Captain James Landing
2127 Boston Street
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Captain James Landing
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.captainjameslanding.com/
- Phone: 4103278600x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 12:00pm; Brunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We offer complete catering services for special events and corporate functions. This allows you (the host) to enjoy your party while we do the work. Our wide range of delicious appetizers, amazing dinners, decadent desserts and impeccable service offers a perfect event for everyone.
- Private Party Facilities: Captain James Landing- Seafood Palace, is a unique concept to Baltimore for Private dining and entertaining. Captain James Seafood Palace is not just a restaurant that looks like a ship. It"s a totally private venue known for its extraordinary cuisine, warm casual elegance and friendly, professional service. Captain James Seafood Palace is the perfect setting for dinners, business meetings, wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, off-premise catering, crab feasts or just a great celebration!
Please email our Events Coordinator and include your name,phone number, date, time, number of guests, and occasion.
- Private Party Contact: Marina 4103278600x
A word from Captain James Landing
A Baltimore landmark since 1978, Captain James Landing Restaurant has earned the name "most unique eatery" in Baltimore City. For starters we are the only restaurant shaped like a merchant vessel. Five brothers created a restaurant in the 70"s with the goal of providing quality service to the citizens of Baltimore, Maryland as well as the thousands of tourist that visit our Monumental City. Our Waterfront Crab House (located adjacent of our restaurant) was awarded in 2012 "#1 Best Crabs in Baltimore" by Baltimore Magazine. Our Crab House is the one spot in the city where you can eat steamed crabs with a true waterfront seating. Water Taxi Stop #14 brings you right to our waterfront location.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Captain James Landing - Best Restaurants in Fells Point ›
Captain James Landing reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (45)kid-friendly (33)great for lunch (33)scenic view (33)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (27)great for outdoor dining (25)great for brunch (19)romantic (13)late-night find (12)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Horrible experience. Ordered extra large crabs. Cthey were medium at best. Waitress was rude
- Enjoyable DiningNelsonVIPDined on 9/11/2014My husband and I had an early dinner before going to the football game. We had the same level of service this time as in the prior visit. The crab imperial was large and luscious. The broccoli was steamed to a gentle crisp. My husband had mussels as an appetizer. They were large and properly prepared. My salad was crisp. We enjoyed the lemon meringue pie as the final part of our meals. The waitress was very accommodating in meeting our needs. We will return in the future.Special Features:
- AryzonaVIPDined on 9/9/2014We went here and I was kind of underwhelmed by the food. The lamb was ok, not cooked as requested. And the crab legs were just alright!
- Fantastic Chesepeake Bay QuisineEatinonthebayDined on 9/6/2014After living in and around Baltimore my entire life and passing Capt James hundreds of times I decided to have dinner there with my wife, sister and brother in law and it couldn't 't have been better and I've ate at restaurants all over MD . The food was incredible and the service was impeccable. The best appetizers I 'be ever had! You have to try the stuff mushrooms!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SadieDined on 8/30/2014The food was excellent here. The seating however was a little too close together for us. We were seated so close to another couple that we could hear what they were talking about and they could probably hear us, too. Other than that we would recommend Capt. James to anyone who wanted a very casual seafood experience. The crab imperial was extremely delicious and so was the crab stuffed shrimp. We took the Water Taxi to get there and it took us right up to the main entrance to the Crab House which is in front of Capt. James Landing. That was the most unique part of this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our reviewNickDined on 8/30/2014Soft crab would of been better sautéed than fried. It really had no flavor. Service was fantastic, crabs were good, Butter that came with crabs was not butter but oil spread substitute that tasted bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dlogan34Dined on 8/30/2014I went for a true steamed crab experience. They weren't even on the menu and had to ask about them...even though the website said steamed crabs all year long. Lots of work for a little meat and I got the extra large. VERY expensive. One member of our group who isn't a seafood lover got a hamburger and said it was tasteless. Another got the crab cakes and he enjoyed those. But I wonder now if they were all crabmeat and not some imitation for the price and serving size.
- alexioAbertcinoDined on 8/30/2014I have been to Ruth Chris. Morton, Capital grill and few others. This is the worst. Absolutely no taste in everything, my sons ordered both the. Veal chop & Rib bye taste like in a buffet place, one time deal never going backSpecial Features:
- Non-communicative staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This restaurant had us wait 20 minutes for a table when several were available. When asked why, they didn't know that we would consider a table versus a booth. Only had to ask!
- Great Birthday CelebrationLulaDined on 8/28/2014Celebrated my husband's 50th birthday with a few friends. Reservation time was punctual, they were actually waiting for us! The food was awesome and our waitress was very attentive! What a way to kick off a birthday celebration, maybe The Captain could include a slice of cake for the birthday folks...(with confirmation of course).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SweetPDined on 8/24/2014The tables are small, very noisy, the food was adequate.
- Baltimore ClassicMarveloDined on 8/20/2014Classic Baltimore family owned restaurant.- Crab Cakes are excellent (and big) all crab and not over poweringly seasoned. Softshell perfectly prepared. close enough to walk from anywhere in Fells Point but not a tourist 'trap'.Special Features:
- Awesome awesome awesomeCressiegirlDined on 8/17/2014We had a great time I'm so glad I choose this restaurant, I always read reviews when a place is unfamiliar, with that being said the reviews sealed the deal. My friend and I will take another 2 hour ride just to come to captain James. Crab cake... crab imperial ... Crab Mac n cheese was the ABSOLUTE best... Veges and There signature Sangria topped it off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure Reputable AwesomenessAnotherSatisfiedCustomerDined on 8/16/2014Captain James Landing I'd add-on excellent neighborhood gem. The good is outstanding and the service is priceless. I totally enjoyed this place and look forward to returning back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Groupon, Rolls, and Steamed ShrimpSophieTheExplorerDined on 8/16/2014I recently visited (because of a Groupon) and I'm happy I did. The dinner rolls while you wait are to die for, the butter garlic shrimp on the appetizer menu deserves an award, and I love the fact that not only do they take a Groupon, but you can purchase alcohol with it (score!) Downfall is that since the Groupon was for $80. They automatically added gratuity of $15, tax was $5, so we ended up spending an extra $20..., plus it's limited to the restaurant, not the crab house (bummer) my new york strip was good, but my friend's chicken parmigiano tasted like ravioli (yuck) the chickrn was big though, and it was fresh. All in all, I'd visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Very fast talking like she didn't care, my husband ask her if the restaurant had sweat tea because we couldn't find it on menu, and she response, "Um ya" as if he was stupid. She never came to check on us, we ran out of bread and drink all the way, then we had to ask every time after that. Even having to stop other people to help get us something. Though having a server ruin your meal you could really careless about food quality. After all this there was still the tip that was automatic her percentage and she did not deserve what the restaurant said our gratuity was. I also, do not feel its right to not to tell people tip is already figured in bill, that way the customer decides. Overall, never will go back, nor recommend!!
- lovin the captainAMAZINGDined on 8/14/2014This place was amazing. It was my first trip here but not my last. The food was soooo good and you could taste hoe fresh and LOCAL the seafood was. I enjoyed myself and my early bday lunch.Special Features:
- Dinners are OK - go for breakfastFranVIPDined on 8/13/2014Met a group there on one of the "specials" nights. Something is featured each evening Mon - Thurs at $15.99. The food was acceptable and there was a lot of it. On the other hand, breakfast is great. Free parking across the street.Special Features:
- DeliciousiluvfoodVIPDined on 8/12/2014The crab cakes were fantastic. They were very large and filled with lumps of crab, just the way I like them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrouponOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I had a groupon in which I informed my waitress upon arrival. With a groupon they automatically add the gratuity to the bill~ as a result the service was poorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Regulars, we feel like family!DCduoVIPDined on 8/3/2014We've been "regulars" for more than 5 years and remained loyal during the amazing transformation from a simple but tasty diner to an authentic and tastefully renovated "Seafood Palace!" Lucky for us, they only added to the menu and kept the old favorites right where they belong - on the new menu. For a true pick and hammer steamed crab experience to a full menu dining service, the wait staff makes everyone feel comfortable and at home. The food is both good and reasonably priced and we just love going back week after week to see our Captain James family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud at busy bruncholdtimeratcjlDined on 8/3/2014Since they have removed the carpeting, the noise levels can be very loud in the restaurant during peak times, especially if there are nearby children. Since the restaurant is very family oriented, kids are going to be there. The TV's are also a new addition, which add to the noise level. It is a very different place now; the food is still very good; the service is pretty fast and the morning Sunday servers are always wonderfully accommodating and nice! That being said, be prepared to wait if you come on Sunday morning at most times; I suggest making a reservation...no matter how many people will be dining...there is always a big crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME PLACENECIEPDined on 8/2/2014THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT....I WOULD DEF GO AGAIN....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but.....BaltimoreVisitorDined on 8/2/2014Oh my goodness, the food is amazing. We ordered crab cakes (huge size, full of lump crab) and scallops (large and plentiful). Our server was great. She was very helpful and pleasant. She really made our evening. BUT -- 2 things happened that turned us off. 1. There was a child (age 3-4) who would frequently let out an ear-piercing scream. The parents were doing nothing. I felt it should have been handled by the staff. 2. Just after we were seated, a two-top opened up beside the window. I asked the hostess if we could move. She said she couldn't because they had a group of 6 coming in - combining the two-top and the four-top next to us. Within 5 minutes, she seated a couple at that 2-top and a group never came in. Don't like being lied to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food great, service lackingsugarskullDined on 8/2/2014I don't expect to be doted on at every beck and call, but we waited 15 minutes before anyone even acknowledged we were sitting. Then another 15 for my husband to get a coke. Our waitress seemed uninterested and too busy on her cell phone to pay decent attention as I was out of water from about 30 minutes in until we left. I wouldn't go back just for this reason.Special Features:
- Fresh seafood and humorous waiter!IvyyyyDined on 7/31/2014Being next to the harbor was impressing at the first sight. After entering the restaurant satisfied us immediately. The crab legs was fantastic. We would definitely come back next time.Special Features:
- Great place.LCHIIIDined on 7/31/2014This was an exceptionally good sea food restaurant. I had never eaten blue crab before and the waiter was very helpful in showing me how to crack the crab and what not to eat. Every bit of the food I ate was delicious and I'm not that big of a sea food person. I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014We loved our experience with Captain James restaurant. Staff was excellent and manager superb. We came as stangers and left as friends, Linda (our waitress) was awesome and the hugs we got as we left were heartfelt and sincere. And the food was soooo good! Definately on our list to return on our next trip south!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!johnnyrootDined on 7/26/2014Took my wife for our 12th anniversary, and we loved it. Food was great, service was outstanding. We will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Exceptional servicePrincessDined on 7/26/2014The food was excellent and the service was phenominal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!FSUDiningOutDined on 7/26/2014Great atmosphere here. Our waitress was exceptional. We utilized the Water Taxi Service that has a stop right at the restaurant. Great scenic ride to, great scenery while you dive into the crabs!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late nightSavvyDinerDined on 7/17/2014The food was tasty. We were a tad disappointed when went, we went on a Thursday because the steam pot was on special. When we arrived we were told they did not have the special that evening because their steamer was broke and hey did not offer any alternate specials. We specifically went for the steamer pot (which is awesome and very filling). The Sangria was great!Special Features:
- Food was ExcellentZoe1Dined on 7/17/2014I had a groupon, so I took my friend there for her birthday. The food was great, but it was very loud. The only issue I had is with the way the waitress added 18% tip to the bill. I had $14.00 let on my groupon and she to me I had to get something else, so I had to order something of the menu to take home for $13.99, after that she brought the bill and added $14.00 for tip. Why wasn't it deducted from my balance. Overall, the food was excellent. I would back there just for the food.Special Features:
- Great place for crabsjpwildDined on 7/16/2014My son's first outing in Maryland for blue crabs. Wait staff was wonderful in showing him the tricks to getting all the best matt out of the crabs. Cold drinks, hot crabs and warm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't beat the specials!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014Had the 1.5 lb lobster for $14.95 and that included 2 sides. Can't complain about that! What a value. The service was slow, probably because the waitstaff had to make their own drinks at the bar. That was a weird set-up. I enjoyed that the place is shaped like a boat and the kitschy boat decor. I wish that they would re-open the bar on the 2nd floor. I bet it has killer views. Definitely a good place for kids. Overall I liked it!Special Features:
- sour bday experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014lobster wasn't available although it was supposed to be on special that night, waitress was very rude, her $48 gratuity was included, took two hours to get our food. we had a table of 10 which this place doesn't accommodate very well.
- Great ExperienceAndy42669Dined on 7/13/2014The restrauant has a partial view of the bay. The food was very good. Our waitress was very outgoing and efficient. A Truly enjoyable experience. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedBM1992Dined on 7/13/2014I read a lot of great reviews mentioning things such as great view but perhaps this refers to the Crab House vs Restaurant. Baesd on online photos I assumed a romantic view; not the case. In my Open Table reservation request I cited the occasion as a birthday & asked for romantic setting. First, a romantic ambience was impossible and secondly it appeared the staff received no such details re my request. Beyond first serving of water service was very slow. Waitress swapped out and after approx 19 minutes we had to ask for first serving of bread. Drinks were not overly impressive and food was good but the poor start to service had already sank the ship for us. Will not return. We spend a lot of money on dining and this was poor.Special Features:
- If You are Okay with Just OkayPintoBeansandCornbreadDined on 7/2/2014If you are okay with frozen seafood, eat here. If you are okay with seafood that may not have been previously frozen but does not taste fresh, eat here. If you are okay with a restaurant serving mediocre food in our great seafood city of Baltimore, then belly up here. I hoped for so much more, but my hopes were crushed when I tipped back a warmish, lumpy oyster to go with my shooter. Thank goodness for the palate-cleansing properties of tequila! The large crabs appeared medium, granted I didn't measure them but my dining companions thought the same. Our server, Lindsay did a good job.
- WE love seafoodNioTadoshyoDined on 6/28/2014The food is great but the adding of the gratuity the way they did wasn't. Will go again but check bill. The staff was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.