654 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caramiany.com/
- Phone: 2122626767x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12pm - 4pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 4pm - 11pm
Thursday - Saturday 4pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Adrian Lazo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire dining room is available for rental
- Private Party Contact: Jona or Besim 2122626767x
A word from Cara Mia
Cara Mia restaurant is a neighborhood treasure in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan. Minutes from Times Square, locals and tourists alike flock to this Italian trattoria which features delicious homemade pastas, fresh meats and seafood, as well as an extensive wine list. Cara Mia's cozy and intimate atmosphere are the perfect location for a romantic dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cara Mia reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (20)good for groups (13)romantic (13)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good food, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014I've been coming to Cara Mia regularly for the last few years. On my last visit, I made reservations on OpenTable for 9:00. My party was running a little bit late and at 9:05 I received a call from an annoyed host reminding me that my reservation was at 9:00. I apologized, explained that I was literally walking on the same block at that moment and would be there within a minute. I assumed the place was packed and that they needed to give my table away if I wasn't coming. When I walked in 30 seconds later, I was shocked to find only a couple occupied tables. The service letdown continued throughout the meal as we had to ask for water, ask for bread, ask for more water and were given the check before we had a chance to order dessert.
- foodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Cara Mia is a neighborhood gem with good service and the food is consistently good.Special Features:
- Great food!BKLYNeatsDined on 8/17/2014Cara Mia has consistently excellent food and service at reasonable prices. Great location for before or after a Broadway show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4fromVAstraightscoopDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time at Cara Mia. We were early for our reservation, but the staff seated us with no problem and we had a wonderful experience. The servers were knowledgeable and very friendly. The food was excellent. The ingredients were fresh and the presentations were superb. We all tried each others dishes; they all looked so good. The restaurant was busy, but the noise level never was an issue. We have referred this restaurant to everyone we have spoken to about our visit. If we get back to New York again, we will definitely make reservations at Cara Mia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good Italian restaurant !!!Snoopy500Dined on 8/6/2014We had an enjoyable dining experience at Cara Mia, where we have eaten on a number of occasions. The food is served very promptly, so you can certainly be on time for your show. The food is fresh and well prepared, although the menu is somewhat limited and the portions are considerably smaller than those at most of the restaurants where we dine.The staff is caring and concerned and checks back frequently.
- Broadway GemDeliciousVIPDined on 8/3/2014Good Italian food - moderately priced- good atmosphere before or after the theater.Special Features:
- NicoleDined on 8/3/2014This restaraunt was average. We were a party of eight and all the food was served at the same time. A few of us ordered different fish dishes but all came with the same exact sauce even though the description stated differently. Two had the raviolis which looked like they were made in house and the sauce was very good. Service was good. No complaints but it was not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cynthia krigsmanCindyDined on 8/3/2014Always a smile from employes good service and good great price for brunch/lunch and dinner specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCvisitorDined on 8/2/2014Cara Mia was recommended by a friend. Great suggestion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Cara Mia is a great theater district restaurant with good food and great service.Special Features:
- luv2eatoutVIPDined on 7/23/2014This was our 2nd time here. Staff was wonderful, and so was the food! Great ceaser salad, eggplant, and chicken parm! Also the $19.95 pre fix menu is a fabulous deal! We will be back!Special Features:
- Great place to go after the showHankMDined on 7/23/2014Cara Mia is a great place to go after a Broadway show. It's away from the crowds in the theater district, but close enough to walk. The food is excellent, the service is pleasant, and the prices are moderate by New York standards.Special Features:
- BUSY AREA - TOO MANY KIDSLynnieOOODined on 7/21/2014Too many children in this restaurant, the restaurant was very loud as well as the children in the back of the restaurant, the table was quite small, they definitely cram a lot of people into that place. We both had fried calamari and pasta dishes, the pasta was a bit overdone and the meat with chewy- I do not think I would return here.Special Features:
- Delicious dining.giottoDined on 7/20/2014The prix fixe menu was reasonable in price and the pork dish I had was delicious. I would go again.Special Features:
- Great FindBobLDined on 7/19/2014A great local Restaurant serving good Italian food at a reasonable price. Great fishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014We arrived just after the crowd left for the theater, so I'm sure everything slowed down. The staff was friendly and available. What a surprise to find a prix-fixe dinner for $19.95 including choice of salad; although the section was slim we all found a meal. Basic Italian comfort food which was we all enjoyed. Nice selection of wines for a reasonable price. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itMangaDined on 7/16/2014Uneventful Very pedestrian. Keep walking Get a chef Learn to use spices
- Nice!GNNYDined on 7/16/2014Good value for pre-matinee lunch. Good service and pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and cozyFanoffoodDined on 7/15/2014Food was excellent. Homemade pasta with fresh seafood. A perfect balance. Left feeling satisfied yet not stuffed. Perfect for quiet dining. Service was excellent and restaurant was very clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to the TheatreRedheadDined on 7/15/2014We loved this place! We come from a city that has more restaurants per capita than any in the U.S. (Omaha, NE) I discovered this restaurant online when looking for a dinner location close to the Al Hirschfield Theater. It was charming, small enough to get great service and just around the corner from the theater. Everyone thought their food was delicious. We all ordered something different. They even specially prepared something that wasn't on the menu for my teenage granddaughter. The prices were reasonable. I highly recommend this charming place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 7/13/2014Consistently good food and service. One of my theater district favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Very pleased with first-time visit!SooziDined on 7/12/2014Cara Mia offers a nice menu and is very close to the theaters. I really enjoyed the buffalo mozzarella caprese salad, papardelle with 3 varieties of mushrooms and the creme brulee. The service was good and we were able to have a conversation and hear each other. I will certainly come back again!Special Features:
- Nice PlaceDocCVIPDined on 7/12/2014Restaurant menu at the restaurant is updated including a two course fixe lunch instead of a three course fixe lunch on the Internet. Price is lower which reflects the difference. Food is tasty and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014The food was completely so so. We got the fish special with red snapper and mussels, shrimp, and clams. The red snapped tasted old. For desset we got strawberries and cream. The cream was redi whip - all for $8.00. How hard is it to whip some real cream.
- Not too bad.dawin12Dined on 7/6/2014I see Cara Mia as either a neighborhood place or for economical pre-theater dining. We got the prix fixe lunch before a 3PM show on a Sunday. It's fine for that, but I don't think foodies would be too impressed. Our salads were just OK, and the entrees were competent enough. Pretty comfy feel inside. My Moretti beer was pretty tasty, though.
- Good food!JenniferDVIPDined on 7/3/2014This place is great for home-made tasting Italian food. Great for dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, unimpressive settingAlexVIPDined on 7/3/2014While our food was satisfying and cooked perfectly, the restaurant had black flies buzzing around the dining room (windows were not open so I don't know where they came from). For a pre theater meal, everything was fairly priced, and the standout dishes included the tilapia with olives, tomatoes and potatoes in a white wine sauce, and the Cavatelli bolognese. Unfortunately the setting was depressing and the ambiance was nonexistent.
- Great dinner spot before a showDSfromLBDined on 7/2/2014The staff is always friendly and prompt and the food it great. Even if you are short on time before a show, they somehow make it feel like there is no rush. You end up having a great dinner and getting out of there in plenty of time. It is also a great place to go around 7:30 for a nice dinner when you really aren't on a schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/1/2014We selected Cara Mia hopeful that it would be a convenient pre-theater restaurant. The food was good and service was very quick so it was ideal for our family with 3 kids in tow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEALMANDined on 6/21/2014ALWAYS A PLEASER DINING AT CARA MIA GOOD FOOD , DRINK AND SERVICE ALONG WITH THE THEATER MAKES A GREAT NIGHT OUTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I liked it.GaryDined on 6/20/2014Good food, good service, pleasant decor, reasonable prices, close to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodsuzikell13Dined on 6/19/2014I used to absolutely adore this restaurant, back when they had a more extensive wine list and chalkboard, by the glass specials every evening, which they no longer have. The food is still excellent, love the service and the ambiance, but the wine list is no longer spectacular, and I wonder why. They don't serve liquor, so why are they skimping on the wine selection when they used to have a more extensive list and specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2014The Cara Mia staff did not seem to know we had reserved via OpenTable. The special beet salad was made with stale, wilted arugula and beets seemingly out of a bottle. The pasta and tiramisu were run-of-the-mill. The location is good for pre-theater.
- foodieVIPDined on 6/17/2014Cara Mia is consistently good...good food and good service. It's a great theater district restaurant. The staff is a always warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- AWESOME!BergerDined on 6/8/2014One of my favorite places to eat when I'm in the city - I'm never disappointed - and Cara Mia came through again. I have personally recommended this restaurant to all of my friends and they have all enjoyed eating here as much as I do. Grazie!Special Features:
- noise level defening.pkslimitedDined on 6/7/2014Veal was tough. The worst part was the noise level was awful. Couldn't wait to leave.
- Good but don't go for cocktailsGaryDDined on 6/6/2014This is a great neighborhood gem with good food and a nice ambiance. But they only serve wine and beer so go somewhere else for that martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2014We arrived late and were served a lovely meal in timely fashion. Food was very good, and the service was superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My last visit to Cara MiaNYfoodieDined on 6/5/2014We have eaten in Cara Mia for years. Well located in the theater district, it has been a reliable and reasonable place to eat. After the meal last week, we may not go back. We chose the Prix Fixe as we have often done ($20 each). The Caesar Salad consisted of 1 cup of torn lettuce pieces with a pedestrian dressing. No zip to it at all. The pasta dish was acceptable, But the servers were on top of us. If a fork was put down, the plate disappeared. Our reservation was at 5:30. We finished our main course and received our bill by 6:10. And the bill, with two glasses of wine, no dessert, tax and tip was still $78. The next time we will spend a bit more somewhere else.
- eat3inbogotaDined on 6/5/2014If you are looking for a good Italian restaurant before theatre, I would recommend this. It's very noisy but the food is good and the service is not too rushed.Special Features: