Carbone Ristorante Italiano
331 W 38th St.
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carbone Ristorante Italiano
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://carbonenyc.com/
- Phone: 2122902625
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Adelina / Gattopardino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Carbone Ristorante Italiano
This authentic Italian restaurant is a secret in the heart of New York! Great food for a small price, Carbone Ristorante Italiano offers unique, delicious specials every day. We have the best attentive staff, outstanding food in a cozy, romantic environment that reminds you of the streets of Rome. The pizza is fantastic, but our pasta is even better!! Adelina, our chef from Naples, prepares a homemade ravioli each morning. Each course is delicately prepared to perfection. We have delicious wines from different Italian Regions and a fully stoked bar. End your night of with a nice shot of Limoncello, the original Southern Italian after-dinner liquor. So remember Carbone Ristorante Italiano for your Birthday, Anniversary, or just on a night out with family or friends! Truly the best value in Hell's Kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carbone Ristorante Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance2.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (3)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (2)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Great for NON wine drinkers - as their wine offerings are limited to almost undrinkable ones
- Delicious neighborhood jointOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014I have eaten at Carbone a handful of times in the last few years and always enjoy the delicious food and attentive service. The pasta is homemade, as is the mozzarella, tasty and perfectly cooked. The portions are reasonably sized and the specials are always delectable. It is quiet small so I like to keep it my little secret!Special Features:
- Don't botherNeverAgainDined on 7/14/2014Went based on some good reviews, should have stuck with the negative ones and avoided it.The place is a hole in the wall with no ambiance what so ever. I arrived before my guest. The waiter put down one small bruschetta and never bothered to bring another one when my guest arrived so I can't comment on how it was. Started off with a glass of awful , overpriced wine. We both ordered the tri color salad with goat cheese which was taste less. I had the lasagna which was fair, but a very small portion. My guest had Chicken Scarpariello.It looked like there were 4 chicken bones on the plate with no chicken to be found. He didn't want to make me feel bad for recommending the restaurant so said it was good but later confessed it was awful.
- Hit and missLorraineVIPDined on 7/11/2014It's a treat to find a restaurant with outdoor dining in this neighborhood, but dinner was definitely hit and miss. Wine was very good. Complimentary brushetta was average at best. Salad with beets and goat cheese left a lot to be desired. Lettuce was wilted. Ravioli special with sausange and raddichio was unique -- and excellent. Ravioli special with shrimp and smoked cheese, not so good. Cannoli cream was too soft. Tiramisu -- excellent. As far as the outdoor space, it could use a little cleanup. Might ... or might not ... go back.Special Features:
- DelicousFlach2MeDined on 7/8/2014My husband and I went for the first dinner on our honeymoon. It was so delicious and, I'm no Italian, but it tasted autentic to me! I would go back in a heartbeatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- make sure you sit outsideCather123VIPDined on 6/23/2014Carbone's is a jewel, but the inside is narrow and can feel cramped. Go in good weather and make sure you sit in the charming back garden. And have the cold antipasto special if they've got it. A huge platter of meats and cheese, the quality is terrific. It's enormous and not cheap, but you're paying for the quality of ingredients. Then share a salad and a pasta, and you'll be all set. Pastas are homemade and wonderful, and the salads are a little different and fresh as can be. Love this place. A gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CEOOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Carbone is great neighborhood restaurant and meeting place with an eclectic staff and customer base. Food is excellent with Spaghetti Carbonara, Strichetti, or world class pizza on the casual dining side. Steaks, fish, and daily specials offer full menu. Haven't gone wrong yet and usually visit at least once a week when in NYCSpecial Features:
- Great place!VisitorDined on 6/9/2014The food was perfectly prepared, fresh, and delicious. There is a fully stocked bar, great staff and very nice menu with some creative specials. Like many old restaurants it is shaped like a shoebox (a small shoebox) but they don't seat you on op of your neighbors. Adequate elbow room. If you are a true New Yorker , you will love this place. The prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same name different restaurantTanlindaDined on 6/5/2014We must pay attention because they have the same name but rather different. For those who does not live in NY May make the same mistake as I did
- Don't goCandyVIPDined on 5/1/2014Given the number of womderful small Italian spots in New York, this is certainly one to avoid. The food was mediocre at best, a real disappointment.
- The following 58 reviews are from the Carbone Ristorante Italiano reviews archive.
- Lunch at New FavoriteRubyQVIPDined on 4/22/2014Met a special cousin to catch up. Was served quietly and unobtrusively. Not rushed so we had a really nice, relaxing time. The food was also very good. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cramped, loud, but excellent food.AlatethereDined on 4/18/2014This very small restaurant uses every square inch of it's space. Kind of like it would be to have a table in a subway car. The food was excellent so the experience became bearable for the eating's sake. The special ravioli stuffed with Italian sausage and chicken in a radicchio sauce was imaginative and flavorful. Perfect pasta. I'd go back on an "off hour."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not authentic and uncomfortablyFrequentdinerVIPDined on 4/4/2014Not authentic and uncomfortably loud with folding chairs and unsophisticated staff. Not a neighborhood gem
- PRE CONCERT DINNERfmaffoDined on 3/21/2014solid traditional Italian fare. very small restaurant small bar. One employee on the night we were there for bar and tables. The restaurant only has about 8 tables but she was amazing. if it were not for her talent the pre Billy Joel concert meal could have been a disaster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious authentic ItalianLynnbrownDined on 3/20/2014Great homemade pasta with seafood. All seafood cooked perfectly nothing overcooked. Even made something special that wasn't on the menu. Excellent attentive but not overbearing service. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem of a restaurantJJJJerseyCityDined on 3/19/2014This place is so unassuming. You would walk right past it and take no notice. But the food is always amazing. The owner is regularly there, and walks around to all the tables to make sure everyone is happy. It's a tight space. But the food is supreme. Go for the food. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- There has to be better in the hoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/17/2014We had a group of 6 and went here based on the reviews. Very disappointing. The food was only good. One wall was covered in aged/dirty wall paper. There has to be better Italian restaurants in the neighborhood.
- A small gemLucoDined on 3/15/2014While visiting NYC, my wife and I found this little gem by sheer luck. It is a small restaurant with a great decor and atmosphere. Food was simple but very good and service excellent. We had a great evening. I recommend it for a quiet romantic diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotOutstandingDined on 3/14/2014Came here on a Friday night and had a great meal and good times with friends. The place is small so plan your company accordingly.
- Great for a romantic eveningshannonennisDined on 2/14/2014I went to Carbones on valentines day. We had made reservations. And got right into the restaurant. The food was incredible. The service was wonderful. And everyone was incredibly friendly. We had the radicchio ravioli and the spinach ravioli. Both were delicious. The Pinot Grigio was delicious also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2014Tasted like the food I had in Italy. Very nice neighborhood restaurant and I would go back to this restaurant the next time I visit New York.Special Features:
- Nice ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/20/2014Nice ambiance. Did not seem like they had enough staff on, had to repeatedly ask for water, etc. Portions were small. Ordered a chicken dish and that was all that showed up, no pasta or vegetable. Tried to purchase a side of pasta and was denied. Had to purchase another entire entree and a vegetable side. The 4 of us were still hungry and ordered a pizza when were finished which was very good. (2 men, a child and one woman) Portions were skimpy!
- convenient to msgfrequentdinerDined on 1/4/2014That's about my only recomendation. The food was so so. I had the baked ckams special which was awful followed by lamb medallions...which was really rack of lamb. Lamb was tough but sauce was good. My wife had no complaints and enjoyed her pasta appetizer and the fish special.The restaurant is very small and on a cold day the door created quite a chill.
- Amazing1AsdDined on 1/1/2014Service was great, even on Jan 1 when everyone was running a little slow from the night before! Amazing lasagna and rigatoni. Best cannoli ever tried. Will definitely be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas day, where to goVisitingFromArubaDined on 12/25/2013While visiting NY city in the Christmas period we wanted to dine out on Christmas day. Knowing that several restaurants would not be open, we searched for an Italian restaurant on the internet that was taking reservations. We found Carbone, the pictures looked nice and the menu promising. When we arrived, our table was ready (albeit in the back of the small restaurant). The staff was courteous and service was quick. In our opinion a little too quick, but that may be the "American way" or local preference. The food was excellent and when we asked a simple pasta Alfredo for our son which was not on the menu, it was no problem. They had a good choice of daily specials and they had Vecchia Romania (two different vintages).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok for a quick dinnerJassDined on 11/29/2013I was looking for a place near my hotel for my last night in NYC because I did'nt want to walk far away. Food is ok for the price. But it is not an outstanding place. However, if you're looking for something located in teatre district, this is an ok place to eat a pizza and drink a cappucino.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Davvero buonoNandinsDined on 11/14/2013Dopo alcuni giorni di cibo americano abbiamo finalmente assaporato qualche sapore buono della nostra Italia...non pensavo che si potesse mangiare così bene a New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, okay foodFoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2013This was a last minute booking so we had low expectations but we were still very dissapointed. The service is really disjointed and after waiting ages for our menus we ordered our drinks. We got 1 glass of wine instead of the bottle we ordered for 2??? Then my husbands lasagna arrived with a dessert (I didn't order) for me? Again confusing? FInally our food arrived and I would say it was 'just okay' - certainly nothing to write home about. I wouldn't go back there even as a last minute booking. It was very mediocre. OH and the manager is loud and obnoxious and should really manage his staff better (instead of standing behind the bar and socialising with the patrons).
- found the food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2013found the food and ambiance excellent - definitely would recommend and return at a future date - service/food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd but Passable and FriendlyPhilVIPDined on 10/25/2013Nice little spot with average Italian food. Stick with the basics and you will be fine. Friendly staff and nice bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceDalaSueDined on 10/12/2013Very knowledgable staff, took very good care of us. Patio was quiet and romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Carbone Restaurants.dilbertVIPDined on 10/5/2013The are two Carbone Restaurants. One openned recently by the Rick Torrisi/ Mario Carbone team of Parm and Torrisi Italian Specialties fame. This Carbone is not that Carbone. This Carbone has pleasant, but inenpt service. Food was decent, but not memorable. On the plus side, its much cheaper than the other Carbone. Can't really recommend.
- Worth the HypeDinerDined on 10/5/2013Carbone is living up to it's reputation. The food was delicious and the service was spot on. It also had a really fun vibe. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Our new NYC favoriteMichaelCVIPDined on 10/5/2013Carbone does not disappoint in any factor, be it food, service, or ambience. The staff is attentive and well informed, the owner friendly and engaging, and the food outstanding...all of this at a reasonable price. Top it off that, to our surprise, we saw that Carbone was mentioned in the Delta Sky magazine on our way home to DC! I guess someone else noticed as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME findGenieVIPDined on 9/18/2013Thanks to Open Table I found this location. Wow, am so glad I did. The service was amazing and the food, well, let's just say it was the BEST pasta i have EVER had. MUST go to this restaurant. The ravioli was the special and was hand made with love. Melted in my mouth, cannot say enough good things about this place. I told all the staff at the Hampton to send people here.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in NY's Garment DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2013Small, quiet but very pleasant Italian restaurant hidden on W. 38th Street...started with antipasti plate with several sliced meats and cheeses which was exceptional. Entrees were cooked perfectly...lasagna was very good, as were the lamb chops served in a Barolo sauce. Service was excellent...prompt, accurate and with a very friendly attitude. Would definitely recommend this as an alternative to some of the pricier Italian restaurants nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great outdoor diningAndyDVIPDined on 8/10/2013My wife has not stopped raving about her pasta course for three days, linguini with mushrooms and clams. Bronzini, and the raviolis were also amazing. But the pizza which we had as an appetizer was just fantastic. This place is a gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!NytravelerDined on 6/29/2013Totally recommend this small restaurant. Great food, ambiance while a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!PatMDined on 6/22/2013We had been there a few years ago and had a wonderful night with great food! It seems it may have been a new owner. We did eat outside but it was a Sat night and felt it would have been nice to have tablecloths and not paper napkins. We had to ask for bread and we got 2 extremely thin slices in a good sized basket that would have 4 good sized rolls. Then to make matters worse, when we ate that, we waited but then we had to ask and got 2 more extremely half slices. The food was just fair. Dessert was OK. Would not go back again....too many really good restaurants in New York!Special Features:
- Good Italian food...MikeandLoVIPDined on 6/20/2013This is a nice little place for Italian food. It is good basic Italian cooking. There maybe better Italian restaurants but you get excellent quality for the price. The services is very good and attentive. I am sure they have a good local following. So, if you are in the neighborhood, I would stop by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.