181 Thompson St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carbonenewyork.com/
- Phone: 2122543000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12pm - 2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Mario Carbone and Rich Torrisi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Late Night, Private Room
A word from Carbone
Carbone is an Italian-American restaurant created by Mario Carbone, Rich Torrisi and Jeff Zalaznick. The restaurant pays homage to the essence of the great Italian-American restaurants of mid-20th century in New York, where delicious, exceptionally well-prepared food was served in settings that were simultaneously elegant, comfortable and unpretentious. The food nods to that same history, but take its culinary cues from the great talents and techniques of the present and of the future. Familiar dishes like Seafood Salad, Linguini Vongole, Lobster Fra Diavola, Chicken Scarpariello and Veal Parmesan elevated to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carbone reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)special occasion (94)hot spot (73)neighborhood gem (56)notable wine list (52)romantic (49)good for groups (35)great for lunch (21)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- ugh!SpiceVIPDined on 10/13/2014American Graffitti via The Godfather has arrived in Greenwhich Village. Red suited capos serve decent but overpriced food in an atmosphere found more often at theme parks. Overly fast service feeds a get 'em in and get 'em out restaurant. We had to guard our meals at times. The food was good but not spectacular and for $250 for two I'll head to a more serious restaurant.
- Impecable ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2014I am not sure what was better, the food or the service. We went for lunch and ordered the Fettuccine con Funghi and the Scallops Francese, both of which were delicious. Our server was attentive and well versed in the menu and wine list. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:
- foodfreakVIPDined on 10/10/2014Can't decide if the atmosphere or the food was better. It's a total 50's throwback with the music, menu & our server straight out of the Godfather. The prices are over the top. Even our server's declaration that we needed 2 appetizers, 1 pasta & 2 entrees for 4 of us made the cost a little more palatable but, with 2(reasonable?) bottles of wine and meatballs which the server said we had to try brought the bill to over $600. The food was delicious-tortellini with Bolognese-divine & veal parmesan-amazing ($55.00-it should be). Not sure I would make this a habit, but it was a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!ElvisDined on 10/9/2014Very good service Very nice place Delicious food Very good ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner TheaterTruFoodieDined on 10/9/2014The food is fine, but not worth the outrageously exorbitant prices. My husband and I like to splurge on amazing meals. But the food quality does not warrant the prices. The experience was more like dinner theater, and this is to also say everyone was very nice and professional. Just be prepared for sticker shock that in no way matches the actual dining.Special Features:
- So coolChefHDined on 10/5/2014Carbone is great. Waiters have swagger. The food is a great rendition of italian American classics. Be in the mood to be entertained the waiters are cut from the good fellas cloth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Italian RestaurantLuluStangerDined on 10/3/2014Great Ambient and Fantastic Servise... 6 stars restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will return over and over againOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/1/2014My husband and I loved our evening at Carbone. I loved sharing and trying each new dish Our service was excellent. My only complaint. Please please keep your bathrooms clean The bathroom was filthy I think it's important to have an attendant constantly check the bathroom so when a guest uses the bathroom it is clean. I hope this will be resolved on our next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeCarboneDined on 10/1/2014Came here for a business lunch and was very impressed. 2 hours flew by, really wish I was there longer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!SarahSBDined on 9/28/2014We had the most enjoyable evening here. The staff was friendly and professional and the food was out of this world delicious. The best veal parmigiana I have ever had!Special Features:
- love carbone!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014had the most amazing birthday experience here. the entire staff was extremely accomodating and the food was delicious!! recommend to everyone. Special thank you to Sal who made my evening extra specialSpecial Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Overhyped. Good food, not the best Italian in the city. Worth it to try out once.Special Features:
- Bravissimo!TravelJunkieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Wow! The atmosphere & service are perfect and just plain fun. We enjoyed riffing with other diners as much as the house. It reminded me of Sunday supper at nonna's where you stuff yourself silly with delicious homemade food, though with no disrespect to nonna, Carbone kicks it up a notch or three. We carried home 2 bags of leftovers that we enjoyed for dinner the next day, so on that basis it wasn't all that expensive, and certainly worth it for the quality. First, melt-in-your-mouth eggplant and sublime beef carpaccio. Next the fabulous spicy rigatoni and exceptional delicate lobster ravioli overflowing with lobster. Shared the tasty veal parm with a side of broccoli rabe, then tiramisu. Washed down with good Franciacorta and Barolo.Special Features:
- excellent forward thinking concept.TheoldboyDined on 9/26/2014Well done to all! Will be back on next visit to nyc.Special Features:
- Give me a "C", Give me an "A"...cmbknyDined on 9/24/2014I cannot say enough good things about Carbone! It has become my go to lunch spot for important business gatherings and special occasions. While it's a bit of a scene and challenging to get a reservation for dinner, it's amazingly chill midday. You get basically the same menu and a lot of attention from the staff, with no rush to turn the table. They refused to bring me the check until I'd had a little grappa or lemoncello and a 7 layer cookie, to finish off a spectacular meal. I have a serious crush on Carbone and don't care who knows about it.Special Features:
- service wasn't very good.kimjak524Dined on 9/23/2014We had wait for 20minutes to order....just staring and sitting people eating. We went to the restaurant around 1:30 pm (weekend) and the waiter finally came around 1:55 asking us ... "our kitchen will close at 2pm so what would you like to order?"... Overall service wasn't very nice. Food was okay. bit salty but great with wine. Interior is great.Special Features:
- Amazing serviceMarcVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food and ambiance was really good, but the service I have to say was absolutely outstanding. The recommendations were totally on point and we had a great dinner!Special Features:
- Well worth findingAnnieDined on 9/18/2014Excellent food. The layers of flavour almost every bite is life changingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappontingRenatoADined on 9/16/2014Despite the nice environment food was very spicy (excessive garlic and pepper) which interferes with its taste. Portions are big but nobody warns you about that.Special Features:
- humusDined on 9/16/2014The food is excellent! One of the best meals I've had ever! The servers are all wonderfully attentive, but not overbearing and the music later on in the night is great! All in all a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014food is fairly good but expensive. Also, it is extremely noisy. All in all, I will NOT recommend it to my friends.
- SfrangisDined on 9/14/2014Superb. Divine. Unique. Bravo. Definitely one of the best restaurants we have ever been. Service was impeccable. Food was simple yet mind blowing. Wine was amazing. It was more than just a fantastic dinner. It was an experience. A memorable one. If only more restaurant owners had half of the vision these guys did. Chapeaux!Special Features:
- SarahDined on 9/14/2014Delicious!! Loved the waiters. Good and wine are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViennaMikeDined on 9/13/2014Uneven food pushy service but very good sommelier.
- Outstanding FoodPmagVIPDined on 9/9/2014Hard to get into but must say it was worth the effort. The Ceasar Salad was better than advertised ans the Veal Chop was memorable. The bread basket alone was enough to stop by for. Choclate dessert was extraordinary. Excellent wine list at NYC prices. Only issue was the rush at the end of the meal we were basically rushed out. No one was offered coffee or after dinner drinks- check was brought over and they were ready to turn the table- disappointing for the price of the visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/1/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant, and I loved everything about it, from the ambiance to the food. Both the Caesar salad and veal parm were outstanding.
- Great Meal!ConnecticutItalian14Dined on 8/30/2014The food was outstanding once again only to be outdone by the service. The Caprese salad, veal parmesan and spaghetti pomodoro were delicious. The Bananas Foster was one of the best we've ever had. Superb meal overall, would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really SpecialRsguedesDined on 8/25/2014Special ambient/decoration, food, service, music. Definitely a place to be! Try sharing a number of appetizers, small pasta plates and also entrees with your party. Wine list is huge, so do ask the sommelier for suggestions, even because they have hidden treasuries!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014Food was delicious. While the waiter was quite knowledgable, he was constantly interrupting our lunch conversation to tell us daily specials, ask if we were ready etc. For such a nice restaurant, I was surprised that he didn't wait until one of us had at least finished speaking to ask for our attention.That was rather awkward as the lunch was a business event.Special Features:
- Superb Meal!CmarieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Wonderful veal parm, halibut, beet salad, and bananas flambé ---- but the highlight was light and delectable tortellini with ragu. The latter may sound ordinary, however at Carbone it is ethereal! Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A keeperDineNYCDined on 8/22/2014Love to dine in NYC. Veal parmesan was most excellent. It is certain I will be back for another meal.Special Features:
- In one word...Amazing.BrianFantanaDined on 8/21/2014We had an amazing experience at Carbone. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgable. We had the meatballs, lobster ravioli, spaghetti and wine. Everything was superb. When you spend a bit of money out on dinner, you want to get your money's worth. Carbone delivers...and then some...and then some more. A fantastic dining experience and we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding American Italian FoodncnycVIPDined on 8/21/2014This place is in a world of its own. You walk in and you're not even in Manhattan anymore. You're taken back to a different era, different culture, and it's an incredible experience. And the food is authentic American Italian fare that is perfectly executed. It's simplicity so well executed that it appears complex. You cannot go wrong at this place.Special Features:
- BrooklynBabyDined on 8/20/2014Highly memorable meal. From the minute you set foot into this restaurant you feel taken care of. Service is attentive and friendly. Food is nothing short of exceptional. You get what you pay for. Absolutely worth it to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decalalalalDined on 8/17/2014decadent music coolio sdkjf aksjdaskjd lak wioajdlk n aoijfvn kjsdfl saoie;dndsjSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/13/2014Food was good, but not worth the price. Disappointing after reading all of the press reviews.
- Glad we checked it outjnycDined on 8/11/2014Food is interesting, some nice twists on old standards - try the baked clams. But, verrrry expensive!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENALRCColaVIPDined on 8/9/2014It's not very often that I'm blown away by something as simple as garlic bread, or veal parmesan, or even a classic caesar salad, but if you've had any of these offerings at Carbone, you'll see why garlic bread is not as simple as you think. The service is a full-on experience, the menu is simple and straightforward but there's nothing simple about the preparation. ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING MEAL!! Four enthusiastic fingers (and toes) up! It is a bit pricey, but well worth it...and I'm anxiously awaiting the next time I hit the lottery-- my first stop will be the tasting menu at Carbone.Special Features:
- Old school Italian done rightmsbnyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Carbone was great. Starting out with fresh breads, parmesan, salumi. The sommelier made a great suggestion for a good bottle of sangiovese. We had the fantastic grilled octopus to start: perfect char on the octopus, beautiful flavor in the peppers that it was served with. Then the spicy rigatoni: creamy pasta cooked perfectly al dente, not overwhelmingly spicy. The lobster ravioli: delicate leaves of squid ink pasta filled with lobster in a fresh herb sauce. The bass oreganata: beautiful black bass with chickpeas and herbs. An incredibly healthy portion of veal parmesan. A truly fantastic dish! Carrot cake: presentation very pretty but the taste did not live up to everything else we'd had. Would love to go back to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Carbone is a must if you can get inEBurt4Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing environment, food and service. Mixologist are great and awesome menu. Difficult to get in bit very worth the wait.Special Features: