Carlo & Johnny
9769 Montgomery Road
Cincinnati, OH 45242Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Carlo & Johnny
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jeffruby.com/
- Phone: (513) 936-8600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Justin Leidenheimer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Carlo & Johnny
Jeff Ruby's 1930 Chicago style steakhouse and supperclub. Same great Ruby steaks with an Italian accent. Three unique dining rooms, three wine cellars and live music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Carlo & Johnny - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Carlo & Johnny reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (188)romantic (141)notable wine list (93)fit for foodies (74)good for groups (55)neighborhood gem (42)vibrant bar scene (41)hot spot (28)late-night find (21)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- A dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014We were seat near a door and it was cold when people walked through to have a cigarette. Otherwise we had a most enjoyable time with excellent food, and very knowledgeable and friendly waiter, Jordan.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was good....no it was great to be here again.LMcgVIPDined on 11/21/2014Point Blank. Food was outstanding. Service was extraordinary. All levels of the staff, from management to server's assistants, do an exceptional job of providing the perfect evening experience. Special thanks to Charlie, Monte, Adrian and Shannon for making it an exceptional evening. Shannon even brought over a sculpture from across the room we were inquiring about...further proof that they will do anything for their guests. The food was outstanding. Timing on the food matched our desired dining pace. I enjoyed the variety in each course. The taste of each dish was flat out delicious. Drinks were kept filled and wine recommendation was spot on. Its been awhile since we've visited C&J (b/c far from our home) and we were reminded of what a neat restaurant it is with many nuances that differentiate it from others. Reco - Shortrib Ravioli (app)....and everything elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium Rare was Medium WellOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014This was a group outing to celebrate a new business relationship. 10 of us at a table and still everything managed to come out in a timely manner, drinks kept wet, our wait staff was terrific. A great romantic dinner...business dinner, or drinks at the bar. It's all good at C&J.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlos & JohnnysPapaRadDined on 11/18/2014Pricey but very good. Prime steaks, I highly recommend the petite 9oz filet. Excellent cut and reasonable price. Watch out for seafood appetizer the waiters offer. Can get pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Absolutely the best Kobe beef filet in the US. Atmosphere was excellent, appitizers were great, and oysters from across the US were great for cocktails. To top the night off, the kobe beef was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DickDined on 11/14/2014Wonderful ambiance...comfortable, relaxed...and the food and service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steaks. Sides disappointing.hazmatDined on 11/12/2014Very relaxing feel to the place. Sides were disappointing. Steaks are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one recommendationsteakheavenDined on 11/8/2014Our overall experience at Carlo and Johnny was great! My only complaint was the noise level. There was a live band playing in the bar. The band sounded good but the dining room music was also being piped through the speakers. The combination was a bit overwhelming. I was having a difficult time having a conversation. I would recommend turning the dining room speakers off when there is a live band playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinersclub1Dined on 11/8/2014Great place we eat there often. Love the bar and the bar atmosphere, always treated extremely well. Sit in the same booth just about every time we goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardDined on 11/8/2014The service was outstanding. The food was also. One of the best steaks I have ever had.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014The atmosphere, excellent food and helpful, knowledgeable staff combined for a wonderful dining experience. The room where we were seated was warm and cozy and spacious enough for private conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerdrhphartzDined on 11/8/2014This was a wonderful dining experience. The setting, service and food were well above excellent. It is expensive but worth more than I paid. Only disappointment was no mousse on the main menu. I have had it before and it is what makes the meal the best. Please bring it back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleNightOutDined on 11/8/2014We have been all around the city over the years visiting "higher end" establishments and I have to say the experience we had on our 22nd wedding anniversary was beyond expectation! The staff was incredible and the food, wow the food was worth every penny! if you should go and they happen to have it get the 89 day aged Ribeye...cooked perfect with flavor that was so good you cant possibly describe it. Oh one more thing...the cocktail with smoked honey in it is unlike any cocktail we have ever tasted...My wife Love it, maybe a few times over! I know it sounds like we work there (we don't) I rarely take time to fill these out but the experience was just that good! Thank you for a wonderful Anniversary meal!Special Features:
- AmazingmosemoDined on 11/7/2014Food was absolutely perfect. Our server was very knowledgeable and professional. Great wine list. Definitely will be back soon.Special Features:
- Carlo & Johnny's November 2014santafe1Dined on 11/4/2014Wonderful place for a special occasion--not they type of restaurant you run out to because you don't feel like cooking! Anthony Munoz 9 oz. filet was great. Service was outstanding. Recommend as a special place.Special Features:
- carlo & johnnysbrennaknDined on 11/2/2014I went there to celebrate my anniversary and having never been there before it was better than I could have ever imagined. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Birthday GiftIvan41Dined on 11/2/2014I gave "myself" dinner at Carlo & Johnny's to celebrate my 53rd birthday. I brought a date along with me who had never been there just as I hadn't. Every employee who greeted us seemed to be genuine to serve us. That was everyone from the Valet to the greeter to the guy who served our water. The food was very good. Our steaks were cooked just the way we like them and I love the classy "doggie bag" they gave us to carry our left-overs home with. Great food, great service.....just what we heard and just what we got!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your timeMenuqueenDined on 10/30/2014If you want to spend 2+ hours waiting for your food, this is the place to go. The wait staff seemed to be very nonchalant about taking our order or making sure everything was satisfactory. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- Top level service, Top level food.Phenom33Dined on 10/30/2014I am not a person that usually fills out reviews, but this restaraunt deserves high marks. Service is more than what is expected from the start of filling out a reservation to getting your food bagged up and walking out the door. The Jeff Rubys steakhouses make a person/couple feel wanted and appreciated for "experiencing" the food from them. Food leaves nothing to be desired because it fills the expectations and then some if a person is a foodie whatsoever. Do remember that the menu is all pay as you choose and not a package deal as most restaraunts are. Expect to pay for what you are going to receive but it truly will be an afterthought once one is to experience it. 27yr. old man with 23yr. old girlfriend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service in CincinnatiDavis4Dined on 10/28/2014The service and dining experience at Carlo & Johnny is impeccable. And the dry aged steaks are the best in Cincinnati - comparable to the best New York steak houses. Side dishes, soups, and appetizers are almost as spectacular as the steaks. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlo and JohnnyCatherineDined on 10/25/2014Birthday celebration for my adult daughter. This is an annual event and we go to Carlo and Johnny because it is THE best place in Cincinnati.Special Features:
- Best Steakhouse EverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Everything about this place is awesome and it's my favorite restaurant in Cincinnati. The Mac & Cheese is the best side dish ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Upscale RestaurantLttraderDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant was chosen for an intimate dinner to celebrate a special occasion. It was our visit to a Jeff Ruby establishment. Having dined at some of the finest steakhouses in the country, I must say that this restaurant is among the best of class. From the minute you walk in the door, the ambience and kind professionalism of the staff make you feel comfortable and welcome. The quality of the food that we enjoyed was extraordinary. We will be back and won't wait for a special occasion to do so.Special Features:
- Gr8diningDined on 10/22/2014It was great .. Felt like a princess .. So kind ... Informative .. And deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yearly outingjrdinerDined on 10/21/2014the restaurant was clean and well maintained and the food was excellent although a bit pricy. My wife and I go to an upscale restaurant once a year for our anniversary so I expect to pay more for the upscale food and ambiance but in this case I was a bit intimmidated by the prices and especially the 'suggestions'by our server because I was on a budget. I'm certainly not sorry I went and may return someday but not in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good steak houseluv2eatDined on 10/20/2014Part of the Jeff Ruby family, the steaks are outstanding, they melt in your mouth. The night that I was there one of my daughters had the Pan-Roasted U-10 Scallops and the scallops had a great flavor and were very tender. She also had two Blue Point Oysters that she said were wonderful. The side dishes are great to share as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect EveningEatOutOftenDined on 10/19/2014The evening was perfect in every regard. The personnel, from the valet parking to the wait staff, were friendly without being cloying. The food was excellent as it always is at a JR restaurant. The atmosphere was softly lit without being dark. The noise level was muted so we could actually talk to each other. We had a wonderful time and a great meal. 2 items of note: 1.) We used a gift card and it was accepted with grace and gratitude. 2.) we split a steak and there was no "plating" charge (which always drives me nuts.) Thanks C&J for a great evening and for making my wife's birthday a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals everCraveexceptionalfoodDined on 10/18/2014Outstanding birthday meal/gift! Carlo & Johnny has always been my girlfriend's favorite upscale restaurant & is definitely one of mine. Everything was exceptional! Very consistent; we've always had a wonderful meal/experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomesbjgDined on 10/18/2014Carlo and Johnny was a great dining experience. Everyone was very attentive to us as well as very nice. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceDeliciousDiningDined on 10/18/2014The best filet my wife and I have ever had. We've eaten at great steakhouses all over the country but no place had this flavor nor had filet that cut so easily. Side dishes big enough for two, great beer and wine list. Service was very professional yet personal. Atmosphere has a lot of character. If you like the bar area and music you can sit in one of the front rooms but if you're looking for quiet and romantic you can sit in the back and not even hear the band.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WoW!!!wildcat123Dined on 10/18/2014Best Dining experience my wife and I have ever had. The food was OUTSTANDING in every respect and you will be hard pressed to find a better prepared steak anywhere in the US. The service and staff made us very comfortable and explained all of the options and answered any question. They were spot on with the service. Big Kudos to the entire staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomemar2k2002Dined on 10/18/2014anniversary dinner, steaks exceptional, over all experience priceless. Need to do a theme dinner and have the waiters as gangsters and the patrons dress in there a tire that matches the theme.!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect ExperienceCincyFoodExplorerDined on 10/18/2014From the moment we walked in we were greeting enthusiastically. Our server was polite and engaging. He answered all questions and made excellent recommendations. There was no hurry as we waited for dinner and the staff was attentive, almost anticipating our needs. The dinner was outstanding and worth taking time to savor! The desserts are prepared on-site and were a perfect end to a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!!SmoothOperatorDined on 10/17/2014Always great place, great food, and great service. Could not have been any happier!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience.WhodeywhatDined on 10/16/2014Came here for an anniversary dinner and it was everything as expected. Perfect evening the staff checked on is constantly but you barely knew they were there. My wife's steak was over cooked and they brought her a new one immediately. Service was A+ would recommend to anyone looking for a nice romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomedhalDined on 10/12/2014Starting with the 1994 Burgess cab, short rib ravioli, 85 dry aged ribeye and a 4 inch thick peanut butter pie for dessert, I am getting hungry just talking about it. Be prepared to pay some money for the meal but it is worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningTAFHockeyMomDined on 10/12/2014We had dinner there to celebrate my son's 18th birthday. The service was outstanding and the food fantastic! Many servers stopped by to wish my son a happy birthday which I thought was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gilroy & Maguinness familyhappy2dinehereDined on 10/8/2014Just a wonderful experience! The food was exceptional & the service was wonderful. I enjoyed every minute I was there. Perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableLuvluvDined on 10/6/2014We were celebrating our anniversary and could not have picked a better restaurant! It was the perfect choice. The staff was more than accommodating and all wishing us "happy anniversary". The food was superb! The young lady taking our picture did a remarkable job! I do not have any negatives to share......all positives and we came away with such a wonderful and appreciative feeling! Many, many thanks to the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lindaVIPDined on 10/5/2014The servers were all very nice. We went left alone too long a couple times. The food was good but me steak was way too salty. The worst thing was when we got the bill, there was an extra bottle of wine on the bill. This was a wine we wanted but they were out of. This is the second time this has happened at a Jeff Ruby restaurant. I could maybe see it happen once, but a second time is intentionalSpecial Features: