Carlo & Johnny
9769 Montgomery Road
Cincinnati, OH 45242Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Carlo & Johnny
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jeffruby.com/
- Phone: 5139368600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Justin Leidenheimer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Carlo & Johnny
Jeff Ruby's 1930 Chicago style steakhouse and supperclub. Same great Ruby steaks with an Italian accent. Three unique dining rooms, three wine cellars and live music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Carlo & Johnny - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Carlo & Johnny reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (186)romantic (138)notable wine list (96)fit for foodies (66)good for groups (52)neighborhood gem (48)vibrant bar scene (40)hot spot (35)great for outdoor dining (17)late-night find (17)scenic view (6)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- A very good steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Part of the Jeff Ruby family, the steaks are outstanding, they melt in your mouth. The night that I was there one of my daughters had the Pan-Roasted U-10 Scallops and the scallops had a great flavor and were very tender. She also had two Blue Point Oysters that she said were wonderful. The side dishes are great to share as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014The evening was perfect in every regard. The personnel, from the valet parking to the wait staff, were friendly without being cloying. The food was excellent as it always is at a JR restaurant. The atmosphere was softly lit without being dark. The noise level was muted so we could actually talk to each other. We had a wonderful time and a great meal. 2 items of note: 1.) We used a gift card and it was accepted with grace and gratitude. 2.) we split a steak and there was no "plating" charge (which always drives me nuts.) Thanks C&J for a great evening and for making my wife's birthday a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Outstanding birthday meal/gift! Carlo & Johnny has always been my girlfriend's favorite upscale restaurant & is definitely one of mine. Everything was exceptional! Very consistent; we've always had a wonderful meal/experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The best filet my wife and I have ever had. We've eaten at great steakhouses all over the country but no place had this flavor nor had filet that cut so easily. Side dishes big enough for two, great beer and wine list. Service was very professional yet personal. Atmosphere has a lot of character. If you like the bar area and music you can sit in one of the front rooms but if you're looking for quiet and romantic you can sit in the back and not even hear the band.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WoW!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Best Dining experience my wife and I have ever had. The food was OUTSTANDING in every respect and you will be hard pressed to find a better prepared steak anywhere in the US. The service and staff made us very comfortable and explained all of the options and answered any question. They were spot on with the service. Big Kudos to the entire staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014anniversary dinner, steaks exceptional, over all experience priceless. Need to do a theme dinner and have the waiters as gangsters and the patrons dress in there a tire that matches the theme.!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014From the moment we walked in we were greeting enthusiastically. Our server was polite and engaging. He answered all questions and made excellent recommendations. There was no hurry as we waited for dinner and the staff was attentive, almost anticipating our needs. The dinner was outstanding and worth taking time to savor! The desserts are prepared on-site and were a perfect end to a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!!SmoothOperatorDined on 10/17/2014Always great place, great food, and great service. Could not have been any happier!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience.WhodeywhatDined on 10/16/2014Came here for an anniversary dinner and it was everything as expected. Perfect evening the staff checked on is constantly but you barely knew they were there. My wife's steak was over cooked and they brought her a new one immediately. Service was A+ would recommend to anyone looking for a nice romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomedhalDined on 10/12/2014Starting with the 1994 Burgess cab, short rib ravioli, 85 dry aged ribeye and a 4 inch thick peanut butter pie for dessert, I am getting hungry just talking about it. Be prepared to pay some money for the meal but it is worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningTAFHockeyMomDined on 10/12/2014We had dinner there to celebrate my son's 18th birthday. The service was outstanding and the food fantastic! Many servers stopped by to wish my son a happy birthday which I thought was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gilroy & Maguinness familyhappy2dinehereDined on 10/8/2014Just a wonderful experience! The food was exceptional & the service was wonderful. I enjoyed every minute I was there. Perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableLuvluvDined on 10/6/2014We were celebrating our anniversary and could not have picked a better restaurant! It was the perfect choice. The staff was more than accommodating and all wishing us "happy anniversary". The food was superb! The young lady taking our picture did a remarkable job! I do not have any negatives to share......all positives and we came away with such a wonderful and appreciative feeling! Many, many thanks to the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lindaVIPDined on 10/5/2014The servers were all very nice. We went left alone too long a couple times. The food was good but me steak was way too salty. The worst thing was when we got the bill, there was an extra bottle of wine on the bill. This was a wine we wanted but they were out of. This is the second time this has happened at a Jeff Ruby restaurant. I could maybe see it happen once, but a second time is intentionalSpecial Features:
- First Time at Carlo and JohnnyCinciDinerDined on 10/5/2014The food quality was a bit rich and the sauces although great tasting were a bit overwhelming. The mac and cheese & Freddie salad a highlightSpecial Features:
- SlippingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Having dined at Carlo and Johnny's many times in the past, I was looking forward to our visit this past Saturday night. While everything was good, it's not what I have come to expect from a Ruby's restaurant. Our filets were good not great. The caesar salads were a bit watery and the asparagus side was a little over cooked and chewy. Service was also good but not great. Our waiter wasn't as attentive as I've come to expect. In his defense, it was quite busy and he may have had numerous tables to attend. Again, good but not greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DougVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food overpriced. It is crazy no bread, salad or potato included with expensive meal. $8 for a potato.
- ServiceHarpoDined on 10/3/2014Awesome attentive service! Jim was one of the best table hosts we have had in a long long time.Special Features:
- WOW - what an experience!!favplace1Dined on 10/3/2014This was my first experience at Carlo and Johnny, and I was unbelievably impressed. When I checked the menu prices online prior to my visit, I didn't know if I should be spending that much money on a "dinner". Oh my goodness...what an experience!!! Everything was over the top - service was exceptional, (loved chatting with all the guys and gal who stopped at our table), loved reading the history of the building, and the food was beyond my expectations. My filet was PERFECT - vegetables just awesome, and the cheesecake was the best EVER (and I make a GREAT cheesecake...have to say yours was better!). ..Thank you for a wonderful evening! (and the framed picture gift for our birthday remembrance! )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/2/2014The room we were seated had many empty tables, yet all guest were clustered together creating an uncomfortable noisy environment. The waiter was slow and inflexible--would not provide wine list-he preferred to describe; would not describe dinner specials until we decided if we were going to order appetizers and was invisible after the entrees were served. The food was average and disappointing. This was not a our first visit and not representative of previous experiences but probably will not return.
- CelebrationHAWKeyeDined on 10/2/2014Celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary here at Carlo and Johnny's and the experience was fabulous from the appetizers to the desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Carlo and Johnny's food is excellent, with melt in your mouth steaks and generous portions. Seafood is outstanding as well. This is a great place for a business dinner meeting or fine dining experience for two. The service was just right; hosts were cordial, helpful and attentive. Worth every penny.Special Features:
- Excellent!ChrisDined on 9/27/2014The food could not be any better! The service is top notch! The ambiance is wonderful! We had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014I was expecting a great dinner before I even arrived. From reading reviews and hearing from a friend who had gone to another Jeff Ruby restaurant, I had pretty high expectations. The moment I arrived those expectations were blown out of the water. The staff, all the way from the valet parking to the hostess to the waiters, was incredible. Yes it is an expensive restaurant but what you get is beyond just a great meal. You get wonderful, attentive, caring service, and that's before you even open the menu. It felt like I was pampered at a spa and then served a world class meal. The food was the best I have had in the city and anywhere else. If my steak was any indication, all the food on the menu is to die for. This is a must go place!Special Features:
- 18th B day DinnerBdayDined on 9/26/2014Awesome service waiter was all over our needs. Made the eve special for my son's 18th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGuardianDined on 9/26/2014Carlo & Johnny is good for a nice dinner anytime. Food was well prepared and presented. The peanut butter pie was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak placeLangecarrot1Dined on 9/26/2014The bone-in steaks are great ... Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite as good as before.RandyGreerDined on 9/26/2014The Mrs. and I basically eliminated the other fine dinning restaurants in town, i.e. Morton's and Eddie Merlot's, because Carlo & Johnny's was the best and the prices about the same. Since we were in last, ~6mos, they have slacked off a bit to where the wife and I will re-evaluate the other choices again. The steak was good, not fork tender as before and the side were cheapened in size and quality, a huge price increase. The 7 cheese mack and cheese was replaced with a (baked Mac & Cheese) not nearly as good, and the potatoes as well. Apparently, we are not the only ones that feel this way, as that restaurant on a Friday nite would have been at least 70% full, last nite it was about 30% full.Special Features:
- A MustJohnDined on 9/21/2014All the Ruby restaurants are special, but C & J is our family favorite. We have celebrated many birthdays and anniversaries with consistent service and outstanding selections. There are both indoor and terrace dining areas. We will continue to enjoy the famous beef cuts and deserts. High praise and recommendations.Special Features:
- Best dining experience everNystrip86Dined on 9/20/2014The interior of the building was the best I have ever seen. The food was awesome and the service was unbelievable . I have never had service as good as this and I have been to many high end restaurants. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobkBobKDined on 9/19/2014Very nice. Food was great with a great atmosphere. Wine list is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer the best of the Ruby'sCoupleDined on 9/19/2014Carlo and Johnny's was always our favorite of the Ruby restaurants because it had the same great food and superb service with the wonderful ambiance. The ambiance is the same, but the recent shift to "italianize" the menu as our waiter explained had only reduced the previous standout quality. For example, the augratin potatoes, usually a wonderfully impossible blend of crisp and moist were now mostly moist. At the downtown restaurant, the Ruby's Jewel takes the flavor profile right to the edge. My friend described it as "meh." Make no mistake, still a good evening, but no longer the star in the crown. Next special dinner, we are more likely to go to the competition if we want North or to Ruby's downtown if we want the best.Special Features:
- Another great Jeff Ruby experienceGWGWDined on 9/18/2014Had not been to Jeff Rubys in a while so decided to go on Thursday weeknight. My daughter had been to Carlo & Johnnys before but I hadn't. Love all the other Jeff Ruby restaurants. DID NOT DISAPPOINT ! Had a wonderful meal, No special occasion, but it always seems that way when we go to a Rubys restaurant. Michael brought us out a special raw bar selection of excellent crab legs and prawns. The ladies lobster was wonderful, my ribeye was perfectly cooked. Just a nice, nice evening out with my daughter and son-in-law. I have been to many steakhouses and I always seem to compare them to Jeff's. Some as good, maybe : Bones in Atlanta, David Burkes, Chicago, St. Elmos, in Indianapolis, Peter Lugars, New York none better !!Special Features:
- Thanks...Carlo & Johnny'sJohnDined on 9/15/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant, it was a special occasion and it turned out to be so very special thanks to the staff. The meal could not have been better, it was prepared perfectly!...my wife had the Halibut and I had the steak Collingsworth...both were beautifully presented...additionally our appetizers beef tartar and tiger prawns. My wife loved the beef and the prawns were luxury sized, the wine list was fantastic...our server, Pierre as well as the remaining staff attended to our every request in a professional and personal level. All in all we will return to this wonderful venue as soon as we can...thanks again to Paul the on staff manager...we appreciate all you did for us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Food is very good. The cold bar is excellent. Steaks are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Everyone was so nice. The food was wonderful. Bar drinks need a little work I will just get wine next time they have a great wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBobbyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Had a fabulous time and meal for our 3rd wedding anniversary. We've been here numerous times and this was the best. Carlo & Johnny really took good care of us. I had the Chicago style veal, which is a cross between wienerschnitzel and veal picatta. It was different and excellent. The main dining room (the Hollywood room) makes all the difference in the world. Ambience in that room compared to the other rooms is so much better. If you're going to Carlo & Johnny for a special occasion make sure you request the Hollywood Room and a booth. Don V., our server did a great job.Special Features:
- Special nightswdklDined on 9/9/2014Excellent place for great food, service, and location. Priced a little high for the average diner, but I don't believe they are trying to attract that crowd. Dined there for wife's birthday with family members.Special Features:
- Jim is the man!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We dined for my wife's 30th Birthday. Had an absolutely beautiful time. Great food, Great time. Jim was our waiter. We've dined all over the world and had the best and worst waiters and Jim is up there with the BEST! Way to Go Jim! We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- The real dealSanMarcoSaysDined on 9/6/2014Bone-in filet. Enough said. The best Ruby's restaurant. Not as cramped as the precinct, and close to home. Cool atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.