181 Thompson St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carbonenewyork.com/
- Phone: 2122543000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Carbone and Rich Torrisi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Late Night, Private Room
A word from Carbone
Carbone is an Italian-American restaurant created by Mario Carbone, Rich Torrisi and Jeff Zalaznick. The restaurant pays homage to the essence of the great Italian-American restaurants of mid-20th century in New York, where delicious, exceptionally well-prepared food was served in settings that were simultaneously elegant, comfortable and unpretentious. The food nods to that same history, but take its culinary cues from the great talents and techniques of the present and of the future. Familiar dishes like Seafood Salad, Linguini Vongole, Lobster Fra Diavola, Chicken Scarpariello and Veal Parmesan elevated to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carbone reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)special occasion (94)hot spot (74)neighborhood gem (60)romantic (53)notable wine list (49)good for groups (31)great for lunch (21)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014We had the most enjoyable evening here. The staff was friendly and professional and the food was out of this world delicious. The best veal parmigiana I have ever had!Special Features:
- love carbone!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014had the most amazing birthday experience here. the entire staff was extremely accomodating and the food was delicious!! recommend to everyone. Special thank you to Sal who made my evening extra specialSpecial Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Overhyped. Good food, not the best Italian in the city. Worth it to try out once.Special Features:
- Bravissimo!TravelJunkieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Wow! The atmosphere & service are perfect and just plain fun. We enjoyed riffing with other diners as much as the house. It reminded me of Sunday supper at nonna's where you stuff yourself silly with delicious homemade food, though with no disrespect to nonna, Carbone kicks it up a notch or three. We carried home 2 bags of leftovers that we enjoyed for dinner the next day, so on that basis it wasn't all that expensive, and certainly worth it for the quality. First, melt-in-your-mouth eggplant and sublime beef carpaccio. Next the fabulous spicy rigatoni and exceptional delicate lobster ravioli overflowing with lobster. Shared the tasty veal parm with a side of broccoli rabe, then tiramisu. Washed down with good Franciacorta and Barolo.Special Features:
- excellent forward thinking concept.TheoldboyDined on 9/26/2014Well done to all! Will be back on next visit to nyc.Special Features:
- Give me a "C", Give me an "A"...cmbknyDined on 9/24/2014I cannot say enough good things about Carbone! It has become my go to lunch spot for important business gatherings and special occasions. While it's a bit of a scene and challenging to get a reservation for dinner, it's amazingly chill midday. You get basically the same menu and a lot of attention from the staff, with no rush to turn the table. They refused to bring me the check until I'd had a little grappa or lemoncello and a 7 layer cookie, to finish off a spectacular meal. I have a serious crush on Carbone and don't care who knows about it.Special Features:
- Amazing serviceMarcVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food and ambiance was really good, but the service I have to say was absolutely outstanding. The recommendations were totally on point and we had a great dinner!Special Features:
- Well worth findingAnnieDined on 9/18/2014Excellent food. The layers of flavour almost every bite is life changingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappontingRenatoADined on 9/16/2014Despite the nice environment food was very spicy (excessive garlic and pepper) which interferes with its taste. Portions are big but nobody warns you about that.Special Features:
- humusDined on 9/16/2014The food is excellent! One of the best meals I've had ever! The servers are all wonderfully attentive, but not overbearing and the music later on in the night is great! All in all a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014food is fairly good but expensive. Also, it is extremely noisy. All in all, I will NOT recommend it to my friends.
- SfrangisDined on 9/14/2014Superb. Divine. Unique. Bravo. Definitely one of the best restaurants we have ever been. Service was impeccable. Food was simple yet mind blowing. Wine was amazing. It was more than just a fantastic dinner. It was an experience. A memorable one. If only more restaurant owners had half of the vision these guys did. Chapeaux!Special Features:
- SarahDined on 9/14/2014Delicious!! Loved the waiters. Good and wine are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViennaMikeDined on 9/13/2014Uneven food pushy service but very good sommelier.
- Outstanding FoodPmagVIPDined on 9/9/2014Hard to get into but must say it was worth the effort. The Ceasar Salad was better than advertised ans the Veal Chop was memorable. The bread basket alone was enough to stop by for. Choclate dessert was extraordinary. Excellent wine list at NYC prices. Only issue was the rush at the end of the meal we were basically rushed out. No one was offered coffee or after dinner drinks- check was brought over and they were ready to turn the table- disappointing for the price of the visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/1/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant, and I loved everything about it, from the ambiance to the food. Both the Caesar salad and veal parm were outstanding.
- Great Meal!ConnecticutItalian14Dined on 8/30/2014The food was outstanding once again only to be outdone by the service. The Caprese salad, veal parmesan and spaghetti pomodoro were delicious. The Bananas Foster was one of the best we've ever had. Superb meal overall, would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really SpecialRsguedesDined on 8/25/2014Special ambient/decoration, food, service, music. Definitely a place to be! Try sharing a number of appetizers, small pasta plates and also entrees with your party. Wine list is huge, so do ask the sommelier for suggestions, even because they have hidden treasuries!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014Food was delicious. While the waiter was quite knowledgable, he was constantly interrupting our lunch conversation to tell us daily specials, ask if we were ready etc. For such a nice restaurant, I was surprised that he didn't wait until one of us had at least finished speaking to ask for our attention.That was rather awkward as the lunch was a business event.Special Features:
- Superb Meal!CmarieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Wonderful veal parm, halibut, beet salad, and bananas flambé ---- but the highlight was light and delectable tortellini with ragu. The latter may sound ordinary, however at Carbone it is ethereal! Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A keeperDineNYCDined on 8/22/2014Love to dine in NYC. Veal parmesan was most excellent. It is certain I will be back for another meal.Special Features:
- In one word...Amazing.BrianFantanaDined on 8/21/2014We had an amazing experience at Carbone. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgable. We had the meatballs, lobster ravioli, spaghetti and wine. Everything was superb. When you spend a bit of money out on dinner, you want to get your money's worth. Carbone delivers...and then some...and then some more. A fantastic dining experience and we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding American Italian FoodncnycVIPDined on 8/21/2014This place is in a world of its own. You walk in and you're not even in Manhattan anymore. You're taken back to a different era, different culture, and it's an incredible experience. And the food is authentic American Italian fare that is perfectly executed. It's simplicity so well executed that it appears complex. You cannot go wrong at this place.Special Features:
- BrooklynBabyDined on 8/20/2014Highly memorable meal. From the minute you set foot into this restaurant you feel taken care of. Service is attentive and friendly. Food is nothing short of exceptional. You get what you pay for. Absolutely worth it to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decalalalalDined on 8/17/2014decadent music coolio sdkjf aksjdaskjd lak wioajdlk n aoijfvn kjsdfl saoie;dndsjSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/13/2014Food was good, but not worth the price. Disappointing after reading all of the press reviews.
- Glad we checked it outjnycDined on 8/11/2014Food is interesting, some nice twists on old standards - try the baked clams. But, verrrry expensive!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENALRCColaVIPDined on 8/9/2014It's not very often that I'm blown away by something as simple as garlic bread, or veal parmesan, or even a classic caesar salad, but if you've had any of these offerings at Carbone, you'll see why garlic bread is not as simple as you think. The service is a full-on experience, the menu is simple and straightforward but there's nothing simple about the preparation. ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING MEAL!! Four enthusiastic fingers (and toes) up! It is a bit pricey, but well worth it...and I'm anxiously awaiting the next time I hit the lottery-- my first stop will be the tasting menu at Carbone.Special Features:
- Old school Italian done rightmsbnyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Carbone was great. Starting out with fresh breads, parmesan, salumi. The sommelier made a great suggestion for a good bottle of sangiovese. We had the fantastic grilled octopus to start: perfect char on the octopus, beautiful flavor in the peppers that it was served with. Then the spicy rigatoni: creamy pasta cooked perfectly al dente, not overwhelmingly spicy. The lobster ravioli: delicate leaves of squid ink pasta filled with lobster in a fresh herb sauce. The bass oreganata: beautiful black bass with chickpeas and herbs. An incredibly healthy portion of veal parmesan. A truly fantastic dish! Carrot cake: presentation very pretty but the taste did not live up to everything else we'd had. Would love to go back to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Carbone is a must if you can get inEBurt4Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing environment, food and service. Mixologist are great and awesome menu. Difficult to get in bit very worth the wait.Special Features:
- ExcellentFairfoodieDined on 8/8/2014A really lovely restaurant with good food, excellent service and a friendly vibe. My only gripe would be the price. Although the food is perfectly good, it doesn't really justify the prices being charged. It's really a nice neighbourhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Off the boil?simonblondonDined on 8/6/2014It's worth noting that our waiter (captain?) was outstanding. However, nothing else was particularly good. It's clear what the owners have set out to achieve but the kind of pastiche they are aiming at requires work. Also, the food was only so so.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Spectacular. Lives up to the hype! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was good service is very badbernieDined on 8/4/2014Food was good service the worst the side dishes arrived when the main courses had been finished The waiter gave them for free no one eat them Who wants free food we want service! !Special Features:
- Delicious Italian FoodSammyDined on 8/3/2014I think that dining at Carbone really lived up to the hype. The ambience was old school, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin playing in the background, waiters in suits and wonderful charm. While definitely an expensive meal, it was absolutely delicious. Has the sizzling pancetta, thick cut and juicy, and the chopped salad, fresh and delicious with a touch of fennel to start. We did not order a meat dish but focused on the pasta, ordering the spicy vodka rigatoni and the tortellini ragu. We also ordered a side of meatballs which were not on the menu but offered by our waiter. Perfectly cooked, perfectly spicy (which means not too much, I don't like spicy!) and the ragu was creamy and light. The meatballs were moist and amazing! Go eat here!Special Features:
- FantasticDisappointingDined on 8/3/2014Updated classic red-sauce joint dishes with huge portions and stellar service. Huge hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastickecoshDined on 8/2/2014Delicious! The food was incredible. We can't thank our captain enough for making it all worthwhile. We'll definitely be back our next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Hands down the best restaurant in NYC. I will certainly be going back and recommending this place to everyone I speak to.Special Features:
- AmazingMediaqueenVIPDined on 8/2/2014We trusted Chris our captain to select from the menu and he was spot on! What shall I rave about first, the caprese salad was like none other we have ever tried (even in Italy). The vegetable lasagna was a completely unexpected delight! And lastly as promised the Veal Parm .."best in the city". We ate and ordered way too much food but why bother if you're not going to do that. Our meal was truly an experience that we will look forward to doing again and again. My husband said it best when he said "I can see xxxx (that other village Italian hot spot) in my rear view mirror"Special Features:
- DocKDined on 8/1/2014very good food but extremely expensive. ordered the M/P branzino and was shocked when it showed up as a $95 charge on the bill.Special Features: