Carmelina's North End
307 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02138Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmelina's North End
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carmelinasboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 742-0020
- Hours of Operation:
We are open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner
Sunday - Thursday: 12 noon - 10:30 pm
Friday and Saturday 12 noon - 11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Damien DiPaola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Watching our chefs cook in the wide open kitchen
- Cross Street: between Richmond and Prince St
- Public Transit: Haymarket
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Parcel 7 garage, which is under a 5 minute walk to us, offers deeply discounted parking with our validation.
They charge 3$ for 3 hrs. Bring us the ticket and we will validate it for you.
If you don't get back to your car within the 3 hours they will charge you the normal rate. This is the link for more info
A word from Carmelina's North End
Intimate Italian dining in the North End. Large open front overlooking all the action on Hanover St, the main street in the North End. Marble tables, brick walls, large Black and White photos of the family in Sicily. This is truly like taking a trip to an Italian restaurant in a little Italian village. The menu offers a combination of the styles of the Chef / Owner's family, and modern inspiration and applications. We are always striving to keep our food fresh, flavorful and true to our culinary traditions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carmelina's North End reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (41)romantic (21)special occasion (16)scenic view (14)notable wine list (11)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- AMAZINGDined on 11/15/2014The best Italian I've had in the North End!! I live in the North End and have tried a ton of Italian, and this was the best by far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly Disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014Rushed! Rushed ! Rushed! Terrible service! Rude Waitstaff! Greasy food!
- Delicious food, great serviceAnthomaniacVIPDined on 11/5/2014With several hours to kill before catching my flight home out of BOS, I diverted to the North End for a late lunch. At the server's suggestion, I had the pistachio-crusted sea bass, and the kitchen cheerfully subbed in spinach for the daily veg. The sea bass was perfectly-cooked and served with a shaved-potato gratin and delicious drizzles of sauce and herb-infused oil that complemented the fish and sides very nicely. My waiter was attentive but not intrusive. It was a very pleasant meal and the best food I had all week. The only downside to this outing was the (always challenging) parking situation in the North End. Couldn't find a spot on the street and ended up paying $37 to park at the Harbor garage several blocks away. Worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic North End experienceMomInNHDined on 11/3/2014Clean restaurant with a nice ambiance. We went on a Monday night so it wasn't particularly busy, but our service was good and food was tasty. Better than other North End restaurants we've tried.Special Features:
- Outstanding food !!PattyDined on 11/2/2014Loved all plates ordered in our group. Lamb Lollipops were Amazing ! its a small place with no effort on decoration but the food makes up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!fabfoodieDined on 11/1/2014The food was outstanding. EVERY person in our large party loved their meal. Fresh pasta, fresh ingredients, simply prepared, beautifully served. Quite reasonably priced. Nice wine list also. The atmosphere in the restaurant is just what you would want. The feel of a small, modern, warm Italian restaurant, with none of the hokey decor or standard fare. Nick, our server, was excellent. The chef is a true talent. Now, the missing star. There is no waiting area. At the 9:30 reservation, they could not accommodate the full party. Guests were treated rudely by a young, know-it-all server, until he asked Nick to handle our party. Everything turned around at that point.) I would not suggest this restaurant for larger parties >8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmelina'sMattDamonDined on 11/1/2014Great food, and the Sunday Macaroni lived up to everything it was hyped to be. Would be 5 stars, but we felt rushed the entire night as if they were trying to make space in the restaurant, even though half the restaurant was empty on a cold rainy North End night. Everything else was great, so I would just take it as an off night and would enjoy going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terriffic Food - Cold ServiceTomRVIPDined on 10/27/2014A small restaurant in the heart of the north end with an open kitchen windows that open to the street. Our greeting was fine, but despite cool evening the front windows were wide open and a cold breeze blew in. Everyone was irritated by the cold and after a few moments we shifted tables. After many comments they unhappily closed the window - and that's how the service went-cold Indifferent at best. The food however was quite good, the portions large, the prices fair. At the end of dinner, the check was plunked down, scooped up and that was that. No offer of dessert, no thank yous. I might go back in the summer for the food - expect to leave full and satisfied, but if you're looking for that little extra love this place isn't for you.Special Features:
- Delicious foodF00DDined on 10/27/2014My had lunch the first time at Carmelina's and it was great. The food is always great, especially the bread. However, when I went back for dinner the bread was cold and a different kind. Both visits I had to request adequate silverware for the table. I'd go back and. Still recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitPalmTreeGirlDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I were given a gift certificate to Carmelina's. The only thing I found a bit difficult was the lighting was so low I could not read the menu and became a bit frustrated. We had viewed the menu on-line so had a bit of an edge. However, the food was so good that we will be back. Perhaps I will bring a small flashlight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming at Best.....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014If you're looking forward to a authentic dining experience at one of Boston's Italian North End restaurants, please do yourself a favor and look anywhere else but Carmelina's. The restaurant is over-crowded, service rushed/non-existant and the food pedestrian at best....
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014I had a reservation at 6:45. I got there at 7. I understand that this is 15 minutes late and I was glad when a table was still held for us. However, when I got in, the hostess reprimanded me for being late. I am a CUSTOMER and he is getting PAID to be a hostess. I thought this was extremely rude because the first thing I said when I got into the restaurant was "Sorry we're so late!". It was a turn off and a bag beginning to a not so great meal.Special Features:
- not impressedJules88Dined on 10/24/2014We got sat at a table 3 feet from the door which opened frequently throughout our meal, and it was freezing out. The server was impatient and rude when we needed more time with the menu, and when we asked for a wine recommendation she knew nothing about the list. The food was delicious which was the only good thing about the meal. The bill was brought as soon as we finished the food. The restaurant doesn't offer dessert and coffee but we had wanted to get another glass of wine, which we decided against after we were rushed out. It seemed like because the reservations were there the restaurant knew they'd be making money so they didn't need to rely on customer service at all.
- last warm nightUMassDaveDined on 10/18/2014Four of us went to Carmelina's on Saturday night, the last warm night of the fall. Reservation was for 8:00 and we were seated within ten minutes. Food was very good. Appetizers of meatballs, carbonara, eggplant were all excellent. Main dishes were Sunday's macaroni (Lots of food!), sea bass and pork chop. All were cooked and presented very well. The temperatures allowed for the front windows to be opened up, so we were inside but open to Hanover Street. Space is small and tables are close, but we were able to carry on our conversation very well. A good time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great experienceBorninBostonDined on 10/18/2014Service was not good. Waitress uncaring and not attentive(no utensils for appetizers, wrong drinks) to name a couple. We felt (4) that service was poor with an attitude. Food was just ok.Special Features:
- Best in the North EndKingRichardVIPDined on 10/15/2014Little Italy (North End) has a small restaurant that is so good. In all my years of eating in most places in the area, Carmelina's, in my opinion, is the best there is. Great varied menu of Primi Piatte (small plate) and full course dishes prepared in a modern way using old school Italian recipes that have been handed down for generations. Fresh, delicious and artistically presented. Good wine list at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Best in North EndHockeeVIPDined on 10/13/2014As a north end resident, I hate to let the secret out but Carmelina's is the best! Try the Sunday Macaroni! Everything is made to order, the chef Damian is the best as well as a friendly, wonderful person! He is also an actor! Everyone I have brought to Carmelina's love the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers - pleasantly surprisedLittleBirdieVIPDined on 10/11/2014We arrived about 10 minutes early for our reservation but were seated immediately. Our reservation was for 3 at 5:30pm on Saturday. Carmelina's serves beer and wine only. The tuna appetizer was well received by my two guests. For dinner, one guest had the filet mignon special, the other had the stuffed pork chop special, and I had the sweet potato risotto special. All were right sized portions and it was served at the correct temperatures. Dinner was a nice pace, we did not feel rushed. Carmelina's is small and seating is snug bordering on tight. Carmelina's does not serve dessert. Suggest booking early reservations because as we were leaving about an hour later there were people lined up on the sidewalk waiting and they had reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very italianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014Waiter Nick was expectantly very Italian and funny. Great atmosphere. Also honest about what was good and what wasn't. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighbourhood ItalianTheSaintDined on 10/8/2014Interesting menu with good home cooked taste. Warm and friendly atmosphere and opening front window to the street gives it a nice outdoor feel. Staff friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Friends meeting friendsFriendsDined on 10/4/2014Food was excellent! We were a party of 8 and had a reservation for 12:45 on a Saturday afternoon. We were seated on time and had a very attentive waitress. Everyone ordered a different main course - there was not a person disappointed! We will be back.Special Features:
- excellent choice.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We made a reservation as we were walking there was lucky to get in it was so popular..great spot for dinner for two. Very small restaurant only like 35 seats. Larger groups definately make reservations way in advanced. Was very nice place real authentic Italian food and staff. The meatballs were great. Very filling. It was noisy due to size of place but the food makes up for it.. they were booked 2 hrs out for tables more than 2. The menu offered a variety of choices lots of seafood dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second time--still greatfishloverDined on 9/26/2014The food was reasonably priced, perfect portions, and delicious. Will be back!Special Features:
- Another home runAnonymousVIPDined on 9/21/2014My BF and I stopped in for another great lunch. Well-executed. Pasta and fish cooked perfectly, not overdone. A couple of good wines by the glass. Attention to detail and pleasant waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodJoanneVIPDined on 9/19/2014This will now become one of my favorite place in North End. The pasta is really good and very reasonable price. I also like the setting of the restaurant. It is not so loud like most of the restaurants in North End even though it is packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crazy alfredoeatdrinkbemerry5Dined on 9/16/2014The crazy alfredo is to die for...perfect amount of spicyness, also saw the sunday macaroni and it is huge..place does it right. I sat by the window and it was very nice, right on the street..great spot to bring someone to!Special Features:
- Awesome food, not great servicepretendingtodietDined on 9/13/2014We have been here a couple of times and the food is always amazing, the Penne Gorgonzola is my favorite and the Ahi Tuna Arrabbiata is a must. The first couple of times, we had lovely service. The third time, we didn't even really have a server, its was kind of this floater girl who wasn't really that polite and was sort of just bouncing around, no introduction, no reading of the specials. We were in a group of 4 and 3 of the meals came out and we were left waiting for the last one for about 20 minutes. They gave us free meatballs as an apology but it was still embarrassing as we recommended this place and had such lovely things to say about it. We will probably still go back because I just loved the food but I was bummed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be regulars!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/5/2014We'd nearly given up the search for consistently good food at a reasonable price in the North End, a touristy, overpriced pit of culinary despair. (We usually drive OUT of the NE to eat, or we get sushi.) We recently found Carmellina's to be very good. We've been a few times recently. The chef knows how to cook proteins; steaks and fish come out perfect. The shrimp & garlic app is excellent, with a good portion, and not overcooked. They were very attentive to my need for a low-salt diet for a medical issue. You CAN get a healthy, delicious meal there, a rarity in the NE. My BF's carbonara was done properly and he loved it. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Nothing exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014A good Italian restaurant in the North End, but nothing exceptional. Good service, pretty loud atmosphere.
- A nice lunchAnonymousVIPDined on 9/1/2014My BF had been before, and wanted to return. We were lucky to score a perfect table for a late lunch. He devoured a large plate of parm with nice-looking rigatoni. I went for lighter fare and was really happy with my petite filet. The chef knows how to cook proteins! My rare steak had a thick, gorgeous ear on the outside. The waitress seemed to picked up that I was going for healthier fare and offered to switch potatoes for vegetables which was much appreciated. This place is good for Italian-American red sauce pasta dishes but don't overlook the entrees. The kitchen knows what's up.Special Features:
- Labor Day OuttingPastaHunterDined on 8/31/2014Due to having a gluten intolerance I booked this restaurant for the gluten free options they boasted about having. In the reservation I explained the necessity for having gluten free options. My girlfriend desired gluten free pasta in the North End. Upon arrival we were seated, brought wine, then told us they had NO gluten free pasta today but we could order a steak or risotto. This would've been helpful prior to trekking out in the rain to the restaurant. We finished our wine, paid for the wine, then went to Benvenutos a street over for a fantastic gluten free meal!Special Features:
- Graduation dinnergraddinnerDined on 8/29/2014Went to celebrate our daughter's graduation from college. It was a wonderful night from start to finish. We requested a table by the window overlooking the North End's Hanover Street. Loved the location. Service and food was excellent - we will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ricksttcoupeDined on 8/26/2014Carmelina's accommodated a group of 12 for a recent business dinner. The service and food were outstanding. most of my party indicated it was the finest Italian food they had ever had. My hat is off to the restaurant and staff for a memorable evening. Do not miss this place if you intend to dine in the North End!Special Features:
- WonderfulKingRichardVIPDined on 8/24/2014A greatfind in a crowded market for Italian Restaurants. I consider it the best restaurant in the North End of Boston. Quality and fresh ingredients and well prepared and presented dishes. Varied menu for all tastes.Special Features:
- High Quality FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014In addition to accommodating a reservation for 8 on a Saturday night in the North End, I was blown away by the menu and the food. I need to go back 5 more time to try all of the dishes that I couldn't decide between. Prices were also totally reasonable. First time there, won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistantKingRichardVIPDined on 8/23/2014I have dined at Carmelina's many times this year since it was recommended to me by a friend. In my opinion, it is the best food in the North End (Little Italy) Quality and fresh ingredients, time tested Italian family recipes and diverse and very interesting menu. The presentation of each dish is as good as the flavor and tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, not great.. But good valueOutofTownerDined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed ourselves but the food was not exceptional. Two of four entrees where average, lacking flavor. Other two were fine. Noise was not an issue but glass windows were open to the street. Overall we enjoyed ourselves and for the price, it was a good valueSpecial Features:
- BethDined on 8/20/2014Great restauarant for a family reunion Fabulous food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOliveonDined on 8/19/2014Dinner at Carmelina's was such a disappointment. The Ahi Tuna Arrabiatta appetizer was served at an odd temperature - luke warm. It almost made it seem like it had sat around for too long, but maybe it was the hot plate it was served on. I got the catch of the day, the sea bass served with Rapi greens. The fish was coated with *a lot* of garlic, yet the dish somehow lacked flavor. But the worst part were the incredibly tough rapi greens. My knife couldn't get through them. My husband enjoyed his stuffed pork chop. Our son got the meatball app, which he ate four bites of, astonishing us by saying they had no flavor. His side of ziti with butter was $9, a rip off. Rounding out everything we found the service was curt, just short of rude.
- Best Italian Meal I've ever had!tjlarso3Dined on 8/18/2014Pasta was incredible - I had a pesto pasta with Tuna - amazing!Special Features: