Carmen Anthony Steakhouse of New Haven
660 State Street
New Haven, CT 06511Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Carmen Anthony Steakhouse of New Haven
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carmenanthony.com/
- Phone: (203) 773-1444
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm,
DINNER: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Walid Gad
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our City Room seats up to 50 guests, our State Room holds up to 60 guests, and our Chef's Room has a capacity for up to 30 guests. You can reserve the State Room and Chef's Room for a large party that can hold up to 100 people. We have full audio and visual needs on premise.
- Private Party Contact: Scott Scalabrino 2037731444x
- Entertainment: You asked us to bring back the bar menu, and we listened! Now, back by popular demand, and better than ever, we give you the best bar menus in the state of CT! Available all day, every day, so it's always the perfect time to join us at the bar.
Our new 6.6.6 Happy Hour ain't your grandma's happy hour. This one is meant for the "little devil" in all of us, with WICKED GOOD food and drink specials, Monday-Friday from 3:30pm to 6pm. Excited to try our devilish delights? Come join us today!
- Special Events: Join us for our new 6.6.6 Happy Hour for the "little devil" in all of us, with WICKED GOOD food and drink specials, Monday-Friday from 3:30pm to 6pm.
Sundays & Mondays are for wine lovers! Your favorite bottles of wine up to $150 are 50% off and any bottles over $150 are 25% off.
- Cross Street: Audubon
- Public Transit: We are within a 5 minute ride from Union Train Station in New Haven, CT. Go north on State Street for 9 blocks, we will be on the left at the corner of State Street and Audubon Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street Parking and Parking Garage. Valet parking is available Friday and Saturday nights.
A word from Carmen Anthony Steakhouse of New Haven
Our 3rd restaurant, and our 2nd steakhouse, has become one of New Haven's most popular restaurants. Conveniently located at 660 State Street at Audubon, off the State Street exit from I-91. We offer the state's best Prime Rib, thick Angus steaks and chops, fresh seafood, live Maine lobsters up to five pounds, and an award winning wine list. Occupying the first floor of the prestigious One Audubon Building, the handsome bar looks out at this newly renovated business neighborhood through a floor-to-ceiling concave window. Carmen Anthony Steakhouse of New Haven offers outstanding coffee and espresso service, our luscious homemade desserts, and a full selection of Grappa, Scotch, Bourbon and Cognac. Year after year, all Carmen Anthony wine lists are awarded the prestigious "Award of Excellence" by Wine Spectator Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carmen Anthony Steakhouse of New Haven reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)romantic (27)notable wine list (18)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- An Old-Fashion Steakhouse AtmosphereBobbyDDined on 11/8/2014Nothing beats an old-fashion steakhouse environment. The shrimp cocktail was outstanding and the rib eye perfectly cooked. The service was spot-on, attentive but not pushy. All good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOandGODined on 11/7/2014The staff was great, food excellent. Music was very loud but when asked to lower it, they immediately did so. We went during restaurant week and price was very reasonable. The regular menu appeared to be very pricey. Wine was mediocre, but more options were available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the Greatest in New HavenLloyd270Dined on 11/5/2014Carmen Anthony's is still our favorite place for that special occasion. This was a lunch as part of Taste of New Haven, but the food was still very much up to their high standards. The service was friendly, efficient, and unobtrusive. Their wine list is absolutely fantastic. This was a three course lunch for $18.00, which would have been worth double that anytime.Special Features:
- Excellent but expensivesshelleyDined on 10/31/2014I had not been here for while, and was pleasantly reminded of the quality of the food and the service. I must admit I was slightly taken aback by the prices, with many of the entrees over $40 (and some of those had no sides). That being said, everything was impeccably prepared and served. I would dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFromoutoftown1Dined on 10/30/2014My wife and I really enjoyed the experience and will come back if we are in the area again. The steak was just to die for and the lobster tail was excellent!Special Features:
- Great as usualMikeDined on 10/25/2014They make you feel welcome. The staff is always great. The food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Great for company2AlexizMomzDined on 10/19/2014Had dinner with friends and everything was as if I had planned the perfect dinner party and got to enjoy it myself without the cooking and cleaning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatJeanetteVIPDined on 10/18/2014Had high hopes for this place given that their website boasts the 'best steak in ct" - but was rather disappointed. Certainly not the best steak I've had in CT. The restaurant decor is very outdated and run down looking. Looks like the carpet has been there since 1975. The space itself is in need of some serious renovations - even the tables and chairs are very old and outdated. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't outstanding. Definitely not worth the 45 minute drive to get there. Free valet is a nice touch but you need to have more than one person working the valet stand. We waited nearly 10 minutes when we arrived for the valet to show up and take our car. Luckily we got there first on the way out, as there was quite a line building up
- great date nightporgymanDined on 10/16/2014went for restaurant week on a date night had a great special appetizer the restaurant week menu had some of our favorites on it that's why we went everything was very good I had prime rib my wife had the salmon all was cooked perfectly and tasted great will return have eaten here for restaurant week lunch and regular menu and have never been disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meheats99Dined on 10/15/2014If you've never eaten at a great steakhouse, you might mistake Carmen Anthony for one. Not one original idea on the Restaurant Week prix fixe menu we ate off. And the mid-meal headache suggested that they put MSG in their food. I won't be back.
- Awesome as usual!RIGuyDined on 10/4/2014Awesome as usual! Service! Food! Quality! Excellent Steakhouse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak!ChrisMDined on 9/26/2014If you want steak, CA is the place to go. Good wine selection, great sides, but it is the beef that that stands out. Special cut NY strip just melts in your mouth!Special Features:
- Special Dinner at Carmen AnthonyNewdiningDined on 9/13/2014We have dinner at Carmen Anthony, both in New Haven and in Waterbury, several times a year. The service is always great, the food always good, and the atmosphere in both locations is a joy. We always look forward to our dinners at Carmen Anthony.Special Features:
- Ladies night is a great valueTrish38Dined on 9/9/2014We went to Carmen Anthony's for Ladies night this past week, and it is a great value, with some delectable items on the prix fixe menu. We often go there for special occasions, but it is pricy and therefore, not a weekly venue. Food is always excellent and service as well. It is among our top three favorites, and we will return as often as possible.Special Features:
- Superb as alwaysSirEatsALotDined on 8/18/2014The staff is excellent, the filet mignon is delicious, and wine bottles are 1/2 off Sunday and Monday. Don't forget to leave room for dessert--I recommend the deep fried cheesecake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little UnderwhelmedMeatLoverDined on 8/16/2014A very nice piece of meat -- great steak cooked perfectly. Beyond that, however, I was underwhelmed. The meat was adorned with some soggy fried (battered) onions, which were unnecessary and detracted from the steak. The place was more dated (ala 1970's) than I expected, and casual. Overall, good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was an off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We go here pretty often for special occasions and we will continue to do so. Unfortunately, this last experience was nothing like all the others. Part of this was not their fault. The table next to us was so loud and obnoxious and talking about all the other patrons. It was really distracting and made me self conscious. They were very rude to the waiter as well. I just feel like something should have been said. The Mac and cheese and mushrooms were amazing, however, the prime rib was not what it usually is. It was very tough and just not as flavorful and it was cold. It was more like a hunk of roast beef. The service was a little slow but it was due to the demanding table next to us. They were under staffed for a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor acousticsGoodfooddesiredDined on 8/13/2014You are immediately overwhelmed by the noise level as soon as you are seated. Everyone seems to be talking loudly in order to be heard. Even our waiter screamed the specials at us, acknowledging that it was hard to hear. It was extremely frustrating to have a conversation. We actually thought about leaving, but we were using a gift card and didn't want it to go to waste. The waiter left the unused wine glasses at each place setting, which left no room the bread dish or sides with the main course. This resulting in a water glass getting knocked over! We ordered our filet steaks medium and they arrived raw and had to be sent back. The best thing about the meal was the company! We will never return to Carmen Anthony's in new haven.
- Good Food, Terrible ServiceUnhappyRegularDined on 8/2/2014The food was good, but the service was non-existent. The waitress forgot our salads, which were included with the entrees. When you charge $38 for a steak and $8 for a baked potato and the dinner comes with a salad, you probably shouldn't forget to serve it... The waitress never came back to the table, so she didn't even know this occurred. We asked the guy who delivered the steaks and he stated he would look into it, but no one returned. My girlfriend wanted her steak cooked a little more, but again, when no one came back to ask "how is your dinner?" this never happened. The restaurant didn't even make an effort to compensate us for the missing salads, like offering a free cordial or even an apology. And they weren't even that busy.
- The following 664 reviews are from the Carmen Anthony Steakhouse of New Haven reviews archive.
- Fish talesDrLarryVIPDined on 7/25/2014A steak restaurant where the seafood excels! Add a lobster tail, in season, to a steak for a great land and sea experience. My NY Strip was a little tough and the seafood stuffing is heavy on the bread and light on the seafood. Because it's summer an Yale is out, the place is very quiet at this time of year...perfect to have your wait staff (and the chef's) undivided attention! Desserts are made in house by their pastry chef. The flourless chocolate torte is devine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As promisedShortstop62Dined on 7/10/2014I heard lots of excellent things and the restaurant delivered as promised. Food was outstanding. Service was on top of their game. Steak was one of the most tender I have ever had. Love the way they serve their wine as well. A lot of little things that made them stand out as a top notch restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great anniversary spotmikeymikeDined on 7/7/2014Took my girlfriend out for our one year anniversary and had a great time with amazing food with exceptional service. Only issue was the party of 2 seated next to us in a pretty much empty restaurant that talked at a very annoying noise level. Other then that great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serverteddieDined on 7/5/2014we could not understand the food server because she talked to fast and did not enunciate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSullyVIPDined on 6/8/2014Overall a great experience, one you would anticipate at such a well known restaurant. We went on a late Sunday night for our anniversary and our waitress was great, very nice and courteous. I will say she was stretched way too thin being the only waitress working the dining room. As always the food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Always a treatCathyDined on 6/8/2014Celebrating another family birthday where the staff welcomes you and makes you feel special. Apps are great and a cut of steak for every pallet. Cooked to perfection. Staff friendly and very attentive. Worth the price.Special Features:
- The best filet mignonTRdiningoutDined on 6/7/2014The best filet mignon and the best service. a wonderful evening and great food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Expensive to Be Just "Good"CoolgirlleeleeDined on 6/7/2014Service was mostly good. I had filet w/ lobster topping & crab legs for $69.99. Server didn't include prices when announcing the specials, so we had to keep asking. I actually had to spitt the lobster topping. Most of it was the red, rubbery part of the claw, and tasted like a mouthful of oily ocean water. The filet was delicious. The King crab legs were tasty. The "melted butter" was a combo of butter and oil, which I didn't like. My husband steak w/ crab on top, which was great, except the crab on top was tossed with the same gross sauce as my lobster. When I told the waitress about the topping, she simply walked away without question or offer to do anything about it. Delish Key lime pie. Good, but NOT good enough for the price.
- Anniversary DinnerLloyd270Dined on 5/25/2014As usual the service was impeccable. We were greeted by the manager and seated immediately at table 1, our favorite table. A few minutes later our waitress arrived with 2 glasses of champagne to celebrate our anniversary. We purposely made reservations for a Sunday evening when wine was half-priced for bottles less that $150.00. Our steaks were cooked to perfection and we were not rushed to finish. We spent the better part of 2 hours enjoying our meal with the service very attentive, but not over bearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse needs to improve steaksout2lunchDined on 5/23/2014We've been to CAs many times in the past and had good experiences. Unfortunately this time was an exception. One of our party ordered the New York strip special, medium. It arrived very rare. When it was sent back, it returned no where near medium, still rare, not very warm and with an odd grayish tint. In fact, it didn't even look like it touched the grill. Microwaved? The rest of our food was very good but for a restaurant to have 'steakhouse' in the name, the steaks should be consistently outstanding. Noise level was very high, mostly due to the rambunctious table next to us which is not the fault of the restaurant. On the plus side, our server was outstanding.
- grad celebrationfoodiebirdDined on 5/18/2014the waiters were very attentive and gave us great tips on the appetizer choices for a big tableSpecial Features:
- WonderfulDonnaDined on 5/18/2014Carmen Anthony Steakhouse was a pleasant surprise. As a party of 10, celebrating graduations, the place was very comfortable. We enjoyed the food, the atmosphere and terrific service. Couldn't have asked for anything more! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Atmosphere Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/18/2014We had a wonderful lunch after our daughter's graduation in town. The experience, the food and the wine were all fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation LuncheonbearhillboxfordDined on 5/18/2014Everything was perfect. Reservation was accurate, seated immediately, server attentive but not overbearing - food was incredible. Limited menu made it a little less than perfect as we had all read the menu online, however, every single plate was clean - no complaints. Our server brought complementary champagne for our table -- the table was a comfortable booth so everyone could spread out. Each dinner was cooked perfectly and delicious. Overall a perfect experience and I would go out of my way to go there if in the area again. Thank you!Special Features:
- Fantastic Service and MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014My family had a really lovely dinner at Carmen Anthony's the night before graduation. The food was delicious - we opted for lobster, steak and the salmon. The lobster was definitely worth it. But, above all the service was incredible. We had a very funny, attentive waitress who went above and beyond to ensure our dining experience was as good as it could possibly be. Overall, I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodCTvisitorDined on 5/17/2014We went to the steakhouse for my nephew's graduation. They gave us a nice table, with graduation specific menus. Our server was great, and the food was good. Overall a very nice experience, would recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fav!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2014Carmen Anthony's is always a favorite for my husband and I. We know we are going to get a great meal when we come here and on our last visit, we were not disappointed.Special Features:
- fine serviceSoxFanaticDined on 5/14/2014On a slow Wednesday night Christina gave us ample attention but not too much. She never hovered over us and we did not feel at all pressured to order quickly or to leave quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Mother's Day GiftNikki223Dined on 5/11/2014Steak was perfect! Appetizers perfect and my in-law devoured her stuffed shrimp. Three of us shared the chocolate bread pudding which was huge and a perfect ending to a great meal in a great setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too stuffy!JohnnyODined on 5/10/2014I mean this in a good way! The food was wonderful and they had plenty for the kids.. Even though I wouldn't consider this a place to bring kids, but we needed dinner and it was the only reservations available.. How lucky we were to find it! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Time!LoveFood13Dined on 5/2/2014Took my boyfriend there for his birthday and we had an amazing time! The food was phenomenal (great tasting and great portions). The service was great and the drinks were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.