Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
500 Mandalay Avenue
Clearwater Beach, FL 33767Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sandpearl.com/Resort/Dining_Fine_Clearwater_Hotel_SandPearl.asp
- Phone: 7276744171
- Hours of Operation:
Daily Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am Sunday Brunch 11:30-2:30pm Lunch Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Daily Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Latsha
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private dining rooms. One wine room that seats up to twelve. Also a private dining room that seats up to thirty-six.
- Private Party Contact: Chloe Henry 7276744125
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment Friday and Saturday nights in our lounge. Call 727-674-4109 for schedule.
- Special Events: All You Can Eat Sushi! Every Wednesday evening from 5:00-7:00 in our lounge $20 per person. Sunset Hour at Caretta on the Gulf - every evening, the hour before sunset, we celebrate at Caretta's by offering Veuve Clicquot Champagne Half Off.
A word from Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
Seasonally inspired cuisine is at the heart of Sandpearl Resort’s signature dining experience, Caretta on the Gulf. Our world-class chefs’ desire to please and surprise means the menu is prepared with infusions of South American, Caribbean and other international inspirations offering a broad selection of memorable cuisine. The Ceviche, Sushi and Raw Bar offers a fresh daily selection of local seafood. A wood-burning oven opens up a myriad of rustic dining selections. A wine room provides an intimate space for special events and tastings, with an extensive collection of wines from around the world. Take your seat among Caretta’s inspiring surroundings perched two levels above the beach with indoor and outdoor seating to view brilliant sunsets that set the scene for the most whimsical of culinary cravings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort - Best Restaurants in Clearwater ›
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (75)special occasion (66)romantic (59)fit for foodies (40)great for outdoor dining (35)notable wine list (33)good for groups (27)great for brunch (25)neighborhood gem (14)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Eat here if you're at the SandpearlOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014The view is out of this world, especially if you're sitting outside. Service was great. The menu is diverse, with plenty to offer for foodies and more traditional diners alike. Prices were reasonable given the ambiance and creative menu. If you're staying at the Sandpearl, give this a shot!Special Features:
- a must do restaurantlilrecksterDined on 10/20/2014We have been to Carettas about a half dozen times. We vacation in Florida twice a year and always dine at Carettas. We enjoy fine dining, great atmosphere, great views, good service, and excellent wine. It's all there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classiest place in Clearwater beachCateyzDined on 10/17/2014Great for locals not just hotel guests- get there early for dinner to catch the sunsetSpecial Features:
- 2nd time as awesome as firstBadDadDined on 10/16/2014This was the second time my wife and I have eaten at Caretta. Both times, we've eaten on the outside, second floor patio with the amazing view of the beach and another perfect sunset. I've read reviews about the noise near the bar area. It is quiet and beautiful outside. Obviously, weather is a factor. The food quality has been superior. Service has also been superior. Both of our visits were for dinner on weeknights, so weekends may be a different experience. For all around scenery, food quality, and service, this is number one on my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine food with scenic viewmartieVIPDined on 10/16/2014I enjoyed my lunch immensely. It was a perfect day to sit on their terrace overlooking the resort's swimming pool and the Gulf. The menu had a good variety. The salad was fine, being a platter of various items of produce next to rare tuna. The combination of tuna, olives, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans and lettuce was tasty and the salad dressing and mustard added. Service was very good, and the view of resort patrons enjoying their time outdoors was very pleasant. The dining rooms for groups are worth remembering.Special Features:
- Top Notch Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014The evening began well with the restaurant called to confirm our reservation. The check in personnel went out of the way to ensure that the table was to our satisfaction. The wait staff fulled explained the menu and what went into each item and answered all our questions. The service was top-of-the-line but the food far surpassed the service. Each item was prepared as we ordered it and the tastes were out of this world. Dessert was as delicious as the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayNanaherrDined on 10/11/2014My family dined there the second Saturday in October. All I can say is that Caretta's is excellent! Everything was top notch. Even though it's pricey, it was worth the extra dollars for 5 star dinning. The hostess & wait staff were extremely friendly & helpful. Our meals were all just delicious. Started with sushi rolls, cesar salad, one snapper, 2 steaks & finally the signature cake. The fresh vegetables are perpared to perfection. Hopefully we'll be able to return again for another amazing dinner celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarettabeachbumDined on 10/8/2014I have been at Caretta before and it lived up to my expectations! My business guests found it a great place to view the beach in a relaxed comfortable atmosphere. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable. Well worth a visit!!!Special Features:
- Great experienceluvgoodfoodDined on 10/7/2014We are from Nashville and knew we would be in the area for our anniversary on 10/7, so I made dinner reservations at Caretta on the Gulf. We were not disappointed. The resort was beautiful. We arrived a little early, so we gave ourselves a tour of the resort. Once our reservation time arrived, we made our way to the hostess stand where we were warmly greeted and led to our table The view are amazing. The food was outstanding. We had the Veal porterhouse and the Black Grouper. Both were awesome. The service was top notch. The ONLY reason I gave the "ambiance" 4 stars and not 5 is due to the close proximity of the lounge area of the restaurant to the dining area. There were a large amount of people in the lounge and they were loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itLuvdbucsDined on 10/4/2014Been here many times and always have a wonderful time. The food is hit or miss...mostly hit but still worth noting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second outing poorOldergentlemanVIPDined on 10/3/2014Tried this restaurant on vacation. One night it was lovely so we went back to try it out again. The second outing service was not great, food was not great, would not recommend because it could be great or poor depending
- Great RestaurantAgabandersonDined on 9/26/2014Very nice restaurant with great food and wonderful service. Lots of little extras compliments of the chef. Food was amazing! The only disappointment was how loud it was. We went for our anniversary and was looking for a more quiet atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- won't be backmdsjrDined on 9/25/2014The experience was amazing, service was excellent but the impeccable, romantic evening turned into a sports bar scene with guests of the hotel watching the game and extremely loud & obnoxiousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep Caretta Website UpdatedSunnyDined on 9/23/2014Prior to our checking in at the Sand Pearl, I took a look at the menu on-line for the Caretta. The selection of seafood when I checked on-line Sept. 23 was not the same as what was presented later that night at the restaurant. In fact, as of today, Sept. 25, the on-line menu is still the same as what I saw on Sept. 23, and is not what is on the actual restaurant menu. My husband and I wanted the Halibut dinner that was listed. When we arrived at the restaurant, Halibut was not listed - nor was the Swordfish. Our waiter stated that Halibut hadn't been on the menu for awhile. I settled for Sea Bass which was okay - my husband had the Veal Porterhouse, which he commented was "tough". So I guess we were disappointed with our dinner.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014impeccable service, dishes were delicious, and sushi was world class.Special Features:
- ExcellentExcellentVIPDined on 9/7/2014This place has it figured out Very enjoyable experience Everything was perfectSpecial Features:
- Weekend Getaway DinnerAli1227Dined on 9/6/2014I would absolutely recommend Caretta on the Gulf and also would go back on a future visit - even if we were not staying at the Sandpearl Resort. View/food/service and ambiance were just perfect. I can't think of one thing I would change. Be sure to plan your dinner at sunset - it is a perfect backdrop for your meal.Special Features:
- Absolutley AmazingJaimeandMichael0204Dined on 9/4/2014As a result of my now fiance excepting my proposal, we had an excellent and romantic dinner. Our waiter was spectacular as was the food and service from the time we walked in till we left. I thank you all for making our anniversary AND engagement dinner a tuely memorable one!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeGrandpawillyDined on 9/3/2014Caretta has become our choice for a special night out in the Tampa Bay area. The food is wonderful, the service great. But it's the view out the window that takes your breath away, especially at sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak, not that good seafoodGiDizDined on 8/31/2014I went on a busy weekend night with my husband and friends. The service was excellent. The ambience was great. The food was not that consistent. As for appetizers we ordered from the sushi menu an it was excellent. As for main course, me an my husbansd shared a Tomahawk and it was great. My friends orderd seafood and suprisingly it was not good, it was tasteless. The dessert was good ( not great) but I would have been better that our waitress had told us that the chocolate cake was enough for all of us at the table and so we could have ordered only one piece not the two pieces we ordered. Overall, I would return only for the sushi and the steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid holiday weekends!WindwooDined on 8/31/2014This is a beautiful spot and food was delicious; however , traffic was horrible with people trying to get to beach and the hotel was completely out of parking so we had to park three blocks away and walk. And that would not have been bad except the hotel told us no shorts, flips flops or jeans so we were decked out in heels, dresses and slacks! What's worse is there were people in the restaurant kids in gym clothes, men in shorts etc!! We were not happy and felt very over dressed and out of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!!sjhavInVIPDined on 8/30/2014They have one of the best crab cakes around. The food is succulent and very flavorful. The chef and the entire staff are excellent. They make the experience special. Love it and will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Amazing ExperiancescooterbuddysDined on 8/30/2014This location had been recommended to me and my wife and I were staying a short walk away on Clearwater Beach at the Hilton. We were celebrating my 66th birthday and I made a reservation and so glad we did. Todd was our waiter who had recently spent time in Napa, CA for Sommeliers training and gave us some great tips on where to find great inexpensive wines. His explanation of the menu items and recommendations were dead on. The Wedge Salad is fantastic and I had the Lamb Filet and wife had the Short Rib entrée - they were both fantastic and we have already recommended this restaurant to several people and will definitely return ourselves.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceDavidBDined on 8/25/2014The best food and service on Clearwater Beach. The staff are knowledgeable about the menu and the ingredients used. This is a very vegetarian or vegan friendly restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night!KYDinersDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I enjoyed one of the most perfect nights at the Caretta on the Gulf. From the start the employees were amazing and well attentive. The restaurant is gorgeous and we were able to sit at a window seat and watch the sunset as well as a group of dolphins playing out in the ocean which was a great site to watch during dinner. The waiter we had was perfect, he knew everything on the menu by heart and gave excellent recommendations, along with being very sociable and making us feel more at ease. All that was great but the best part of the night was the food (We shared a Surf and Turf Roll, I had the Lobster and my wife had the Wedge Salad and Pad Thai), which was a culinary treat. We are already planning to go back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation IssuesShowwalterVIPDined on 8/23/2014My only complaint was reservation problems..now 3 times in a row, (and 4 times out of the last 7 visits, it also happened when I went with a group of 8, but I was not the one who made the reservation that time, but Caretta's had it wrong that time too),..each time I've had to pull up my open table reservation confirmation on my smart phone and show the hostess..Apparently keeping track of reservations is not something they are good at..... My advice, even if they call to confirm, (which they do the day of the reservation, they still manage to screw it up) make sure you have a copy of your reservation confirmation with you when you arrive...Food and service are both very good Corkage fee of $30 is the highest in the Tampa Bay Area,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and Gulf ViewPapaDined on 8/23/2014We took two of our kids and their spouses out for their annivsary. The gulf view and seeing the sunset through the huge windows was awesome! The food, service and wine list as usual was great so consistency at Caretta's, as we have discovered, is very dependable. It's the finest restrauant on Clearwater Beach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good View, that is all!JoecDined on 8/23/2014I wish I could say more good things about this restaurant but the only redeeming virtue is the view! The food and service leave much to be desired for the prices that they charge...the do make a good cocktail!Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceDeanna23Dined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is lovely. The setting, the food and service were top notice. Everything we had was delicious and it was a perfect place to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday.Special Features:
- Food just badOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014Great location and view. Promising decor on entry. Attentive service. The worst fish entree I have had in years. That overshadows everything. Trying to find a positive, the salad was ok. If you have a chance to eat here, don't. If you must avoid the fish at all costs (grouper I think, but you wouldn't know that from eating it).
- SunsetAshleyDined on 8/20/2014We wanted to watch the sunset while enjoying dinner. We had a wonderful view and delicious dinner. It felt like a mini vacation on a Wednesday night! Our server was attentive but not over bearing. Thanks for a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SLV04Dined on 8/18/2014Great view of sunset while dining for dinner. Filet and Sea Bass were cooked perfectly and delicious!Special Features:
- Ultimate sunset diningWineNdineDined on 8/15/2014No complaints! From Robby the bartender, to Russ, our dining room server, the experience was outstanding and the food....incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Robert Paivaunhappy3Dined on 8/11/2014We were extremely disappointed with Caretta. I had the pork chop cooked medium and the temperature was fine but taste was not. It had a very gamey taste verging on spoiling. My wife had the braised short ribs and again, not enjoyable, they were dry, did not have any juice , and were hard to swallow. She left a good portion of her dinner in the plate. The service was terrible and very slow. We waited about 25 minutes for our soup and salads and then an hour for our dinner. I did not complain because our server was no where to be found, and by the time we did see him our appetites were lost and we just wanted to leave. Shame on Caretta because they should know better than to serve bad meals. Our meal cost us over $200.00.Special Features:
- OUSTANDING!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014What an amazing experience this was! Excellent food, outstanding views, great atmosphere, and impressive wine list! Our server, Lance, deserves 10 stars! We will be back, and will recommend all friends & family try it as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but....ChsdallenDined on 7/26/2014All was excellent but considered it a bit overpriced. Especially cork fee....Special Features:
- fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014A must during your visit to Clearwater. Michael and all the staff was great. The food, ambiance and view couldn't be beat. The presentation was superb. We could eat every meal here and be very happy! We're looking forward to Sunday brunch this morning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summertime at the BeachOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014When dining at a nice restaurant, I prefer a quiet ambience. I'm not sure why it did not dawn on me that it was summertime on Clearwater Beach, so this resort was teeming with children. The food was good, but not great. Our server, Michael, was personable and tolerant, but not real knowledgeable about the good wines. They have a decent wine list (we enjoyed a 2008 Rubicon Estate Cabernet), but their selection of European vintages was skimpy. About 10, a live band cranked up in the dining room. Fortunately, my party and I were ready to depart. This not what I look for in a true upscale venue. We had an enjoyable time, but I would seek something different in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionBabeDined on 7/18/2014Caretta was recommended by a friend for a sunset and great restaurant to celebrate birthdays. Cocktail bar service outside before dinner was excellent along with the view. Dining room was very well done. Food was outstanding and a very good wine list. Service was also very good. would love to go back and stay at the property and use this restaurant again.Special Features:
- comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Went for anniversary, and was very impressed with all aspects, from reservation, splendid menu ,informed waiters, and even valet provided. See them next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.