Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
500 Mandalay Avenue
Clearwater Beach, FL 33767Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sandpearl.com/Resort/Dining_Fine_Clearwater_Hotel_SandPearl.asp
- Phone: (727) 674-4171
- Hours of Operation:
Daily Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am Sunday Brunch 11:30-2:30pm Lunch Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Daily Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Latsha
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private dining rooms. One wine room that seats up to twelve. Also a private dining room that seats up to thirty-six.
- Private Party Contact: Chloe Henry 7276744125
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment Friday and Saturday nights in our lounge. Call 727-674-4109 for schedule.
- Special Events: All You Can Eat Sushi! Every Wednesday evening from 5:00-7:00 in our lounge $20 per person. Sunset Hour at Caretta on the Gulf - every evening, the hour before sunset, we celebrate at Caretta's by offering Veuve Clicquot Champagne Half Off.
A word from Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
Seasonally inspired cuisine is at the heart of Sandpearl Resort’s signature dining experience, Caretta on the Gulf. Our world-class chefs’ desire to please and surprise means the menu is prepared with infusions of South American, Caribbean and other international inspirations offering a broad selection of memorable cuisine. The Ceviche, Sushi and Raw Bar offers a fresh daily selection of local seafood. A wood-burning oven opens up a myriad of rustic dining selections. A wine room provides an intimate space for special events and tastings, with an extensive collection of wines from around the world. Take your seat among Caretta’s inspiring surroundings perched two levels above the beach with indoor and outdoor seating to view brilliant sunsets that set the scene for the most whimsical of culinary cravings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort - Best Restaurants in Clearwater ›
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (69)special occasion (60)romantic (56)fit for foodies (42)great for outdoor dining (33)notable wine list (28)good for groups (24)great for brunch (18)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (10)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- SLV04Dined on 8/18/2014Great view of sunset while dining for dinner. Filet and Sea Bass were cooked perfectly and delicious!Special Features:
- Ultimate sunset diningWineNdineDined on 8/15/2014No complaints! From Robby the bartender, to Russ, our dining room server, the experience was outstanding and the food....incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Robert Paivaunhappy3Dined on 8/11/2014We were extremely disappointed with Caretta. I had the pork chop cooked medium and the temperature was fine but taste was not. It had a very gamey taste verging on spoiling. My wife had the braised short ribs and again, not enjoyable, they were dry, did not have any juice , and were hard to swallow. She left a good portion of her dinner in the plate. The service was terrible and very slow. We waited about 25 minutes for our soup and salads and then an hour for our dinner. I did not complain because our server was no where to be found, and by the time we did see him our appetites were lost and we just wanted to leave. Shame on Caretta because they should know better than to serve bad meals. Our meal cost us over $200.00.Special Features:
- OUSTANDING!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014What an amazing experience this was! Excellent food, outstanding views, great atmosphere, and impressive wine list! Our server, Lance, deserves 10 stars! We will be back, and will recommend all friends & family try it as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but....ChsdallenDined on 7/26/2014All was excellent but considered it a bit overpriced. Especially cork fee....Special Features:
- The following 520 reviews are from the Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort reviews archive.
- fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014A must during your visit to Clearwater. Michael and all the staff was great. The food, ambiance and view couldn't be beat. The presentation was superb. We could eat every meal here and be very happy! We're looking forward to Sunday brunch this morning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summertime at the BeachOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014When dining at a nice restaurant, I prefer a quiet ambience. I'm not sure why it did not dawn on me that it was summertime on Clearwater Beach, so this resort was teeming with children. The food was good, but not great. Our server, Michael, was personable and tolerant, but not real knowledgeable about the good wines. They have a decent wine list (we enjoyed a 2008 Rubicon Estate Cabernet), but their selection of European vintages was skimpy. About 10, a live band cranked up in the dining room. Fortunately, my party and I were ready to depart. This not what I look for in a true upscale venue. We had an enjoyable time, but I would seek something different in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionBabeDined on 7/18/2014Caretta was recommended by a friend for a sunset and great restaurant to celebrate birthdays. Cocktail bar service outside before dinner was excellent along with the view. Dining room was very well done. Food was outstanding and a very good wine list. Service was also very good. would love to go back and stay at the property and use this restaurant again.Special Features:
- comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Went for anniversary, and was very impressed with all aspects, from reservation, splendid menu ,informed waiters, and even valet provided. See them next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014We ordered steak, seemed a bit over salted; Tasted like table salt rather than sea salt. Profiterole desert was great.Special Features:
- TABLE4TWODined on 7/9/2014Everything about this dining experience was 5 Star Plus. Getting a response from the restaurant, big minus 10. Made a 6PM OpenTable Reservation. I called the restaurant at 3PM, I had some questions about the restaurant. I received a recording that stated the hostess was on the phone with another guess, please leave your name and number someone would call me back. I called back three different times, no luck no call back. I called the Hotel Front Desk, they told me that they do not take calls between 2:30 & 5:30 PM. Called back at 5:35 and 5:40 no answer, no one ever called me back. I almost canceled our reservation, I am glad I did not. The food was outstanding, our server Sandra was impeccable and the view of the ocean very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disappointmentCharlierVIPDined on 7/9/2014I made a lunch reservation for 6 but we ended up with 7 which seemed to throw the restaurant off. First there was no one at the host station when we arrived. The lady serving as host gave me the impression that we were an inconvenience and could wait until she was ready. We had a beautiful table overlooking Clearwater beach. The young man who served water frisbeed the coasters across the table. Sp e of our party had hamburgers none of which were cooked as ordered. My lobster roll was great but the french fries that came with it were cold. When service is this mediocre it is a sign of poor management we are not likely to return as there are many local restaurants that want to provide more than a view.
- Caretta's eveningPerfection2DineDined on 7/7/2014Had a wonderful evening at Carreta's, great service, diverse menu, delicious food, a positive experience for our party of 5. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Hotel RestaurantTodd1961VIPDined on 7/6/2014I wanted to write a review because we had three meals at this restaurant and all were excellent in terms of value and service. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody traveling out to Clearwater Beach. If you are looking for a great meal that doesn't involve and entire menu of fried food, yet still accommodates your entire family this is the place. So put on your best dress or chinos or jeans and make the trek if you aren't staying at the hotel, it will be worth your walk or drive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Beautiful view. Average food. Extremely pricey for quality of food.Special Features:
- Great experiencePSUAlum91Dined on 6/29/2014Dined at Caretta for our 20th Anniversay. Asked for a sunset view and our table was next to a window overlooking the water where we were able to enjoy the magnificent sunset. Our server was friendly and she was knowledgeable of the menu and preparations. The food was outstanding. I started with a special that night, a Surf and Turf sushi roll and my wife had Scallops, both beautifully plated and delicious. My Black Grouper entree, along with my wife's Red Snapper were also nicely plated and equally delicious. My wife ended with the Vanilla Bean Brûlée, which was presented with an edible 'Happy Anniversary' note. I decided on a glass of Cockburn 20 Year Tawny for our 20th Anniversay, which was the perfect ending to an incredible dinner!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014Wonderful Food and outstanding service! My boyfriend and I dined here on his first visit to Clearwater Beach. I had eaten here before and was again very satisfied! The view is gorgeous! We will be back.Special Features:
- Dinner was WonderfulOdessianDined on 6/21/2014The Snapper was tender with a mild, sweet flavor and was not smothered in an over-spiced sauce. The Wedge salad was delicious. Our server was very attentive, engaging, and attended to my special dietary needs. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxing and great for conversation (soft music and we did not feel rushed at all). All the tables in the dining room have a spectacular view of the beach, the Gulf, and the sunset. We have lived on the west coast of Florida for over 20 years and Caretta's on the Gulf is our favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- FairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014The view is fantastic, especially if you can get a window seat, but the host is not very accommodating at all and the food looked a lot better than it tasted. The spicy sushi was overly spicy and the fish was over-cooked, but the waiter was very friendly and enthusiastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TihueDined on 6/15/2014Quite pricey but food was off the charts gormet an view of beach spectacular.Special Features:
- Beautiful view, yummy too.kognytoDined on 6/15/2014Brunch was great, though I think they could benefit from setting up the brunch a different way. seperating the foods into different rooms is okay if guests know that an empty room has food to offer as well. I think the brunch would look heartier if it were kept to a minimum of two - three rooms. The champaigne was good, and the food was delicious, especially the ceviche and the prime rib. Kudos on the food and the view. The wait staff is good, but not highly polished. If this improved, the restaurant may have a packed house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but far from greatGoordoDined on 6/14/2014As a local I compare Caretta against other restaurants in there group Cafe Ponte and others. Caratta connotation compare food wise but view and overall smbuince it's great expensiveSpecial Features:
- ExcellencethenxtgoldbergDined on 6/10/2014I was looking to take my wife out for a nice dinner, 4 - 5 star food. The food was VERY good, very different in some aspects. Presentation fantastic as well. Also, very interesting drink menu. Our server explained that the menu changes 4 times a year, and in all honesty, I think I would go back just to see what else is offered at a different time of year or even season. Wine list had some very A list selections... SERVICE WAS GREAT! I can't say enough about this place. Different tastes, nice atmosphere, great view, even better service.. One thing I will say, you get a lot for your money. As well, while I was hoping for 5 star food, even though it was very good, I wish I could give it 5 stars. As an overall, 4 - 4.5 stars on the food.Special Features:
- Better than the last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014The menu has been upgraded since the last time we visited this restaurant. Entrees are full meals rather than Ala-cart. The lamb ribeye selection was very good. Along with the excellent menu is the view of the Gulf.Special Features:
- Great dinner with a viewdb23Dined on 6/1/2014We celebrated our 47th anniversary and both really enjoyed Caretta on the Gulf. One of the highlights was the service, especially Alissa. Very friendly, enthusiastic about the menu and gave us very good service throughout the meal. The view of the gulf as we walked in set the stage, but the dinner was the real treat. My wife had the local caught grouper which was good, but my Lamb Steak over marscapone polenta was outstanding! The wine list overall was very good, but I was especially impressed with the offerings by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceTMPNDined on 6/1/2014I am sad to admit that this was a 2nd choice for a birthday dinner - our 1st is closed for renovations. However, I have held private very high-level private dinners here (they're private dining room is one of the best on the entire beach from St. Pete all the way down to Clearwater) and their Sunday Brunch (excellent). The dinner was perfect - we were seated at a perfect beach view and the menu that evening included a prix fixe meal priced perfectly at $55. The portions were generous and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Brunch Was ExceptionalAdamVIPDined on 6/1/2014Fantastic Brunch. Their seafood, sushi, and omelet stations were outstanding. An exceptional value for brunch! Their regular buffet items were good. I have been to Caretta's many times, but this was my first brunch experience. I will be back. Oystercatchers is my favorite brunch spot, but at almost twice the price of Caretta's (which has 85-90% of the service, food, and atmosphere), I am a new devotee to Sunday Brunch at Clearwater Beach.Special Features:
- Solid food,great atmosphere+serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2014Menu interesting, food good, but not blow you away. Awesome view of sunset, particularly from outside tables. Service excellent. Go for atmosphere, wine and service and accept food will only be average for priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2014Caretta on the Gulf is absolutely the best place to watch the sunset in Clearwater Beach!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/21/2014The servers and everyone at the restaurant were fabulous. Dining on the patio at sunset was the most romantic experience of our lives. We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary on this trip and we had the best time. The food was fantastic at both dinner and lunch and the Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningRubyDined on 5/19/2014A special event for us, just 2 of us went on a week night so it was romantic in a beautiful setting with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honeymoon DinnerChrisLondonDined on 5/18/2014We noticed this restaurant online, when looking for somewhere special to eat in an amazing location, and it couldn't of been better. They sat us where we requested and being sat outside for dinner we managed to catch the sunset which is amazing. This restaurant is in a fantastic location and is great for a romantic dinner and the cocktails are fab!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014The brunch exceeded our expectations dramatically. The food, service and views were the best in the Tampa Bay region.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014excellent food for mom and dad, worked for kids but not a big a selection for an 8 and 10 yr old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING SERVICES AND FOODCarmenDined on 5/17/2014WE RESERVED A TABLE FOR OUR 13 YEARS ANNIVERSARY AT THIS RESTAURANT, AND IT WAS SUPERB EXPERIENCE. WE CAME ALL THE WAY FROM ST PETERSBURG, ONE HOUR DRIVING, AND I WILL DO THIS DRIVE AGAIN FOR THIS TYPE OF SERVICES AND MEAL. COMPLIMENTS TO THE CHEF, EVERY MEAL WE TRY WAS PERFECT, AND MOST COMPLIMENTS TO MICHAEL OUR SERVER, AND LANCE WHO ALSO TOOK CARE OF US. IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE, A MAGIC NIGHT, AND YOUR PLACE MADE IT VERY SPECIAL. TO THE WHOLE CREW AND STAFF WE THANK YOU!!!!Special Features:
- Sunset diningSavannahkamDined on 5/16/2014Great sunset dining experience. Crab cake app was excellent as well as the wedge salad. The grouper dish was good but a tad overdone. The braised short ribs were fair. The shrimp wrapped in bacon were extremely overdone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very scenicWMMTampaDined on 5/16/2014The view and the ambiance is outstanding. Our server, Michelle, was well on top of her game. Our first visit and we chose Restaurant Week. Caretta's only offered one menu choice for the special price. The appetizer and entrée were good but not great. The chocolate mousse dessert was to die for. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Tremendously overpriced!shelbykDined on 5/15/2014Firstly, the best thing about this place is the view....although I specifically requested a table to see the Gulf views, we were sat at a table with a partial view (and it was not a busy evening). I might add that this same view can be enjoyed at many beachfront establishments too. The food and service were both good but not outstanding and not near what would you expect from the cost. Family of 4...our check was $251.00...and we did not order anything more than we would at any restaurant. Overall good rating but too over-priced for this area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Poor food it was cold manger clueless on customer service waiter overbearing and looking for a big tip mothers day ladies got a flower when leaving but not my wife as I sent the old food backSpecial Features:
- InconstantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2014I have had great brunch here with sushi fish that melts in your mouth, delicacy salads that are fresh, fruit perfectly ripened and omelettes with mouth watering ingredients. This week was not one of those times--nothing melted in your mouth or tasted fresh--disappointing but still nice ambiance and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.