122 Ocean Avenue
Bay Shore, NY 11706Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.captainbills.com/
- Phone: (631) 665-6262
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Kevin McClellan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whether you are entertaining 30 guests or 250 guests, Captain Bill's has a beautiful waterfront room to suit your needs. From small intimate occasions in our restaurant to small and medium parties in our Waterview and Harborview rooms to larger parties and weddings in our Bayview House, we will ensure that your event is unique and memorable.
- Private Party Facilities: Serene water views.
- Private Party Contact: Catering Manager 6316656262
A word from Captain Bill's
Treat those you love to casual, yet elegant waterfront dining on the Great South Bay at Captain Bill's, where you can savor the spectacular sunset over the water while enjoying a fresh daily selection of clams, oysters and fresh local fish along with live Maine lobsters from our lobster tank. We also specialize in premium aged steaks and prime rib, prepared just the way you like it. < If you are looking for a lighter bite, join us in our bar where we offer a menu featuring baby lamb chops, shrimp quesadillas and the best burger in town. Wind down the work week on Friday evenings with a complimentary buffet between 4 and 7 with discounted house drinks, domestic beer and wine. Every Sunday, Captain Bill's presents one of Long Island's premier brunch buffets. Featuring unlimited Bloody Marys, Mimosas and Champagne as well as an extensive buffet. Bring your friends and family for a wonderful Sunday Brunch dining by the harbor. Captain Bill's is open seven days a week, year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Captain Bill's - Best Restaurants in Bay Shore ›
Captain Bill's reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (42)special occasion (28)good for groups (23)great for brunch (19)neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (12)romantic (11)fit for foodies (10)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Food Great Noise level OverwhelmingJoanGDined on 11/8/2014We went for a special Birthday and even though we eat there quite often Saturday's Restaurant Food was some of the best I've had there. The only problem is the noise level and the sound of the bass from the party in the room next door was horrible. You couldn't hear the person at the other end. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood PlaceHammer13Dined on 11/7/2014Food was GREAT especially for a pre fixe! The go to place for seafood and if your a meat eater they will leave you just as happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good experiencemccmVIPDined on 11/6/2014We've dined here before and came for Restaurant Week. The menu was lovely, servers were attentive, and waterfront ambience pleasing. The Kalahari appetizer was crisp and tasty, linguini with shrimp and scallops arrived with lobster meat instead of scallops (to our delight) but the waitress probably should have mentioned there would be this substitution. Apple crisp was great but the toasted pound cake is the holy trail...so simple yet so goodSpecial Features:
- What a shamedisappointedDined on 11/6/2014All courses except the desert were improperly cooked and the service was extremely slow. It must be noted that this was restaurant week and they seemed to be understaffed. We've been there before some time ago and swore we would not go back, however we decided to give it one more try. It's such a nice locationSpecial Features:
- Deliciousness by the bay!CM929Dined on 11/2/2014This was my first time there for dinner, I have been for weddings and holidays but never just for dinner. We went for my husbands birthday and it was absolutely wonderful! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly placeLongIslanderDined on 10/26/2014Brunch was reasonable and food was well presented and trays refilled with suitable frequency. Staff was pleasant throughout our stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodRetiredDined on 10/14/2014The food was good. The service was not! They need to provide better wait staff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- sinatra singerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014best lobster I had all year wife had prime rib,said it was excellentSpecial Features:
- EXCELLENTluv2eatDined on 10/3/2014We were extremely happy with Captain Bill's restaurant. We first went to the bar area to have a cocktail before we sat down for dinner. The bar is separate from the dining room which we liked. There was a buffet and discounted drinks for happy hour. Bar staff was attentive and friendly. Then we sat down for dinner in the restaurant dining room. The dining room had ambiance, linen table cloths and low lighting. The view of the bay was great too. The food was excellent,each course that we had was wonderful, and they give you plenty of it and the service was great. We both were surprised that we actually had leftovers to take home. We were thrilled with this restaurant and can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good.SwannieDined on 9/20/2014We shared a very enjoyable meal with friends. It got quite busy and wait staff was taxed but overall our table received good and friendly service. Everyone enjoyed their entree selection and deserts were splendid. We will return for sure.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4tailDined on 9/19/2014We were disappointed because we wee wated We knew before we saw the menu that we both wanted to have the lobster tails. It was or 43 Anniversaryl. The food we ordered was good though.
- bradDined on 9/17/2014I've been to Captain Bill's several times in the last year and enjoy it every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LobsterLoverDined on 9/15/2014We just had a great dinner at Captain Bills! They have a twin tail lobster special that hit the spot! Every time I come here I find something new to love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fishRetiredDined on 9/13/2014We have been there many times. The Tuna is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob1Dined on 9/13/2014I took my brother-in-law from Boston to Capt. Bills. The service, food, and view all were excellent. A truly good restaurant!Special Features:
- DissapointingJohnCVIPDined on 9/1/2014Captain Bills is a very nice place in a nice location (right on the bay) It is bright, spacious and clean. The staff are very friendly. Unfortunately for them (and us) FOOD is a very important part of the restaurant business. I am going to focus on one thing that I believe tells the whole story: A Seafood place, on the water, with a nautical theme can absolutely not, never ever serve a SEAFOOD SALAD WRAP that is made with FAKE SEAFOOD!! Heinous and un-forgivable. I mean REALLY? I am sitting at a prime table, paying top dollar and staring at the Great South Bay and you serve me FAKE SEAFOOD? Fare thee well Captain Bill (I bet there is no "Captain Bill" or, if there is, he's an airline pilot)
- disappointing!!!winesnobDined on 8/29/2014We decided to find a water front seafood place to eat before heading home from the beach and looked up suggestions on places on the web. Everything seems great until we arrived, it is not waterfront, it is parking lot front with a small view of a marina, the fresh fish was everything but. the tuna (ordered rare) was over cooked, the mahi, mahi was like store bought rubber fish and the service was non existence even thought the place was empty and the staff had free time to chat and laugh at jokes that could be heard from our table twenty feet from them. The best part of the meal was the price so as they say you get what you pay for...STAY AWAY!!!
- Seaside viewsSpecialKVIPDined on 8/28/2014The best part of eating at Captain Bills is dining on the water! The food was good and the waitress friendly and attentive. I would have liked to see more seafood on the menu like steamers, soft shell clams, and lobster tails.Special Features:
- great food great locationlobsterlouieDined on 8/23/2014My parents would bring me to Capt Bills in the 80's moved away and returned 6 months ago. It was apparently reopened 15 years ago and totally refurbished after the hurricane. We've dined here 5 times and each time the seafood and prime rib/steak is consistent and prepared well. They offer all sorts of shellfish including,clams,oysters and even have a lobster tank on display. Friendly staff and lively bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceLobsterLoverDined on 8/16/2014Unbelievably fresh seafood! Always a great meal! Try the crab cakes and the seafood tower! Can't beat the quality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014The restaurant sits on a marina which is lovely, however, the food and service was poor. The fish was not fresh for a seafood restaurant which is on the water!
- Good food poor serviceoccdinerDined on 8/5/2014Don't remember ever leaving a tip that was so low. The food was good but the service was so slow. Really disappointing and I will not go back.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchSkafishDined on 8/3/2014The Sunday Brunch has an excellent selection with a nice scenic view of the boats docked in the marina. The food quality is always fresh and very good with a wide variety of offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service questionableFlamingoDined on 8/2/2014Food is always top shelf, but it is time to either re-train the complacent wait staff or clean house and hire new. Poor representation of a fine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014The ambience, the food and the service was great. It was moderately priced and I would highly recommend Captain Bill's. Dying to try the brunch.Special Features:
- reveiwOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Took customers out for dinner food and drinks were excellent. Would high recommend. My husband and I were Married here 12 years ago and it never disappointsSpecial Features:
- Gorgeous location at the marinaLotusVIPDined on 7/25/2014We went to Captain Bill's for lunch. The food was very good. I got the steak and my friends got the lobster salad and scallop special. We were all thrilled with our meals. Gorgeous views of the marina and boats. Would definitely go back for dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014My request for a table near the window was provided. The baked clams we order as an appetizer was very tasty almost as good as the ones i make. The lobster soup was also very delicious. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. Would definitely go back. They also have very nice private rooms to hold parties as small as 30 people.Special Features:
- The following 155 reviews are from the Captain Bill's reviews archive.
- Quite reliablecmgparsonsVIPDined on 7/22/2014The menu is always dependable & reliable, although it would be nice to see some different sides instead of the same roasted potatoes, carrots & string beans on everyone's plate. Service was a little off....friendly but not polished. I really wish that they had table outside.Special Features:
- Good Food/Good ServiceStick66VIPDined on 7/19/2014Food and service was OK. My only issue is that they brought out the main course too fast, while we were still having our soup appitizer. It was later, 8:45 reservation, so it was not as though they had to turn the table. Aside from that the food was good and service very good. Our server was very nice. NADSpecial Features:
- Very niceRosietheRiveter1Dined on 7/18/2014one of the few restaurants that take reservations for as few as two for an evening. They had our table waiting and we had a lovely time. Our waitress (Jo-Ann) was attentive but not hovering and the evening was perfect.Special Features:
- Okay restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/14/2014Service was good, food was okay. The food served a la carte was about on par with their food served at catered events, which is better than many catering places but uninspiring for a dinner out.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014Service and food was exceptional... Good food Good service + Good company= Great time It was our fist time visit but will defiantly be coming backSpecial Features:
- Heavenlt restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Captain Bill's seafood is to die for. Calimari, lobster bisque, clams casino and sea scallops were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So DisappointedUpperEastSideGirlVIPDined on 7/11/2014Went to Bay Shore from the city for the prime rib. Had it last year and it was spectacular. I specifically asked if medium rare slices were still available. The waiter said yes!! A well done slice was delivered - they have runners who deliver the food. When the waiter returned to check on us he saw the well done slice and was apologetic. He brought it to the kitchen. When he returned he said the chef was also upset. They said thus never happened before. Anyway, they comped my meal but it took forever for the food to arrive. My companions had to wait a half hour after they finished their meals just for my food to arrive.Special Features:
- ExcellentCaptVIPDined on 7/10/2014Great service as well as the freshest seafood around my wife and I had the grouper which was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rosieVIPDined on 7/10/2014This is one of my favorite lunch places. The problem is we were a large group 11 people and it seems as if they can't handle it. The waitress seemed harried and did not answer when someone called to her as she was walking away. All the plates that came with French Fries had soggy cold fries. I find the food and service better in small groups.Special Features:
- Good FoodMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 7/8/2014Great Burgers. Excellent Soups. Very good 1.5 lobster.Special Features:
- Great Seafood and SteaksLobsterLoverDined on 7/7/2014Captain Bill's is always a great spot for fresh seafood! Crab cakes, lump crab cocktail and stuffed clams are the best I've ever had. Friendly service and a great view! What more could you ask for?!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed by the foodJaneVIPDined on 7/6/2014Went w a friend. Her steak was fine. My soft shell crab wasn't nor any of the sides. French fries worst I've had in a long time. Cole slaw, worst I've had in my life. Never going back.