Captain James Landing
2127 Boston Street
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Captain James Landing
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.captainjameslanding.com/
- Phone: 4103278600x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 12:00pm; Brunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We offer complete catering services for special events and corporate functions. This allows you (the host) to enjoy your party while we do the work. Our wide range of delicious appetizers, amazing dinners, decadent desserts and impeccable service offers a perfect event for everyone.
- Private Party Facilities: Captain James Landing- Seafood Palace, is a unique concept to Baltimore for Private dining and entertaining. Captain James Seafood Palace is not just a restaurant that looks like a ship. It"s a totally private venue known for its extraordinary cuisine, warm casual elegance and friendly, professional service. Captain James Seafood Palace is the perfect setting for dinners, business meetings, wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, off-premise catering, crab feasts or just a great celebration!
Please email our Events Coordinator and include your name,phone number, date, time, number of guests, and occasion.
- Private Party Contact: Marina 4103278600x
A word from Captain James Landing
A Baltimore landmark since 1978, Captain James Landing Restaurant has earned the name "most unique eatery" in Baltimore City. For starters we are the only restaurant shaped like a merchant vessel. Five brothers created a restaurant in the 70"s with the goal of providing quality service to the citizens of Baltimore, Maryland as well as the thousands of tourist that visit our Monumental City. Our Waterfront Crab House (located adjacent of our restaurant) was awarded in 2012 "#1 Best Crabs in Baltimore" by Baltimore Magazine. Our Crab House is the one spot in the city where you can eat steamed crabs with a true waterfront seating. Water Taxi Stop #14 brings you right to our waterfront location.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Captain James Landing - Best Restaurants in Fells Point ›
Captain James Landing reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (45)scenic view (35)special occasion (32)great for lunch (30)fit for foodies (29)kid-friendly (29)great for brunch (24)great for outdoor dining (20)late-night find (16)romantic (14)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Non-communicative staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This restaurant had us wait 20 minutes for a table when several were available. When asked why, they didn't know that we would consider a table versus a booth. Only had to ask!
- SweetPDined on 8/24/2014The tables are small, very noisy, the food was adequate.
- Baltimore ClassicMarveloDined on 8/20/2014Classic Baltimore family owned restaurant.- Crab Cakes are excellent (and big) all crab and not over poweringly seasoned. Softshell perfectly prepared. close enough to walk from anywhere in Fells Point but not a tourist 'trap'.Special Features:
- Awesome awesome awesomeCressiegirlDined on 8/17/2014We had a great time I'm so glad I choose this restaurant, I always read reviews when a place is unfamiliar, with that being said the reviews sealed the deal. My friend and I will take another 2 hour ride just to come to captain James. Crab cake... crab imperial ... Crab Mac n cheese was the ABSOLUTE best... Veges and There signature Sangria topped it off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure Reputable AwesomenessAnotherSatisfiedCustomerDined on 8/16/2014Captain James Landing I'd add-on excellent neighborhood gem. The good is outstanding and the service is priceless. I totally enjoyed this place and look forward to returning back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Groupon, Rolls, and Steamed ShrimpSophieTheExplorerDined on 8/16/2014I recently visited (because of a Groupon) and I'm happy I did. The dinner rolls while you wait are to die for, the butter garlic shrimp on the appetizer menu deserves an award, and I love the fact that not only do they take a Groupon, but you can purchase alcohol with it (score!) Downfall is that since the Groupon was for $80. They automatically added gratuity of $15, tax was $5, so we ended up spending an extra $20..., plus it's limited to the restaurant, not the crab house (bummer) my new york strip was good, but my friend's chicken parmigiano tasted like ravioli (yuck) the chickrn was big though, and it was fresh. All in all, I'd visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Very fast talking like she didn't care, my husband ask her if the restaurant had sweat tea because we couldn't find it on menu, and she response, "Um ya" as if he was stupid. She never came to check on us, we ran out of bread and drink all the way, then we had to ask every time after that. Even having to stop other people to help get us something. Though having a server ruin your meal you could really careless about food quality. After all this there was still the tip that was automatic her percentage and she did not deserve what the restaurant said our gratuity was. I also, do not feel its right to not to tell people tip is already figured in bill, that way the customer decides. Overall, never will go back, nor recommend!!
- lovin the captainAMAZINGDined on 8/14/2014This place was amazing. It was my first trip here but not my last. The food was soooo good and you could taste hoe fresh and LOCAL the seafood was. I enjoyed myself and my early bday lunch.Special Features:
- Dinners are OK - go for breakfastFranVIPDined on 8/13/2014Met a group there on one of the "specials" nights. Something is featured each evening Mon - Thurs at $15.99. The food was acceptable and there was a lot of it. On the other hand, breakfast is great. Free parking across the street.Special Features:
- DeliciousiluvfoodVIPDined on 8/12/2014The crab cakes were fantastic. They were very large and filled with lumps of crab, just the way I like them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrouponOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I had a groupon in which I informed my waitress upon arrival. With a groupon they automatically add the gratuity to the bill~ as a result the service was poorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Regulars, we feel like family!DCduoVIPDined on 8/3/2014We've been "regulars" for more than 5 years and remained loyal during the amazing transformation from a simple but tasty diner to an authentic and tastefully renovated "Seafood Palace!" Lucky for us, they only added to the menu and kept the old favorites right where they belong - on the new menu. For a true pick and hammer steamed crab experience to a full menu dining service, the wait staff makes everyone feel comfortable and at home. The food is both good and reasonably priced and we just love going back week after week to see our Captain James family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud at busy bruncholdtimeratcjlDined on 8/3/2014Since they have removed the carpeting, the noise levels can be very loud in the restaurant during peak times, especially if there are nearby children. Since the restaurant is very family oriented, kids are going to be there. The TV's are also a new addition, which add to the noise level. It is a very different place now; the food is still very good; the service is pretty fast and the morning Sunday servers are always wonderfully accommodating and nice! That being said, be prepared to wait if you come on Sunday morning at most times; I suggest making a reservation...no matter how many people will be dining...there is always a big crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME PLACENECIEPDined on 8/2/2014THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT....I WOULD DEF GO AGAIN....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but.....BaltimoreVisitorDined on 8/2/2014Oh my goodness, the food is amazing. We ordered crab cakes (huge size, full of lump crab) and scallops (large and plentiful). Our server was great. She was very helpful and pleasant. She really made our evening. BUT -- 2 things happened that turned us off. 1. There was a child (age 3-4) who would frequently let out an ear-piercing scream. The parents were doing nothing. I felt it should have been handled by the staff. 2. Just after we were seated, a two-top opened up beside the window. I asked the hostess if we could move. She said she couldn't because they had a group of 6 coming in - combining the two-top and the four-top next to us. Within 5 minutes, she seated a couple at that 2-top and a group never came in. Don't like being lied to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food great, service lackingsugarskullDined on 8/2/2014I don't expect to be doted on at every beck and call, but we waited 15 minutes before anyone even acknowledged we were sitting. Then another 15 for my husband to get a coke. Our waitress seemed uninterested and too busy on her cell phone to pay decent attention as I was out of water from about 30 minutes in until we left. I wouldn't go back just for this reason.Special Features:
- Fresh seafood and humorous waiter!IvyyyyDined on 7/31/2014Being next to the harbor was impressing at the first sight. After entering the restaurant satisfied us immediately. The crab legs was fantastic. We would definitely come back next time.Special Features:
- Great place.LCHIIIDined on 7/31/2014This was an exceptionally good sea food restaurant. I had never eaten blue crab before and the waiter was very helpful in showing me how to crack the crab and what not to eat. Every bit of the food I ate was delicious and I'm not that big of a sea food person. I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014We loved our experience with Captain James restaurant. Staff was excellent and manager superb. We came as stangers and left as friends, Linda (our waitress) was awesome and the hugs we got as we left were heartfelt and sincere. And the food was soooo good! Definately on our list to return on our next trip south!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!johnnyrootDined on 7/26/2014Took my wife for our 12th anniversary, and we loved it. Food was great, service was outstanding. We will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Exceptional servicePrincessDined on 7/26/2014The food was excellent and the service was phenominal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!FSUDiningOutDined on 7/26/2014Great atmosphere here. Our waitress was exceptional. We utilized the Water Taxi Service that has a stop right at the restaurant. Great scenic ride to, great scenery while you dive into the crabs!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late nightSavvyDinerDined on 7/17/2014The food was tasty. We were a tad disappointed when went, we went on a Thursday because the steam pot was on special. When we arrived we were told they did not have the special that evening because their steamer was broke and hey did not offer any alternate specials. We specifically went for the steamer pot (which is awesome and very filling). The Sangria was great!Special Features:
- Food was ExcellentZoe1Dined on 7/17/2014I had a groupon, so I took my friend there for her birthday. The food was great, but it was very loud. The only issue I had is with the way the waitress added 18% tip to the bill. I had $14.00 let on my groupon and she to me I had to get something else, so I had to order something of the menu to take home for $13.99, after that she brought the bill and added $14.00 for tip. Why wasn't it deducted from my balance. Overall, the food was excellent. I would back there just for the food.Special Features:
- Great place for crabsjpwildDined on 7/16/2014My son's first outing in Maryland for blue crabs. Wait staff was wonderful in showing him the tricks to getting all the best matt out of the crabs. Cold drinks, hot crabs and warm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't beat the specials!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014Had the 1.5 lb lobster for $14.95 and that included 2 sides. Can't complain about that! What a value. The service was slow, probably because the waitstaff had to make their own drinks at the bar. That was a weird set-up. I enjoyed that the place is shaped like a boat and the kitschy boat decor. I wish that they would re-open the bar on the 2nd floor. I bet it has killer views. Definitely a good place for kids. Overall I liked it!Special Features:
- sour bday experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014lobster wasn't available although it was supposed to be on special that night, waitress was very rude, her $48 gratuity was included, took two hours to get our food. we had a table of 10 which this place doesn't accommodate very well.
- Great ExperienceAndy42669Dined on 7/13/2014The restrauant has a partial view of the bay. The food was very good. Our waitress was very outgoing and efficient. A Truly enjoyable experience. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedBM1992Dined on 7/13/2014I read a lot of great reviews mentioning things such as great view but perhaps this refers to the Crab House vs Restaurant. Baesd on online photos I assumed a romantic view; not the case. In my Open Table reservation request I cited the occasion as a birthday & asked for romantic setting. First, a romantic ambience was impossible and secondly it appeared the staff received no such details re my request. Beyond first serving of water service was very slow. Waitress swapped out and after approx 19 minutes we had to ask for first serving of bread. Drinks were not overly impressive and food was good but the poor start to service had already sank the ship for us. Will not return. We spend a lot of money on dining and this was poor.Special Features:
- If You are Okay with Just OkayPintoBeansandCornbreadDined on 7/2/2014If you are okay with frozen seafood, eat here. If you are okay with seafood that may not have been previously frozen but does not taste fresh, eat here. If you are okay with a restaurant serving mediocre food in our great seafood city of Baltimore, then belly up here. I hoped for so much more, but my hopes were crushed when I tipped back a warmish, lumpy oyster to go with my shooter. Thank goodness for the palate-cleansing properties of tequila! The large crabs appeared medium, granted I didn't measure them but my dining companions thought the same. Our server, Lindsay did a good job.
- WE love seafoodNioTadoshyoDined on 6/28/2014The food is great but the adding of the gratuity the way they did wasn't. Will go again but check bill. The staff was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good ResaurantJakenJackieDined on 6/21/2014Crabcakes were pretty good lots of lumps little filler, creme of crab not bad could use some extra sherry, You can spend some money there I was worried about not spendimg 80 bucks so i could use my groupon, surpisely bill was 92 .oo for 2 people, 2 entrees, one apptizer, 2 soups and a one drink, moderate to pricey I reckon. No frozen drinks bar has no blender. A bar without a blender for shameSpecial Features:
- Upscale price but average qualityMathematicianDined on 6/19/2014The food, service and everything about this restaurant was neither bad nor impressive.
- Good FoodFrankHVIPDined on 6/17/2014We enjoyed our seafood dinner, I had a seafood combo with a lobster tail added, my wife a scallop dinner. The seafood dinner was plentiful, I would pass on the lobster tail. The soups were equally good. We enjoyed the dinner and went across the street to a on the water set up to take a dozen crabs, cooked very spice, for the next night dinner. The take out featured 3 sizes med. large, x large. They were actually small, med. and large. We had them the next evening with a neighbor and we enjoyed then after a reheating on a tray in the oven at low temp. We will go again, its was a nice finish to our day trip to Baltimore from the Phila. area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place but confusing locationMsOinksDined on 6/15/2014It's a decent place to go but little misleading in terms of location. When I say location, I mean that there's 2 different buildings with same name. One is by the pier and it's a crab shack where it's first come first serve. The other building is across from the parking lot and it's a restaurant shaped like a big ship, where you can make a reservation on Open Table. I honestly thought I was making a reservation at the crab place by the pier for Father's Day. The food was decent. The cream of crab soup was creamy and not salty like most of the restaurants I've been to. I ordered surf and turf which came with small sirloin, crab cake and two sides (rice pilaf and green beans). Like I said, food was good, but I wouldn't say great.Special Features:
- Ship ahoy ... mates ..canton1950Dined on 6/15/2014A great dining experience for our group ... plenty of scrumptious food ... sizeable portions - just simply a fantastic restuarant to enjoy the pleasures of the revived "Canton" area ... will visit again very soon ... keep up the great efforts ... to please all that come to dine ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pay Extra to Eat in a Fake Boat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Our server had no idea what she was doing, she did not know how to open and serve a bottle of wine. My father in law had to open the wine for her. Twice. If you're going to bring a $45 bottle of wine to a table, you better know how to serve it. Food came out of order, she couldn't find the beer I ordered and had gotten the name wrong anyway, and seemed to get easily confused by my daughter's dairy allergy. Food was ok, but not good enough for the prices charged, 4 adults and 1 child ran over $300. If the bill was $100 less i'd call it ok. The cream of crab was outstanding, but my wife's fish had bones, and my crab cake was obviously canned crab meat. We went because of a groupon. We won't be going back.
- nothing spectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/5/2014the food was good, the service was good, the place was LOUD
- Some hits and missesKPReatsVIPDined on 5/31/2014Overall, a good experience. We started with oysters and they were served at room temp, almost warm. Not a good start. We then had the calamari and the shrimp cocktail. The calamari was good and the shrimp were a nice size, but once again, there was no chill on them at all. Same with our salads. Everything was room temperature. For our entrees, my wife had the broiled lobster tails. They had very little taste to them. I had the flounder and it was very good. The restaurant was out of their house sauvignon blanc by the glass. Not quite sure how that happens. I suggested they take one of the bottles from their wine list and serve it by the glass, but was told they can't do that. OK experience, not sure if we would rush back to try it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Crab CakesniniDined on 5/31/2014I ordered the broiled seafood platter and my husband ordered the shrimp stuffed with imperial crab. We enjoyed both! The hot rolls were also tasty. There were two disappointments with the meal. I ordered the cream of crab soup, which was bland with very little crab. I also ordered an amaretto sour that was strong on the sour and weak on the alcohol. I would definitely return, but would shy away from the mixed drinks and soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.