Carmello's - Ottawa
300 Sparks St,
Ottawa, ON K1R7S3Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Carmello's - Ottawa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carmellos.ca/
- Phone: 6135634349
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Corporate and social catering to meet all your needs. Not just Italian cuisine but also North American and traditional. Custom designed menu's mostly used.
- Private Party Facilities: With our dining room being long and narrow we can accommodate private dining at one end in particular. This space is suitable for groups from 25 to 45 people. Custom menu's are usually prepared.
- Private Party Contact: John Payne 6135634349
A word from Carmello's - Ottawa
Wonderful contemporary Italian cuisine presented in a colorful Mediterranean atmosphere. Large summer patio for dining a la fresco. Affordable pricing for the most discriminating diner. Open lunch and dinner with friendly and knowledgeable staff. Centrally located near 12 great hotels to walk over from.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carmello's - Ottawa reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (24)great for lunch (21)great for outdoor dining (16)special occasion (15)fit for foodies (9)kid-friendly (9)neighborhood gem (8)romantic (6)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Average Italian RestaurantVillboDined on 8/3/2014We went to Carmello's on a Sunday Evening during the Buskers Festival in Ottawa. The reviews on Open Table were pretty good and we'd never been there so we figured we'd give it a shot. Even though the place was almost empty inside (outside was very busy) and we had a reservation, we were given a table along the eastern wall that overlooks a dark parking garage with a bunch of construction equipment in it. Not really nice to look at. The waitress was very friendly but the service was painfully slow and the food very average.
- Food not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Too much garlic and oil in pasta dishes. Could taste the garlic the whole next day.Special Features:
- pretty good8505Dined on 7/27/2014Food was good, server was good. They were out of the wine we wanted. We went Sunday night and it was very quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ottawa on a Monday night !LikesSmilingDined on 7/21/2014Nothing happening in that city on a Monday night so we had no idea we were going to have the best meal of our vacation ! Great staff, yummy food, friendly atmosphere and great central location. You can't beat it in Ottawa. We will return for sure !Special Features:
- Tasty food, nice selectionShmoeDined on 7/9/2014My family of 6 really enjoyed our experience last night at Carmello's. The service was very good and the food was delicious. I cannot say anything negative about our experience. Between us we had various appetizers, steak and pizza, and delicious creme brulee with a lovely crispy exterior. Everything was scrumptious. I would strongly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Free ParkingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The food was the best part of the experience... Had a really good soup... calamari was prepared a bit differently than usual (no breading)... which was very good but the order was lost in the salad that accompanied it... so it didn't seem like you really had very much calamari served to you and if you didn't want to eat all the salad... it was hard to find all the calamari. I was very disappointed that there was no free parking. This is one of the reasons I chose this restaurant and it is clearly stated on the website that there is free parking. When you call about parking... they refer you to a nearby hotel ($20+ charge) and note that it is at your own expense and that parking is available not free!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Great atmosphere. They were busy because of the ribfest but the service was incredibleSpecial Features:
- Ok...DiningwHenriVIPDined on 6/20/2014While visiting Ottawa over the weekend, we found Carmello's through Opentable. Ribfest was taking place and part of it was along the pedestrian-only street that Carmello's patio is set against. Our waitress was nice but distracted - it took a long time to get water but our drinks came fast. Food was another story - not only did it take too long but the pizza was half cold & my pesto pasta was swimming in nothing but oil. Another pasta was overcooked (not al dente) & chicken was dry. Servers were definitely more interested in serving people on the patio close to the Ribfest action & the cooks were not interested in how they cooked their food. Not impressed with this restaurant.Special Features:
- romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014I love the reservation app. Very easy to use. Carmellos was awesome and would recommend it to everyone. The food was amazing.Special Features:
- jasonDined on 6/20/2014Decent fungi pasta but not great - slightly gelatenous. Glass of red houswine was poor. Service friendly and helpful. Nice menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jimmyDined on 6/17/2014Both the food and the service were excellent. will recommend to all my friendsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/17/2014I visit Carmello's frequently and find it to be consistently great food, great service and reasonable prices. The outdoor patio is large and is on a pedestrian walkway, rather than a street. Very nice restaurant and one of our downtown favourites.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceNaddousheDined on 6/14/2014Food and service was great, portions were very big (appetizers). Dessert was ok but i've had better at Carmello's. We had a table in the far corner although we had made reservations a few days in advance, other than that, pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Ok at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Went on a Saturday night, got served a flat pepsi, uncooked shrimps, items missing on desserts menu, service was ok, would not go back
- A pleasant re-introductionMidNiteChoirDined on 6/12/2014I hadn't been in Carmello's for a couple of years. But an out of town colleague wanted to meet for lunch downtown on a Thursday, so this was convenient for him. While the facilities are looking a bit tired, the food was excellent. We shared the 'Bruschetta Tradizionale' -- much better than most! I had the 'Fettucine Gamberi' (very tasty -- hit the spot!), & my colleague 'Linguine Toscana' which he similarly reports was a great choice. The house wine was good as well. Server was extremely friendly, and didn't rush us --- we were talking business for 90 min. Having just come back from a month in Italy, I must say the experience was as good as many of the restaurants over there, and reasonably priced as well. I'll certainly be back!Special Features:
- Slightly $ but good meal/service.CustomerDined on 6/12/2014I went with a large group for lunch and was impressed with the speed that the food arrived. The service was great and the food itself was good (a little pricey but fair).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommended.GrapefruitguyDined on 6/9/2014Calamari was horrible but rest of food was good. Service was very slow, spilled our wine, and never came to poor wine from our bottle. Had to remind him twice to get an ice bucket for ice.
- TheCrezDined on 6/9/2014The food was amazing and our server was excellent. He didn't hover and gave us just enough space. I tried it because of a Groupon but I would definitely consider going back and paying full price.
- Great Group ExperienceSosoDined on 6/9/2014This restaurant was great for our group of 16 guests. We sat outside at lunch time as it was a beautiful day and great location. Service was excellent, Food was great! Absolutely no complaints from anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent bilingual service.mimo2237Dined on 6/7/2014Great outdoor dining experience, restaurant half-full but good service provided, excellent menu. Food good but could use more spice. Wine selection alright and not too expensive. Would recommend it. Thank you.Special Features:
- Great food, atmosphere and serviceClintDined on 6/7/2014We had purchased a groupon, and booked an early dinner pre-movie with friends. We were so pleasantly surprised by the exceptional food ( appetizers to die for) and genuine knowledgeable and responsiveness of our server. I can't say enough about Carmellos. We will absolutely be back. A gem in downtown Ottawa!Special Features:
- The following 188 reviews are from the Carmello's - Ottawa reviews archive.
- great for a meet-upVirguleDined on 5/29/2014We're a group of middle-age girlfriends and we like to get together at Carmello's because the food is reliable, the service is great and nobody seems to mind if we laugh too loudly. So we keep going year after year. When the weather is nice, it's even better as we sit on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beau, bon, pas trop cher!!!EricDined on 5/24/2014Un resto avant marathon tout indiqué! Bonne pâtes et plusieurs bons choix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good foodFoodie65Dined on 5/24/2014Even though I wasn't expecting a succulent meal, the food was really bad. Absolutely tasteless. However, nothing bad to say about the service which was impeccable.
- Great food and G free optionsArealmccoyDined on 5/24/2014Ate here twice during weekend of Ottawa marathon Had G free pasta and pizza ! Very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Très bonnes pâtes et pizzaBebegazelleDined on 5/24/2014Nous sommes allés souper la veille du demi marathon d'ottawa afin de manger des pâtes. C'est excellent et très bon service. Délais d attente assez court malgré que le resto était bondé de coureurs !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddaveDined on 5/24/2014We went through open table for our booking and we were not disappointed. The staff was very efficient considering they were dealing with a majority of marathon runners. Definitely we would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before marathonGaryDined on 5/24/2014We can find the perfect meal that you need before marathon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- claireDined on 5/21/2014Dommage pas de service en français. Ottawa, vraiment?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaisieDined on 5/20/2014Had a nice lunch outside. The service was good but it was a quiet day so I cannot comment on what it would be like if it had been busy. I had the minestrone soup which was tasty but oily. My salad and grilled shrimp plate was very good. The only thing I didn't care for at all was the bread they served while waiting; to dip in the oil was impossible as the bread simply crumbled too much.Special Features:
- Excellent!MatthewDined on 5/18/2014I love the calamari here, as it's grilled whole pieces not battered & fried rings. Quantities are really generous. Best Groupon deal in Ottawa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/9/2014Waited for lunch service-very busy-had to give the order to the host as server never came. Food was awful. Service was terrible. The restaurant people were however very nice and apologetic.
- Groupon DealFedakfamilyDined on 5/7/2014The appetizers were the best of the 3 courses. Strangely, the large portion size was intimidating. Our main meals were well presented, but had some issues. Over-salting of pasta and seafood dishes, overpowered the more delicate flavors. The veal was overcooked and over-sauced with basil pesto. The sauce covered every component of the dish. The tiarimusu was soggy, however, the waiter did notice and replaced with another desert. The server was very friendly and personable, however, he was very messy. He would clear the tables around us and leave the dishes in the table beside us. This went on throughout our 3 hour stay. Nothing is more distracting and unappetizing than looking at other's peoples dirty plates.Special Features:
- Great Foodgrouponie169Dined on 5/3/2014once again a great meal from start to end...will go back again groupon or notSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service rates D - Bruschetta A++++AnniversaryDinersDined on 4/26/2014We arrived at 7:25 for our 7:30 reservation and waited at the bar until 8:20 to be seated. Once seated the server arrived to advise she was running behind, glad to see we had drinks and was on her way before we could order a bottle of wine. The wine selection is limited. The bruschetta was delightful, a burst of flavour and a pleasant surprise. The pasta was above average the chicken and sausage was overcooked. Generally, the food was great, we were not impressed with the service. It seems though a reservation was made a table was not reserved for our arrival. The food will likely bring us back with the hopes that the service will improve, however we will lower our expectations for service to not be disappointed with experience.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceTahimiDined on 4/26/2014From making the on-line reservation to the paid underground parking, our expectations were exceeded. Our server Derrick acknowledged us immediately and continued to check on us throughout the meal. The arrival of the apps, main course and dessert was timed perfectly for us. The Seafood Salad had a good selection of seafood . The NY Steak with Portobello Mushroom was delicious and cooked as requested. It was nice to have such a variety of fresh vegetables & roasted potatoes. There was a good selection of desserts and all of us were very impressed with our choice.. Portions were extremely generous, beautifully plated and very fresh. We had the 3 different desserts at our table and all were magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep coming back to Carmello's!TheDiscretePublicServantDined on 4/24/2014Never disappoints. Great local restaurant with good food. My go to spot for business lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time's a charmluv2dinecoupleDined on 4/23/2014This has been our third time to Carmello's and it is still a wonderful restaurant. The food is outstanding and the service is the same. The portions are large, so be hungry when you arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy with my servicescorrivlDined on 4/9/2014Good food as always. Waiter was super efficient and funny and nice. Will be back for sure. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian diningvikingDined on 4/5/2014Great spot if in Sparks Street area, friendly waiters. Busy the night we went- groupon deal! great value for money!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.