, rushed service, inaccurate bill. It was far too much of a headache to have enjoyed the experience. Carmine's doesn't really care if you and your family have a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent!Dawn197Dined on 11/8/2014Kids love coming here when we visit NYC!! Food is abundant and fresh!Special Features:
- Big Parties, book more!MariaDined on 11/7/2014Good food and a lively environment. I would recommend for large groups, but book at least 1 week in advance. My advice would be to overbook, and take away if someone cancels, as they are not open to adding to your reservation, even at 2 or 3 days prior. Very busy! Fun place you don't have to worry about being loud, as the whole ambiance is energetic.Special Features:
- Always love Carmine'sBarbaraDined on 11/5/2014I have been to all locations of Carmine's. Every time the food is delicious and the service is great. Highly recommend , especially for a large group. There were 6 of us and we all enjoyed every course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDined on 11/4/2014It has ALWAYS been one of my favorite eateries since the early 90's. The place to share great food mixed with great drinks and your best of friends and/or family. The atmosphere raises your energy to complete the day. There are great food selections and have always been consistantly DELICIOUS and plentiful. I just love it there.Special Features:
- West side institutionTipsyDined on 11/2/2014Energetic family restaurant ! Good for groups- huge portions but great food- fun!Special Features:
- Family diningKristinaDined on 11/2/2014This is a restaurant were you order groupwise, one dish serves 3-4 persons if you combine it with a choice of pasta. So it is very affordable. Wine is served in ordinary water glasses, wich is explained to be the typical Italian way. Not true to our knowledge, but if you ask kindly you can get a cognac snifter for your wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmine's is Great!datzitDined on 11/2/2014Carmine's has always been a favorite. They continue to deliver the same quality of service and food as they did when they first opened. I have had many memorable dinners here. Thank you!
- joyce23Dined on 11/2/2014Carmines had typical Italian American cuisine. It did not differ from a neighborhood pizza place. The sausage was bland; the manicotti was nothing out of the ordinary. There was too much garlic in the salad and too much salt. I tasted the garlic for over a day and I drank a lot of water. The prices were high for the quality. Being Italian, having travelled to Italy many times, and having relatives and friends from Italy, I could not recommend this restaurant to them.Special Features:
- New York City Marathon PreRace MealKcv66Dined on 11/1/2014If your in a hurry don't go when it's busy. The wait is worth it and the energy is fantastic. Bring a big appetite the portions are huge family style and the flavors are amazing. Chicken scarpariello was awesome. Bread pudding is the best I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before Book of MormonJimODined on 11/1/2014Great way to start the experience. Tried to get into the midtown location but couldn't get reservations. It was well worth the trip tot he upper Westside. The garlic bread with parmesan was great! The Pasta and meatballs were very good, the shrimp parmesan was even better ant the veal masala was OUTSTANDING! Veal was extremely tender and the sauce with mushrooms was the best I have ever eaten (this was not the first time I have ordered this meal at Carmine's). The cannoli desert was a great way to end this fabulous dinner. Great service!!Special Features:
- 11.1 visit to Carmine's yumOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Service was fast and friendly. He understood we had kids and fed them first will come again. Had the amazing garlic bread and chicken parm as well as rigatoni country style. Delish!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful meal loved it great staffBevoDined on 10/31/2014Great cesar salad with tangy anchovies shrimp parm yummy pasta white clam sauce rich lots of clamsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couples beware...DBBvisitorDined on 10/31/2014Unfortunately we made the mistake of going back to Carmines a second time as a couple thinking we could relive our first visit.... sadly we were wrong. We were given a table for two tucked away in the corner and were treated as an inconvenience as the attention is certainly placed on larger tables and groups. The service was lackluster and the busboy was more attentive than our waiter. Ordering food for two people at Carmines is not to be recommended as the portions are so huge that you cannot have more than two dishes or you will end up wasting most of it, although you can have the leftovers packed to go. As we are visiting and moving on to Halloween festivities we were not in a position to take food away.Special Features:
- dinnerNunnaDined on 10/30/2014Spoke to deserae on the phone informed her I was going to be late she automatically have me a second reservation which was amazing, the welcoming as I eneteted with my family was amazing since I had my sister visiting from Lexington NY , they don't have restaurants like Carmine's there. I will always come back to this Carmine's. Great food . Amazing people. Best food ever! Even though it is loud but hey we are in NYC. Thank you all and everyone !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceEnjoyableDined on 10/30/2014Good food and service. Hope to return when I am again in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- EhKyeeDined on 10/29/2014I've been here a bunch of times. When I was here recently I was made aware that the severs normally make the plates. I was disappointed and slightly offended by this because not once has that been done for me nor was it done the last time I was there. If this is something carmines does it should be done all the time. Food overall was good. Penne al la vodka was a salty. But I'll come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014carmine's never fails to impress. It is cozy, unassuming. Food is always good, and hearty. Will always return to Carmine'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & Service...MrWinsloweDined on 10/28/2014Excellent food & service... A true dining pleasure.. The calamari is to die for... Frozen Cosmo topped it off..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for allkasirishDined on 10/25/2014Great food and service once seated! If you are on a tight schedule or will have hungry or impatient children, especially on a weekend evening, make your reservations EARLY - we were seated 30-60 minutes after our reservation time. Felt like a new restauant trying to figure out their business until we were seated, even then the servers took care of tables on the run.Special Features:
- Good for groups.Luv2travelDined on 10/25/2014Marvelous menu selection . Enable large group to consider various choices to share. Wait staff professional and experts at making recommendations .Special Features:
- Consistently excellentMBtravelDined on 10/24/2014My friend's and I have been going there for years. It's usually around 10 of us. What is great is that they have round tables to accommodate a party of our size which makes it easier to converse with everyone- not just the person sitting next to you. The food is always outstanding and the portions are very large and meant to be shared. The price point is extremely reasonable. This is still one of my favorite restaurants anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Carminesluv2dineDined on 10/24/2014Great service, great family sized portions. Nice area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.