181 Thompson St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carbonenewyork.com/
- Phone: 2122543000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Carbone and Rich Torrisi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Late Night, Private Room
A word from Carbone
Carbone is an Italian-American restaurant created by Mario Carbone, Rich Torrisi and Jeff Zalaznick. The restaurant pays homage to the essence of the great Italian-American restaurants of mid-20th century in New York, where delicious, exceptionally well-prepared food was served in settings that were simultaneously elegant, comfortable and unpretentious. The food nods to that same history, but take its culinary cues from the great talents and techniques of the present and of the future. Familiar dishes like Seafood Salad, Linguini Vongole, Lobster Fra Diavola, Chicken Scarpariello and Veal Parmesan elevated to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carbone reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)special occasion (95)hot spot (68)neighborhood gem (60)romantic (52)notable wine list (49)good for groups (31)great for lunch (19)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DisappontingRenatoADined on 9/16/2014Despite the nice environment food was very spicy (excessive garlic and pepper) which interferes with its taste. Portions are big but nobody warns you about that.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The food is excellent! One of the best meals I've had ever! The servers are all wonderfully attentive, but not overbearing and the music later on in the night is great! All in all a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014food is fairly good but expensive. Also, it is extremely noisy. All in all, I will NOT recommend it to my friends.
- SfrangisDined on 9/14/2014Superb. Divine. Unique. Bravo. Definitely one of the best restaurants we have ever been. Service was impeccable. Food was simple yet mind blowing. Wine was amazing. It was more than just a fantastic dinner. It was an experience. A memorable one. If only more restaurant owners had half of the vision these guys did. Chapeaux!Special Features:
- SarahDined on 9/14/2014Delicious!! Loved the waiters. Good and wine are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViennaMikeDined on 9/13/2014Uneven food pushy service but very good sommelier.
- Outstanding FoodPmagVIPDined on 9/9/2014Hard to get into but must say it was worth the effort. The Ceasar Salad was better than advertised ans the Veal Chop was memorable. The bread basket alone was enough to stop by for. Choclate dessert was extraordinary. Excellent wine list at NYC prices. Only issue was the rush at the end of the meal we were basically rushed out. No one was offered coffee or after dinner drinks- check was brought over and they were ready to turn the table- disappointing for the price of the visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/1/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant, and I loved everything about it, from the ambiance to the food. Both the Caesar salad and veal parm were outstanding.
- Great Meal!ConnecticutItalian14Dined on 8/30/2014The food was outstanding once again only to be outdone by the service. The Caprese salad, veal parmesan and spaghetti pomodoro were delicious. The Bananas Foster was one of the best we've ever had. Superb meal overall, would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really SpecialRsguedesDined on 8/25/2014Special ambient/decoration, food, service, music. Definitely a place to be! Try sharing a number of appetizers, small pasta plates and also entrees with your party. Wine list is huge, so do ask the sommelier for suggestions, even because they have hidden treasuries!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014Food was delicious. While the waiter was quite knowledgable, he was constantly interrupting our lunch conversation to tell us daily specials, ask if we were ready etc. For such a nice restaurant, I was surprised that he didn't wait until one of us had at least finished speaking to ask for our attention.That was rather awkward as the lunch was a business event.Special Features:
- Superb Meal!CmarieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Wonderful veal parm, halibut, beet salad, and bananas flambé ---- but the highlight was light and delectable tortellini with ragu. The latter may sound ordinary, however at Carbone it is ethereal! Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A keeperDineNYCDined on 8/22/2014Love to dine in NYC. Veal parmesan was most excellent. It is certain I will be back for another meal.Special Features:
- In one word...Amazing.BrianFantanaDined on 8/21/2014We had an amazing experience at Carbone. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgable. We had the meatballs, lobster ravioli, spaghetti and wine. Everything was superb. When you spend a bit of money out on dinner, you want to get your money's worth. Carbone delivers...and then some...and then some more. A fantastic dining experience and we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding American Italian FoodncnycDined on 8/21/2014This place is in a world of its own. You walk in and you're not even in Manhattan anymore. You're taken back to a different era, different culture, and it's an incredible experience. And the food is authentic American Italian fare that is perfectly executed. It's simplicity so well executed that it appears complex. You cannot go wrong at this place.Special Features:
- BrooklynBabyDined on 8/20/2014Highly memorable meal. From the minute you set foot into this restaurant you feel taken care of. Service is attentive and friendly. Food is nothing short of exceptional. You get what you pay for. Absolutely worth it to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decalalalalDined on 8/17/2014decadent music coolio sdkjf aksjdaskjd lak wioajdlk n aoijfvn kjsdfl saoie;dndsjSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/13/2014Food was good, but not worth the price. Disappointing after reading all of the press reviews.
- Glad we checked it outjnycDined on 8/11/2014Food is interesting, some nice twists on old standards - try the baked clams. But, verrrry expensive!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENALRCColaVIPDined on 8/9/2014It's not very often that I'm blown away by something as simple as garlic bread, or veal parmesan, or even a classic caesar salad, but if you've had any of these offerings at Carbone, you'll see why garlic bread is not as simple as you think. The service is a full-on experience, the menu is simple and straightforward but there's nothing simple about the preparation. ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING MEAL!! Four enthusiastic fingers (and toes) up! It is a bit pricey, but well worth it...and I'm anxiously awaiting the next time I hit the lottery-- my first stop will be the tasting menu at Carbone.Special Features:
- Old school Italian done rightmsbnyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Carbone was great. Starting out with fresh breads, parmesan, salumi. The sommelier made a great suggestion for a good bottle of sangiovese. We had the fantastic grilled octopus to start: perfect char on the octopus, beautiful flavor in the peppers that it was served with. Then the spicy rigatoni: creamy pasta cooked perfectly al dente, not overwhelmingly spicy. The lobster ravioli: delicate leaves of squid ink pasta filled with lobster in a fresh herb sauce. The bass oreganata: beautiful black bass with chickpeas and herbs. An incredibly healthy portion of veal parmesan. A truly fantastic dish! Carrot cake: presentation very pretty but the taste did not live up to everything else we'd had. Would love to go back to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Carbone is a must if you can get inEBurt4Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing environment, food and service. Mixologist are great and awesome menu. Difficult to get in bit very worth the wait.Special Features:
- ExcellentFairfoodieDined on 8/8/2014A really lovely restaurant with good food, excellent service and a friendly vibe. My only gripe would be the price. Although the food is perfectly good, it doesn't really justify the prices being charged. It's really a nice neighbourhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Off the boil?simonblondonDined on 8/6/2014It's worth noting that our waiter (captain?) was outstanding. However, nothing else was particularly good. It's clear what the owners have set out to achieve but the kind of pastiche they are aiming at requires work. Also, the food was only so so.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Spectacular. Lives up to the hype! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was good service is very badbernieDined on 8/4/2014Food was good service the worst the side dishes arrived when the main courses had been finished The waiter gave them for free no one eat them Who wants free food we want service! !Special Features:
- Delicious Italian FoodSammyDined on 8/3/2014I think that dining at Carbone really lived up to the hype. The ambience was old school, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin playing in the background, waiters in suits and wonderful charm. While definitely an expensive meal, it was absolutely delicious. Has the sizzling pancetta, thick cut and juicy, and the chopped salad, fresh and delicious with a touch of fennel to start. We did not order a meat dish but focused on the pasta, ordering the spicy vodka rigatoni and the tortellini ragu. We also ordered a side of meatballs which were not on the menu but offered by our waiter. Perfectly cooked, perfectly spicy (which means not too much, I don't like spicy!) and the ragu was creamy and light. The meatballs were moist and amazing! Go eat here!Special Features:
- FantasticDisappointingDined on 8/3/2014Updated classic red-sauce joint dishes with huge portions and stellar service. Huge hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastickecoshDined on 8/2/2014Delicious! The food was incredible. We can't thank our captain enough for making it all worthwhile. We'll definitely be back our next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Hands down the best restaurant in NYC. I will certainly be going back and recommending this place to everyone I speak to.Special Features:
- AmazingMediaqueenVIPDined on 8/2/2014We trusted Chris our captain to select from the menu and he was spot on! What shall I rave about first, the caprese salad was like none other we have ever tried (even in Italy). The vegetable lasagna was a completely unexpected delight! And lastly as promised the Veal Parm .."best in the city". We ate and ordered way too much food but why bother if you're not going to do that. Our meal was truly an experience that we will look forward to doing again and again. My husband said it best when he said "I can see xxxx (that other village Italian hot spot) in my rear view mirror"Special Features:
- DocKDined on 8/1/2014very good food but extremely expensive. ordered the M/P branzino and was shocked when it showed up as a $95 charge on the bill.Special Features:
- Very good but very noisyFernandamfDined on 7/31/2014I am a fan of Carbonne. The food is excellent. However, those last fez times we I went, it was too too noisy. You barely can have a conversation. It ruins the experience.Special Features:
- elegant and classychannelplaceVIPDined on 7/28/2014dining room has nice vibe. multiple amouse bouche starters terrific. octopus, tortellini pasta, and veal parmasan exceptional. unfortunately too full for dessert.
- Great experienceMariDined on 7/23/2014Maybe not for small kids but great for foodie-kids. Superservice and the food is overall very good but the caprese is outstanding. Best ever and I have been to Italy many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NY steakhousegbandjgDined on 7/21/2014We booked over a month in advance, upon arrival we were quickly ushered through to the back of the restaurant where it seemed all the regular patrons were. Almost immediately we were given some great crusty Italian bread, pickled vegetables and slices of tomato to make a beautiful bruschetta. Service quick and by our first real NY born waiter who was quick, efficient and when we enquired, had some great stories. Our meals were great with the mains being much larger than we are use to. The standout was the veal marsala, absolutely the very best I have ever had and whilst my wife was having lobster as her main, when I gave her some of my veal - she kept on asking for more of my veal! Really enjoyed the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsigliereDined on 7/21/2014It was lovely to take my parents out to dinner here. They enjoyed that old school feel and delicious food. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable. Would have like a second glass of wine but overall, it was a lovely night. Thank you for making this evening special for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointimgDacApiacereDined on 7/20/2014We had reservation but we have to wait at least half an hour to be seated. We ask for our appetizers and main courses and the "maitre" tried to force us to ask for more food more than once.
- The Godfather, Part 4msruddlawVIPDined on 7/15/2014The food at Carbone is actually under-rated. We started with two crudo appetizers, one tuna and the other salmon, each in a different herb and olive oil mix, both of which were extraordinarily fresh and delicate. Great Ceaser salad with white anchovies. Angel hair AOP popped with flavor. The meat balls weren't on the menu but our waiter included them. The veal parmigiana was exquisite - best red sauce ever. Should have stopped with the macerated strawberries, but my daughter pushed for the carrot cake. A perfectly paired soft red wine from Sicily for dinner and a wonderful caramelized rum from the West Indies to balance the carrot cake. Our waiter was always there just as we were about to look for him. The sommelier is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING Italian...Hands Down!rossamaVIPDined on 7/14/2014This place is soo soo good. 2nd time there and everything is absolutely superb! The staff is soo friendly and polite and the food is to die for! Great special offered which are worth trying and the menu has a lot of great selections. Very extensive wine list and the cocktails are very tasty as well! The must haves: Scampi alla Scampi, Octopus Pizzaiolo, Spicy Rigatoni Vodka, Veal Parmesan, side of Meatballs & any dessert! :-0 Can't wait to go back!Special Features: