122 Ocean Avenue
Bay Shore, NY 11706Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.captainbills.com/
- Phone: 6316656262
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Kevin McClellan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whether you are entertaining 30 guests or 250 guests, Captain Bill's has a beautiful waterfront room to suit your needs. From small intimate occasions in our restaurant to small and medium parties in our Waterview and Harborview rooms to larger parties and weddings in our Bayview House, we will ensure that your event is unique and memorable.
- Private Party Facilities: Serene water views.
- Private Party Contact: Catering Manager 6316656262
A word from Captain Bill's
Treat those you love to casual, yet elegant waterfront dining on the Great South Bay at Captain Bill's, where you can savor the spectacular sunset over the water while enjoying a fresh daily selection of clams, oysters and fresh local fish along with live Maine lobsters from our lobster tank. We also specialize in premium aged steaks and prime rib, prepared just the way you like it. < If you are looking for a lighter bite, join us in our bar where we offer a menu featuring baby lamb chops, shrimp quesadillas and the best burger in town. Wind down the work week on Friday evenings with a complimentary buffet between 4 and 7 with discounted house drinks, domestic beer and wine. Every Sunday, Captain Bill's presents one of Long Island's premier brunch buffets. Featuring unlimited Bloody Marys, Mimosas and Champagne as well as an extensive buffet. Bring your friends and family for a wonderful Sunday Brunch dining by the harbor. Captain Bill's is open seven days a week, year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Captain Bill's reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (47)good for groups (29)special occasion (29)neighborhood gem (20)great for brunch (20)great for lunch (18)fit for foodies (13)romantic (12)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- great fishRetiredDined on 9/13/2014We have been there many times. The Tuna is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingJohnCVIPDined on 9/1/2014Captain Bills is a very nice place in a nice location (right on the bay) It is bright, spacious and clean. The staff are very friendly. Unfortunately for them (and us) FOOD is a very important part of the restaurant business. I am going to focus on one thing that I believe tells the whole story: A Seafood place, on the water, with a nautical theme can absolutely not, never ever serve a SEAFOOD SALAD WRAP that is made with FAKE SEAFOOD!! Heinous and un-forgivable. I mean REALLY? I am sitting at a prime table, paying top dollar and staring at the Great South Bay and you serve me FAKE SEAFOOD? Fare thee well Captain Bill (I bet there is no "Captain Bill" or, if there is, he's an airline pilot)
- disappointing!!!winesnobDined on 8/29/2014We decided to find a water front seafood place to eat before heading home from the beach and looked up suggestions on places on the web. Everything seems great until we arrived, it is not waterfront, it is parking lot front with a small view of a marina, the fresh fish was everything but. the tuna (ordered rare) was over cooked, the mahi, mahi was like store bought rubber fish and the service was non existence even thought the place was empty and the staff had free time to chat and laugh at jokes that could be heard from our table twenty feet from them. The best part of the meal was the price so as they say you get what you pay for...STAY AWAY!!!
- Seaside viewsSpecialKVIPDined on 8/28/2014The best part of eating at Captain Bills is dining on the water! The food was good and the waitress friendly and attentive. I would have liked to see more seafood on the menu like steamers, soft shell clams, and lobster tails.Special Features:
- great food great locationlobsterlouieDined on 8/23/2014My parents would bring me to Capt Bills in the 80's moved away and returned 6 months ago. It was apparently reopened 15 years ago and totally refurbished after the hurricane. We've dined here 5 times and each time the seafood and prime rib/steak is consistent and prepared well. They offer all sorts of shellfish including,clams,oysters and even have a lobster tank on display. Friendly staff and lively bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceLobsterLoverDined on 8/16/2014Unbelievably fresh seafood! Always a great meal! Try the crab cakes and the seafood tower! Can't beat the quality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014The restaurant sits on a marina which is lovely, however, the food and service was poor. The fish was not fresh for a seafood restaurant which is on the water!
- Good food poor serviceoccdinerDined on 8/5/2014Don't remember ever leaving a tip that was so low. The food was good but the service was so slow. Really disappointing and I will not go back.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchSkafishDined on 8/3/2014The Sunday Brunch has an excellent selection with a nice scenic view of the boats docked in the marina. The food quality is always fresh and very good with a wide variety of offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service questionableFlamingoDined on 8/2/2014Food is always top shelf, but it is time to either re-train the complacent wait staff or clean house and hire new. Poor representation of a fine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014The ambience, the food and the service was great. It was moderately priced and I would highly recommend Captain Bill's. Dying to try the brunch.Special Features:
- reveiwOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Took customers out for dinner food and drinks were excellent. Would high recommend. My husband and I were Married here 12 years ago and it never disappointsSpecial Features:
- Gorgeous location at the marinaLotusVIPDined on 7/25/2014We went to Captain Bill's for lunch. The food was very good. I got the steak and my friends got the lobster salad and scallop special. We were all thrilled with our meals. Gorgeous views of the marina and boats. Would definitely go back for dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014My request for a table near the window was provided. The baked clams we order as an appetizer was very tasty almost as good as the ones i make. The lobster soup was also very delicious. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. Would definitely go back. They also have very nice private rooms to hold parties as small as 30 people.Special Features:
- Quite reliablecmgparsonsVIPDined on 7/22/2014The menu is always dependable & reliable, although it would be nice to see some different sides instead of the same roasted potatoes, carrots & string beans on everyone's plate. Service was a little off....friendly but not polished. I really wish that they had table outside.Special Features:
- Good Food/Good ServiceStick66VIPDined on 7/19/2014Food and service was OK. My only issue is that they brought out the main course too fast, while we were still having our soup appitizer. It was later, 8:45 reservation, so it was not as though they had to turn the table. Aside from that the food was good and service very good. Our server was very nice. NADSpecial Features:
- Very niceRosietheRiveter1Dined on 7/18/2014one of the few restaurants that take reservations for as few as two for an evening. They had our table waiting and we had a lovely time. Our waitress (Jo-Ann) was attentive but not hovering and the evening was perfect.Special Features:
- Okay restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/14/2014Service was good, food was okay. The food served a la carte was about on par with their food served at catered events, which is better than many catering places but uninspiring for a dinner out.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014Service and food was exceptional... Good food Good service + Good company= Great time It was our fist time visit but will defiantly be coming backSpecial Features:
- Heavenlt restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Captain Bill's seafood is to die for. Calimari, lobster bisque, clams casino and sea scallops were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So DisappointedUpperEastSideGirlVIPDined on 7/11/2014Went to Bay Shore from the city for the prime rib. Had it last year and it was spectacular. I specifically asked if medium rare slices were still available. The waiter said yes!! A well done slice was delivered - they have runners who deliver the food. When the waiter returned to check on us he saw the well done slice and was apologetic. He brought it to the kitchen. When he returned he said the chef was also upset. They said thus never happened before. Anyway, they comped my meal but it took forever for the food to arrive. My companions had to wait a half hour after they finished their meals just for my food to arrive.Special Features:
- ExcellentCaptVIPDined on 7/10/2014Great service as well as the freshest seafood around my wife and I had the grouper which was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rosieVIPDined on 7/10/2014This is one of my favorite lunch places. The problem is we were a large group 11 people and it seems as if they can't handle it. The waitress seemed harried and did not answer when someone called to her as she was walking away. All the plates that came with French Fries had soggy cold fries. I find the food and service better in small groups.Special Features:
- Good FoodMoonstruckOneVIPDined on 7/8/2014Great Burgers. Excellent Soups. Very good 1.5 lobster.Special Features:
- Great Seafood and SteaksLobsterLoverDined on 7/7/2014Captain Bill's is always a great spot for fresh seafood! Crab cakes, lump crab cocktail and stuffed clams are the best I've ever had. Friendly service and a great view! What more could you ask for?!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed by the foodJaneVIPDined on 7/6/2014Went w a friend. Her steak was fine. My soft shell crab wasn't nor any of the sides. French fries worst I've had in a long time. Cole slaw, worst I've had in my life. Never going back.
- Not as good as portrayedDisapointedDined on 7/6/2014I took 3 of my friends to this resturant, that I have not been to in quite awhile and will not go back to again. First, we had an EARLY dinner reservation on July 6th, we had requested a window table (via open table) there were only 4 tables occupied all by the windowand the hostess refused the last window table becase it was for 6.THE PLACE WAS EMPTY and she was nasty about it. Our waitress was not at all friendly, "ARE YOU READY TO ORDER YET ?"10 minutes after sitting down and just receiving our cocktails. The salad came with the apps, and the main course was served before we were done with those ! My steak was over cooked and tough, seared tuna was grey ( sitting under the heat lamps ?). For the $200. plus I spent it was NOT worth it.
- DisappointedEscapeGirlVIPDined on 7/1/2014We went on a Tuesday night and while the view was wonderful, we were all fairly disappointed with the food and the service. From the time that we received our drinks to when the waitress came back to take our order, we spent 20 minutes going through two rounds of bread baskets. Our waitress was distracted, disoriented, inattentive and at time downright condescending to two people in our party. The food was okay- no one thought it exceeded expectations. The broiled seafood platter, which was good taste-wise, was floating in an inch of butter/oil at the bottom of the bowl. Dessert was delicious and the highlight of the meal. We have been there in the past and have enjoyed it, but not sure that we'd go back based on this visit.Special Features:
- Bad showOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2014This was our first and only visit to Captain Bill's. The food was quite good, but unfortunately, the restaurant lost sales on appetizers, desserts, wine, and future patronage because the server was unable to, well, serve. She forgot literally everything we ordered and had to return to have us repeat them for her. She was inconsiderate - began speaking to us while approaching the table and continued speaking after turning her back, while walking away. She couldn't even remember to refill our water glasses. Perhaps the view attracts so much business that service isn't important. Happily for us, there are lots of other restaurants on the water to try.Special Features:
- Dropped a notchhunnewellVIPDined on 6/29/2014I've been to this restaurant for brunch several times, however, maybe it was an off-day but it dropped a notch on my list of favorites. Buffet selection was just ok, started to run out of items earlier than previous times I've been there. It was OK; would I recommend? Only perhaps.Special Features:
- Love the CaptainsookiDined on 6/28/2014Captain Bill's is our go to spot for birthdays, anniversaries and just to enjoy the view. The food is always good and the srrvice is impeccable. Our waitress Danielle, woh we have had on a few occasions, is attentive without being overbearing. The view is spectacular if you can get a window seat. Reservations are usually a must.Special Features:
- Great Fish RestaurantRetiredDined on 6/27/2014We have been here quite a few times. The food is excellent!!! The service is usually very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCaptVIPDined on 6/20/2014You cannot find any better seafood on Long Island ....I had the blackened tuna cooked to rare that was to die for and my wife had the grouper and loves every biteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleased AGAINFunFoodieDined on 6/15/2014Once again, we attended brunch at Captain Bill's and once again, we were extremely pleased with the service and food. We will continue to return again and again!Special Features:
- First and last...SeanDined on 6/8/2014We had heard decent reviews and decided to try Capt. Bill's for an early Sunday dinner. A seafood rest on the water with no outside dining? Come on! The food was seriously lacking. Over cooked and bland.
- harolditoDined on 6/7/2014Appetizers were good. The food had no taste. Drinks poor.
- Food great service not so goodNightoutDined on 6/6/2014The food was great but the service was very slow. I like a nice leisurely dinner but when it take 20 mins to get your drink order that's a little to much.Special Features:
- Great ExperianceJoeBDined on 6/4/2014The quality of the food is what brings us back for all of our special occasions. Try the Seafood tower on the appetizer menu....its fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnercurlytopDined on 5/31/2014We had requested a candlelit table by the water to celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary. We were told that this table was it. To our delight the service was good and the food was real delicious,best baked clams except they could have been served hotter,but real good! We enjoyed our dinner ,thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waterfront diningSwimmerVIPDined on 5/27/2014The view was very nice. We requested a waterfront table and we got it!! Many times at other restaurants we have requested a water front table and they pay no attention to it. Thank you captain bills. The food was great and so where the drinks. Our server Jackie was very friendly and an excellent server. I am definitely returningSpecial Features:
- The following 129 reviews are from the Captain Bill's reviews archive.