Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin
504 E 5th Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carmelosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (512) 477-7497
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Margarito Machado
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering to your home for 10-500 guests. We will set up, provide service if required and leave your house or facility as we found it. One of our managers, Luis or Eddie will be happy to assist in the planning your event.
- Entertainment: Accordionist playing Italian and other tunes. Will take requests.
- Special Events: We specialize in rehearsal dinners, weddings and receptions. Our private dining rooms are perfect for all celebrations, luncheons and meetings
A word from Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin
Carmelo’s Ristorante Italiano, Austin, is located in the historical "Old Depot Hotel" downtown across from the Hilton. Open since 1985, Carmelo's, was recently awarded the Seal of "Ospitalita Italiana" from the Italian Government for our use of authentic Italian products and the preparation of genuine Italian cuisine. We have created a menu that is not only carefully thought out and authentically Italian, but also one that uses the finest quality beef, veal and poultry and the freshest of seafood, and when available local produce. With an extensive wine list and options ranging from an award winning Risotto with Truffles, a tableside cooked Steak Diane and gluten free, vegetarian and vegan fare it is our aim that everyone will be satisfied. Our delectable desserts include homemade specialties such as Tiramisu and Millefoglie. Come on by and experience a little bit of Italy tucked away in downtown Austin! We are also in Houston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (64)special occasion (58)notable wine list (33)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (33)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent wine pairing dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We had a wonderful time at the Batasiolo wine pairing dinner. Amazing food and attentive service. We plan to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Downtown Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014I choose to spend my 1 year anniversary with Carmelo's and was not let down at all! The staff was very attentive and helpful. Our server Shawn was polite, knowledge and most importantly non existent (HAHA) He was able to provide excellent service without interrupting our conversations. The food is not cheap, but it is not overly priced for the quality and taste you will receive. I was very happy with our selection, time spent and overall level of service. Sunday nights are the way to go, it was like we had the place to ourselves. The only con I would say if your a big Pinot Noir snob (like i pretend to be) they do have a very limited selection. Aside from that the pricing and list is definitely acceptable and provides a variety of tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thank you for everything you are my favoritejoeyg37Dined on 11/15/2014the food is outstanding best chef in autin see you guys soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Italian fine diningFoodiegirl81Dined on 11/15/2014I came here with my best girlfriend in a rainy Saturday night. We were a little late for our reservation because their parking lot was full and we had to find parking elsewhere, but they honored our reservation from open table. Our waiter was incredibly attentive, the food was out of this world delicious and the ambiance is perfect for being with the one you love. We are still talking about our experience there days after the fact!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulmeatguyDined on 11/15/2014We had not been to Carmelo's for at least 10 years. We went very recently for a special family occasion and the entire evening was simply wonderful. The ambiance, the servers, the accordion player, the management, were outstanding and very attentive. We had a 79 year old and I'm in a wheelchair and the access is very good. The only caveat is parking and I recommend you get there early. The manager saw us pull up and told me not to worry about paying for parking. I'm not sure it was because of accessible parking or if you don't have to pay if you eat there. But since we came to enjoy a very special night and not for the parking, the entire 2.5 hours we were there was outstanding. It is back on our radar and we will visit again very soon. An Austin gem for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/12/2014Carmelo's is very classic, but not dated. We wanted a great place to celebrate some good news, so we picked Carmelo's because we heard it was classic Italian food, and a great atmosphere. As soon as we stepped into the front doors, we felt like we were transported to an old East Coast Italian restaurant in the 70's or 80's, and it felt like home. The food, service and wine list were absolutely outstanding. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A charming Italian place123delishVIPDined on 11/11/2014Carmelo's was a very charming Italian restaurant. It was very traditional Italian as far as décor. Very comfortable. An accordion player played during the evening. The menu had many different choices. Lots of appetizers, various salads, many pasta dishes as well as other entrees. The dessert variety was excellent.Special Features:
- A Great Birthday TreatbarbandbillDined on 11/8/2014We went to Carmelo's for my wife's birthday and everything was perfect. After champagne, a nice wine, and a great meal they brought us a piece of cheese cake with a candle on a beautifully decorated plate. Couldn't ask for a better birthday experience.Special Features:
- ExcellentEdgeDined on 11/8/2014The food and service are excellent. This is our second time there and it will be on our list again when we get to Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved the place!PrincipiDined on 11/7/2014got there early, went to the bar for a drink...no chairs at the bar?? drink service was kinda slow. Everything after that was wonderful! Waiter was very knowedgable about the building's history. very attentive. The tableside steak was to die for.....bravo!! we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Old World ItaliangarysVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had put off dining here because of the reviews on Yelp. We were pleased we finally took the plunge it was a very nice restaurant and served some of the old world Italian dishes we had been wanting. The service was very attentive and the food was very good. Now that we have discovered it we will be going back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMQ51Dined on 11/1/2014Our experience was great, as always, we discover Carmelo’s during the early 80s, and they cuisine has been great since then, their wine list is good, but overall the care for the wines is very good, so you will enjoy every drop of your wine.Special Features:
- Austin SurprisefunfamilydiningDined on 10/25/2014What a surprise in Austin to have a very quiet restaurant! We celebrated the upcoming marriage of our son and this was a great place. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. We picked this place from an ad in a book about Austin at the hotel. We figured what could we loose with Italian food. This turned out to be a fantastic find. The fact that it is in a historic building is even better! We had a party of ten and they made reservations which was hard to find in Austin!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We come for special occasions. Too expensive for regular eating out. But food is worth it....always tasty and beautifully prepared.Special Features:
- 20 years later it is still greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014I first went here for my now wife's 18 birthday 20 years ago. We were young and probably not the best judge of a good place to eat. However I took my wife back for her birthday and it truly was excellent. We had great service, wine, and the food was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still cant forget...!RobyneDined on 10/19/2014I was specifically looking for an Italian restaurant, but know nothing about the city of Austin. Op en Door led me to this Historic gem, which had the right ambiance for a quiet meal. From the start, the service was impeccable; my every need was met by professional and courteous wait staff. But it was the food - outstanding. The capellini with prawns in a black truffle cream sauce - I can still taste every bite! Expensive? yes. But worth every penny. Forget ribs and steak - If I'm back in Austin again, I know where to go.Special Features:
- Great italianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We had a great dining experience at Carmelo's. The food was delicious with a variety of choices and the staff did a great job. We were able to relax and enjoy our dinner. We would definitely eat there again when we are in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated birthday here with kids.Austindiner4Dined on 10/4/2014We had dinner here for my son's 15th birthday and were very impressed by the attentive staff. The food was excellent also. At the end of the meal the dessert chef sent out a cheesecake with balloons and Happy Birthday written in chocolate sauce that was very well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeAwedDined on 10/4/2014I choose Carmelo's based off a Google sesrch. So glad we went, the service and food were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fewer and fewer of these gemsATXRJMDined on 10/3/2014Our evening dinner with family was great as always. Not too noisy, personable waiters, and a traditional Italian setting all located close to downtown in a historic old building. And with their own parking (we were there during ACL). Table side Carbonara is the best out there. My chicken parm was generous and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ho HumKathyVIPDined on 9/30/2014A lunch time meal. The lunch menu offered a cold asparagus soup, however when requested it was not available. At such a fine dining establishment the waiter should have mentioned this when pointing out the lunch menu. I took a meal togo, there was not any cups to carry a beverage out. The service was slow for only having three tables at the time and considering I ordered soup and a caprese salad. The mozzarella looked and tasted old. The minestrone soup was all vegetables and a few, as in 3, pieces of macaroni. The sorbet was good. Such a beautiful place, with parking however, it was not exactly what you would expect for the pricing, should have been much better.
- Excellent Italian RestaurantSkeletoncrewDined on 9/28/2014The best Italian restaurant in Austin. Perfect location and the food is as good as eating in a restaurant in Italy. Awesome place to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food; attentive servicefoodloverDined on 9/20/2014The food was awesome! We had lasagna with a small side of veggies and crab-stuffed shrimp on a bed of risotto. Great flavor & temperature and good serving size without being too much... we still took some lasagna home, though! :-) We also had a delicious bottle of Duckhorn Cab! Carmelo's has a great courtyard to hang out. I forgot to ask if they offer dining outside... that would have been very pleasant as we had good weather that night. Overall, a WONDERFUL evening!Special Features:
- Austin FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Carmelo's is a regular stop for us in Austin. The food is always good, the service friendly and attentive and the atmosphere is lively. Bananas Foster tableside is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmelo's ? Exceptional Dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Carmelo's is one of the few restaurants in the Austin area one can count on. We have dined several times and have never, ever been disappointed in the food, service and ambience. Always look forward to taking guests from out of town! Thank you for a delightful evening. PaigeSpecial Features:
- Exceptional service, so-so foodCPTXVIPDined on 9/5/2014We chose this restaurant after reading many of the other reviews. All I can say is that the top food reviews must have been written by non-Italians whose appreciation for Italian cuisine was developed at Olive Garden and similar venues. On a Friday night the full dining room had fewer than a dozen people under age 60; the food was nothing beyond average. The service was, however, very attentive.Special Features:
- Don WilliamsDWIIDined on 9/4/2014A very nice venue .... very good on all points .... a very nice evening with out of town family guest from the Woodlands.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner.SteveDined on 8/30/2014My wife chose this restaurant for her birthday dinner and she couldn't have made a better choice. The ambiance, the food, the wine and the service were excellent and this has to be one of our favorite restaurants in Austin, Texas. They even surprised my wife with a beautiful slice of cheesecake with a candle and elaborately decorated "Happy birthday". The waiter offer to sing for us but we politely declined that offer!!Special Features:
- Not just for special occasions...luv2travelDined on 8/30/2014In the past 17 yrs, Carmelo's has been our special occasion destination when we were in Austin. Now we live here, it's our go-to-place for a stupendous menu and we are introducing friends to Carmelo's. The food, service & atmosphere never disappoints. The Chef's entrees are delectable. I'm sorry, we don't drink so I am unable to comment on bar experience & the well rounded wine list. I'm sure they have something for everyone. Our dessert treat is prepared table side - Banana's Foster. Only the Four Seasons dining is equal to a Carmelo's experience. In our humble opinion, Carmelo's is one of the best Italian restaurants in the Hill Country for any event from two to a banquet.Special Features:
- Good food but very priceyMikeVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food is good and the service was excellent. I found the food to be very pricey though. I had the eggplant parm and for $18 you get 4 small slices of eggplant and literally two small spoonful rolls of spaghetti. Good food and service as I mentioned, but I would not dine again and would seek less expensive options the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmoreCaliGirlVIPDined on 8/25/2014Wonderful Italian food. One of our guests ordered the pasta with truffles! I had to sample it and was so glad I did. It was amazing! I had chicken piccada - which was not on the menu, but they did a nice try, but wasn't really up to par.. Sorry John. But the salads and dessert were fAbulous and our waiter John was very personable and attentive.. They would retold the napkins any time someone got up! Very nice touch. Very nice place and lovely decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Italy in AustinJupieVIPDined on 8/25/2014Food was excellent as was the service. Had to wait a bit in between salad & entrée but was updated during the process. One of the better eggplant parm's I've had (outside of Italy).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and Service!HungryInAustinDined on 8/23/2014Have been to Carmello's several times and I am always impressed with the fast, attentive, and polite service, the ambience, the live music (guy playing accordion), and the food! Of course, you get what you pay for, so don't expect a McDonald's size bill when you are done. Carmello's is my #1 choice for romantic dinner for two or entertaining a group of clients that I care about. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Our favorite Italian RestaurantJgdulaDined on 8/16/2014We have been celebrating special occasions at Carmelo's for approximately 30 years. Luis and his staff take great care of us every time we visit. The escargot appetizer and the bananas foster dessert go well with any entrees, although we usually have veal marsala or veal picatta. You can't beat the service, the ambiance and the food at Carmelo's.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureskibbytidoodahDined on 8/14/2014I've been to Carmelo's for lunch, dinner, group events, and special occasions, and it is always a pleasure. The menu has something for everyone, and everything I've eaten there has been delicious. The service is second to none. The accordionist playing in the main dining room in the evening really adds to the ambiance, and I love the historic building and welcoming courtyard. (Plus, parking is super convenient!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellDined on 8/8/2014It is a lovely restaraunt, and we had been there before, but this time, the food wasn't so great. I had the eggplant parm. And I thought it was over fried, the pieces were so small an thin that you tasted the breading and not the eggplant. My salad wasn't particularly flavorful either. My husband ordered the Marsala, and again, it wasn't very flavorful-he actually sent his back. They gave him another entree, which was good,but then we were late to our event. My boys ordered seafood pasta dishes which they liked a lot. The servers were very polite and courteous, and the restaurant is beautifulSpecial Features:
- BandManDined on 8/6/2014Our first date was at Carmello's and we returned there recently to celebrate our one year anniversary. It is a little-known Austin gem that features excellent food in a romantically serene setting. Everything was perfect, from the mouthwatering menu to the excellent service to the beautiful ambience. The accordion player offers appropriately beautiful music, and even the valet service is first rate. This is officially OUR place and I recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet getaway restaurant in an affectionately romantic setting. Amore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Outstanding. Our first time. Many more to come. Food was flawless.Special Features:
- Amazing food,not so amazing servicetryingnewthingsDined on 8/2/2014A group of us went for my birthday dinner here and the food was amazing. I had been here once before just as a couple so I knew what to expect. Unfortunately the service wasnt as good as the food. Our waiter was very rude and you could tell that he didn't want to be there. This place is pretty expensive for the staff to act like the work at a small chain restaurant. By the end of the night our waiter had left and didn't tell the guy taking over that it was all separate, so we had to sit there and separate everyone's order because " we didn't tell them it was all seperate and it was too late to change it". Overall we had a great time, its just not a great place for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbeatable ServiceTexasTBoneVIPDined on 8/1/2014Our family has enjoyed Carmello's for years - it's an Italian restaurant with the most incredible wait staff around - attentive, kind, all smiles and delight. The food was delicious and the complimentary sausage appetizer was mouth-watering and we each longed for more. (Bread was used to soak up every last possible sauce on the plate!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 544 reviews are from the Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin reviews archive.