Carmine's - 91st Street - NYC
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's - 91st Street - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123622200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joe Delgado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Let Carmine's Cater your next party. We offer full service catering for all types of events. Let us drop off and setup or let us stay and serve your guests with the Carmine's experience at your door. Contact our Catering Department at 212-362-6444.
- Special Events: Host your party where the Carmine's tradition began. The Little Room is the perfect setting for intimate gatherings, business meetings, rehearsal dinners or other social get-togethers. Our Executive Chef has created four course menus that are served at one long table. The Little Room seats up to 40 guests.
Our main dining room boasts a massive mahogany bar, vaulted ceilings, and cathedral chandeliers. This former ballroom is quintessential New York and is ideal for private parties and special events. This pioneer of the Upper West Side can host a seated dinner, served family style, for up to 300 guests. Celebrate Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, weddings, corporate dinners, or fundraisers. We've designed special menus for cocktail and buffet receptions for up to 350.
Celebrate special occasions in the fun, festive atmosphere that is Carmine’s.
Contact our Special Events Department at 212-721-5587.
A word from Carmine's - 91st Street - NYC
Carmine's simple and very popular concept is to serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast - which means large portions of home-style antipasti, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on large platters designed for sharing. And when we say large, we mean large. An entree here could easily feed three to four average eaters. Located in a sprawling, former grand ballroom on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, this is the original Carmines. Designed by Peter Niemitz, the interiors evoke the images of the quintessential New York restaurant. With elements and details from the 1920s to the 1940s, the restaurant has the look and feel of a place that has been around for much longer than it's 1990 opening. If you are in the market for freshly prepared family style Italian food that is served in huge portions at reasonable prices, this is the place for you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carmine's - 91st Street - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
255 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (213)special occasion (134)kid-friendly (94)fit for foodies (89)neighborhood gem (85)great for lunch (60)hot spot (38)romantic (30)great for brunch (28)late-night find (26)great for outdoor dining (25)notable wine list (23)vibrant bar scene (23)scenic view (8)Show More
- Celebrated My Son's 21st BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Great food, great service and comfortable environment where big groups can enjoy their dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciososebeDined on 9/14/2014We have been here many times and the food is always great. The atmosphere is exciting and definitely worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud & ProudTonightsHighScoreDined on 9/12/2014Carmines on 91st is an over the top red sauce spot. Their customers are almost always celebrating something, their wait staff is incredibly accommodating, and the food gets the job done. I went in with low expectations, but quickly gave into the comforting glutinous feeling that comes along with their cuisine. If you just watched good fells and are looking for satisfaction, Carmines is your spot.Special Features:
- Fantastic alternative to 44th St.Bklyn9CchanDined on 9/12/2014I never even considered the 91st Street Carmine's as I was so accustomed to the 44th Street location. I was pleasantly surprised that the service and most importantly the food was consistent with the location I've loved for years. Although this location is smaller it's roomier between tables. The staff is pleasant and understanding. Half of my party was very late for our reservation but we were still seated immediately without hesitation when they arrived. The bathrooms were impeccably kept which is another big plus in my book. A definite five stars from me. I'll be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fantastic but not serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014My husband frequent Carmines a few times a year when we head into the city and usually have a great experience. The food is always amazing, the portions are great for left overs or suitable when bringing those from out of town to share dishes. The last time we went, the weather was beautiful so we took advantage and got a table outside. I think the waiter forgot about us because he never even brought out our bread. The table next to us had two very loud men who spent the entire time laughing and joking around with their waiter who stood by the table the entire time encouraging their drunk behavior. I was really disappointed and will be getting take out from now on to avoid the poor staff.Special Features:
- Great for a group of eight!MisterEDined on 9/10/2014We had the antipasta and calamari (delivered by accident) and shared the vodka sauce on penne, calamari red on linguini and veal parm. All were perfect! Getting calamari right other than fried is no easy trick! We left happily stuffed. Staff was attentive, first waiter seemed new and was struggling a little, but others picked up the slack seemlessly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyEatlovelaughDined on 9/8/2014My fiancé and I have been wanting to come to this place for quite sometime and I'm so glad we did. Everything was spectacular! From the Beauty of the chandeliers to the friendly service to the delicious aromatic smells of the food. We're definitely coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencesuecDined on 9/7/2014We were a group of 8 dining before a 3:00 matinee. We were seated immediately (we had reservations). The night before, we needed to add 2 extra people and that was easily accommodated online. Each couple chose an entree to share with the rest of the group. Since dinners are served family style, we were able to sample a variety of items which were all delicious and plentiful! I will return with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Meet FriendslovethebreadDined on 9/6/2014I love Carmine's. The food is great and the service is always good. I love the bread, but be careful, you can get full on the bread alone. My friends and I attend once a month to catch up on our lives. Great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one main course would feed 4 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014we ordered 4 main courses and really feel that we were hard done the portions are huge one would feed 3/4 people and in other restaurants we visited we were advised of this at the time of ordering. felt ripped off as we were not American would not recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Huge portionsStardust43Dined on 9/4/2014If you don't want to cook for a few days, order enough to bring home. Each platter serves 4-6 or more people. The breadstix are delicious. The service and personnel are pleasant and helpful.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantMalibuahVIPDined on 9/3/2014This is a great neighborhood restaurant that has up held in status through the years.Special Features:
- Lunch after show taping4CarmelDined on 9/3/2014we arrived and we were seated immediately. The hostess told us the bathrooms were out of order and they had port a potties outside. Well I hate them but we had a hours drive so we went in. OMG they were amazing you couldn't tell that you were not at a catering hall. It was absolutely incredible. We each ordered a pasta plate and not one of us could finish our food. I took the leftovers home and my husband ate it for dinner. He raved about the taste. My friends had ravioli and penne a la vodka, they also took their food home. So much food at such a great price.Special Features:
- will returnsparkeeVIPDined on 8/31/2014Carmine's will become a tradition for our us open weekends. Previously, we went to another family-style Italian restaurant, but Carmine's will be the one we go to from now on. The food was wonderful. The service was great! Kristen, our server was very knowledgeable, courteous, responsive, and pleasant. We will ask for her again.Special Features:
- Consistent with reputationGautamDined on 8/31/2014Be ready for a lot of activity and noise. All the reviews say it all about this place being busy, crowded, and noisy but that is the charm. Food is family style and tastes great. Take your time and enjoy the ambience and experience because that is truly what this is - "an experience".Special Features:
- great atmospherekentpilgrimsDined on 8/31/2014Labor Day weekend so many families having great time. Fabulous noisy evening for two Brits who enjoyed every minute. Do listen to advice given to you, the portions are very large, so a bit of planning needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TraaaTraaDined on 8/31/2014This place has excellent food and staff!! Just a tip everything is family style everything! Not really a place to eat for 2 unless u don't mind eating the same thing at home for the next couple of days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Menus are on the wall. Overall svc. was good but the is super American. Great for groups.Special Features:
- Great birthday celebrationHappydinerDined on 8/28/2014If you are celebrating a birthday with family and friends, this is a good place to go. Served family style, the Italian food is plentiful and delicious. Don't leave without ordering the zucchini fries which are shredded and fried to perfection. The oreganata salmon was very good. Leave room for dessert. The ricotta cheesecake melts in your mouth. Loud but lively ambience and service was slow but worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family-style dinner outingSuzyNYCDined on 8/24/2014Took my mom & dad here for their 55th wedding anniversary. Since they are in their 70's the stairs were a bit of an issue for them, but the food, drinks and wait service made it worthwhile. They had a great time. Alex, our waiter, was extremely accommodating to all of our needs (read pickiness).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!!GoodTimesDiining28Dined on 8/23/2014We had a good time visiting Carmine's. We've been many times before and the food was great as usual. The only negatives were and are that the acoustics make the building very loud and hard to talk to people across your table but we would still come back. The bathrooms are being renovated so the stylish out houses were just outside the restaurant. We'd go back!!!!Special Features:
- All about the food...Carmines91stDined on 8/21/2014If you are looking for true Italian food, go to Carmine's.Special Features:
- Not HappyBill43Dined on 8/21/2014The heavy set bartender needs an attitude adjustment. The waitstaff is impersonal. Large portions. Asked to have something reheated required waitress to check with chef then come back to say they didn't recommend it. Sent it back anyway. Won't be returning.
- great family style diningsands13Dined on 8/20/2014Backup choice when 44th street location is booked. $15 cab ride gets you in a wonderful neighborhood. When its not tourist season, the noise level and atmosphere is lower key. Great food and extremely large portions. Consider the day's special.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian Upper West sidePaulPogiDined on 8/20/2014Had the pleasure of dining at Carmine's. It was recommended to me by a friend and it lived up to her suggestion and reputation. Family style plates and pricing. There were three of us. My wife, daughter and me. We had the Carmine salad, bearly finished it. Two entrees, the pasta special with all the seafood delights and chicken marsalla. The food was fantastic. If we lived nearby we would have had plenty to take home for left overs. Being from Boston and staying in a hotel, it was not an option. Make sure you make reservations well in advance.Special Features:
- Great service with IsabelleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014We have the chance to go to NYC twice a year and I must say it's the first time we are so well taking care of. WOOOOOW what a great service experience with Isabelle !!! thank you for making our experience such a memorable one. The food is absolutly wonderful but with Isabelle's touch, the experience was an outstanding one to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeISSY55Dined on 8/17/2014As always it was great , friendly , great waitstaff . I like the fact that I received a call to confirm after a placed a reservation on "open table "Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodMikeVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had a great time at Carmine's. Amazing Chicken Scarpiello wings as an appetizer. The Penne w/Vodka sauce was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always....craigsreviewDined on 8/16/2014This not being the first time to Carmines, though we've always visited the Times Square location, the uptown location was just as excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, as usual!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/15/2014I have been to Carmine's several times and I am never disappointed! The hosts and waitstaff are very courteous and attentive and the food is always on point. I've tried the Shrimp Scampi, Penne alla Vodka, Chicken Saltimbocca, Chicken Marsala, Rigatoni with Sausage and Broccoli (with marinara sauce), Ravioli (with meat sauce), and the meatballs. I have loved every dish! It's a great place for groups. Two of my best friends got married last week and I took them to Carmine's to celebrate. They couldn't stop raving about the food and the great prices for the amount of food you get! Carmine's is truly a neighborhood gem! Can't get enough of this place.Special Features:
- Great for groups and bdays!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014I love to go to Carmines for my annual birthday celebration. Being that I'm in my mid twenties and have a lot of friends, its easy to get a group of 10 people at one table and order all different types of large family-style plates. I would say people's biggest complaints about Carmines is that you don't get much variety if you go with a small group of people. But I wouldn't really consider that a fair review since that is what Carmines is known for and what makes it unique. It won't be the BEST Italian food you've ever had, especially being in NYC, but it really is delicious and consistent and you won't be disappointed. My favorites are the penne vodka, chicken parm, meatballs and spaghetti, and the titanic (dessert)! Bon Appetite!Special Features:
- loved everything at Carmine'sLimaloDined on 8/14/2014We had the veal parmigian which was excellent. Tender and tasty but must of it so affordable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five star nitetschmidt2020Dined on 8/13/2014Carmine's delivered a very good dining experience. The food was delicious and of course plentiful. We had three entree's for seven people and still took home food. The calamari app was to die for. The entree's were: Veal shank, meatballs, and shrimp all were very good. Recommend Carmine's to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was very happy !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Went there with family from CA who had heard of the place. They loved the food, the value and the service. They were extremely pleased. I go somewhat often and am always very happy with it.Special Features:
- Great food. Great servicegabgabDined on 8/12/2014Carmines has become one of my favorite restaurants since my first time dining there. The ambiance is relaxing with a homey and relaxing feel to it. The food, especially the shrimp scampi is perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection. The portions are for up to four people, so if not dining with more than three, theres a guarantee you will be taking some to go.The waiters are always friendly and attentive. Love love love carminesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmine 91OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/11/2014Can't go wrong with this place been coming here for 10+ yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysSukiDined on 8/11/2014Monday night chicken special is a treat. We only added another vegetable and were well satisfied. The cutlets were perfect in the lemon sauce. Each time we have it we enjoy it more. Definitely a go to dinner item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always on top of their gameMacd703Dined on 8/11/2014A staple of Manhattan - one not to be missed. Like family there -Special Features:
- binkman3Dined on 8/11/2014It's always a treat to eat at Carmine's. The food is great and enormous, the waiters are super friendly, and the space is unpretentious and inviting. This restaurant is a reliably welcome staple in a city that is constantly changing.Special Features:
- Delicious!!SlovaaaaaDined on 8/10/2014Couldn't have ask for a better place for moms dinner, she loves every thing about the food and how they were so friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.