Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
500 Mandalay Avenue
Clearwater Beach, FL 33767Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sandpearl.com/Resort/Dining_Fine_Clearwater_Hotel_SandPearl.asp
- Phone: 7276744171
- Hours of Operation:
Daily Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am Sunday Brunch 11:30-2:30pm Lunch Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Daily Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Latsha
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private dining rooms. One wine room that seats up to twelve. Also a private dining room that seats up to thirty-six.
- Private Party Contact: Chloe Henry 7276744125
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment Friday and Saturday nights in our lounge. Call 727-674-4109 for schedule.
- Special Events: All You Can Eat Sushi! Every Wednesday evening from 5:00-7:00 in our lounge $20 per person. Sunset Hour at Caretta on the Gulf - every evening, the hour before sunset, we celebrate at Caretta's by offering Veuve Clicquot Champagne Half Off.
A word from Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
Seasonally inspired cuisine is at the heart of Sandpearl Resort’s signature dining experience, Caretta on the Gulf. Our world-class chefs’ desire to please and surprise means the menu is prepared with infusions of South American, Caribbean and other international inspirations offering a broad selection of memorable cuisine. The Ceviche, Sushi and Raw Bar offers a fresh daily selection of local seafood. A wood-burning oven opens up a myriad of rustic dining selections. A wine room provides an intimate space for special events and tastings, with an extensive collection of wines from around the world. Take your seat among Caretta’s inspiring surroundings perched two levels above the beach with indoor and outdoor seating to view brilliant sunsets that set the scene for the most whimsical of culinary cravings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort - Best Restaurants in Clearwater ›
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (76)special occasion (62)romantic (56)notable wine list (32)great for outdoor dining (30)fit for foodies (30)good for groups (25)great for brunch (24)neighborhood gem (15)hot spot (11)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (9)Show More
- Weekend Getaway DinnerAli1227Dined on 9/6/2014I would absolutely recommend Caretta on the Gulf and also would go back on a future visit - even if we were not staying at the Sandpearl Resort. View/food/service and ambiance were just perfect. I can't think of one thing I would change. Be sure to plan your dinner at sunset - it is a perfect backdrop for your meal.Special Features:
- Absolutley AmazingJaimeandMichael0204Dined on 9/4/2014As a result of my now fiance excepting my proposal, we had an excellent and romantic dinner. Our waiter was spectacular as was the food and service from the time we walked in till we left. I thank you all for making our anniversary AND engagement dinner a tuely memorable one!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeGrandpawillyDined on 9/3/2014Caretta has become our choice for a special night out in the Tampa Bay area. The food is wonderful, the service great. But it's the view out the window that takes your breath away, especially at sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak, not that good seafoodGiDizDined on 8/31/2014I went on a busy weekend night with my husband and friends. The service was excellent. The ambience was great. The food was not that consistent. As for appetizers we ordered from the sushi menu an it was excellent. As for main course, me an my husbansd shared a Tomahawk and it was great. My friends orderd seafood and suprisingly it was not good, it was tasteless. The dessert was good ( not great) but I would have been better that our waitress had told us that the chocolate cake was enough for all of us at the table and so we could have ordered only one piece not the two pieces we ordered. Overall, I would return only for the sushi and the steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid holiday weekends!WindwooDined on 8/31/2014This is a beautiful spot and food was delicious; however , traffic was horrible with people trying to get to beach and the hotel was completely out of parking so we had to park three blocks away and walk. And that would not have been bad except the hotel told us no shorts, flips flops or jeans so we were decked out in heels, dresses and slacks! What's worse is there were people in the restaurant kids in gym clothes, men in shorts etc!! We were not happy and felt very over dressed and out of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!!sjhavInVIPDined on 8/30/2014They have one of the best crab cakes around. The food is succulent and very flavorful. The chef and the entire staff are excellent. They make the experience special. Love it and will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Amazing ExperiancescooterbuddysDined on 8/30/2014This location had been recommended to me and my wife and I were staying a short walk away on Clearwater Beach at the Hilton. We were celebrating my 66th birthday and I made a reservation and so glad we did. Todd was our waiter who had recently spent time in Napa, CA for Sommeliers training and gave us some great tips on where to find great inexpensive wines. His explanation of the menu items and recommendations were dead on. The Wedge Salad is fantastic and I had the Lamb Filet and wife had the Short Rib entrée - they were both fantastic and we have already recommended this restaurant to several people and will definitely return ourselves.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceDavidBDined on 8/25/2014The best food and service on Clearwater Beach. The staff are knowledgeable about the menu and the ingredients used. This is a very vegetarian or vegan friendly restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night!KYDinersDined on 8/24/2014My wife and I enjoyed one of the most perfect nights at the Caretta on the Gulf. From the start the employees were amazing and well attentive. The restaurant is gorgeous and we were able to sit at a window seat and watch the sunset as well as a group of dolphins playing out in the ocean which was a great site to watch during dinner. The waiter we had was perfect, he knew everything on the menu by heart and gave excellent recommendations, along with being very sociable and making us feel more at ease. All that was great but the best part of the night was the food (We shared a Surf and Turf Roll, I had the Lobster and my wife had the Wedge Salad and Pad Thai), which was a culinary treat. We are already planning to go back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation IssuesShowwalterVIPDined on 8/23/2014My only complaint was reservation problems..now 3 times in a row, (and 4 times out of the last 7 visits, it also happened when I went with a group of 8, but I was not the one who made the reservation that time, but Caretta's had it wrong that time too),..each time I've had to pull up my open table reservation confirmation on my smart phone and show the hostess..Apparently keeping track of reservations is not something they are good at..... My advice, even if they call to confirm, (which they do the day of the reservation, they still manage to screw it up) make sure you have a copy of your reservation confirmation with you when you arrive...Food and service are both very good Corkage fee of $30 is the highest in the Tampa Bay Area,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and Gulf ViewPapaDined on 8/23/2014We took two of our kids and their spouses out for their annivsary. The gulf view and seeing the sunset through the huge windows was awesome! The food, service and wine list as usual was great so consistency at Caretta's, as we have discovered, is very dependable. It's the finest restrauant on Clearwater Beach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good View, that is all!JoecDined on 8/23/2014I wish I could say more good things about this restaurant but the only redeeming virtue is the view! The food and service leave much to be desired for the prices that they charge...the do make a good cocktail!Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceDeanna23Dined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is lovely. The setting, the food and service were top notice. Everything we had was delicious and it was a perfect place to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday.Special Features:
- Food just badOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014Great location and view. Promising decor on entry. Attentive service. The worst fish entree I have had in years. That overshadows everything. Trying to find a positive, the salad was ok. If you have a chance to eat here, don't. If you must avoid the fish at all costs (grouper I think, but you wouldn't know that from eating it).
- SunsetAshleyDined on 8/20/2014We wanted to watch the sunset while enjoying dinner. We had a wonderful view and delicious dinner. It felt like a mini vacation on a Wednesday night! Our server was attentive but not over bearing. Thanks for a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SLV04Dined on 8/18/2014Great view of sunset while dining for dinner. Filet and Sea Bass were cooked perfectly and delicious!Special Features:
- Ultimate sunset diningWineNdineDined on 8/15/2014No complaints! From Robby the bartender, to Russ, our dining room server, the experience was outstanding and the food....incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Robert Paivaunhappy3Dined on 8/11/2014We were extremely disappointed with Caretta. I had the pork chop cooked medium and the temperature was fine but taste was not. It had a very gamey taste verging on spoiling. My wife had the braised short ribs and again, not enjoyable, they were dry, did not have any juice , and were hard to swallow. She left a good portion of her dinner in the plate. The service was terrible and very slow. We waited about 25 minutes for our soup and salads and then an hour for our dinner. I did not complain because our server was no where to be found, and by the time we did see him our appetites were lost and we just wanted to leave. Shame on Caretta because they should know better than to serve bad meals. Our meal cost us over $200.00.Special Features:
- OUSTANDING!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014What an amazing experience this was! Excellent food, outstanding views, great atmosphere, and impressive wine list! Our server, Lance, deserves 10 stars! We will be back, and will recommend all friends & family try it as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but....ChsdallenDined on 7/26/2014All was excellent but considered it a bit overpriced. Especially cork fee....Special Features:
- fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014A must during your visit to Clearwater. Michael and all the staff was great. The food, ambiance and view couldn't be beat. The presentation was superb. We could eat every meal here and be very happy! We're looking forward to Sunday brunch this morning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summertime at the BeachOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014When dining at a nice restaurant, I prefer a quiet ambience. I'm not sure why it did not dawn on me that it was summertime on Clearwater Beach, so this resort was teeming with children. The food was good, but not great. Our server, Michael, was personable and tolerant, but not real knowledgeable about the good wines. They have a decent wine list (we enjoyed a 2008 Rubicon Estate Cabernet), but their selection of European vintages was skimpy. About 10, a live band cranked up in the dining room. Fortunately, my party and I were ready to depart. This not what I look for in a true upscale venue. We had an enjoyable time, but I would seek something different in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionBabeDined on 7/18/2014Caretta was recommended by a friend for a sunset and great restaurant to celebrate birthdays. Cocktail bar service outside before dinner was excellent along with the view. Dining room was very well done. Food was outstanding and a very good wine list. Service was also very good. would love to go back and stay at the property and use this restaurant again.Special Features:
- comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Went for anniversary, and was very impressed with all aspects, from reservation, splendid menu ,informed waiters, and even valet provided. See them next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014We ordered steak, seemed a bit over salted; Tasted like table salt rather than sea salt. Profiterole desert was great.Special Features:
- TABLE4TWODined on 7/9/2014Everything about this dining experience was 5 Star Plus. Getting a response from the restaurant, big minus 10. Made a 6PM OpenTable Reservation. I called the restaurant at 3PM, I had some questions about the restaurant. I received a recording that stated the hostess was on the phone with another guess, please leave your name and number someone would call me back. I called back three different times, no luck no call back. I called the Hotel Front Desk, they told me that they do not take calls between 2:30 & 5:30 PM. Called back at 5:35 and 5:40 no answer, no one ever called me back. I almost canceled our reservation, I am glad I did not. The food was outstanding, our server Sandra was impeccable and the view of the ocean very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disappointmentCharlierVIPDined on 7/9/2014I made a lunch reservation for 6 but we ended up with 7 which seemed to throw the restaurant off. First there was no one at the host station when we arrived. The lady serving as host gave me the impression that we were an inconvenience and could wait until she was ready. We had a beautiful table overlooking Clearwater beach. The young man who served water frisbeed the coasters across the table. Sp e of our party had hamburgers none of which were cooked as ordered. My lobster roll was great but the french fries that came with it were cold. When service is this mediocre it is a sign of poor management we are not likely to return as there are many local restaurants that want to provide more than a view.
- Caretta's eveningPerfection2DineDined on 7/7/2014Had a wonderful evening at Carreta's, great service, diverse menu, delicious food, a positive experience for our party of 5. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Hotel RestaurantTodd1961VIPDined on 7/6/2014I wanted to write a review because we had three meals at this restaurant and all were excellent in terms of value and service. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody traveling out to Clearwater Beach. If you are looking for a great meal that doesn't involve and entire menu of fried food, yet still accommodates your entire family this is the place. So put on your best dress or chinos or jeans and make the trek if you aren't staying at the hotel, it will be worth your walk or drive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Beautiful view. Average food. Extremely pricey for quality of food.Special Features:
- Great experiencePSUAlum91Dined on 6/29/2014Dined at Caretta for our 20th Anniversay. Asked for a sunset view and our table was next to a window overlooking the water where we were able to enjoy the magnificent sunset. Our server was friendly and she was knowledgeable of the menu and preparations. The food was outstanding. I started with a special that night, a Surf and Turf sushi roll and my wife had Scallops, both beautifully plated and delicious. My Black Grouper entree, along with my wife's Red Snapper were also nicely plated and equally delicious. My wife ended with the Vanilla Bean Brûlée, which was presented with an edible 'Happy Anniversary' note. I decided on a glass of Cockburn 20 Year Tawny for our 20th Anniversay, which was the perfect ending to an incredible dinner!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014Wonderful Food and outstanding service! My boyfriend and I dined here on his first visit to Clearwater Beach. I had eaten here before and was again very satisfied! The view is gorgeous! We will be back.Special Features:
- Dinner was WonderfulOdessianDined on 6/21/2014The Snapper was tender with a mild, sweet flavor and was not smothered in an over-spiced sauce. The Wedge salad was delicious. Our server was very attentive, engaging, and attended to my special dietary needs. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxing and great for conversation (soft music and we did not feel rushed at all). All the tables in the dining room have a spectacular view of the beach, the Gulf, and the sunset. We have lived on the west coast of Florida for over 20 years and Caretta's on the Gulf is our favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- FairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014The view is fantastic, especially if you can get a window seat, but the host is not very accommodating at all and the food looked a lot better than it tasted. The spicy sushi was overly spicy and the fish was over-cooked, but the waiter was very friendly and enthusiastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TihueDined on 6/15/2014Quite pricey but food was off the charts gormet an view of beach spectacular.Special Features:
- Beautiful view, yummy too.kognytoDined on 6/15/2014Brunch was great, though I think they could benefit from setting up the brunch a different way. seperating the foods into different rooms is okay if guests know that an empty room has food to offer as well. I think the brunch would look heartier if it were kept to a minimum of two - three rooms. The champaigne was good, and the food was delicious, especially the ceviche and the prime rib. Kudos on the food and the view. The wait staff is good, but not highly polished. If this improved, the restaurant may have a packed house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but far from greatGoordoDined on 6/14/2014As a local I compare Caretta against other restaurants in there group Cafe Ponte and others. Caratta connotation compare food wise but view and overall smbuince it's great expensiveSpecial Features:
- ExcellencethenxtgoldbergDined on 6/10/2014I was looking to take my wife out for a nice dinner, 4 - 5 star food. The food was VERY good, very different in some aspects. Presentation fantastic as well. Also, very interesting drink menu. Our server explained that the menu changes 4 times a year, and in all honesty, I think I would go back just to see what else is offered at a different time of year or even season. Wine list had some very A list selections... SERVICE WAS GREAT! I can't say enough about this place. Different tastes, nice atmosphere, great view, even better service.. One thing I will say, you get a lot for your money. As well, while I was hoping for 5 star food, even though it was very good, I wish I could give it 5 stars. As an overall, 4 - 4.5 stars on the food.Special Features:
- Better than the last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014The menu has been upgraded since the last time we visited this restaurant. Entrees are full meals rather than Ala-cart. The lamb ribeye selection was very good. Along with the excellent menu is the view of the Gulf.Special Features:
- Great dinner with a viewdb23Dined on 6/1/2014We celebrated our 47th anniversary and both really enjoyed Caretta on the Gulf. One of the highlights was the service, especially Alissa. Very friendly, enthusiastic about the menu and gave us very good service throughout the meal. The view of the gulf as we walked in set the stage, but the dinner was the real treat. My wife had the local caught grouper which was good, but my Lamb Steak over marscapone polenta was outstanding! The wine list overall was very good, but I was especially impressed with the offerings by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.