654 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caramiany.com/
- Phone: (212) 262-6767
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12pm - 4pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 4pm - 11pm
Thursday - Saturday 4pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Adrian Lazo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire dining room is available for rental
- Private Party Contact: Jona or Besim 2122626767x
A word from Cara Mia
Cara Mia restaurant is a neighborhood treasure in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan. Minutes from Times Square, locals and tourists alike flock to this Italian trattoria which features delicious homemade pastas, fresh meats and seafood, as well as an extensive wine list. Cara Mia's cozy and intimate atmosphere are the perfect location for a romantic dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cara Mia reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (15)great for lunch (14)romantic (13)good for groups (13)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (6)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- I am not familiar with theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/10/2008I am not familiar with the area and was in town for a convention. This is the perfect neighborhood restaurant. The food was delicious. I was there for a business lunch and we were all impressed with the food and service. I will definitely be back next time I am in town.Special Features:
- great value, nice menu, appetizingOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/2/2008great value, nice menu, appetizing specials, nice wait staff.Special Features:
- the meal was great, as wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2008the meal was great, as was the wine & capuccino! I would go back again and recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Great service. Friendly anddukeelVIPDined on 5/29/2008Great service. Friendly and helpful waitors. Meals are always good.Special Features:
- Unfortunately, the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2008Unfortunately, the restaurant was packed, so it was a bit too cozy. However, the service was excellent and perfectly prepared food served in a timely fashion.
- this was the 1st time I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/26/2008this was the 1st time I was there and it was great. I picked this place fro my sister's b'day and cause my mom is a vegeterian. we all had a great time. they brought the cake out and everyone in the rest. was singing happy b'day to my sister. it's a great place to eat- the food is really good, and they staff/owner is friendly. I'm going back with friends!!!Special Features:
- have been here 30 times overOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2008have been here 30 times over 6 years and we love it - great food always; genuinely good service and even very well priced!!Special Features:
- My table was not ready atOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/21/2008My table was not ready at 6:15 which was the time of my reservation.Special Features:
- I was disappointed becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/19/2008I was disappointed because I usually find Cara Mia's food and service excellent. Pasta was overcooked -- microwaved, even. Service was slow.
- I live in Philadelphia, soOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2008I live in Philadelphia, so I don't get a chance to eat here as often as I'd like. My first time was a few years back, and it was a memorable experience. The second time (5/17/08)was just as good. The food is second to none, the service is great, and the prices are VERY reasonable. I ordered the chicken special, which came with artichokes. I decided to 'try' the artichokes, even though I (personally) don't like them at all. Somehow, the chef at Cara Mia found a way to make, even the artichokes, very tasty. I'll make a point to get back to this restaurant whenever I visit New York. Any chance for a Cara Mia II in Philly???Special Features:
- We had a large group (10-people).OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2008We had a large group (10-people). They were very accommodating and we did not feel rushed.
- The food is excellent andSweetToothDined on 5/16/2008The food is excellent and the prices are very reasonable for the theatre district. The specials are always "special" and the quantity is more than sufficient. The wine list also affords some very good choices. The staff is very cognizant of the theatre crowd and does a great job to provide excellent service ensuring that the patrons make it to the theatre on time. This is our second visit and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- love the restaurant -- oneOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/15/2008love the restaurant -- one of my favs in the theater district.Special Features:
- Always happy to bring friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/14/2008Always happy to bring friends here despite the pre-theatre rush.Special Features:
- Our waiter was just okay.nicknackDined on 5/13/2008Our waiter was just okay. He seemed uninterested and would look away from us when announcing the specials. Noise was louder than usual because of front doors being opened and rush hour traffic passing by.Special Features:
- Handled a large group well.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2008Handled a large group well. Honored our special request to have a table in the rear of the restaurant. Food always excellent and served hot. We will return!Special Features:
- The small dining room is adorableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2008The small dining room is adorable and comfortable, even when full. The staff is friendly and accomodating. And the food, including mushroom risotto and gnocchi, while nothing out of the ordinary, is very good Italian.
- Would have appreciated beingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/4/2008Would have appreciated being offered the price fix menu without having to ask for it.
- Often when I go to the theater,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/30/2008Often when I go to the theater, I eat at Cara Mia. The food is always delicious and the service is very good. It gets a little loud but if you don't mind that it's worth going the extra avenue for the theater.Special Features:
- Very reasonable pre-fixe lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/28/2008Very reasonable pre-fixe lunch menu available with salad, entree and dessert. As it was rainy day, we were only customers at lunch and thus, very quiet with good food.Special Features:
- The homemade pastas that theyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2008The homemade pastas that they are known for were great. The food was good, not great overall. Staff was difficult to communicate with and the wine list needs work. Our biggest issue was the table spacing. One person in our party is tall (6' 8'') and the tables were tight for any average height individual. He was very uncomfortable throughout the meal.Special Features:
- reliably good food..and veryebe9800VIPDined on 4/22/2008reliably good food..and very pleasant staff. great pre-theatre!Special Features:
- This tiny little restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/21/2008This tiny little restaurant in Hell's Kitchen looks like nothing from the outside, but inside it is warm, cozy and inviting. The service was wonderful and the food excellent. We had their wonderful bruschetta, antipasta and their pasta specials. I've already recommended Cara Mia to friends. Wonderful neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Cara Mia----a wonderful findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2008Cara Mia----a wonderful find in New York City---great food at a very reasonable price.Special Features:
- We got to the Cara Mia earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2008We got to the Cara Mia early and they had no problem seating us with a minimal wait so we could make a play on time. It was an over-all enjoyable time.
- Great food, but was a bitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2008Great food, but was a bit small and tables are close together. The noise level seemed high also, so if you're out for a qiuet, romantic evening it may not be the right place. Wine and beer only which we did not know ahead of time. Nice bottle of cab and the cheesecake was terrific!
- Great little place with veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2008Great little place with very reasonable prices and even better food!!Special Features:
- We go to Cara Mia frequentlyEat2LDined on 4/4/2008We go to Cara Mia frequently for pre-theater dinner. The food is consistently good and the service is prompt without being rushed. It can be a little crowded. Always a great value.Special Features:
- From the reviews I read, IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/2/2008From the reviews I read, I imagined a little more sophisticated place, which made me a little disappointed. It's a average looking place. Moderately priced as a New York restaurant. My friends and I ordered same dish, seafood pasta. The pasta was very good quality one. But we did not care too much their tomato sauce. We should have tried different ones. After we had Italian lunch at MoMA and Met (Suprisingly fashionable and good food), this place and the dishes looked and tasted too much like home cooking. Service was good and timely. We could leave for the theater with a little extra time.Special Features:
- Food very good. AppreciatedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2008Food very good. Appreciated not having to worry about making a show from a 6:30 reservation. Friendly wait staff.Special Features:
- only problem was that thereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2008only problem was that there were major theater groups going and coming. other than that, the service was very good and accomodating, and the food was also very good. They got us out quickly once we ordered, knowing that we had a theater curtain to make.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2008The food was delicious and staff was very friendly. The restaurant was very crowded and some people waiting for a table refused to wait outside, so they were right on top of us for a few minutes. Once everyone was seated, everything was great. Unfortunately we were on a time restraint, but next time I go, I would like to sit an relax with a meal.
- I ended up not staying beingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2008I ended up not staying being as I had the reservation and they said they could not sit us until 7PM. I had theatre tickets for an 8PM show and would not have made it. They need to work on keeping reservations.
- This was not my first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/26/2008This was not my first visit to this restaurant. The entrees, appetizers, and pasta are always excellent. This time, however, I ordered the Ceaser salad and was not very impressed. I do think, since they have so many daily specials, they should present them on a daily menu instead of having the waiter recite them to every table. It would certainly make it easier to decided. Also we would have a better idea of the price of each special.Special Features:
- Cara Mia was wonderful. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008Cara Mia was wonderful. My husband said it was the best brocolli rabe he ever had. Kids enjoyed it. Service was very friendly. This was our second time there and I would go again!Special Features:
- i called the restaurant ancOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/21/2008i called the restaurant anc cancelled my reservation for this particlar day since i had a change of plans. however, i have eaten at cara mia in the past and therefore i have filled out your questionatire.
- Cara Mia was the perfect restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2008Cara Mia was the perfect restaurant choice for a pre-theatre experience. The meal was delicious - from appetizer to dessert!Special Features:
- reservations through openOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008reservations through open table were great. we arrived about 5 minutes after our reserved time and the table was waiting. the seating was very tight with typical small new york tables. the service was outstanding. we were never rushed or neglected even though there was a full house. the staff was always courtious and professional. it was finally nice to see a restaurant address ladies first throughout the evening. the salads were good but my chicken parm was ok. my wife enjoyed her eggplant parm. the desserts was fantastic. prices were more than reasonable and we would return again without reservations.
- We usually eat here pre-theatre.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/14/2008We usually eat here pre-theatre. We have never had a bad meal or poor service. Despite the pressure, the food is cooked to order and to perfection and the service is always considerate. They have the best ricotta cheesecake in town.Special Features:
- Convenient for the theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/12/2008Convenient for the theatre with good food and very nice service. Reservations are honored and the staff is pleasant and efficient.Special Features: