Carmela's at Macri's
214 N. Niles Ave
South Bend, IN 46617Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmela's at Macri's
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.macrifamily.com/
- Phone: (574) 280-4824
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Carmela Macri
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Carmela's at Macri's
Our authentic Italian bistro is full of Italian classics. Enjoy rich Italian favorites like homemade lasagna, chicken marsala and pan seared talapia. Relax over a hearty meal of spaghetti and arancini or enjoy osso buco di maiale, one of our old world selections. We also offer American Classics such as Blackened Chicken Club and BLT sandwiches. Or opt for a fresh, lighter fare with our Portabello Mushroom sandwich and our minestrone soup with a side salad of fresh mixed greens. Join us and see why Carmela’s flavorful fare is the taste of Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carmela's at Macri's reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- ok placeCons1VIPDined on 10/4/2014it is an Italian restaurant as long as you want to eat exactly what they want. no change in pasta, sauce, etc. read it on the menu and that is what you get. Good but not flexible.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2H2HDined on 9/5/2014Took 2 hours to get get our food out! It was a game day Friday and we had plans afterwards which got canceled because of their slow service. The food was very good. Wine list was very good. If the service improves will go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very long lunchDine2VIPDined on 9/2/2014There were only 2 other tables at 12:30 on a Tuesday but for some reason, out water was always empty, our food took a long time and I had to get up and find the server for refills.
- The following 31 reviews are from the Carmela's at Macri's reviews archive.
- Reservation CancelOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/14/2014Very disappointed to have large reservation for family flying into South Bend canceled while traveling due to double-booking of events
- authentic italian taste!n4thelongrunDined on 5/30/2014Loved it!! Ate here before our marathon, everything from the bread, salads and entrées..perfect! Next time we want to save room for dessert!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in South Bend, INeileenmacDined on 5/18/2014We discovered Carmela's at Macri's on our last trip to South Bend and are thrilled that we did. Loved the cheerful server, fun atmosphere and delicious food. Don't miss dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/3/2014Took a couple of young lacrosse players here after a couple of games. Our server was engaging and responsive. We'll be back next year for Rip the Duck and to visit Caemela'sSpecial Features:
- Good food, poor serviceClevelandFoodieVIPDined on 4/18/2014We had not been to the restaurant before. Casual ambience. Diverse menu of Italian selections. Bruschetta was superb, as were the pasta dishes that everyone ordered. The server was awful. He did not seem to know about or have any interest in the menu items. Ordered a glass of Cabernet, he brought Chardonnay. He never checked back on us. When we asked about dessert, he set a dessert menu on the table and did not seem to want to answer any of our dessert questions. Only after, did we see other servers bring the dessert tray to guests to select from. Server was not interested in helping his customers, odd in light of the fact that the restaurant was only about 20% full on a Friday night.
- Surprisereview2VIPDined on 4/4/2014The progress South Bend has made on the dining front is well-represented in this place. It is an enjoyable setting to take any guests. I can bring friends from the east coast who have been to Italian restaurants there and they enjoy it. It even has a decent wine selection.Special Features:
- This was our first time atINDinerVIPDined on 3/18/2014This was our first time at Carmella's and we will definitely return. Food and service were excellent, and dessert from the adjacent bakery was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful mea!Oompa7914Dined on 3/14/2014Another wonderful meal at Carmela's! Fabulous food and service always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day DisastermbourgeDined on 2/14/2014My boyfriend and I used to love eating at Carmela's—the service was friendly, quick, and the food is delicious. It had been a while since we last ate there, and we were really disappointed in our Valentine's evening with them. After being seated and talking a bit, we noticed that we had been sitting for 30 minutes without so much as a drink order. We waited well over an hour before we finally gave up and left (after asking three times for a server and having one negative interaction with a curt man who to came to our table and hollered, "what do you want!?!"). Other couples were being served all around us, leaving us to wonder what we were doing wrong. We were quite disappointed with the way Carmela's handled the holiday crowd.
- Great food as always, butAbbyDined on 2/14/2014Great food as always, but they crammed way too many people into the restaurant. It was Valentine's Day and it felt like we were having dinner with 3 other couples. It made for a very awkward experience for all. Waitress was excellent and handled the cramped situation very well. Will not be back for a romantic dinner :(
- Slow Friday night after theLL04dl10VIPDined on 1/10/2014Slow Friday night after the week's snow storms, but food and service are great. Nice menue and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Nice timeBradDined on 1/3/2014The food was great, and so was the service, but the overall experience was a little awkward because at 6:30 on a Friday night, we were one of three tables of people.... Very surprised to see how empty the place was.... Felt like our conversation was for the whole room to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Neighborhood Restaurant!!kellteacherDined on 12/31/2013Carmella's has been a longtime favorite of mine. It's beautiful setting and great food make it a wonderful place for a special occasion or a romantic evening with that special person. The food is terrific and the staff is always kind, welcoming, and helpful. If you're tired of the "same old, same old" and/or want to get away from the chaos of Grape Road, Carmella's is the place to go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian restaurant in SBThomasDined on 12/13/2013Carmela's has a phenomenal atmosphere as it is decorated to resemble an outdoor Italian cafe. The starter salads and bread were both good, the entrees were very good (we had the chicken parmigiana and ravioli), and the dessert was excellent. Our waitress was pleasant and stopped by our table a reasonable amount of times throughout the meal. Definitely a place we will visit again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice eveningGo2eireDined on 10/18/2013Arrived and promptly seated despite being 20 minutes early. Staff very pleasant. Limited but nice entree selections. All in party enjoyed their entrees , portion sizes were perfect. No room for dessert. Priced a little on high side but worth it. Will visit again next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time in South BendArleneDined on 10/18/2013We went here for dinner for my husband's birthday while we were visiting South Bend for the first time. We had a great experience here. The bruschette alla Calabrese appetizer was fresh and yummy. My husband had a spinach salad, which he enjoyed. I had a dinner salad with the white balsamic vinaigrette, which I loved. I'm going to experiment and try to re-create that dressing! Hubby had the veal marsala and I had a gnocchi dish with a creamy pesto sauce. We enjoyed it all. The wait staff were all friendly and attentive. It was a busy place, obviously popular, and they seemed to handle the crowd well. We made the reservations well ahead of time, and I do recommend reservations, especially for larger groups.Special Features:
- Scallops & mussels & shrimp, Oh My!RickDined on 10/12/2013We entertained an old friend Saturday night who is leaving the area. Carmela's was the perfect setting. It's a beautiful and romantic feast of Italy for the eyes even before the first shred of fresh parmesan hit the plate. Our server, Heidi, was friendly and attentive to our every need. My friend and I each had the Cioppini which was an scrumptious menage of shrimp and scallops and mussels over a bed of linguini with marinara. There was a nice little spicy kick but not too hot, just right! We had a terrific time and loved our meals... twice (there was much left over).Special Features:
- PatheticSargeDined on 9/28/2013Manager not able nor willing to pull up reservation on Open table. Very rude, and unwilling to cooperate. Not sure if "Open Table" should continue to list restaurant on their site.Special Features:
- Good Italian Food in South BendNDFan70Dined on 9/21/2013This is a great place to stop for dinner after an ND home game. Reservations essential. The staff was friendly and prompt - really hustled. The menu features old-time Italian dishes, but the recipes are somewhat different than we see on the East Coast. Good choice of sauces. Good bread, served with spiced olive oil. Spinach salad was good, although the recommended raspberry vinaigrette dressing was unusual for this dish. Entrees were served HOT. Portions were good-sized but not over-sized. We didn't have room for dessert. Wine list is very limited. We would have appreciated the opportunity to purchase a Chianti Classico Reserva to go with our meal, but none was offered. The house Chianti was just "OK". We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent, serviceMixedDined on 9/21/2013Food was excellent, service was slow, reservations didn't seem to make a difference.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good mealjak508Dined on 6/15/2013I have been to Carmela's on numerous occasions. I had the pork chop dinner and it was very good except the chop was a little overcooked for my taste.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice ambiance and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Very nice ambiance and food. Service is great! Will be returning soon.Special Features:
- One of the better ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2013One of the better Italian Restaurants in South Bend. Not earth shattering, but really good.Special Features:
- try it for date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2013We went for an early dinner before the theatre. Romantic table, excellent service and delicious food! This is my second time at Carmela's--once on a date and once with a large group of girlfriends--and both visits were fantastic. I would definitely recommend it. Prices are very reasonable too.Special Features:
- The food was delicious. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The food was delicious. The service was not good until the owner's daughter began to serve us, and she was fantastic! Overall great Italian find in South Bend, I recommend the dessert!Special Features:
- there was a cold draft blowingEntertainedDined on 2/14/2013there was a cold draft blowing from the entrance door at our table. There was no vestibule. food was very good. servers seemed confused at times, it was very busy.Special Features:
- We went on a Saturday eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2013We went on a Saturday evening and I don't think there were six table filled. It was a nice quiet dinner with very good food.Special Features:
- We made the reservation forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2013We made the reservation for 9:45, not knowing the place closes at 10 (and 9:30 on a slow night, like it was). We were the only diners there, and yet we still received outstanding service; no body acted as if they were bummed we were there. The food was great as well!Special Features:
- I found that the food arrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/20/2012I found that the food arrived warm not necessarily hot. Otherwise, good service, good atmosphere and meal was tasty.Special Features:
- Small portions. Lacking flavorMy3andMeVIPDined on 10/19/2012It has such potential! Lovely restaurant but the menu misses. Good ideas but the portions are small and the flavors are bland. Very disappointingSpecial Features:
- The staff was overwhelmedTACYDined on 9/21/2012The staff was overwhelmed and understaffed on the night we dined here. We waited half an hour to order drinks and an hour between the time we ordered food and when it arrived. The food was very good. The staff was very polite.Special Features: