700 Yampa Ave. #103
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carlstavern.com/
- Phone: 9707612060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Collin Kelley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Seating for up to 25 guests in a comfortable semi-private, elevated area of the restaurant. 55" HD LCD Screen available for presentations, videos or everyone favorite game.
- Private Party Contact: Noella Kelley 9707612059
- Entertainment: Live Music every Wednesday, Friday & Saturday! Steamboat"s newest tradition - Bluegrass Wednesdays at Carl's Tavern! Enjoy live, local Bluegrass acts while you dine. Every Wednesday from 6pm till 9pm, our musicians will get your toes tappin' to old favorites and mountain inspired originals.
A word from Carl's Tavern
DASHING GOOD LOOKS AND A COOL FOREIGN ACCENT. OH, AND HE COULD FLY TOO! THE ADVENTUROUS SPIRIT OF CARL HOWELSEN IS OUR INSPIRATION AND CARL’S TAVERN IS A PLACE FOR ADVENTUROUS SPIRITS TO CALL HOME. THE HOSPITALITY IS GENUINE. THE BEER IS COLD. AND THE FOOD IS MADE FROM SCRATCH. SO RAISE A GLASS TO THE MAN WHO TURNED WINTER INTO A PLAYGROUND, AND SKIS INTO WINGS. THEN GO AHEAD - RAISE ANOTHER FOR YOURSELF. WELCOME TO CARL'S.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Carl's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Steamboat Springs ›
Carl's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (29)neighborhood gem (20)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (16)hot spot (15)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (9)special occasion (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Sports bar with excellent foodColoradofoodloverDined on 8/24/2014Not your typical sports bar. Everything we ordered was really good. I ordered the lamb steak and it was from a local farm and prepared perfectly. I would move to steamboat just to eat at Carl's tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night visitJP06Dined on 8/22/2014We were there for a special dinner with family. It was quite loud as there was a large crowd around the bar. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. The food was delicious and as the evening wore on the crowd thinned. I would definitely go back but maybe not Friday night at the end of the work week. The service was good and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeamDined on 8/20/2014Great service and food. Made an evening reservation 2 days in advance, arrived on time and they placed/squished us right next to door. Music was great, food fantastic but felt like they should have placed us at another spot with reservation so far in advance. Seemed overwhelmed and understaffed at hostess desk and servers seemed to be working at a dead spring. Extremely popular spot, be prepared to wait if you do not make a reservation for dinner even in "off season"Special Features:
- Really good burgersKMerDined on 8/16/2014The food at Carl's Tavern was really excellent. It was delivered hot to our table by a pleasant server. They were very busy on a Saturday night do the preparation took longer, but it was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We had a party of 12 for my mom's birthday this past weekend. The restaurant was ready for us when we came in and provided great service. The appetizers were great and the food was outstanding. I would recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- Won't be returningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014The service was slow, very slow, so I asked for a piece of bread for my very hungry three year old. The waitress brought a piece of toast and then had the audacity to charge .50 for the single piece of bread, when we had spent over $200 on the meal. That and the fact that my steak was over cooked, pretty much seals the deal that I won't be returning.
- A Steamboat FavoriteCindyMacDined on 8/8/2014Carl's is a favorite whenever we are in Steamboat. Great food & lively atmosphere. Live music occasionally and a great bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!cicero2100Dined on 8/2/2014We have never had a bad meal here. Everytime we come to Steamboat we make it a point to have dinner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food and serviceMarieDined on 7/25/2014This was the fourth or fifth time my husband and I have eaten at Carl's, and we've always enjoyed the food. Service has always been attentive as well. The Banana Chocolate Bread Pudding is a fabulous dessert. One order will easily feed two people, a bargain at $6. Reservations are highly recommended because the place is always packed at traditional meal times. It can be noisy so don't plan on intimate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy hourdeedeeDined on 7/22/2014We are locals and love Carls fantastic fried chicken, pot roast and meatloaf. Great beers. Not the best wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, service not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014We are frequent visitors to Carl's and love their small but interesting menu. The last few visits however seem to indicate a restaurant that while very successful may very well be slipping into the abyss of complacency and inferiority. No water at table until the meal was half consumed, many items on the menu that weren't available etc.. I hope we just stumbled onto a bad day because my wife and I really like this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!VacationdinerDined on 7/12/2014We ate here while on a weekend getaway to Steamboat. Food was excellent and the service was great. There were a couple issues with forgotten items on our order, but our server was very friendly and helpful so overall we were still impressed. The hostess went out of her way to accommodate a reservation time change for our party of 13, which was very impressive for such a busy restaurant. The food was unique and very well thought out. We had 7 kids in our group and they loved the place as well. It was loud enough that we didn't feel like our kids were distracting, but not so loud that it was inappropriate for kids. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMaryleeVIPDined on 6/30/2014Food and service great. The pot roast and the chicken fried steak are the best. The green beans better than anywhere.Special Features:
- Dinner and Concertcoloradofamily5Dined on 6/28/2014I came to town to visit my daughter. We were planning a late dinner when she got off work she suggested Carls because she loves the fried chicken and macaroni and cheese. BONUS...we found out Cody Canada was performing at Carls that same night. We are fans from the Cross Canadian Days. The food was excellent and the concert was amazing. We had a great night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014So delicious we went back the next night to try other entrees. It is a sports bar so the restaurant is loud but festive. Very welcoming staff, but food is the real star. Best onion rings ever. Fresh salmon was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoy Carl's!PatsgirlDined on 6/18/2014Very consistent - great service - nice ambience - just a good all around dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep going back...CowgirlmilDined on 6/13/2014Every time we go into Steamboat, we make a point to eat at Carl's. The food is very good and the atmosphere is energetic! There is something for everyone on the menu.Special Features:
- Wish I could write a review.goodeatsDined on 5/30/2014We made a reservation and were seated with a menu. That's it. No one came to take a drink order, food order or even acknowledge we were there. We got to watch the people that arrived after us get drinks and order food. Very disappointing. We are locals but won't be dining here again.
- Summer localCheriDined on 5/28/2014Love Carl's. Nice people, great food, but it is LOUD! It doesn't seem to matter what time you dine, it is always energetic and loud.Special Features:
- Food Was GreatvacayDiningDined on 5/25/2014Went there with the family and the food was just awesome. Very delicious. The atmosphere was a bit much for our crowd, but the other patrons seemed to be enjoying themselves. The food, however, made the noise level bearable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't recommendMooseDined on 5/25/2014We were in Steamboat for Memorial Day weekend and wanted to have dinner with live music. Since we planned to hear the band for the whole evening, we ordered drinks, appetizers, and dinner. We planned to get dessert, but after the dining experience, skipped it. I ordered the soup of the day, so bad that I sent it back. Mind you, I am not one of those people who send stuff back on a whim. My husband's onion soup was luke warm and sweet. My shrimp and grits were ok, a little heavy on the red pepper, but fine. My husband ordered chicken fried steak that was good. It filled the plate. It seemed that a $16 chicken fry should at least come with one side. The manager did come and apologize about the soup, but choose somewhere else to eat.
- Nice restaurant, great locationDianeMDined on 5/21/2014We were visiting Steamboat Springs for the week and were directed to Carl's for dinner on Wednesday as there is live bluegrass in the evenings. We made a reservation at 4:30 for a 6:30 arrival. GOOD THING as when we got there it was an hour wait! Food was better than average as every item seems a bit different in terms of preparation. All in all, a highlight of our Steamboat visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great oysters!PickyEaterDined on 5/11/2014Love going to Carls for oysters and grilled artichokes! Most recently, we had a group of 7 and every dish was delish. And, the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service has Improved!CreganoDined on 5/7/2014Carl's is always a favorite, but you go know the service may not be that great. Well, there has been a turn around in performance, without a turnover of staff. I think that should be a compliment to the management! Overall the Carl's experience is quickly becoming the best there is in town. Great food, good staff, and fun atmosphere. The live bands are always entertaining.Special Features:
- The following 143 reviews are from the Carl's Tavern reviews archive.
- Graduation CelebrationdenmorgaDined on 5/3/2014The place is very nice. The menu is ok but needs to be explained better. Had to ask what the soup of the day was, didn't realize when order certain items that was all you would get. Chicken Friend Steak was terrible. Spaghetti meatballs were not cooked. The waitress was good. The place was not busy at all during the day but have also been here at night when it is. Crazy place then. Good wine selection. The noise was due to a hockey game being played on tv and people yelling at it when scoring was happening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best beer selectionHughJorganDined on 5/2/2014Great beers in a town that could use help in this category. Also best burgers and fries in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant - Great FoodBadgerStateDined on 4/25/2014Had a great experience at Carl's. Group of 10, including kids had a good time. Food was amazing. Portions are plentiful. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Waitress even took time to come back and take some group pictures for us, celebrating my sister's 40th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love those deviled eggs!rwh204Dined on 4/12/2014Always a fun spot for a group to eat drink and watch sports on the tube. Consistent comfort food with acceptable service and modern fun surroundings.Special Features:
- Fun Evening with FriendsCreganoDined on 4/9/2014We were a rowdy group of seven women! The food was great, the service was amazing, and the atmosphere could not be beat. The live band played upbeat and fun music, and we were able to hear everyone at the table. A fun local spot in Steamboat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Burgers!FoodloverVIPDined on 4/5/2014We made last minute reservations on a Saturday night after a hard day of skiing and although the place was packed, we were seated within 10 minutes. We both ordered burgers which were fantastic! Great atmosphere with live music, good food and although very busy, the service was good as well.
- Great ExperienceTravelerskierDined on 4/5/2014We tried to eat here a couple of weeks ago but could not get reservations...it's that busy! When we had an opportunity to go back to Steamboat, I immediately made reservations for dinner so we could give the place a try and see if it was as good as people say. We were glad we went. Our server was wonderful; she was attentive but not always hovering. The food was great! We had an appetizer (the business), country fried steak and the 1/2 rack of ribs, and then we enjoyed the banana bread pudding for dessert. Everything was delicious! We will definitely return here when we are back in Steamboat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Steamboats bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014This is always a great place to have dinner, enjoy the bands, just an all around great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJenniferDined on 3/29/2014My husband and I both enjoyed our food and drinks here. We had the grilled artichokes and each had a burger (the mother in law and ski jumper). We also had the rocky mountain mule and modus hoperandi which was great with our food. We will come back here when we visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent comfort food, as always!HvandDined on 3/29/2014Thanks for consistent yummy food. The spicy shrimp and grits are my personal favorite, as well as the fruit cobbler. But there are so many great options. This is a fun place to go often and find more favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local placegladiatorDined on 3/28/2014Innovative menu, pretty good service and great food. I will definitely go back the next time we are in Steamboat Springs.Special Features:
- Third time was not a charm...YummyDined on 3/27/2014We LOVE this restaurant and make it a must on our annual trip to Steamboat. Each year we take the families that join us on the vacation.We waited 20 minutes from our reservation to be seated (uncontrollable by Carl's). Our server was assigned multiple other tables and a large group right next to ours. She tried, but we waited quite a while for our drinks and at least 20 minutes to take our order. Not a charm is that once the food came, it was in spurts and our sides, as well as soup -doesn't that come before the meal, didn't come out until we were near done eating. The waitress apologized, offered a single dessert for 3 mix-ups, AND the manager came by - we mentioned it - he said it didn't happen and WALKED AWAY! crazy STILL - amazing foodSpecial Features:
- Carl's in SteamboatyummydinnerDined on 3/25/2014This place was packed on a Tuesday night and I heard the hostess telling people without a reservation that the wait would be up to 2 hours. We were seated promptly at 6 which was our reservation time. Lots of food choices on the menu and we were all very pleased with our food choices. The wait staff was friendly, helpful and attentive despite how busy the place was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had it going.........Fire2TomDined on 3/24/2014Great ambiance and food. Staff all energetic and great! Food was great and well priced as wellSpecial Features:
- Make a reservation!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014Carl's Tavern is quite the hotspot. If you want to get in (even for lunch) be sure to make a reservation. You will not be disappointed. The food was incredible! They have great sandwiches and burgers and their appetizers are to die for. Their prices are quite reasonable too compared to some of the other restaurants in Steamboat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carl's TaverCOFoodieDined on 3/14/2014Had reservations at 7:45 but couldn't make it. Hostess was able to accommodate us at a later time. Restaurant was still hopping at 8:15. We were greeted promptly and food was expedited surprisingly quickly for the amount of diners present. The portions were substantial. Really enjoyed sharing the mixed green salad with mach, arugula, raddichio, chèvre, and apples. Brussels Sprouts and Shrimp and Grits were awesome. Both very rich. The filet was good but could have been warmer. And we had to wait for a steak knife after it had already arrived. They honored our free coupon for dessert which was divine, banana chocolate bread pudding. You won't go hungry here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.