654 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caramiany.com/
- Phone: (212) 262-6767
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12pm - 4pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 4pm - 11pm
Thursday - Saturday 4pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Adrian Lazo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire dining room is available for rental
- Private Party Contact: Jona or Besim 2122626767x
A word from Cara Mia
Cara Mia restaurant is a neighborhood treasure in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan. Minutes from Times Square, locals and tourists alike flock to this Italian trattoria which features delicious homemade pastas, fresh meats and seafood, as well as an extensive wine list. Cara Mia's cozy and intimate atmosphere are the perfect location for a romantic dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cara Mia reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (15)great for lunch (14)romantic (13)good for groups (13)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (6)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Consistently delicious, large portions!GinaDined on 11/22/2014We truly enjoyed our dinner at Cara Mia. We arrived before 5 pm and the Saturday crowd and received exceptional service and attention. The Cara Mia salad was delicious, the chicken cutiet parmigiana was excellent and I absolutely enjoyed gluten free pasta with chicken and vodka sauce. The wine list is extensive. We were asked multiple times if everything was ok by the manager, waiter and waitress...very attentive staff that obviously work together! Suggest a reservation especially on a weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch placeCosmoladyDined on 11/22/2014A friend who visits broadway frequently recommended this resturant. We agree! Varied fixed price lunch and dinner. Perfect size portions. Everyone enjoyed their lunch. Service was professional. Great pre show lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valuecoach1Dined on 11/19/2014One of best values for excellent Italian food anywhere in ManhattanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great discoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We find this cozy restaurant years ago and having been coming regularly Great homemade pasta dishes Reasonable prices on good and wine Amazing lunch special menu Personal serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold & breezythumpVIPDined on 11/15/2014I brought 2 friends from Quebec to Cara Mia Saturday night. We were seated by the front door and boy was it a chilly spot to sit, even for the Canadians. They really need to do something about that serious draft when people come in & out. The food was pretty good although my chicken was too salty.
- Weeknight prix fix in theater areaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014The weeknight prix fix menu brings us back regularly. We particularly enjoy the Saltimbocca, with its tender pork, generous portion of spinach, and flavorful sauce. Soups have home-cooked flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinneranniversaryDined on 11/11/2014my wife an I ate here prior to enjoying a musical play. The food was great and the attention was phenomenal. they even brough a dessert with a candle to sing happy anniversary to my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre DinnernanlDined on 11/7/2014This is a great restaurant for dinner before the theatre. They have great food and get you out in time to get to the show.Special Features:
- So Freaking GoodRaybieDined on 11/7/2014Needed a great place to treat my daughter & her friend to dinner. Being theater wig & makeup specialists they'd been too busy to come up to 46th for dinner. Thanks to Open Table we were able to make a reservation, get in & out in less than an hour & had the best meal any of us had in quite a while. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we never made itLadyjayneeDined on 11/6/2014Took 2 hrs to get into NYC and missed dinner, Missed dinner
- JamesnycnyDined on 11/1/2014we had a 8 pm resv It was 8:30 abs we we're still standing outside the restaurant in the cold rain! Hostesses not very apologetic & Will never go back!
- Top Notch Food, Vibrant AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Cara Mia has an exellent menu for Itallian lovers (not Olive Garden lovers). Wine list is adequate and food is fresh and hot. The restaurant is small and can get crowded with exceptionally high noise levels. This is the only reason I rated it low on ambiance and would not suggest it for a romantic couple's night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local Italian in TheatrelandIanKDined on 11/1/2014Finding a table in an Italian restaurant the night before the New York Marathon with all of the runners pasta loading was not easy. This gem came on recommendation and did not disappoint. We had a 6.45 booking and despite arriving 15 mins early our party of 7 was found a table. Service wax brisk and food delicious. It was a pretty frenetic atmosphere which was great but this may have been down to the Marathon crowd.Special Features:
- Rushed and unwelcomingem12Dined on 11/1/2014I had been to Cara Mia multiple times and enjoyed it, but that was a few years ago. On our most recent trip, everything felt different. The tables were crowded quite close together, and it was so hard to hear our party with all the noise of the place. Unfortunately, due to some medical issues in our party we were a few minutes late for our 5 pm reservation. Once we arrived, we were told many times that our table was needed at 6:30. There were 9 of us. It was very stressful, and hardly relaxing, to be told repeatedly that we needed to leave. The waitstaff became less polite the closer it got to 6:30. On our way out, someone apologized to the 6:30 reservation for us taking so long, in front of my party. I didn't feel welcome at all.
- NICE SURPRISEBARBIEDined on 10/29/2014CHOSE THIS PLACE BECAUSE OF PROXIMITY TO THEATER AND THEIR MENU LOOKED GOOD. WE PICKED A GEM!! FOOD WAS OUTSTANDING AND THE STAFF WAS EXTREMELY ATTENTIVE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 10/27/2014Cara Mia is a favorite restaurant in the theater district. The staff could not be nicer and more accommodating. The food is consistently good and the wine, too.Special Features:
- great mealJackDined on 10/25/2014We came back after we ate there 2 weeks before for my wife's birthday and everything was delightful . She had a shrimp dish and she said it was the best shrimp she ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely DoneMarkRDined on 10/24/2014We ate here before going to a play. The food and service were great! We told them upfront we had a play and they were very accommodating to make sure everything came out on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- madsopDined on 10/24/2014Lovely arugula salad with pear and gorgonzola! The bread basket included a delicious focaccia, as well with fresh tomatoes. Yum!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!PaddyDined on 10/23/2014Cara Mia offers a wonderful dinning experience. The food was hot and delicious served by a friendly staff.Special Features:
- After the ShowDinerShoreDined on 10/19/2014Went to Cara Mia after seeing Kinky Boots around the corner! Good food, nice menu, wonderful service and convenient to the theatre district. Would come again if in the area!!Special Features:
- Good value for the moneyJoeBoSoxVIPDined on 10/16/2014The best eggplant parm in NYC. All four diners had a good meal. Space is tight but not inhibiting private conversation. Stick to pasta and red sauce dishes. Very accomodating when part of a dinner group is late, even on Weekend nights. Reservation recommended for dinner before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ON THE TOWNMEALMANDined on 10/11/2014ITS OUR PLACE TO GO WHEN IN THE CITY GREAT FOOD,OUTSTANDING SERVICE AND FARE PRICING .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnMDined on 10/11/2014Third visit and I always enjoy Cara Mia. Great for any occasion. Food is consistently good and the service cheerful!Special Features:
- beanz75Dined on 10/9/2014a pleasant surprise, very good fresh foods, great wine, excellent price for valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014Local neighborhood place with well prepared food, served very attentively by the wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very YummyDaisyMaisyDined on 10/2/2014Our experience was great! Good service, good food, good location. Pasta was very fresh. Would visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food near theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/1/2014The food was very tasty and their prix-fixe lunch and dinner menus are a real bargain. The veal chop, while pricey, was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre-theatreMartyDined on 10/1/2014Good place in the theater district. Food is good and the service is friendly. Prices are reasonable. There are good pre-fixed dinner as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014A for Amazing! The seafood pasta was the best. Prices are reasonable and food was superb! Location is walking distance to any of the theatres.Special Features:
- Sad Disappointmentsue7Dined on 9/20/2014Was disappointed in this recent visit. Although we were promptly seated and served, the food was weary and not well prepared. We usually have found Cara Mia as a good pre-theatre place to eat but will sadly be crossing it off our list.
- Great Place!Diane1Dined on 9/14/2014I've eaten at this restaurant around five, six times because they have great food and the prices are very reasonable and anytime I bring a friend, they also love it. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing homemade pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We were on a family trip celebrating my daughters birthday and I was in search of italian. This was the perfect place! Kids are ages 12, 10 and 7 and while there wasn't a kids menu per se, they made what they requested. All of our dishes were pasta dishes and beyond delicious homemade pasta and sauce. Salads, breads, dessert equally awesome. Thanks for a great dinner on our last nite in NYC!Special Features:
- Top notch ingredients!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Dishes are fairly basic but fresh and high quality ingredients make every bite delicious. Dishes were fresh and hot, service attentive and good variety on the menu. Could use more interesting vegetarian options. The tables were very small and tightly packed together, and very noisy. The the food was great and prices very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A secret place in Hell's KitchenMagenta50Dined on 9/8/2014I have been going to Cara Mia for over 10 years. I have never gotten a bad meal. Service is good and the ambiance is beautiful and quaint for such a small restaurant. I have been there with my husband, girlfriends and family. My cousin was visiting from Italy and she loved it. Very simple and fantastic food! Great for before or after a Broadway Show. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- BubblesBubblesDined on 9/6/2014This is a go to neighborhood gem. When you step into the restaurant you are transported to Italy. The food is consistently good as is the service. The only caveat is that it gets to be very very noisy when all seats are filled. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- KEENJVIPDined on 9/6/2014Good traditional Italian food in an intimate space. Tables are close together, and it can get a bit tight. On a Saturday night, it was very noisy. As people left, it got easier to talk. Good pre-theatre option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a genbbh1Dined on 8/30/2014The lunch prixe-fixe was made to order and delicious, bread and olive oil also. Service was great both from our server to the host and hostess. Nice surroundiings clean and crisp with linen table cloths and napkins. High on my list of to-go-to places in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodYUMMYDined on 8/29/2014The food was amazing. The crowd for a Friday evening in the city on Labor Day weekend was a bit older and pre-theater; but the salad and main courses were delicious and the service was great. Will totally go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014I've been coming to Cara Mia regularly for the last few years. On my last visit, I made reservations on OpenTable for 9:00. My party was running a little bit late and at 9:05 I received a call from an annoyed host reminding me that my reservation was at 9:00. I apologized, explained that I was literally walking on the same block at that moment and would be there within a minute. I assumed the place was packed and that they needed to give my table away if I wasn't coming. When I walked in 30 seconds later, I was shocked to find only a couple occupied tables. The service letdown continued throughout the meal as we had to ask for water, ask for bread, ask for more water and were given the check before we had a chance to order dessert.