181 Thompson St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carbonenewyork.com/
- Phone: (212) 254-3000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Carbone and Rich Torrisi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Late Night, Private Room
A word from Carbone
Carbone is an Italian-American restaurant created by Mario Carbone, Rich Torrisi and Jeff Zalaznick. The restaurant pays homage to the essence of the great Italian-American restaurants of mid-20th century in New York, where delicious, exceptionally well-prepared food was served in settings that were simultaneously elegant, comfortable and unpretentious. The food nods to that same history, but take its culinary cues from the great talents and techniques of the present and of the future. Familiar dishes like Seafood Salad, Linguini Vongole, Lobster Fra Diavola, Chicken Scarpariello and Veal Parmesan elevated to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carbone reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)special occasion (95)hot spot (81)neighborhood gem (63)notable wine list (58)romantic (52)good for groups (36)great for lunch (26)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- ExcellentMariocDined on 11/17/2014Small, cozy. Typical italian. Worth the visit. Good wines from Italy. Nice Antipasti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reconstruction of days gone byMoghan10VIPDined on 11/15/2014You burst through the doors, and are greeted warmly. Three small rooms, intimate, but all open enough to one another are filled with people of all ages - happy to be out, living a good life. Everyone is elegant, but nobody is competing for attention. Men in burgundy tuxedo uniforms dash about proffering favorite dishes, and alight these on tables to the evident joy of its recipients. A small, but charming bar is at the center of it all, and a cluster of people will always be waiting, watching - but not in the grumpy way you see so often in NY when the reservations get a bit backed up. This crowd is happy to be in its perch, overlooking the scene they have joined for the evening. Then the food: you can share, absolutely. The portions are generous, but also not overly if you love a certain dish - i.e. the Spicy Rigatoni Vodka. You will definitely want to share the Veal Parmesan. The service is approached with vigor, and a winking mutual understanding that you are about to partake in a special experience much lauded by others. In short: Carbone is a pleasure zone. You feel you are part of a small, special club for just a brief period, and you will leave satisfied - a bit heavier overall, even if lighter in the wallet. It's worth it. Days gone by in are too rarely recalled in the new farm-to-table concept restaurants. This is the type of place you will linger at - 1AM comes, and you are finishing a glass of Barbera, trading NYC secrets with the table of regulars next to you. You won't want to go home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed by the food and the noisySabrinaPDined on 11/14/2014The food was just ok, we had two plates each and we felt disappointed at the end of the dinner. The noisy was so loud that I couldnt hear my boyfriend on the other side of the table, and we are taking about a bistro style table. Maybe it's not appropriate for people that wants to talk, but if you are into yelling, thats your place!Special Features:
- FFogVIPDined on 11/14/2014Don't forget what made you great in the first place. I sense a change for the worse.
- Amazing!Pash123Dined on 11/14/2014The food was amazing, the service was amazing, the atmosphere was amazing. I highly recommend this restaurant. The server came to check up on us every few minutes. The rigatoni vodka was the best I've had. The rainbow cookies and tiramisu were incredible. Family style is recommended so its good to go with a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Meh" for 800, ArtNextVIPDined on 11/9/2014The idea of Carbone is great and the prices go along with the idea. I get that. But isn't the idea that actual cooking is supposed to be first rate?
- Worth every cent!benjaminDined on 11/7/2014Food was truly amazing . Incredibly , the free garlic bread, salami and fresh mozzarella cheese were perhaps the best I ever had. The service staff was exceptional, extremely friendly, knowledgeable and full of important insights into the menu and wine list. The pasta dishes live up to the hype and the main courses are so good you literally cannot stop stuffing yourself! It is a truly memorable and unique dining experience. I forgot, adding to the experience is the great music played in the background.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/6/2014The experience at Carbone was amazing. Excellent food and excellent service. Definitely get the Veal Parm. Absolutely worth the $55 price tag. The Spicy Rigatoni is also incredible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014Sal, Ricky.& Tara really made our nite special. It takes a lot to top the food, which is phenomenalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for thoughtLuv2shareDined on 10/29/2014Food was outstanding, very disappointed with the service though. The staff was to preoccupied with the management instead of the customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than worth the waitNYCwannabeDined on 10/26/2014I tried for months to get in, and could not get a reservation. Finally I got one a very special night for us, and it was more than worth the wait. We were put in a half round corner booth, which was perfect, our waiter was a charismatic showman which made the experience great. He made suggestions as to how to try many things in a way that all were very satisfied and all the great dishes were sampled. The food was as good as it gets. We have been to many NYC restaurants of all types and foods, (good ones), and Carbone now stands at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crazy goodWs100ptsDined on 10/23/2014Old school style with new school edge. Pastas are fantastic, seafood unreal and entrees very large and you should share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vintage modernlacelesteDined on 10/23/2014this notable italian inspired by retro italian-american food is delicious, delightful with old school service. small, cozy with a great vibe inside. the people couldn't be nicer.Special Features:
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/22/2014This has become one of my favorite restaurants and have come to dine more than 20x and have never been disappointed the service is excellent. The food is like grandmas home cooking. Simple and elegant made with love. Have consistently recommended Carbone to my friends and have recieved wonderful comments. Look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with the starsSweetestCin1Dined on 10/19/2014I had a lovely time eating at Carbone and for the first time felt that I was getting what I paid for which is always a pleasant surprise. It was also a great bonus to see Kris Jenner stop there for dinner as well!Special Features:
- Great FoodGregoireVIPDined on 10/16/2014Really really good food. Everything was super solid, some interesting things. Dessert was ok, but everything else was so good that's what I'll remember.Special Features:
- ugh!SpiceVIPDined on 10/13/2014American Graffitti via The Godfather has arrived in Greenwhich Village. Red suited capos serve decent but overpriced food in an atmosphere found more often at theme parks. Overly fast service feeds a get 'em in and get 'em out restaurant. We had to guard our meals at times. The food was good but not spectacular and for $250 for two I'll head to a more serious restaurant.
- Impecable ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2014I am not sure what was better, the food or the service. We went for lunch and ordered the Fettuccine con Funghi and the Scallops Francese, both of which were delicious. Our server was attentive and well versed in the menu and wine list. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:
- foodfreakVIPDined on 10/10/2014Can't decide if the atmosphere or the food was better. It's a total 50's throwback with the music, menu & our server straight out of the Godfather. The prices are over the top. Even our server's declaration that we needed 2 appetizers, 1 pasta & 2 entrees for 4 of us made the cost a little more palatable but, with 2(reasonable?) bottles of wine and meatballs which the server said we had to try brought the bill to over $600. The food was delicious-tortellini with Bolognese-divine & veal parmesan-amazing ($55.00-it should be). Not sure I would make this a habit, but it was a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!ElvisDined on 10/9/2014Very good service Very nice place Delicious food Very good ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner TheaterTruFoodieDined on 10/9/2014The food is fine, but not worth the outrageously exorbitant prices. My husband and I like to splurge on amazing meals. But the food quality does not warrant the prices. The experience was more like dinner theater, and this is to also say everyone was very nice and professional. Just be prepared for sticker shock that in no way matches the actual dining.Special Features:
- So coolChefHDined on 10/5/2014Carbone is great. Waiters have swagger. The food is a great rendition of italian American classics. Be in the mood to be entertained the waiters are cut from the good fellas cloth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Italian RestaurantLuluStangerDined on 10/3/2014Great Ambient and Fantastic Servise... 6 stars restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will return over and over againOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/1/2014My husband and I loved our evening at Carbone. I loved sharing and trying each new dish Our service was excellent. My only complaint. Please please keep your bathrooms clean The bathroom was filthy I think it's important to have an attendant constantly check the bathroom so when a guest uses the bathroom it is clean. I hope this will be resolved on our next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeCarboneDined on 10/1/2014Came here for a business lunch and was very impressed. 2 hours flew by, really wish I was there longer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!SarahSBDined on 9/28/2014We had the most enjoyable evening here. The staff was friendly and professional and the food was out of this world delicious. The best veal parmigiana I have ever had!Special Features:
- love carbone!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014had the most amazing birthday experience here. the entire staff was extremely accomodating and the food was delicious!! recommend to everyone. Special thank you to Sal who made my evening extra specialSpecial Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Overhyped. Good food, not the best Italian in the city. Worth it to try out once.Special Features:
- Bravissimo!TravelJunkieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Wow! The atmosphere & service are perfect and just plain fun. We enjoyed riffing with other diners as much as the house. It reminded me of Sunday supper at nonna's where you stuff yourself silly with delicious homemade food, though with no disrespect to nonna, Carbone kicks it up a notch or three. We carried home 2 bags of leftovers that we enjoyed for dinner the next day, so on that basis it wasn't all that expensive, and certainly worth it for the quality. First, melt-in-your-mouth eggplant and sublime beef carpaccio. Next the fabulous spicy rigatoni and exceptional delicate lobster ravioli overflowing with lobster. Shared the tasty veal parm with a side of broccoli rabe, then tiramisu. Washed down with good Franciacorta and Barolo.Special Features:
- excellent forward thinking concept.TheoldboyDined on 9/26/2014Well done to all! Will be back on next visit to nyc.Special Features:
- Give me a "C", Give me an "A"...cmbknyDined on 9/24/2014I cannot say enough good things about Carbone! It has become my go to lunch spot for important business gatherings and special occasions. While it's a bit of a scene and challenging to get a reservation for dinner, it's amazingly chill midday. You get basically the same menu and a lot of attention from the staff, with no rush to turn the table. They refused to bring me the check until I'd had a little grappa or lemoncello and a 7 layer cookie, to finish off a spectacular meal. I have a serious crush on Carbone and don't care who knows about it.Special Features:
- service wasn't very good.kimjak524Dined on 9/23/2014We had wait for 20minutes to order....just staring and sitting people eating. We went to the restaurant around 1:30 pm (weekend) and the waiter finally came around 1:55 asking us ... "our kitchen will close at 2pm so what would you like to order?"... Overall service wasn't very nice. Food was okay. bit salty but great with wine. Interior is great.Special Features:
- Amazing serviceMarcVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food and ambiance was really good, but the service I have to say was absolutely outstanding. The recommendations were totally on point and we had a great dinner!Special Features:
- Well worth findingAnnieDined on 9/18/2014Excellent food. The layers of flavour almost every bite is life changingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappontingRenatoADined on 9/16/2014Despite the nice environment food was very spicy (excessive garlic and pepper) which interferes with its taste. Portions are big but nobody warns you about that.Special Features:
- humusDined on 9/16/2014The food is excellent! One of the best meals I've had ever! The servers are all wonderfully attentive, but not overbearing and the music later on in the night is great! All in all a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014food is fairly good but expensive. Also, it is extremely noisy. All in all, I will NOT recommend it to my friends.
- SfrangisDined on 9/14/2014Superb. Divine. Unique. Bravo. Definitely one of the best restaurants we have ever been. Service was impeccable. Food was simple yet mind blowing. Wine was amazing. It was more than just a fantastic dinner. It was an experience. A memorable one. If only more restaurant owners had half of the vision these guys did. Chapeaux!Special Features:
- SarahDined on 9/14/2014Delicious!! Loved the waiters. Good and wine are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViennaMikeDined on 9/13/2014Uneven food pushy service but very good sommelier.