Captain Mas Seafood and Crab House
46303 McClellan Way
Sterling, VA 20165Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Captain Mas Seafood and Crab House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.captainmas.com/
- Phone: 7034445400x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm – 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm – 10:00pm,, Sunday: 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Thursday - Ladies Night: 1/2 price Raw Bar 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
11:00am to 3:00pm
Diner & Dance Sunday 5 -10 Pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We take great pride in serving the finest, freshest seafood. We put high demands on our suppliers to deliver the catch daily in order to serve the tastiest and freshest dishes, unsurpassed anywhere. Host your event with us and treat your guests to a seafood experience they are sure to remember.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8556145945
A word from Captain Mas Seafood and Crab House
Captain Mas welcomes you to our fabulous Dining Room. It's the only place where you can enjoy eating steamed hard shell crabs and the finest, freshest seafood in Sterling's most beautiful restaurant setting. We offer a menu full of classic seafood dishes, live crabs, steak and vegetarian options. In addition, we will offer daily specials depending on what is in season. Four Star Chef, Frank Imbarlina, together with our Executive Chef, have combined forces to bring together a most exciting menu. Their skills and cooking techniques are the reasons that we know we will have the best seafood in the Washington Metropolitan area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Captain Mas Seafood and Crab House reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (1)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OT readersNonicknameVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had a nice dinner at Captain Mas on a Friday. Were pleased with the food, but our server was outstanding. She was doing dual duty at the bar, but provided nice recommendations for our meal with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the spiced shrimpOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014peel and eat shrimp were good; not enough shrimp in shrimp and grits; cod was fine; two orders of fried oysters-one cooked and one not really; service was good
- SavvyLadyVIPDined on 9/4/2014Awesome! What a find we stumbled on. Fresh seafood, fun environment, can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Probably need to try againRyanVIPDined on 8/30/2014I don't think this is a crab place. The crabs were fair, not terrible, but the experience just wasn't there. The crabs were very under seasoned (feedback I've seen on here too) and they were served with butter on a silver plate. I'm used to crabs on paper with dirty hands. The crab cakes were fair and pan seared according to the menu but they were willing to broil it at our request. They were very kind to our 2 year old and servers were very nice. I think they should be serving Italian food or Med. food. If I return I'll try something prepared like a sea bass, tuna, or some oysters.Special Features:
- Good Local Spot for Seafood LoversLeesburgLisaDined on 8/29/2014I get tired of the same old thing at the national chain restaurants. I wanted a seafood restaurant for my daughter's 20th birthday. The people were really nice and my seafood lovers enjoyed the Oysters Rockefeller! I thoroughly enjoyed my fish and chips.Special Features:
- Good foodJman27Dined on 8/23/2014Captain Mas was not what I expected. I thought it was going to be a more upscale restaurant, but it was more of a bar/restaurant, with football on the many TVs on the walls. The servers was prompt and friendly, and we had are drinks within minutes. Food was excellent! We had Diver scallops with crab mashed potatoes with Gator bits and hush puppies to start with. They can maybe do a little more with the decorating. Besides a big crab hanging on the wall and the multiple TVs, it still looks like and old Ruby Tuesdays. I will definitely be returning for the excellent food and casual atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Captain MasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014I visited on a Wednesday evening after 6:00 pm. There were two other tables with people. One table after I showed. No reason for the Slow service, over cooked food, greasy fries, & waiter forgot part of order. Would not recommend and will not return. The only good thing was the owner, at least that is who I think he is, he was very friendly.
- Liked the Scallops25straightDined on 8/19/2014The scallops were good. The portion was larger than expected with a nice combination of potato and vege.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jumbo Crabs, ReallytastyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Rather than drive to Baltimore we decided to try Captain Mas. It is tucked away behind the cascades Home Depot so you wouldn't stumble on it unless you know where you were going. The place doesn't feel like a crab house, more like a chain restaurant. Spouse had fried shrimp that he enjoyed and I had crabs, Jumbo Crabs. The were meaty. Could have used more seasoning in the steaming process but were good. In the future we will sit outside favoring the picnic atmosphere of picking.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood spotwilsonVIPDined on 8/8/2014Good restaurant for seafood, tasty dishes with some unexpected flavors that were good eats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waiter was awesomeChickVIPDined on 7/24/2014The food was good, We all had something entirely different and we all were very happy with our food. Nice portions and great presentations along with tasty food. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Crab fest!Live8FeastDined on 7/4/2014We had the All You Can Eat crabs special - choice of blue crabs and snow crabs. Jason, the bartender served us and he was on point with the crabs refill and we did not even have to wait. we had a table close to the bar and had fun watching/ access to the world cup games and Wimbledon match. Lots of parking area. The Bloody Mary drink was good served with a strip of crispy bacon!!Special Features:
- The following 55 reviews are from the Captain Mas Seafood and Crab House reviews archive.
- Fabulous Father's Day FeastTheGooseGroupDined on 6/15/2014My father was in the mood for crab legs and we found Captain Mas through Open Table. Captain Mas' Father's Day Feast was the perfect idea for my father - All you can eat crab legs for $45.00. This was our first time at Captain Mas. We were the first ones (customers) to show up for their special Feast. The menu had a good variety, especially since I'm a picky eater and not much into the seafood items. My father ordered the special Feast, my mother ordered the crab cakes entree and I ordered the steak entree. We had oysters and buffalo shrimp for appetizers. The staff was attentive and the food was delicious. We appreciated the fact we were not rushed to eat and got to enjoy our meals. Overall, the Feast was well worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When ever you need itRichVIPDined on 5/30/2014This can be you go to local place for seafood. Fresh and quality! Very comfortable if you are just eating or going to the bar to watch one of the many easily viewable big screens from the bar or the surrounding booths, or selecting a seat in a more private setting. The start with complimentary home made potato chips was very nice. Also, their selection of specialty drinks was new and quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatBeccabooDined on 5/11/2014The food was good but not great. It would have been better had when I ordered my 1/2 dozen crabs they realized that crab eaters, well real crab eaters, don't use butter on Maryland Blue Crabs. After 3 attempts to get apple cider vinegar I finally had some delivered to the table. I read mixed reviews of this place so I was interested to see what held true. Found 3 things: 1- Service is poor, these people have no familiarity with the type of food they sell. 2- They can't decide if they are an upscale dining experience or a true seafood place. I vote for seafood place, we need more of those! 3- The tables/booths are not large enough for four people to eat comfortably unless you get a waiter that knows when to clear items from the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a little more room...RahBDined on 5/10/2014My family and I really enjoyed Captain Mas. Our food and service was excellent. My daughters loved their crab-cakes and my wife has decided to attempt shrimp & grits at home. Jason (our server) was very timely with refills and inquires. We liked the option for patio seating, but decided to remain inside due to threat of rain. The only issue (not really even an issue), we felt very cramped in the booth which we were initially seated. The table we moved to offered more 'body' room. Overall, a great experience for my family; especially my wife who is a seafood lover; we will go back for mas!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gemcrich113VIPDined on 4/26/2014We did not know that this place existed. Had a Groupon deal, so we tried it. The food was really good. We had the fried oysters and the calamari for appetizers. I had the scallops with crab mashed potatoes - it was delicious. The scallops were plump and done just right. My husband had the crab capellini, which was also very good. We would most definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/26/2014Food was excellent. Seafood was very fresh and the prices reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood CrabhouseWW2OTVIPDined on 3/31/2014It's great to have a crab house back in the neighborhood after Joe's Crab Shack closed. Great and friendly service. The food is very creative and tasty. It's not cheap, but fresh seafood rarely is. We'll be back to sample the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great find!LindaVIPDined on 3/23/2014We found Capt Mas in looking for a place to meet some friends. We decided to try this and were glad we did. The service was excellent and the seafood was all fresh, prepared very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findTabbyDined on 2/28/2014food was great, as was the service, it was a little hard to find, overall recommend to everyone who likes seafoodI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, can't stressmicchapyDined on 2/15/2014Excellent service, can't stress that enough. Staff was friendly and expedient. Food was on par, but nothing amazing. A little pricey for what we ordered considering the quality of food was standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not good. Service was finOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Me and my wife went to this place for a $99 Valentines day special for two. So I don't how it is normally, but for on this night the food was not good. Plus I hardly complain about food. The Lobster Bisque tasted like cough medicine, the crab cakes tasted as if they just dumped the crab meat from the can to my plate. The desert was good and the shrimp cocktail appetizer was good as well, although shrimp cocktail is hard to screw up. So for the price of 50 bucks a person, I definitely did not feel as if we got our moneys worth. I very rarely write a bad review, but there was no way I can honestly recommend this place from my one experience.
- Not quite ready for premier statusjfsworldDined on 2/14/2014We went for the Valentine's Day special. We were wanting seafood and also wanted to try something new. The biggest issues was that the service was super slow and the food was not $98 dollar special for two. Even though we had a reservation it took 20 minutes to be seated. The tables are so small The crab bisque was flavorful. They had run out of steak (told to us 20 minutes after we ordered it. We both the order the crab cakes. They were very dry with little flavor. We were very disappointed. But on a positive note the owner and our server were very nice. They even ran to Safe way to get steaks for the group on the table next to us. They have the heart they have to improve on the execution especially considering their completions.
- Very good food, terrible serviceMarkDined on 2/14/2014The food saved the entire evening. Even with reservations, we waited about 15 minutes before we were seated. Once we were seated, we waited 20 minutes before the waitress stopped by our table. There seemed to only be 2 waiters/waitresses working the entire half of the building in which we were seated. Several times I watched someone from the kitchen wander through the dining room carrying food, looking for the table to which the food belonged. The food was really, really good. The crab cakes were awesome. The stuff shrimp was really good and the shrimp was cooked perfectly. The asparagus was very good and cooked perfectly. The twice stuffed potato left something to be desired, I wouldn't get that again. The food alone redeemed the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A comedy of errorsBrentDined on 2/14/2014The first warning should've been lots of availability 2 hours before dinner on Valentine's Day. When we got there, the Maitre'D immediately started apologizing that things are running slowly. I ordered a white sangria - they brought red. My wife ordered a bottle of Prosecco. They brought a bottle of Brut sparkling wine (not Prosecco), which we sent back, followed by a second, different bottle of Brut, which also went back. My wife never got a drink. The food was just OK -- not worth the $47.50 each. The crab bisque had a huge lump of flavorless crab in the middle. Crab cakes were fine. Steak bland. Crab legs OK. We had to ask for both a steak knife and cracker. Waitress was nice, but not very good. The place might be OK for happy hour.
- Valentines DaymsladyjaeDined on 2/11/2014We had such fun! Good food and lots of laughter.We will return for more good times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh SeafoodGoodEatsVIPDined on 1/26/2014I've been a few times....shrimp, fish tacos, brunch, hush puppies…all very good! I like the entertainment they have from time to time, open mic, acoustic players, etc. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food.DuchessDined on 1/19/2014Pasta with crab was outstanding. Service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden treasure!SingingjazminDined on 1/19/2014When you walk in you are immediately given a warm welcome. The restaurant is beautiful inside and the ambiance will remind you of your last island vacation. The menu is amazing and also interesting. There definitely aren't many places in northern VA where you can get Gator Tots!!! The sweet potato pancakes are to die for. But the crabs most definitely are the best! There are so flavorful and meaty and the price is just as good! So undoubtedly go to Captain Mas seafood and crabhouse! Where the food is never too crabby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was only ok. I haveMikkiDined on 1/14/2014The food was only ok. I have had much better. The service was very good.
- Great New Find!kayceeintulsaVIPDined on 1/9/2014Finally got around to trying out Capt Mas and wasn't disappointed. We had great service and food was excellent. Had fish n chips and crabcakes -- both prepared perfectly. Nice bar with happy hour food and drink specials as well. It's a little off beaten path in back of shopping center but definitely worth trouble of locating it. Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic seafood find!EricinAshburnDined on 12/31/2013We visited this restaurant for New Years Eve and just loved everything! Everything was done perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fresh seafood locallyBrownsDined on 12/28/2013We always love eating here and usually bring family & friends! Little noisy this time with 3 very unruly /unhappy babies! I fault the parents for 1 bring a child so young & 2 for not making them behave! Oh well they do the same at home! None the less I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SeafoodVW49VIPDined on 11/10/2013We were skeptical about seafood and crabs in Sterling. While not as good as places on Chesapeake Bay, this location was very convenient and luckily our dozen crabs were delicious for November. Service was friendly and the owner checked on us. We also tried the gator tots (a bit chewy but sauce was great), fish taco, crab burger and house salads. All were good though not inexpensive. We lucked out that this Sunday evening was open mic night for singers who had a wide variety of talent. In addition to enjoying a nice seafood dinner we got live entertainment as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Captain MaskathiDined on 10/12/2013name is odd until the staff tells you Mas is Sam spelled backward & Sam is one of the owners then it makes sense. When you walk into the place, there is raw bar that wets your appetite and you know the seafood is going to be good! We started with the bacon bloody mary - YUMMMY! I had shrimp cocktail that was perfect and my friend had the gator bites which she loved. They were moist and came with a sauce that she loved - a bit tangy and a bit sweet. I had the crab cake burger - took off all the fixings because the crab cake was so big. Little to no filler in this crab cake and it was cooked to perfection.! I also had the mac and cheese as my side (totally breaking the diet) and it was delicious, but way to much for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!CaptMasDined on 10/5/2013We found a $30 for $15 coupon and decided to try it, Great food and service!! A little pricy but the king crab legs were huge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, food decentawesum1VIPDined on 9/28/2013We had a relatively new waiter/server. He was still very eager to please, very cordial and polite, unlike most who are jaded in providing good service. The food was okay - the crab linguine was mediocre. Their crabcake, however, was actually very good compared to most seafood restaurants. Better than Fisherman's Inn in Kent Island, for those who are true seafood restaurant lovers. They actually were lump crab meat serve in good portion and not a lot of bread crumbs or other filling that most restaurants would pile on. On our way out, the manager (or owner it seemed) wished us a good night and offered us some candy in a tin box which he held open in his hand, more personal than typical mints/left by the hostess desk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good New RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2013Captain Mas Seafood will be a welcome restaurant in the Sterling area as there aren't any decent close seafood restaurants. The staff is super friendly, as is the management. The food was good, a little different than what was listed but management is open to suggestions on how to make it read appropriately. They want to get involved with the schools, so that is good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need a Gas MasAmosVIPDined on 9/2/2013From the very start, we knew this wasn't going to go well. Server never heard of the wine we wanted even though right on menu, the "sommelier" tried to use corkscrew on screw on cap to open wine, they didn't have jumbo or extra large crabs, king crab legs were either old/frozen/overcooked, diver scallops were bay size and very few. Definitely don't go. Restaurant will be out of business soon we hope! There were only 4 people when we arrived and 7 when we left. Can't serve 'fresh' seafood that way. It's more of a bar with lots of big screens surrounding it.