35 East 76th St.
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecarlyle.com/
- Phone: 2125707192
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Sunday Brunch: 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Lunch: 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Monday - Saturday
Dinner: 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Tuesday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, French
- Executive Chef: Rolf Weithofer
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Custom prix fix menu offered.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet and Catering 2125707123
A word from Carlyle Restaurant
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner this gracious elegant room furnished with pillow-sprinkled banquets, Fortuny fabric covered walls is the perfect setting for delightful French cuisine and discreet service.Continued
PLEASE NOTE JACKETS ARE REQUIRED IN THE DINING ROOM FOR DINNER.
PLEASE NOTE JACKETS ARE REQUIRED IN THE DINING ROOM FOR DINNER.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Carlyle Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Carlyle Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (34)special occasion (33)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (7)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- fabulous in every wayloreDined on 8/13/2014Outstanding, beautiful, special. The food was wonderfully prepared and served. I always think the price of the wine is out of proportion to the meal. It shouldn't cost half as much to pour a glass when the chef goes to such lengths to make a beautiful plate.Special Features:
- sasgDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant has consistently excellent food and service. The new lunch and dinner menus provide a good selection of dishes. The wait staff is the best in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- way out of its league.SirmeusDined on 8/2/2014Sad; very disappointed. living off its legacy this place needs an overhaul of its menu, plastic flower decor, and its staff. Way overpriced. poorly conceived wine menu, and just poor quality...but make sure you're wearing a suit.
- Incredible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Lovely staff, incredible food and a beautiful atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodAV45Dined on 7/23/2014Everything you hear about this place is true. The service, the food, and the ambiance, are legendary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodIkatfloralDined on 7/12/2014I went for the first time with my friend as I bought a travelzoo coupon. The food was excellent and the services was not very good. Each dish for both mine and my friend's were delicious. The restaurant was so beautiful. I will recommend everyone to try on their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great New York Experiencegrumbly57Dined on 7/11/2014Food, service and atmosphere outstanding - I will definitely be coming backSpecial Features:
- Fine diningsasgDined on 7/11/2014Fine food preparation, presentation and attentive service. Elegant yet cordial with good food choices. Willing to accommodate special dietary needs and requests. Captains, waiters and busboys always try to please. Comfortable chairs, tables spaced so that you can hear your guests, beautifully appointed room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FergsDined on 7/8/2014Good food, very attentive service by highly knowledgeable staff, and very expensive. Ambience is romantic, upscale.Special Features:
- Dinner with travelzoo voucherNjoythemomentDined on 6/28/2014The host Carlos excepted voucher upon arrival! They had given us the travelzoo menu placed the order including desert! Carlos waited 4 us to complete desert b 4 explainin that the voucher had expired 15 days ago! He mentioned everything will b charged à la carte which was completely wrong as he already committed n never gave us the options to order from a priced menu! He kept making up stories on travelzoo and hotel policies which were completely made up as travelzoo mentioned it was incorrect! He completely scam us by doubling the charge of $125 dinner to $214 than once he took the credit card he added on gratuity n captain charges for 2 diners which came 2 $270!! Just a sleazy way of doin business! Be aware of their dishonest n practice!
- Elegant Dining703jamesDined on 6/5/2014This restaurant offers a special dining experience. The quality of the food, presentation and portion size was outstanding. Service too was attentive and not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It doesnt get any betterBillDined on 6/1/2014First of all there is class and more ultra class. Nothing is forgotten about The appetizers a special crab meat made unbelievably with a onion ring garnishing and a wegyu beef carpacio. The sparkling wine Vive cliquot and a nice flute of light chardonnay to go with lobster thermidors. What a delight of lobster mushroom and special sauce and other sides.The bread to die for. The crème Brule so rich and even the fresh fruit topping was topnotch and a lemon tart so tasty. The room, the view, the flowers, the chandeliers, the Bebelmans piano bar. I thought I saw Bobby Short and Kitty Carlisle. Forty nice leather banquet seats with pillows. Coffee and everything there is supreme and the service and staff amazing. Quite a memorable evening.Special Features:
- It was ok!FoodieGirl67Dined on 5/26/2014It was just ok! The food was good, nothing wow about it. The waiter was slow as molasses, and not very attentive or pleasant. He seemed upset that I didn't order an appetizer. The table was not properly cleared between courses. Also they have these ridiculous candle holders that the shades were all askew, just a peeve.Special Features:
- Good and not so goodRichDined on 5/24/2014Arrival handled well. Good sized table -with my wife and myself placed side by side back to wall facing restaurant. Attentive service, with sparkling water served frequently. Dessert wine by the glass was not available but excellent substitute and accompanied delicious foie gras. Special of the day was beef Wellington - delicious joint and perfectly cook but served at borderline temperature. But the. 2 glasses of red wine (ordered on arrival) were not served then and we had to chase them and they arrived 5 mins after beef served. The soufflé was to die for, took 15/20 mins but would have been good to reference that option before hand. Ambience very quiet and decor beautiful. Price reflected quality of hotel, service and food.Special Features:
- Food is fairFrequentTravellerDined on 5/21/2014The menu is outdated. Food is rich and heavy. Classics for the restaurant, but I can hardly ever find something healthy and light I stay at the hotel 5-6 times a year, and would like something better in-house.Special Features:
- elegant night outberlinjoeDined on 5/17/2014We were in New York for the weekend and wanted a special dining experience. We had stayed at the Carlyle some years ago and we were delighted with our experience; excellent, elegant service with special attention from the captain and the servers. We were very pleased with the evening.Special Features:
- Terrible service and worse foodJeevesDined on 5/15/2014Waiter greeted us by asking if we were on the Travelzoo 'coupon' program. "What?" we said. No, we were there as VIP foodie diners. Then it took him forever to take our order. When he started, he cut me off and turned to an older couple that he knew and left me hanging. Then, he flitted around the room to take another diner's order and they had arrived after us. I confronted him, he barely apologized. So, BAD SERVICE. My veal was not cooked well as ordered. The bread was soggy. Water had crumbs in it. My wife's fish was average. The soufflés were inedible. THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE UNLESS YOU AN OLDER REGULAR. THEN, ITS STILL TERRIBLE BUT YOU ARE USED TO IT. Plus, there is little salt or taste in at the food due to the clientele.Special Features:
- Very nice, but...RBTVDined on 5/5/2014The food was good, the service prompt, professional and courteous. Absolutely nothing wrong. But, at these prices one expects to have a very special evening. And that, the Carlyle did not deliver.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Had a wonderful meal at the Carlyle Restaurant. Beautiful decor, food, drink and service. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- старомодный ресторанGotovimbaDined on 5/2/2014Ничего особенного,ожидали намного большего. Яйца Бенедикт были хороши, но не на 25 долларов
- The following 473 reviews are from the Carlyle Restaurant reviews archive.
- Over the topLennyDined on 4/26/2014The decor and ambience are extraordinary. The service was excellent. The food was over the top. I would highly recommend the Carlyle and will return frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old New York DiningnjfoodieDined on 4/25/2014The Carlyle Restaurant lives up to its reputation. The food and service were excellent and is very romantic and quiet. While the drinks from the bar are pricey, the food and service still make this old New York dining a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter DinnerBarbaraDined on 4/20/2014The monkfish was amazing and my aunt thoroughly enjoyed her lamp chops. Our captain, Chuck, was very personable and the service was excellent. We go to the Carlyle every year when we are in NYC. I have recommended it to all of my friends. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, but poor servicefrenchfoodloverDined on 4/9/2014Food is excellent, but service is poor, they only come around when is time for grabbing the check and tips.Special Features:
- Elegant old world diningExperiencedDined on 4/7/2014Not many like it in NY. Refined elegance , gracious service. Priced accordingly . Welcoming and helpful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just MediocreJolsenDined on 4/7/2014The restaurant total experience was very expensive and very mediocre
- Ask for Norbertkatten41Dined on 3/28/2014He is the captain at lunch and is without parallelSpecial Features:
- Tourists bewareRed4Dined on 3/27/2014They added the gratuity to my cc without telling me ( I had correctly tipped in cash- the waiter AND the captain ) and when I called to get it removed the manager made up a crazy story that it was the banks fault & the bank charged me a " deposit " coincidently for the exact amount of a 20% tip instead of being truthful & saying the waiter assumed we were tourists and wouldn't notice. SCAM. I would NEVER dine there again, it was beyond rude and an insult to my intelligence and they should be embarrassed.
- Great For a Special OccasionjerzjoeDined on 3/24/2014My wife treated me to dinner here for my birthday. Everything was 1st Class. My only disappointment was that I was looking forward to trying the Lobster Bisque that I have read so much about. However, my wife pointed out that on the menu it noted that it included tarragon which is my least favorite spice. I opted for the soup du jour which was excellent.Special Features:
- BruchUglybettyDined on 3/23/2014This fabulous hotel in a mega location was fantastic from the minute i arrived till i left. Service was out of this world, very attentive staff. It was a lovely atmosphere, restaurant was so nice and furnished to a high standard. Enjoyed the food and i shall pop back on my next trip to The Big AppleSpecial Features:
- Old Time ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Can't go wrong with the food, staff, atmosphere, etc.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceHighfatherDined on 3/16/2014The Carlyle was a birthday present for my wife. It was a stellar experience. We were pampered and catered to from our arrival to our exit. Charles, the Captain, made my wife feel special. We had crab cakes and jumbo shrimp to start and the presentation was artistic. The Entrees were an oral delight. My scallops were cooked to perfection. My wife's lobster was so good that after the first morsel she was speechless. I will say this, the Carlyle is proof that you get what you pay for. Good atmosphere, good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Bad BadfoodforthesoulDined on 3/16/2014It was seriously appaling. To see a place that was so good be so bad... They brought my plate cold and then I had to say something because it was uneatable and then they brought it cold again. Annnd the desert was not even room temperature but COLD - warm chocolate cake.
- Great DinnerDougDined on 3/4/2014Personnel were friendly, accommodating, and the food was superb.Special Features:
- Romantic with ClassOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/19/2014This is a very special place to be enjoyed with a loved one in one of the best neighborhoods in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old New YorkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The ambience and comfort level was amazing. I ordered the beef tenderloin and the BF ordered the 28oz for himself, yes he eats that much. The food was good but something you can find anywhere else. The service was spectacular. Our waiter, Chuck, was a great conversationalist without being to chatty. I would go again, on the strength that it was the way you should eat - slow and relaxed, not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of a let downOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/20141) lobster bisque was a over salted. 2) saffron risotto undercooked. 3) eggs in grandmarnier souffle were very undercooked . 4) crab cake, monkfish and herbed chicken were all very good.Special Features:
- carlyle: alive and wellboskopDined on 2/14/2014With most places new or venerable getting stripped down and painted white like most everyone's apartments, why would you want to go somewhere that looks just like where you hibernate? The answer is sometimes it's really nice to liven up your eyes and taste buds with lovely. Here's a term that has basically exited our vocabularies. 'Lovely' means every moment is replete with satisfying sensory feedback. The walls have color and designs that occupy your eyes. The chairs are designed to sit in for a long meal. The layout is designed so you can watch others enjoying it as well. As for the food, 'the Ladies who lunch' menu, (see Elaine Stritch in 'Company') 3 courses, free wine, $42 and not just for ladies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special TreatScottsteinDined on 2/9/2014We were not disappointed in experiencing the Carlyle. A local-ish friend came to join us there on our visit from the West Coast. Wonderful atmosphere and service. The food, however, couldn't have been more bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meaning of classic New YorkramdDined on 2/3/2014The place, the food, the ambience and service were the real experience, the meaning of classic New York. Had a wonderful experience with my girlfriend. I definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.