Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin
504 E 5th Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carmelosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5124777497x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Margarito Machado
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering to your home for 10-500 guests. We will set up, provide service if required and leave your house or facility as we found it. One of our managers, Luis or Eddie will be happy to assist in the planning your event.
- Entertainment: Accordionist playing Italian and other tunes. Will take requests.
- Special Events: We specialize in rehearsal dinners, weddings and receptions. Our private dining rooms are perfect for all celebrations and meetings
A word from Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin
Carmelo’s Ristorante Italiano, Austin, is located in the historical "Old Depot Hotel" downtown across from the Hilton. Open since 1985, Carmelo's, was recently awarded the Seal of "Ospitalita Italiana" from the Italian Government for our use of authentic Italian products and the preparation of genuine Italian cuisine. We have created a menu that is not only carefully thought out and authentically Italian, but also one that uses the finest quality beef, veal and poultry and the freshest of seafood, and when available local produce. With an extensive wine list and options ranging from an award winning Risotto with Truffles, a tableside cooked Steak Diane and gluten free, vegetarian and vegan fare it is our aim that everyone will be satisfied. Our delectable desserts include homemade specialties such as Tiramisu and Millefoglie. Come on by and experience a little bit of Italy tucked away in downtown Austin! We are also in Houston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (58)special occasion (51)notable wine list (32)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (28)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Still cant forget...!RobyneDined on 10/19/2014I was specifically looking for an Italian restaurant, but know nothing about the city of Austin. Op en Door led me to this Historic gem, which had the right ambiance for a quiet meal. From the start, the service was impeccable; my every need was met by professional and courteous wait staff. But it was the food - outstanding. The capellini with prawns in a black truffle cream sauce - I can still taste every bite! Expensive? yes. But worth every penny. Forget ribs and steak - If I'm back in Austin again, I know where to go.Special Features:
- Great italianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We had a great dining experience at Carmelo's. The food was delicious with a variety of choices and the staff did a great job. We were able to relax and enjoy our dinner. We would definitely eat there again when we are in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated birthday here with kids.Austindiner4Dined on 10/4/2014We had dinner here for my son's 15th birthday and were very impressed by the attentive staff. The food was excellent also. At the end of the meal the dessert chef sent out a cheesecake with balloons and Happy Birthday written in chocolate sauce that was very well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeAwedDined on 10/4/2014I choose Carmelo's based off a Google sesrch. So glad we went, the service and food were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fewer and fewer of these gemsATXRJMDined on 10/3/2014Our evening dinner with family was great as always. Not too noisy, personable waiters, and a traditional Italian setting all located close to downtown in a historic old building. And with their own parking (we were there during ACL). Table side Carbonara is the best out there. My chicken parm was generous and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ho HumKathyVIPDined on 9/30/2014A lunch time meal. The lunch menu offered a cold asparagus soup, however when requested it was not available. At such a fine dining establishment the waiter should have mentioned this when pointing out the lunch menu. I took a meal togo, there was not any cups to carry a beverage out. The service was slow for only having three tables at the time and considering I ordered soup and a caprese salad. The mozzarella looked and tasted old. The minestrone soup was all vegetables and a few, as in 3, pieces of macaroni. The sorbet was good. Such a beautiful place, with parking however, it was not exactly what you would expect for the pricing, should have been much better.
- Excellent Italian RestaurantSkeletoncrewDined on 9/28/2014The best Italian restaurant in Austin. Perfect location and the food is as good as eating in a restaurant in Italy. Awesome place to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food; attentive servicefoodloverDined on 9/20/2014The food was awesome! We had lasagna with a small side of veggies and crab-stuffed shrimp on a bed of risotto. Great flavor & temperature and good serving size without being too much... we still took some lasagna home, though! :-) We also had a delicious bottle of Duckhorn Cab! Carmelo's has a great courtyard to hang out. I forgot to ask if they offer dining outside... that would have been very pleasant as we had good weather that night. Overall, a WONDERFUL evening!Special Features:
- Austin FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Carmelo's is a regular stop for us in Austin. The food is always good, the service friendly and attentive and the atmosphere is lively. Bananas Foster tableside is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmelo's ? Exceptional Dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Carmelo's is one of the few restaurants in the Austin area one can count on. We have dined several times and have never, ever been disappointed in the food, service and ambience. Always look forward to taking guests from out of town! Thank you for a delightful evening. PaigeSpecial Features:
- Exceptional service, so-so foodCPTXVIPDined on 9/5/2014We chose this restaurant after reading many of the other reviews. All I can say is that the top food reviews must have been written by non-Italians whose appreciation for Italian cuisine was developed at Olive Garden and similar venues. On a Friday night the full dining room had fewer than a dozen people under age 60; the food was nothing beyond average. The service was, however, very attentive.Special Features:
- Don WilliamsDWIIDined on 9/4/2014A very nice venue .... very good on all points .... a very nice evening with out of town family guest from the Woodlands.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner.SteveDined on 8/30/2014My wife chose this restaurant for her birthday dinner and she couldn't have made a better choice. The ambiance, the food, the wine and the service were excellent and this has to be one of our favorite restaurants in Austin, Texas. They even surprised my wife with a beautiful slice of cheesecake with a candle and elaborately decorated "Happy birthday". The waiter offer to sing for us but we politely declined that offer!!Special Features:
- Not just for special occasions...luv2travelDined on 8/30/2014In the past 17 yrs, Carmelo's has been our special occasion destination when we were in Austin. Now we live here, it's our go-to-place for a stupendous menu and we are introducing friends to Carmelo's. The food, service & atmosphere never disappoints. The Chef's entrees are delectable. I'm sorry, we don't drink so I am unable to comment on bar experience & the well rounded wine list. I'm sure they have something for everyone. Our dessert treat is prepared table side - Banana's Foster. Only the Four Seasons dining is equal to a Carmelo's experience. In our humble opinion, Carmelo's is one of the best Italian restaurants in the Hill Country for any event from two to a banquet.Special Features:
- Good food but very priceyMikeVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food is good and the service was excellent. I found the food to be very pricey though. I had the eggplant parm and for $18 you get 4 small slices of eggplant and literally two small spoonful rolls of spaghetti. Good food and service as I mentioned, but I would not dine again and would seek less expensive options the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmoreCaliGirlVIPDined on 8/25/2014Wonderful Italian food. One of our guests ordered the pasta with truffles! I had to sample it and was so glad I did. It was amazing! I had chicken piccada - which was not on the menu, but they did a nice try, but wasn't really up to par.. Sorry John. But the salads and dessert were fAbulous and our waiter John was very personable and attentive.. They would retold the napkins any time someone got up! Very nice touch. Very nice place and lovely decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Italy in AustinJupieVIPDined on 8/25/2014Food was excellent as was the service. Had to wait a bit in between salad & entrée but was updated during the process. One of the better eggplant parm's I've had (outside of Italy).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and Service!HungryInAustinDined on 8/23/2014Have been to Carmello's several times and I am always impressed with the fast, attentive, and polite service, the ambience, the live music (guy playing accordion), and the food! Of course, you get what you pay for, so don't expect a McDonald's size bill when you are done. Carmello's is my #1 choice for romantic dinner for two or entertaining a group of clients that I care about. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Our favorite Italian RestaurantJgdulaDined on 8/16/2014We have been celebrating special occasions at Carmelo's for approximately 30 years. Luis and his staff take great care of us every time we visit. The escargot appetizer and the bananas foster dessert go well with any entrees, although we usually have veal marsala or veal picatta. You can't beat the service, the ambiance and the food at Carmelo's.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureskibbytidoodahDined on 8/14/2014I've been to Carmelo's for lunch, dinner, group events, and special occasions, and it is always a pleasure. The menu has something for everyone, and everything I've eaten there has been delicious. The service is second to none. The accordionist playing in the main dining room in the evening really adds to the ambiance, and I love the historic building and welcoming courtyard. (Plus, parking is super convenient!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellDined on 8/8/2014It is a lovely restaraunt, and we had been there before, but this time, the food wasn't so great. I had the eggplant parm. And I thought it was over fried, the pieces were so small an thin that you tasted the breading and not the eggplant. My salad wasn't particularly flavorful either. My husband ordered the Marsala, and again, it wasn't very flavorful-he actually sent his back. They gave him another entree, which was good,but then we were late to our event. My boys ordered seafood pasta dishes which they liked a lot. The servers were very polite and courteous, and the restaurant is beautifulSpecial Features:
- BandManDined on 8/6/2014Our first date was at Carmello's and we returned there recently to celebrate our one year anniversary. It is a little-known Austin gem that features excellent food in a romantically serene setting. Everything was perfect, from the mouthwatering menu to the excellent service to the beautiful ambience. The accordion player offers appropriately beautiful music, and even the valet service is first rate. This is officially OUR place and I recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet getaway restaurant in an affectionately romantic setting. Amore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Outstanding. Our first time. Many more to come. Food was flawless.Special Features:
- Amazing food,not so amazing servicetryingnewthingsDined on 8/2/2014A group of us went for my birthday dinner here and the food was amazing. I had been here once before just as a couple so I knew what to expect. Unfortunately the service wasnt as good as the food. Our waiter was very rude and you could tell that he didn't want to be there. This place is pretty expensive for the staff to act like the work at a small chain restaurant. By the end of the night our waiter had left and didn't tell the guy taking over that it was all separate, so we had to sit there and separate everyone's order because " we didn't tell them it was all seperate and it was too late to change it". Overall we had a great time, its just not a great place for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbeatable ServiceTexasTBoneVIPDined on 8/1/2014Our family has enjoyed Carmello's for years - it's an Italian restaurant with the most incredible wait staff around - attentive, kind, all smiles and delight. The food was delicious and the complimentary sausage appetizer was mouth-watering and we each longed for more. (Bread was used to soak up every last possible sauce on the plate!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatTruefoodieDined on 7/29/2014The service was wonderful. We felt like they went above and beyond to meet our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backBetty567VIPDined on 7/26/2014We were excited to be going to such a highly reviewed romantic restaurant and I must say certain things lived up to the hype; the food and ambiance for sure. I was however taken aback by the snobbish waiter who acted as though it was us who should be honored he was serving us. Constantly inturrupting our conversation and going on and on when the only person I wanted to listen to was my husband. He gave what could have been a lecture on the pinot nero when I ordered a pinot noir and just went on and on! If I wanted a lecture I would take a class!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration DinnerThomasDined on 7/26/2014Consistency. Carmelo's never fails. Excellent food, attentive but not bothersome wait staff. Great wine list, unfortunately did not have our first choice red or white wine, but 2nd choices were still very good wines. Only complaint was with the OpenTable Reservation system. Despite plenty of seating at 6pm, earliest I could make reservations was 6:30pm which made our dinner rushed to get out in time to see the show we had tickets for. If OpenTable doesn't have the you want, call the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian in AustinCal5150Dined on 7/26/2014Carmelo's was recommended to us as a place to go for a special occasion. It did not disappoint. Very good food and great service. I especially liked that they had two dishes, cooked tableside, that are rarely offered any more......Steak Diane and Bananas Foster. Definitely a place to consider if you are looking for good Italian food while in Austin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!!luv2dineVIPDined on 7/19/2014Our first visit to Carmelo's. We were going to Esther's Follies and this is sooo close. We had a party of 6. The service was outstanding. The food was some of the best I have ever eaten. I had the Osso Bucco. Man, this was better than homemade! The rest of the party were amazed by their food as well. We came back after the show and had coffee and dessert! The desserts were great too. What a find!! Highly recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very sad dinner. Will not return.SammieDined on 7/18/2014The mussels were gritty; the Fettucine Alfredo was dried pasty and tasteless. The Osdo Buco lacked distinction. Won't return-too many other good places in Austin.
- The TsbbttDined on 7/17/2014After years of going to Carmelo's we (our family) I think is has come to an end. Small portions, high prices, generally nothing special in the preparation or taste, a lot has changed. I think the effect of now having transient customers from the Convention Center has assured cash flow with non repeating customers, the standards have been lowered, disappointment prevails, time marches on, life changes. Memories of even a couple of years ago are unfulfilled, to bad.
- Could have been better...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2014We were initially very excited to try this restaurant. The service was great and the chef sent out a sausage sample which was fantastic. The Tara Salad was excellent, but the meal went down hill from there. My rigatoni plate was a small portion and served slightly warmed. My husband had the lasagna and he said it tasted like it was made the day before and reheated, just melting cheese on top and it was cool and mushy. Lastly I had the creme brûlée for dessert. The berries were fresh and tasty, but the custard was also not fresh and it was cottage cheesy and not smooth. All in all we might go back again but for the price we expected fresh food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After all these years!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/6/2014I hadn't been to Carmelo's for over 20 years. The food is still great, the service is wonderful and the atmosphere is calm and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snobby, SlimyTypeADined on 7/6/2014The waiter we had 7/6 was rude and snobbish, discouraging questions about the food, so that their 'signature' salad came dripping with dressing, more sauce than greens, actually slimy. Although the place was empty, they put someone at the next booth - and then moved their table, creating a shrieking squeal like a 747 taking off. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!
- Busy but deliciousDianaDined on 7/5/2014The staff weren't AS attentive as you'd maybe expect and I had to flag them down to finally get out check, but it's in part because this restaurant had a LOT of patrons + a private party going on and we were thee on a Saturday night of a holiday weekend. Service was good, but wasn't "wow" in any memorable way. The food, however, was delicious! We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Beautiful & romantic restaurantDLeeDined on 7/5/2014Had a great experience as first time patrons. We dined here for our engagement dinner before being picked up out front by a horse drawn carriage that I had arranged. The wait staff was very nice. The setting is very romantic with beautiful decor and the ambient lighting. I loved the accordionist who came to play by our table a few different times...it made the dinner so very romantic and memorable. The food was delicious and very well prepared, and the management went the extra mile by giving us a free glass of champagne at the end of our dinner to make the experience very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our special occasion placeljrrn2Dined on 7/5/2014Dining at Carmelo's is an eclectic, international experience. The activity level among the staff is very energetic and vibrant with very attentive staff. Not a minute goes by without someone wanting to make your dining experience perfect. From the greeting to the presenting of the dishes, everything is expeditious and efficient. It reminds us of European fine dining with all the decor and the accordian music topped of the perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food and service in downtownBBDinerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Carmelo's is right in the midst of downtown, a block away from the Convention Center. It resides within an architecturally interesting building that evokes being in a prior era, perfect for enjoying an authentic Italian meal. The staff are immaculately dressed and extremely courteous; they ensure that every detail is perfect and manage to fulfill every need without "hovering." And the food (while slightly more expensive than a casual lunch) is first rate. We enjoyed one of the daily specials--just the right amount, and prepared beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 530 reviews are from the Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano - Austin reviews archive.
- OutstandingOutstandingVIPDined on 6/26/2014The high quality of the food was matched by the high quality service. Excellent tastes and unique servings of Italian cuisine. Professional and amiable management! The historical story of the building adds nicely to the overall charm of this fine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.