3660 Jackson Rd
Ann Arbor, MI 48103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carlylegrill.com/
- Phone: 734-213-9800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ted Jaeckel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Whether it's at your home, office, private venue, or tailgating for a U of M game, let us take care of the details! Our catering coordinators can plan any style menu to fit your budget or tastes. Contact us today! email@example.com
A word from Carlyle Grill
Comfort is the theme at this relaxed, friendly restaurant, where the menu runs to familiar, home-style dishes with top-notch regional ingredients. Enjoy the welcoming atmosphere, which is colorful and attractive, yet understated with mahogany accents, large flagstone columns in the main dininng room. During the warm seasons, take advantage of the two open air dining areas surrounding the restaurant. There is also a separate space for large reservations or private parties. Relax and enjoy the Carlyle Bar dining experience. A specialty drink is the perfect way to prepare for dinner and a movie. We look forward to your visitContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Carlyle Grill - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Carlyle Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (10)fit for foodies (6)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)special occasion (4)romantic (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Gluten freeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Not sure if totally gluten free cooking but they offer GF pasta. Very glad we had a reservation because the restaurant was packed and lots of people were waiting. Good food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Ann Arbor's BestJohnBVIPDined on 10/17/2014We have eaten at Carlyle Grill many times. They have never disappointed. Service is excellent even when crowded. They make great pizza - not a lot of varieties, but made real Neapolitan style with all fresh ingredients. Recent dinner there with 4 other companions was a treat. Everyone had something different, but all served together and perfectly cooked. Try their steaks - you won't be disappointed. Wine list has lots of quality wines at reasonable prices - better yet go on their 50% wine night for a super bargain. Finally, parking is easy - they are in a big lot near the movie complex.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never lets us down.FoodguyDined on 9/27/2014Great food and attentive staff! They were very busy, but we didn't feel rushed. The booths are private and while it was somewhat noisy we couldn't hear other conversations. It's a go-to place when we want to avoid the usual after-football game log jams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceUMichfoodieDined on 9/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal which was cooked perfectly. The service from the host to the servers was fantastic. And the ambiance is relaxed. It's too bad this place isn't walking distance from the UMich campus. But if these students have a car, it's well worth the trip for a nice meal at a decent price in a casual setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulFashionista365VIPDined on 9/17/2014This was really out of the way, especially with all the detours. It was definitely not worth it. This is not what I expected/planned for taking my son out the first night I arrived. The service was nonexistent. They forgot to bring our appetizers. No silverware, water was a struggle, etc. The dijon mustard sauce on the salmon entree was a side of mayonnaise that had some tartar sauce in it? The manager was apologetic and tried to be accommodating, but the experience was not pleasant.
- Nice surprise1gr8mealDined on 9/13/2014We met a couple at Carlyle Grill after a Michigan football game. We live about 2 hours away, the other couple lived about 5 hours away. I just found this gem searching on line. LOVED IT. great atmosphere, great food. I had ribs and chicken, nice size portion, awesome mashed potatoes, included some grilled veggies....very good. My wife had a sandwich, she couldn't finish it......We wished we would have made it there before 6pm for the happy hours specials...we will go there again. We also ordered onion rings, again...very nice portion for the money, we had chips and salso also....great homemade salsa. OK selection on beer, would have liked a few more micro brews to choose from.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014A nice, convenient place for dinner before or after your movie. The food is good, but it won't blow you away.
- Another Great DinnerDRolandDined on 8/8/2014Always have a great meal at Carlyle Grill. They never disappoint. The Raspberry Lemon Drop drink was outstanding!!!Special Features:
- Slow serviceDinnerTDined on 8/2/2014After four baskets of rolls the salads arrived but not everyone's. The waiter was pleasant but a food server was rough, plopped plates on the table while reaching across and in the personal space of the guest. It was so intrusive we had to laugh. The dinner also arrived in stages, some items cold, and late. Unfortunate due to the good food and attractive menu. First time at Carlyle. Possibly a bad or busy night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/Service, bad atmospherenerdrowwilson1Dined on 7/28/2014I went there with my girlfriend after seeing the menu prices, expecting it to be an upscale restaurant. Upon walking in, it seemed a lot more like a slightly nicer Applebee's. The service was great, and the food was very good (worth the cost), but the atmosphere was pretty bad for the pricing and service quality.Special Features:
- Great lunch stopLuv2eatoutVIPDined on 7/22/2014Service was quick and excellent food selections for lunch...highly recommend comfort food of the chicken finger platter, chicken avocado club sandwich, or any of the pasta dishes. Can't go wrong with any choice!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014The noise level was once again intolerable. We really enjoy the food at the Carlyle but the background music along with the acoustics make normal conversation impossible. Our server was OK but seemed to be distracted and less attentive than the other servers.Special Features:
- Early dinnerJustmeDined on 7/3/2014It was not very busy for our early dinner. Thus it also was of very loud while we were there. Good food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AA2dinerDined on 6/26/2014Great venue for restaurant week. Large portions, great deserts! Ribs were fantastic. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- The following 290 reviews are from the Carlyle Grill reviews archive.
- Great for lunch!Luv2eatoutVIPDined on 6/12/2014Chicken Avocado Sandwich and the Chicken Finger Platter are definitely staples at this restaurant for lunch or dinner. Ultimate comfort food. Service was great and timing of food fit within our lunch timeframe...definitely love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grrat foofOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/13/2014So many places seldom get a steak right, cooked perfectly. Wife's dish also perfect, great wine lost. Nothing went wrongSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Apps and wineLuv2eatoutVIPDined on 5/8/2014Great place to stop at in the evenings for drinks and appetizers, or even just a light meal or dessert!Special Features:
- Mixed reviewMartieDined on 4/3/2014This restaurant is in a perfect location for a meal before or after going to the movies at Quality 16. My meal was disappointing. I ordered soup and salad. The soup was bland and not hot - the salad was mostly iceburg lettuce. Other people in my group had meals that were better. The service was very good and accommodating to our group of 10 people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serviceplv22Dined on 3/29/2014We have been to Carlyle Grill many times before and have always had good service. So I'm hoping our experience was a one time thing. Quick to take the orders, but never received my soup and main courses took over 30 minutes to get. We never received water refills or were asked if we wanted another drink. Won't be coming there again for awhile.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurant/barA2FoodCriticVIPDined on 3/29/2014Carlyle is a great stop for a drink afte work and some takeout. It's even better if you sit down and enjoy the many offerings on their menu. The food will definitely surprise you, and they are very accommodative of gluten free dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night out with my family!LorentzDined on 3/13/2014We were looking for a restaurant where we could have a nice dinner in the area, and Carlyle Grill came highly recommended on Open Table. There were some tables occupied, however the place was nice, with a good ambience. The service was prompt, accomodating to our needs. We really felt welcomed, and enjoyed the dinner.Special Features:
- Wonderful steak salad, lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2014Wonderful steak salad, loved our booth. Must extend our sincere thanks to Sara for always providing impeccable service!
- A great place to celebrateGPageauDined on 3/8/2014The Carlyle Grill in Ann Arbor is a great place for our family to celebrate events, because it is easy to get to and equidistant between the Metro Detroit area and mid-Michigan. The service at the Carlyle is always spot-on attentive without being intrusive and the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience, great foodDedeoDined on 3/6/2014Enjoyable dinner with a friend, very nice dinner selections. Draft beer selection limited but excellent choices. Service was conscientious and not cloying. Only disappointment was the house salad - standard lettuce/veggie mix from a bag. The decor of dark woods was pleasant and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlyle Grill is a good, moderatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/21/2014Carlyle Grill is a good, moderately priced restaurant. It's better than national chains, but it's not fine dining. Good choice of both sandwiches and entrees, and generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food could be hotterRimontskiVIPDined on 2/16/2014Food often comes to table less hot than it could be. Tell the waitress you want the fries hot ahead of time and you usually get it. Crab cakes are good, but came lukewarm, which makes them just okay.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!AMSkekDined on 2/15/2014I chose to eat a Carlyle's after looking online for a nice place for dinner when my parents were in town. We had a reservation and were seated as soon as we walked in the door. We were all very happy with our meal selections and the service was extremely fast! our meals came out just after we got our appetizer so that was the only complaint I have... which really isn't much of a complaint at all! Our server was very timely with refilling our drinks promptly and was helpful with suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, good atmosphere,AdamDined on 2/14/2014Good service, good atmosphere, and absolutely fantastic food, literally made my mouth water. I highly recommend the specials, whatever they are, as the chefs are very good at what they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayMJG623Dined on 2/14/2014Crazy busy night, friendly but overworked staff, sat on what is normally an outdoor patio that has roll down glass doors. It was a bit chilly and the table was obviously and outdoor table with a tablecloth over it. The food was tasty but came out VERY fast leading me to believe most of it was per-prepared and then heated up.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will want to try them againTouristDined on 2/9/2014Will give them the benefit of the doubt. Dinner @ 9PM on a Sunday may have been the reason they were out of potatoes. Also, waitress seemed like she had had a long day. But we got throught it, and the food was certainly okay. We had just seen a movie and didn't want to drive too far to grab a bite. THIS RESTAURANT IS GREAT FOR THAT TYPE OF OCCASION.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had salmon on a plank. VeryJanetDined on 1/17/2014Had salmon on a plank. Very tasty, soup of the day was creamy tomato, great but not real hot. Brownie ice cream dessert was just ok. Service was very attentive and friendly. My husband's Parmesan encrusted white fish was delicious. The side verges of zucchini we're not notable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Right Restaurant WeekAHigginsDined on 1/14/2014We've been to Carlyle before, and we love it for a pre-movie dinner. This time, I checked out the menu for Restaurant week, and Carlyle's was the best I found for "something for everyone." My mother-in-law loved the baby bay scallops, I had squash ravioli, my son got his baby back ribs, and my husband had a meal-salad. Most Restaurant week menus were very limited and truly aimed at high foodies. Not great for a family outing. Carlyle's booths are comfortable and allow privacy, and their service is always fast and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AA Restaurant Week disappointedLuv2eatoutVIPDined on 1/12/2014No restaurant week lunch specials are honored on weekends. This was not mentioned anywhere on the website - very misleading advertising. We made reservations to try the lunch specials for AA restaurant week on Sunday, and ended up having to order other items off the menu. We would've gone elsewhere had we known beforehand. To say the least, we were not happy. Food was still decent, but there was quite a wait on Sunday for the orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMariDined on 1/11/2014We celebrated our Christmas get together where I came from Jackson and my other family came from Farmington Hills. The location was in the middle. We were so pleased with the service and food. I HIGHLY would recommend this restaurant to others. I know we will be back. Thanks so much for the memory.Special Features:
- Steak Frites makes us feelAnnieDined on 1/8/2014Steak Frites makes us feel like we're in Paris again... but the meat is much better!Special Features:
- excellentHankDined on 1/4/2014Carlyle Grill is not the best restaurant in the crowded Ann Arbor restaurant scene, but it is reliably good food and a great choice when you want to be out on the west side of town. I've always been pleased with the quality/quantity of the food and the service. NY Strip steak is excellent, as are most of their specials. Great wine selection. Ask for a booth, as it can be a bit loud at the tables in the middle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant atmosphereFoodloverDined on 1/2/2014We enjoy going here because of the large booth options where you can fit 5-6 people comfortably rather than at a table. The food is always excellent with a few of their own recipes you can't find anywhere else. The server was always checking on us which was helpful. Always a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve ScroogeBoopDined on 12/24/2013Home page for Carlyle's did not say restaurant would be closing at 8:00pm nor did person I spoke to earlier in the day when I called to ask about specials for that evening. Reservation was 6:45 , whitefish was tasteless, veggies mush and potatoes cold. Partner's ribs were dry and tasteless. Had to ask for water 2 x's. By 7:30 pm atmosphere was "hurry up and get out,of here, we want to get home."
- Christmas eveglfroma2Dined on 12/24/2013Picked Carlyle Grille because of ability to make a reservation. We were met and seated immediately and courtesly despite the fact that one couple with us was a no show. The wait staff was great and so was the food. Would definately reccomend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have spent the last fourCarolDined on 12/24/2013We have spent the last four Christmas Eve's at Carlyle's and look forward to a fifth next year. The food is tremendous and the service amazing! We are always aware and sensitive to the fact that staff want to be out for Christmas Eve too but they never make us feel rushed. We truly love and appreciate this wonderful "neighborhood gem" and thank you for four wonderful years... Carol PriceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.