Carlo & Johnny
9769 Montgomery Road
Cincinnati, OH 45242Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Carlo & Johnny
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jeffruby.com/
- Phone: 5139368600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Justin Leidenheimer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Carlo & Johnny
Jeff Ruby's 1930 Chicago style steakhouse and supperclub. Same great Ruby steaks with an Italian accent. Three unique dining rooms, three wine cellars and live music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Carlo & Johnny - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Carlo & Johnny reviews from OpenTable diners
227 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (197)romantic (144)notable wine list (99)fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (57)good for groups (50)vibrant bar scene (44)hot spot (32)great for outdoor dining (29)late-night find (17)scenic view (10)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Graciously greeted and promptly seated.Attentive but not pushy server.Asked how our food was after 1 bite, then left to dine.Unfortunately,the recommended Halibut was dry.Told server and Mgr comp'd glass of wine.Steak Collinsworth, perfectly prepared and up to Ruby-par in flavor,the crab on top,a $10 premium, was no where to be found.Any Ruby Restaurant I consider fine dining experience and the price to go with it.Should be 5 stars everytime.My pet peeve in restaurant is anticipating dinner and,if it is not right, to have to send it back.I'm not waiting again for my dinner while my partner dines.Unless it is inedible,it's not going back.When we pay the high price,I'm betting it will be perfect.Next, I'll likely gamble where I know I win.Special Features:
- AnniversarySisterDined on 8/24/2014Very nice experience. Service was very good but initial contact with waiter took longer than I expected. Selected veal on the menu, should have asked how it would be presented. It was very tender but two giant slabs on the plate. It was a little overwhelming and looked unappetizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantSteveDined on 8/23/2014Carlo and Johnnys is our favorite restaurant. The food never disappoints and the service is second to none. We always make it a point to get there early to enjoy a drink at the bar before we are seated for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerdouggDined on 8/23/2014Carlo & Johnny has been on our list for special occasions for 10+ years. They never disappoint and always exceed expectations. I made reservations on Open Table noting my wifes birthday. The staff at C&J made note of it ahead of time and the hostess, waiter, and manager all made a point to wish her a happy b-day. Food and service cannot be beat in Cincinnati...or anywhere for that matter. World class steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedHardtopleaseDined on 8/22/2014We were concerned when we had to take an early reservation (5:45), but the experience was a very nice evening meal. Our server was very attentive and courteous as were the rest of the staff. Great food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great service as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2014I frequent C&J often with customers. We are never disappointed in the food or the service. If you have the opportunity.....request Thomas to manage your evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayTmoneyDined on 8/18/2014I visited on my birthday and was very impressed with the waiters attention I received ie, cheesecake and a picture to remember it by! It was a perfect birthday dinner. The food was fabulous! We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- near perfectionfoodchaserDined on 8/16/2014Used to eat at the location in Belterra. First time here. Steaks, scallops, appetizers, drinks and service were impeccable. The oysters were rather lacking in character but I imagine that had more to do with nature than handling or prep of the product. Excellent evening, I'm just glad this place isn't closer to home or I'd weigh 300 pounds AND be broke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GradyVIPDined on 8/15/2014WE HAD A GREAT TIME. SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT, FOOD WONDERFUL, AND WE STAYED AFTER DINNER AND DANCED TO GOOD MUSIC. IT WAS A PERFECT NIGHT OUT.Special Features:
- luv2eatDined on 8/15/2014The staff was awesome and the food amazing!! They made us feel very specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerluv2dineDined on 8/15/2014Very good food and surprise cheesecake dessert for anniversary.Special Features:
- not a happy birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Every year a group of my friends and I come to Carlo and Johnnys for our birthdays. We have always had a wonderful time until now. It took them 2 HOURS to serve our dinner. Its a very expensive place to eat and I expect a lot from a place like Carlo and Johnnys. We had to ASK to see a manager. He did give us a round of free drinks and a few free desserts. but by the time we left my husband did not have a happy birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere - Food o.k.4paynesDined on 8/15/2014We went to Carlo & Johnny for a special occasion. The atmosphere was nice, a band was playing up front near the bar. Nice outdoor seating available. We came for the Jeff Ruby's great food, but was not as good as the downtown restaurant. The steak was good, the side dishes were not good, just o.k. barely. 5 of our 6 steaks were cooked to order. The well done steak - still had some pink in the middle. The other 5 steaks were great! The desserts were great!Special Features:
- Great as usualmnusairDined on 8/15/2014Second visit to this restaurant, and just as good as the first. Service was excellent, food was superlative, and the macaroni and cheese side dish (huge, to be shared) was superb. If anyone had said that mac and cheese could taste like this I would not have believed it! Since the Maisonette went away this is as close as it gets, and it's in a really nice area just down the street from our house. It's not cheap but worth the cost, perhaps special occasions or once every now and then as a treat.Special Features:
- Attentive staff, great experiencedinner4jcDined on 8/15/2014We certainly enjoyed our first visit here. The staff was very attentive and friendly. This was our anniversary and they gave us a free piece of cheesecake and took a free photo to memorialize the event. The food for the most part was excellent, I love the tomato habanero soup with grilled cheese croutons and the baked macaroni and chesse, plus and my fiance's scallops huge and were amazing! I was a little disappointed with my new york strip. It certainly was not a bad, at all, it was very good, but I'd always heard Jeff Ruby's steaks were the best in town and I didn't find that to be true. I went to Ruth Chris's some time ago and got a new york strip there and the Ruth Chris steak was significantly better imho.Special Features:
- 3rd annual visitFood4thoughtDined on 8/14/2014Carlo and Johnny has become a tradition when we visit the area.....never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeinKenwoodVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great food, great ambiance, wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion. Since we met a La Boom ( circa 1980 nightspot at the Waterfront), we always celebrate our anniversary at a Jeff Rubies restaurant.. since the demise of the Waterfront it has been Carlos and Johnny. While expensive, you will not fine a better steak in Cincinnati. And the speakeasy/ gangster ambiance is very different and special.Special Features:
- great place for special occasion!2long2waitVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had four of us celebrating a birthday dinner. Food is always great. A little disappointed they changed the menu a little and took off the onion straws that top steaks. But the other sides were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlo & JohnnyHighlanderDined on 8/9/2014The steak was the best I've ever had, hands down. When Jeff Ruby has a restaurant, he hits it out of the park no question. You cannot go wrong with steak here. We had reservations and the seating was immediate. The staff was great and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinerGr8foodDined on 8/4/2014This is the third Jeff Ruby's restaurant we've visited and boy does Jeff Ruby deliver! The food was spectacular. The service was superb, the wait staff was very accommodating and the overall dining experience was exactly what my husband and I were looking for to celebrate our anniversary. We were most surprised that the menu is extremely similar to that of The Precinct! Still it was a great time and we enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnercincydinerDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful meal. All staff was excellent. Steak cooked perfectly. Couldn't have been better.Special Features:
- Excellent foodblanchesarongVIPDined on 8/2/2014Although we did not order steaks, the food we had was excellent. I had the pappardelle pasta with shrimp & crab. It had lots of seafood & they prepared it without the cream sauce, as I had requested. It was out of this world delicious. My husband had the veal & was very pleased with his dish. We had a side of green beans & they were seasoned perfectly. Although there was a screaming baby at the next table, I would not judge the restaurant for that. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Steaks but OverpricedReds2BengalsVIPDined on 8/2/2014We were surprised to find prices increased significantly - $60 for a 20 oz. strip and $50 for a "12 oz. filet". The filet definitely seemed smaller than 12 oz. - more like 10 oz. at most. The atmosphere is always one of the best in Cincinnati. However, our spinach sides and scalloped potatoes could have been better. The service was good but the server did not handle gift card credits very efficiently (confusing) and offered a free dessert for a birthday after we had paid our checks, so it became a take home one. If had been offered earlier, it is possible that others would have ordered dessert as well.Special Features:
- Just a Great EveningBirthdayDined on 8/2/2014I brought my mother here for her 73 Birthday and the experience had was exceptional, from the valet attendant assisting my mother out of the vehicle to the Hostess at the front door to your servers. Our Server was outstanding he paid a lot of attention to my mother and answered all her questions and gave her suggestions on what to try or what she may like. From everyone that had contact with our table they were very prompt and professional and truly made you feel welcome and important. from when we sat to order and time of the different items arriving from appetizers to the main meal and dessert was perfect not rushed or delayed in anyway. The quality of the service and food was outstanding and I'm glad this is where I choose to take my momSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All in all a Great EveningAussieexpatDined on 8/1/2014Been a regular Customer since C&J opened & ALWAYS had a good experience.. Moved to California in 2008 so lost contact for a few years , now back in Ohio & this my 1st visit in about 5 years & quality all round still excellentSpecial Features:
- Special NightTreatedlikeroyaltyDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I celebrated our birthdays in the company of our three adult children. We loved being treated like kings and queens while every delicious bite of food or sip of wine was savored. As always, you know you are getting something first-class when you walk into any of Jeff Ruby's restaurants.Special Features:
- Nice Romantic EveningSRJonesDined on 7/28/2014Great restaurant with great ambiance, service and fantastic food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was inattentivejenry123Dined on 7/27/2014Admittedly we were there on a Sunday evening but for the price paid (in excess of $400 for 2). Service was very inattentive and with large gaps between courses. This definite lack of flow greatly colored our perceptions of the dining experience including our reaction to the food.Special Features:
- our favorite placeTravelerDined on 7/26/2014The food and service is top notch. We love coming here especially for special occasions. We were celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary and wanted a romantic time together. However, the band in the bar area was loud which made our dinner less romantic. Even with this issue we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service does not make a meal.SophieandSimonDined on 7/25/2014Wait staff very attentive. My steak "Jeff Ruby Jewel", 60.00 and charred beyond recognition. Sides were hot on the out side and cold on the inside with no seasoning. The restraunt floor moves up and down noticably when a person would walk by. That is an easy fix by a carpenter. I understand after paying 224.00 for a couple, the dining experience the Ruby restraunt group was trying to create. How ever the system is flawed or maybe the staffs concerns are ignored by corporate.
- What a Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014When we arrived at the restaurant, the valet welcomed us to Carlo and Johnny's and assisted the female in exiting the vehicle. The hostess greeted us with a beautiful smile and welcoming demeanor. We were intruduced to our waitor for the evening, who could not have been more engaging. He service was impecable. The food was excellent and cooked to perfection. The atmosphere of the restaurant was very impressionable. Once you have been there, you want to return again and again! Thanks for making our celebration a special evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014The food was excellent, steaks and fish, our server Tom was top notch. The manager was very attentive and helpful. Our entire family had a great experience. We all agreed that we will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak everOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014From the first bite- it was evident that this was the best steak we had tasted. Service was great- building was neat- though we were sitting surrounding by pictures of Jeff Ruby- would have preferred different setting. Will request different room next time.Special Features:
- fantasticylisahVIPDined on 7/18/2014Fantastic as always!!!!!!!! Kate and Erica in the bar are fantastic Paul as always is so personable and helps to keep everything running smooth!!!!!!Special Features:
- Thoroughly Delighted!LynchburgDined on 7/18/2014I brought my employer to Carlo & Johnny's for a special recognition dinner. Neither of us had ever eaten here. We were treated with absolute grace, charm & humor (we are 2 women). The meal was well paced. The presentation over the top. Our steaks were absolutely superb! I had read several reviews prior to making reservations. One comment that appeared "too" often concerned me...pricing. I now feel these comments are way off base. When I want "the best;" I am willing to pay the price. Our bill was incredibly reasonable. We had cocktails, raw bar, sides and both "Bengals" filet mignon for under $180. This is a steal! The steaks were comparable to anything I've ever ordered in Chicago. Well done, Mr. Ruby!Special Features:
- GreatFoodfinaticDined on 7/16/2014The food and service was excellent as usual. We loved sitting at the bar after dinner and listening to the band.Special Features:
- Outdoor diningEmmersDined on 7/16/2014The outdoor terrace was beautiful. The service as always was perfect. Would recommend the outdoor venue to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going Back!!jollymottoDined on 7/14/2014All round excellent, highly recommended. It will empty your wallet, but worth it. Going Back.Special Features:
- grandmaddDined on 7/12/2014We love Carlo's and took our friends for dinner this weekend. They loved it too. Our family spot for special occasions and nights out on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit - Highly SatisfiedEatinOutDined on 7/12/2014My party of four had dined at other Jeff Ruby establishments prior, so we had an idea of what to expect. This experience exceeded our expectations! The ambience and food menu were stellar. The professional staff was highly attentive. I would like to see more wines by the glass available to accompany the wonderful steak selections. I am looking forward to another visit in order to take more advantage of the seafood selections.Special Features: