Carmelina's North End
307 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02138Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmelina's North End
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carmelinasboston.com/
- Phone: 6177420020
- Hours of Operation:
We are open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner
Sunday - Thursday: 12 noon - 10:30 pm
Friday and Saturday 12 noon - 11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Damien DiPaola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Watching our chefs cook in the wide open kitchen
- Cross Street: between Richmond and Prince St
- Public Transit: Haymarket
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Parcel 7 garage, which is under a 5 minute walk to us, offers deeply discounted parking with our validation.
They charge 3$ for 3 hrs. Bring us the ticket and we will validate it for you.
If you don't get back to your car within the 3 hours they will charge you the normal rate. This is the link for more info
A word from Carmelina's North End
Intimate Italian dining in the North End. Large open front overlooking all the action on Hanover St, the main street in the North End. Marble tables, brick walls, large Black and White photos of the family in Sicily. This is truly like taking a trip to an Italian restaurant in a little Italian village. The menu offers a combination of the styles of the Chef / Owner's family, and modern inspiration and applications. We are always striving to keep our food fresh, flavorful and true to our culinary traditions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carmelina's North End reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (34)romantic (27)special occasion (18)scenic view (16)hot spot (13)notable wine list (11)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (7)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- excellent choice.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We made a reservation as we were walking there was lucky to get in it was so popular..great spot for dinner for two. Very small restaurant only like 35 seats. Larger groups definately make reservations way in advanced. Was very nice place real authentic Italian food and staff. The meatballs were great. Very filling. It was noisy due to size of place but the food makes up for it.. they were booked 2 hrs out for tables more than 2. The menu offered a variety of choices lots of seafood dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second time--still greatfishloverDined on 9/26/2014The food was reasonably priced, perfect portions, and delicious. Will be back!Special Features:
- Another home runAnonymousVIPDined on 9/21/2014My BF and I stopped in for another great lunch. Well-executed. Pasta and fish cooked perfectly, not overdone. A couple of good wines by the glass. Attention to detail and pleasant waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodJoanneVIPDined on 9/19/2014This will now become one of my favorite place in North End. The pasta is really good and very reasonable price. I also like the setting of the restaurant. It is not so loud like most of the restaurants in North End even though it is packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crazy alfredoeatdrinkbemerry5Dined on 9/16/2014The crazy alfredo is to die for...perfect amount of spicyness, also saw the sunday macaroni and it is huge..place does it right. I sat by the window and it was very nice, right on the street..great spot to bring someone to!Special Features:
- Awesome food, not great servicepretendingtodietDined on 9/13/2014We have been here a couple of times and the food is always amazing, the Penne Gorgonzola is my favorite and the Ahi Tuna Arrabbiata is a must. The first couple of times, we had lovely service. The third time, we didn't even really have a server, its was kind of this floater girl who wasn't really that polite and was sort of just bouncing around, no introduction, no reading of the specials. We were in a group of 4 and 3 of the meals came out and we were left waiting for the last one for about 20 minutes. They gave us free meatballs as an apology but it was still embarrassing as we recommended this place and had such lovely things to say about it. We will probably still go back because I just loved the food but I was bummed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be regulars!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/5/2014We'd nearly given up the search for consistently good food at a reasonable price in the North End, a touristy, overpriced pit of culinary despair. (We usually drive OUT of the NE to eat, or we get sushi.) We recently found Carmellina's to be very good. We've been a few times recently. The chef knows how to cook proteins; steaks and fish come out perfect. The shrimp & garlic app is excellent, with a good portion, and not overcooked. They were very attentive to my need for a low-salt diet for a medical issue. You CAN get a healthy, delicious meal there, a rarity in the NE. My BF's carbonara was done properly and he loved it. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Nothing exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014A good Italian restaurant in the North End, but nothing exceptional. Good service, pretty loud atmosphere.
- A nice lunchAnonymousVIPDined on 9/1/2014My BF had been before, and wanted to return. We were lucky to score a perfect table for a late lunch. He devoured a large plate of parm with nice-looking rigatoni. I went for lighter fare and was really happy with my petite filet. The chef knows how to cook proteins! My rare steak had a thick, gorgeous ear on the outside. The waitress seemed to picked up that I was going for healthier fare and offered to switch potatoes for vegetables which was much appreciated. This place is good for Italian-American red sauce pasta dishes but don't overlook the entrees. The kitchen knows what's up.Special Features:
- Labor Day OuttingPastaHunterDined on 8/31/2014Due to having a gluten intolerance I booked this restaurant for the gluten free options they boasted about having. In the reservation I explained the necessity for having gluten free options. My girlfriend desired gluten free pasta in the North End. Upon arrival we were seated, brought wine, then told us they had NO gluten free pasta today but we could order a steak or risotto. This would've been helpful prior to trekking out in the rain to the restaurant. We finished our wine, paid for the wine, then went to Benvenutos a street over for a fantastic gluten free meal!Special Features:
- Graduation dinnergraddinnerDined on 8/29/2014Went to celebrate our daughter's graduation from college. It was a wonderful night from start to finish. We requested a table by the window overlooking the North End's Hanover Street. Loved the location. Service and food was excellent - we will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ricksttcoupeDined on 8/26/2014Carmelina's accommodated a group of 12 for a recent business dinner. The service and food were outstanding. most of my party indicated it was the finest Italian food they had ever had. My hat is off to the restaurant and staff for a memorable evening. Do not miss this place if you intend to dine in the North End!Special Features:
- WonderfulKingRichardVIPDined on 8/24/2014A greatfind in a crowded market for Italian Restaurants. I consider it the best restaurant in the North End of Boston. Quality and fresh ingredients and well prepared and presented dishes. Varied menu for all tastes.Special Features:
- High Quality FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014In addition to accommodating a reservation for 8 on a Saturday night in the North End, I was blown away by the menu and the food. I need to go back 5 more time to try all of the dishes that I couldn't decide between. Prices were also totally reasonable. First time there, won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistantKingRichardVIPDined on 8/23/2014I have dined at Carmelina's many times this year since it was recommended to me by a friend. In my opinion, it is the best food in the North End (Little Italy) Quality and fresh ingredients, time tested Italian family recipes and diverse and very interesting menu. The presentation of each dish is as good as the flavor and tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, not great.. But good valueOutofTownerDined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed ourselves but the food was not exceptional. Two of four entrees where average, lacking flavor. Other two were fine. Noise was not an issue but glass windows were open to the street. Overall we enjoyed ourselves and for the price, it was a good valueSpecial Features:
- BethDined on 8/20/2014Great restauarant for a family reunion Fabulous food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOliveonDined on 8/19/2014Dinner at Carmelina's was such a disappointment. The Ahi Tuna Arrabiatta appetizer was served at an odd temperature - luke warm. It almost made it seem like it had sat around for too long, but maybe it was the hot plate it was served on. I got the catch of the day, the sea bass served with Rapi greens. The fish was coated with *a lot* of garlic, yet the dish somehow lacked flavor. But the worst part were the incredibly tough rapi greens. My knife couldn't get through them. My husband enjoyed his stuffed pork chop. Our son got the meatball app, which he ate four bites of, astonishing us by saying they had no flavor. His side of ziti with butter was $9, a rip off. Rounding out everything we found the service was curt, just short of rude.
- Best Italian Meal I've ever had!tjlarso3Dined on 8/18/2014Pasta was incredible - I had a pesto pasta with Tuna - amazing!Special Features:
- Tad disappointedkitcat810Dined on 8/15/2014We were looking forward to our dinner at Carmelina's and I must say I was a bit disappointed. The tables are very close together, very hard to have a conversation with your dining partner. Also, as other reviewers mentioned, we felt rushed. The entrees came out while we were still eating the appetizers and no plates being cleaned off the table so we had to stack them so we could eat our entrees. My partner had the Sunday dinner and she said it was a bit bland. I had the stuffed pasta and it was ok. The grilled shrimp and risotto appetizers were good.
- wabbitwabbitVIPDined on 8/14/2014Too noisy left without eating.Previously here good food-couldn't stay this time.Special Features:
- Great foodBillyDined on 8/12/2014The best carbonara I have ever had! My son loved his four cheese noodles and mushrooms. In addition the crazy Alfredo is superb. We sat in the window which, on a nice night is rolled up and open to the street which added to the ambience. Great music added to the night as well. Staff, a LITTLE slow but not as bad as other reviews. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Menu not as adverisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Our daughter picked Carmelina's because we eat Gluten Free and this was the only one that advertised Gluten Free Dairy Free options. The menu clearly states this also. When we ordered stating we wanted Gluten Free Pasta we were told they didn't have any that night! It was 5pm. Since our daughter is also Vegan. There was nothing she could eat except the Broccoli Rabe. I asked if the chef could maybe roast some potatoes for her and was told No they would not deviate from there menu listings. VERY DISAPPOINTED!Special Features:
- Great but HOT dishPapaGDined on 8/8/2014My wife An I took my sister to Boston for the day. I trust open table's reviews. We weren't disappointed. Our calamari appetizer was the best I have ever eaten. Lightly breaded, it melted in my mouth. My sister and I ordered the same spicy pasta dish with an Alfredo sauce with sausage and chicken. It was delicious. However, it should have been labeled hot not spicy. Out waiter quickly had my sister dish replaced with a milder version. I would eat there again but ask for a milder version of any spicy dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkRaymondDined on 8/7/2014Just ok a little underwhelming I expected better food but it was average nothing special
- PerfectLobstertailDined on 8/5/2014Our entire family voted Carmelina's as their favorite dinner in boston over our seven day trip. The host greeted us with a smile and a great sense of humor! Guided us each to a different meal after asking us a few simple questions. Our meals were a perfect match for each of us. Wow!!! No, I mean "WOW!" A must. The host went as far as recommending a dessert spot for us and we had another WOW! Love the lobster tail pastry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four thumbs up for Carmelina'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014Found Carmelina's online while searching restaurants in the North End. Wanted an authentic North End meal w/our visiting friends from Md. Carmelina's was perfect! Small, lively, great food, fantastic service. Our table was ready when we arrived, even though the streets were crowded w/people due to an annual festival & parade happening same time as our reservation. An especially lucky night because the owner was cooking! Took the waiter's suggestion and ordered piattini (small plates), sharing 6 fabulous dishes among the 4 of us. Our friends are big foodies & loved the whole experience. We are Metrowest suburbanites who don't get to town much, but next time we do make it down, we'll be eating @Carmelina's. Thanks for a memorable night!Special Features:
- Solid Food, Excellent Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014Like most restaurants in the North End - you should DEFINITELY get a reservation. The place is small but set up nicely. On nice days/nights they will open up the front and a great breeze comes through. We both enjoyed our meals but felt as though one of our pasta dishes was a bit more el dente than we like. The flavors were AWESOME, though. I would certainly go back and recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Good all around North End ChoiceFoodMFRProfessionalDined on 7/19/2014Was a long wait, even with reservations on a Sat night, but the hostess, Felicia, was awesome because I'd used Open Table to book. Food was pretty good (but i'm a picky foodie). Asked waitor to recommend from three choices and the one he eliminated (Rollati di Pasta) I ordered again later and it was the best of the three by far! The Pollo Cardinale was excellent! Beware that the menu on Open Table is completely not accurate. We went there to try the small plate options so we could try several things, but they didn't have it that way anymore. While the waiters were great looking Italians, their efficiency and professionalism was somewhat lacking. Great open window view of Hanover street!! Overall a really good meal and evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!CathyoDined on 7/19/2014This was my second trip to Carmelina's. It was just as wonderful as the previous trip 18 months ago. The food is excellent!
- Carmelinas- third timepatsfanDined on 7/18/2014This was my third visit - food was amazing but service this time was off as compared to the other times. Perhaps not enough people on duty. Our server was also moving tables from the alley to set yup for large parties. This was a distraction to his service to us. Would go again though!Special Features:
- Good but there are betterAh626Dined on 7/16/2014Food was fine but not anything special as many of the reviews state. Definitely not bad and you get a lot for your money, and ambiance is nice and relaxing; but I rather spend my money at Quattro, Daily catch or fiore (all on Hanover).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing placeNhjennyDined on 7/12/2014We went here a few nights ago based on reviews that we read. We were not disappointed. The place is really small, but nicely decorated. There was a wait for walk in. We had made reservations on open table and got right in. Sat at the bar overlooking the kitchen which turned out to be the best seats in the house. We could easily watch the chefs make everything and even chat with them a little. They were super friendly and very appreciative to hear how much we loved the food. The service here leaves a little to be desired in terms of personality, but the food came out quickly and was so fantastic, I didn't really care. No outside seating, but huge open store front. Order the rollati and lobster ravioli (special). Both are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experiencelamplady46Dined on 7/10/2014My husband and I had dined here once before and returned this week for dinner. The hostess was exceptional, and our server was also fabulous. it is a friendly, small restaurant with great food and a can't-beat-it location. I am returning next week with a group of my college friends and I know they will enjoy the experience. The only small downside is that the music level was to high, which (I believe) caused the conversation level to rise, and with the hard surfaces and small space, this made for a slightly too-loud atmosphere -- easily overcome by the quality of the food and the service. I can highly recommend Carmelina's!!!Special Features:
- not so hotOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/8/2014The actual menu did not have items shown on the online menu . Friendly staff but seemed to be an assembly line approach: get em in, get em out.....
- A definite hit!!DCinChicagoDined on 7/6/2014After researching reviews of the North End restaurants we decided on Carmelina's for our first dinner in Boston. It was a very busy Sunday night so I highly recommend open table for a reservation as we did. From the service to the atmosphere to the food, we couldn't have more pleased. We eat at a lot of great restaurants in Chicago and I would easily say that Carmelina's is as delicious as the best of them. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Boston Italian EatsNiners80Dined on 7/5/2014Carmelina's is located on Hanover St. in the North End of Boston. It is a quaint Italian restaurant with a modern vibe. The food here was delicious. We had the Crazy Alfredo and the Carbonara pastas. Both were flavorful, the pastas were al dente and they were reasonably priced. We had a table near the window which overlooked the street where you can people watch for some added entertainment. The only issue I had is the music playing which was loud and did not fit the Italian restaurant theme. All in all, it is worth it to go there for dinner if you are looking for some Italian cuisine. It also doesn't hurt that it is across from Mike's Pastry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014So awesome!!! Everything is fresh, homemade and fun. Service is fast and pleasant. Very cool with the big openned windows. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014Staff and food were amazing. The Mimmos meatballs were to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in BostonChefmikey84VIPDined on 6/29/2014Where should I start from the hostess who was so professional and sweet gave us a great table. Our server who did a good job recommending wine and beer for me and my husband. Then comes the most delicious Italian food you can. Felt like I was home with my mother on a Sunday night. Fresh flavorful and great portions. If you are in Boston and in the mood for Italian I Would definitely recommend stopping here. Make a reservation the place is small and very busy. But worth it if you have to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.