Carlo & Johnny
9769 Montgomery Road
Cincinnati, OH 45242Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Carlo & Johnny
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jeffruby.com/
- Phone: 5139368600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Justin Leidenheimer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Carlo & Johnny
Jeff Ruby's 1930 Chicago style steakhouse and supperclub. Same great Ruby steaks with an Italian accent. Three unique dining rooms, three wine cellars and live music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Carlo & Johnny - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Carlo & Johnny reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (189)romantic (142)notable wine list (97)fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (51)vibrant bar scene (44)hot spot (36)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (18)scenic view (6)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- DaveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Carlo and Johnny's food is excellent, with melt in your mouth steaks and generous portions. Seafood is outstanding as well. This is a great place for a business dinner meeting or fine dining experience for two. The service was just right; hosts were cordial, helpful and attentive. Worth every penny.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food could not be any better! The service is top notch! The ambiance is wonderful! We had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014I was expecting a great dinner before I even arrived. From reading reviews and hearing from a friend who had gone to another Jeff Ruby restaurant, I had pretty high expectations. The moment I arrived those expectations were blown out of the water. The staff, all the way from the valet parking to the hostess to the waiters, was incredible. Yes it is an expensive restaurant but what you get is beyond just a great meal. You get wonderful, attentive, caring service, and that's before you even open the menu. It felt like I was pampered at a spa and then served a world class meal. The food was the best I have had in the city and anywhere else. If my steak was any indication, all the food on the menu is to die for. This is a must go place!Special Features:
- 18th B day DinnerBdayDined on 9/26/2014Awesome service waiter was all over our needs. Made the eve special for my son's 18th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGuardianDined on 9/26/2014Carlo & Johnny is good for a nice dinner anytime. Food was well prepared and presented. The peanut butter pie was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak placeLangecarrot1Dined on 9/26/2014The bone-in steaks are great ... Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite as good as before.RandyGreerDined on 9/26/2014The Mrs. and I basically eliminated the other fine dinning restaurants in town, i.e. Morton's and Eddie Merlot's, because Carlo & Johnny's was the best and the prices about the same. Since we were in last, ~6mos, they have slacked off a bit to where the wife and I will re-evaluate the other choices again. The steak was good, not fork tender as before and the side were cheapened in size and quality, a huge price increase. The 7 cheese mack and cheese was replaced with a (baked Mac & Cheese) not nearly as good, and the potatoes as well. Apparently, we are not the only ones that feel this way, as that restaurant on a Friday nite would have been at least 70% full, last nite it was about 30% full.Special Features:
- A MustJohnDined on 9/21/2014All the Ruby restaurants are special, but C & J is our family favorite. We have celebrated many birthdays and anniversaries with consistent service and outstanding selections. There are both indoor and terrace dining areas. We will continue to enjoy the famous beef cuts and deserts. High praise and recommendations.Special Features:
- Best dining experience everNystrip86Dined on 9/20/2014The interior of the building was the best I have ever seen. The food was awesome and the service was unbelievable . I have never had service as good as this and I have been to many high end restaurants. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobkBobKDined on 9/19/2014Very nice. Food was great with a great atmosphere. Wine list is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer the best of the Ruby'sCoupleDined on 9/19/2014Carlo and Johnny's was always our favorite of the Ruby restaurants because it had the same great food and superb service with the wonderful ambiance. The ambiance is the same, but the recent shift to "italianize" the menu as our waiter explained had only reduced the previous standout quality. For example, the augratin potatoes, usually a wonderfully impossible blend of crisp and moist were now mostly moist. At the downtown restaurant, the Ruby's Jewel takes the flavor profile right to the edge. My friend described it as "meh." Make no mistake, still a good evening, but no longer the star in the crown. Next special dinner, we are more likely to go to the competition if we want North or to Ruby's downtown if we want the best.Special Features:
- Another great Jeff Ruby experienceGWGWDined on 9/18/2014Had not been to Jeff Rubys in a while so decided to go on Thursday weeknight. My daughter had been to Carlo & Johnnys before but I hadn't. Love all the other Jeff Ruby restaurants. DID NOT DISAPPOINT ! Had a wonderful meal, No special occasion, but it always seems that way when we go to a Rubys restaurant. Michael brought us out a special raw bar selection of excellent crab legs and prawns. The ladies lobster was wonderful, my ribeye was perfectly cooked. Just a nice, nice evening out with my daughter and son-in-law. I have been to many steakhouses and I always seem to compare them to Jeff's. Some as good, maybe : Bones in Atlanta, David Burkes, Chicago, St. Elmos, in Indianapolis, Peter Lugars, New York none better !!Special Features:
- Thanks...Carlo & Johnny'sJohnDined on 9/15/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant, it was a special occasion and it turned out to be so very special thanks to the staff. The meal could not have been better, it was prepared perfectly!...my wife had the Halibut and I had the steak Collingsworth...both were beautifully presented...additionally our appetizers beef tartar and tiger prawns. My wife loved the beef and the prawns were luxury sized, the wine list was fantastic...our server, Pierre as well as the remaining staff attended to our every request in a professional and personal level. All in all we will return to this wonderful venue as soon as we can...thanks again to Paul the on staff manager...we appreciate all you did for us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Food is very good. The cold bar is excellent. Steaks are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Everyone was so nice. The food was wonderful. Bar drinks need a little work I will just get wine next time they have a great wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBobbyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Had a fabulous time and meal for our 3rd wedding anniversary. We've been here numerous times and this was the best. Carlo & Johnny really took good care of us. I had the Chicago style veal, which is a cross between wienerschnitzel and veal picatta. It was different and excellent. The main dining room (the Hollywood room) makes all the difference in the world. Ambience in that room compared to the other rooms is so much better. If you're going to Carlo & Johnny for a special occasion make sure you request the Hollywood Room and a booth. Don V., our server did a great job.Special Features:
- Special nightswdklDined on 9/9/2014Excellent place for great food, service, and location. Priced a little high for the average diner, but I don't believe they are trying to attract that crowd. Dined there for wife's birthday with family members.Special Features:
- Jim is the man!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We dined for my wife's 30th Birthday. Had an absolutely beautiful time. Great food, Great time. Jim was our waiter. We've dined all over the world and had the best and worst waiters and Jim is up there with the BEST! Way to Go Jim! We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- The real dealSanMarcoSaysDined on 9/6/2014Bone-in filet. Enough said. The best Ruby's restaurant. Not as cramped as the precinct, and close to home. Cool atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlo & JohnnyBosswifeDined on 9/6/2014Great food and service. Always a good experience. Consistent. Plenty of attention without being a nuisance.Special Features:
- canmakerDined on 9/6/2014Food was excellent, steaks done just right, very good. Shrimp cocktails were huge, deserts were unique / different and outstanding. Waiter made a mistake with my wife's entrees. Manager came over to apologize and offered us free deserts. Atmosphere was good............tables not too close together. Little pricey......this is a special occasion establishmentSpecial Features:
- Carlo and Johnny is OutstandingjerryVIPDined on 9/4/2014If you are looking for great steaks, top notch drinks, super service then this is the place for you. Great attention to detail. New dessert menu is upgrade and very good. Doughnuts are an excellent addition so save room.Special Features:
- CBCBDined on 8/30/2014FOOD EXPENSIVE AND ONLY OK.....STAY AT BAR. GOOD FOR OLDER PERSONS TO HOOK UPSpecial Features:
- Great Steak/Great Servicejam1Dined on 8/29/2014Steak was great as usual. My boyfriend ordered the wild salmon special which they ran out of between when the waiter told us about it and when we placed our order. The waiter offered to prepare the farmed salmon from the menu in the same prep as the special for the same price as the menu salmon. I also like that there is good selection of wine by the glass.Special Features:
- grandmadd4grandmaddDined on 8/28/2014We were ad to see that Carlo & Johnny has decided to revamp their menu. No more hot bread, only one choice instead of two. Appetizers was extremely expensive. One very tiny crab cake for well over twenty dollars. The petite tenderloin steak was served warm but not hot. My veal dish was very disappointing. Should have stuck with a streak. Our bill was well over what we usually spent and I only had one cocktail. Very unhappy to see these changes at what was once our favorite special night spot. Diane TocashSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Graciously greeted and promptly seated.Attentive but not pushy server.Asked how our food was after 1 bite, then left to dine.Unfortunately,the recommended Halibut was dry.Told server and Mgr comp'd glass of wine.Steak Collinsworth, perfectly prepared and up to Ruby-par in flavor,the crab on top,a $10 premium, was no where to be found.Any Ruby Restaurant I consider fine dining experience and the price to go with it.Should be 5 stars everytime.My pet peeve in restaurant is anticipating dinner and,if it is not right, to have to send it back.I'm not waiting again for my dinner while my partner dines.Unless it is inedible,it's not going back.When we pay the high price,I'm betting it will be perfect.Next, I'll likely gamble where I know I win.Special Features:
- AnniversarySisterDined on 8/24/2014Very nice experience. Service was very good but initial contact with waiter took longer than I expected. Selected veal on the menu, should have asked how it would be presented. It was very tender but two giant slabs on the plate. It was a little overwhelming and looked unappetizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantSteveDined on 8/23/2014Carlo and Johnnys is our favorite restaurant. The food never disappoints and the service is second to none. We always make it a point to get there early to enjoy a drink at the bar before we are seated for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerdouggDined on 8/23/2014Carlo & Johnny has been on our list for special occasions for 10+ years. They never disappoint and always exceed expectations. I made reservations on Open Table noting my wifes birthday. The staff at C&J made note of it ahead of time and the hostess, waiter, and manager all made a point to wish her a happy b-day. Food and service cannot be beat in Cincinnati...or anywhere for that matter. World class steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedHardtopleaseDined on 8/22/2014We were concerned when we had to take an early reservation (5:45), but the experience was a very nice evening meal. Our server was very attentive and courteous as were the rest of the staff. Great food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great service as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2014I frequent C&J often with customers. We are never disappointed in the food or the service. If you have the opportunity.....request Thomas to manage your evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayTmoneyDined on 8/18/2014I visited on my birthday and was very impressed with the waiters attention I received ie, cheesecake and a picture to remember it by! It was a perfect birthday dinner. The food was fabulous! We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- near perfectionfoodchaserDined on 8/16/2014Used to eat at the location in Belterra. First time here. Steaks, scallops, appetizers, drinks and service were impeccable. The oysters were rather lacking in character but I imagine that had more to do with nature than handling or prep of the product. Excellent evening, I'm just glad this place isn't closer to home or I'd weigh 300 pounds AND be broke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GradyVIPDined on 8/15/2014WE HAD A GREAT TIME. SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT, FOOD WONDERFUL, AND WE STAYED AFTER DINNER AND DANCED TO GOOD MUSIC. IT WAS A PERFECT NIGHT OUT.Special Features:
- luv2eatDined on 8/15/2014The staff was awesome and the food amazing!! They made us feel very specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerluv2dineDined on 8/15/2014Very good food and surprise cheesecake dessert for anniversary.Special Features:
- not a happy birthdaymellie7Dined on 8/15/2014Every year a group of my friends and I come to Carlo and Johnnys for our birthdays. We have always had a wonderful time until now. It took them 2 HOURS to serve our dinner. Its a very expensive place to eat and I expect a lot from a place like Carlo and Johnnys. We had to ASK to see a manager. He did give us a round of free drinks and a few free desserts. but by the time we left my husband did not have a happy birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere - Food o.k.4paynesDined on 8/15/2014We went to Carlo & Johnny for a special occasion. The atmosphere was nice, a band was playing up front near the bar. Nice outdoor seating available. We came for the Jeff Ruby's great food, but was not as good as the downtown restaurant. The steak was good, the side dishes were not good, just o.k. barely. 5 of our 6 steaks were cooked to order. The well done steak - still had some pink in the middle. The other 5 steaks were great! The desserts were great!Special Features:
- Great as usualmnusairDined on 8/15/2014Second visit to this restaurant, and just as good as the first. Service was excellent, food was superlative, and the macaroni and cheese side dish (huge, to be shared) was superb. If anyone had said that mac and cheese could taste like this I would not have believed it! Since the Maisonette went away this is as close as it gets, and it's in a really nice area just down the street from our house. It's not cheap but worth the cost, perhaps special occasions or once every now and then as a treat.Special Features:
- Attentive staff, great experiencedinner4jcDined on 8/15/2014We certainly enjoyed our first visit here. The staff was very attentive and friendly. This was our anniversary and they gave us a free piece of cheesecake and took a free photo to memorialize the event. The food for the most part was excellent, I love the tomato habanero soup with grilled cheese croutons and the baked macaroni and chesse, plus and my fiance's scallops huge and were amazing! I was a little disappointed with my new york strip. It certainly was not a bad, at all, it was very good, but I'd always heard Jeff Ruby's steaks were the best in town and I didn't find that to be true. I went to Ruth Chris's some time ago and got a new york strip there and the Ruth Chris steak was significantly better imho.Special Features: