Captain Bill's - Middleton
2701 Century Harbor Rd
Middleton, WI 53562Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Captain Bill's - Middleton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://capbills.com/
- Phone: 6088317327x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm (seasonally)
Deck open May through October
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Gonzalo Saldana
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Let Captain Bill’s host your special event! With our spacious deck and plenty of indoor seating, we can accommodate your needs. Let us plan a special appetizer buffet or a dinner menu that you can select from our signature creations. We can also provide entertainment for your guests! Please contact us for a consultation today.
A word from Captain Bill's - Middleton
Captain Bill's waterfront restaurant features award winning seafood in a rustic, casual and fun waterfront atmosphere. Recently voted “Best Seafood Restaurant” in the Best of Madison poll, Captain Bill's diners rave about the clam chowder, crab cakes and coconut shrimp. Escape to our waterfront deck, enjoy an ice cold beverage, a mound of shrimp and oysters, crab, lobster or our Friday night fish fry. Happy hour Monday thru Friday from four to six.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Captain Bill's - Middleton - Best Restaurants in Middleton ›
Captain Bill's - Middleton reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (108)great for outdoor dining (101)special occasion (53)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (32)romantic (27)fit for foodies (19)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (8)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We celebrated two birthdays and had a great time. The food and restaurant were great, the waiter was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ms. FeedbackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Met family there for the view. Service was slow. Food was good, but cold. Came from the eastside just for a change. Probably will not travel to that side of town for a long time.Special Features:
- Great seafood dinner in MiddletonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014In town for a Badgers game and since we had eaten at Nau-ti-gal on another trip we gave this place a try. Great food, great service and a nice view of lake Mendota.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyeatersDined on 9/14/2014We always enjoy bringing family and guests to Captain Bill's, since we moved here in 78 .Our son worked there one summer and introduced us to various items on the menu we didn't get in the Fox Valley. He drives up yearly to take me there for my birthday dinner. We enjoy the variety of food and especially the Lite Fair which is always more than enough to fill us Seniors up, especially when a cup of Clam Chowder is added.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014Very loud crowd. Food was below average. Pretty view.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014There were six of us celebrating one couples anniversary. They were rewarded with desert. Our table looked directly toward the lake, even thought it was cool and windy, it was still nice watching the waves.Special Features:
- Better than expectationsMikeDined on 9/5/2014After reading numerous negative to luke-warm reviews, my girlfriend and I thought we would still give it a shot. While not a place for a romantic dinner as it is a bit noisy and very family friendly, we found the place to be very welcoming and comfortable. We were both very impressed by our server who showed a lot of enthusiasm and was very helpful in helping us navigate the menu. We both enjoyed our meals, and the much hyped clam chowder also met expectations. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food, sticky, stinky.texrhinoDined on 9/4/2014We were met inside the front entrance by the fragrance of mildew and an ambiance of early American basement. A young inexperienced greeter hastily seated us at a sticky table with an underwhelming view of their outside seating deck and a street that leads to a lake. My oyster stew was south of good and I couldn't help wondering if it contained oddments other than oysters. My entree was too salty for me to eat (even though I usually add salt to my food). When I complained the waitress was oh-so sympathetic but otherwise of no help. Later she offered free desserts which we declined out of concern for what remained of our digestive systems. I heartily recommended Captain Bill's to people I strongly dislike. Everyone else . . . run!
- Perfect for our AnniversaryMic3315Dined on 9/3/2014Hadn't been to Captain Bill's in awhile, as it's a bit off our beaten path, and I recalled it as serviceable, but nothing, well, special. We wanted to sit outside because it was a gorgeous evening, and it was our wedding anniversary. Couldn't have been more wonderful. Outside, slightly breezy, view of the lake...Attentive service from Hayley. The grilled shrimp appetizer was amazing- they should offer it as an entree! My salmon was fine (piece seemed a bit small, but it was their "Lighter Fare"), walleye was good and substantial, potatoes good. It was the seasonal lightly grilled squash that was a standout. Crisp, colorful, tasty. Desert drinks were YUMMY. Thanks for a great evening. Oh, oh, and the music was perfect-Motown...we loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No joyLikes2goOUTDined on 8/31/2014I've never experienced worse service. Not because the staff was out of sorts -- just because there were too few to effectively cover the tables. It made them feel badly, that was obvious. When I see something like that, it's hard to be annoyed at the servers so I'll blame the owner and management for being either clueless or cheap. If this was the first time we'd experienced bad service here, I'd say maybe a few of the staff couldn't make it in. But that's what I said the first time it happened. Two strikes is enough. Wish I could say the food was worth the wait but it wasn't. Your time and money will be better spent elsewhere.
- The4amigosDined on 8/30/2014Overall we enjoyed the experience. We didn't have to wait. The restaurant was not busy at all. The wait staff was friendly & attentive. I felt as if more care could have been placed on the appearance of the staff, however. Their uniforms look a little worn and outdated. Food and drinks were good and priced right. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Service, ViewWheresRalphDined on 8/30/2014Our group of 12 was seated promptly. The waitstaff was very attentive. The food was exceptional. We ordered appetizers, desserts, and bar items. A variety of menu items were ordered: lobster, crab legs, coconut shrimp, calamari, clam chowder. The dinner salads and spinach with bacon dressing were fresh and crisp. Everything was delightful. All the guests commented on the beautiful weather that allowed us to dine on the deck, and the food that was perfect. We will put Captain Bill's at the top of our "will be back" list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed the evening of celebrating a friend's 80th birthday out on the deck. We were seated as requested and were able to serve a cake which we brought in. The only down side was it was a little slow getting our main course.Special Features:
- Good food and friendly staff.Shel6973Dined on 8/22/2014We went for dinner on a Friday night. We both had fish which came in very large portions and a beautiful presentation. The fish was done just right and had good flavor. Wait staff checked on a regularly and were very nice. I will definitely go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Disappointing Birthday VentureFressendasEssenDined on 8/13/2014For my wife's birthday, I decided to take her to Captain Bill's for a fun, new dining experience. It wasn't busy on the patio, so, after we were led to our table, we opted to move to an adjacent one, since the chairs and tabletop were very wet from being wiped down after the previous diners. Our waitress accusingly asked if we had been seated at the original table. She made a quip that we were now sitting in the bar dining area, but that she could accommodate us for dinner, as though it were a grand favor. That set the mood for the evening. The food was seasoned very heavily (read: salty) and lacked any impressive flavor that would make us want to return. If you're in to fatty, salty, unremarkable seafood, this is the place to go.Special Features:
- Another great experienceGolfGuyDined on 8/9/2014We have enjoyed CB's a number of times over the past year and this was just another great time. We requested the deck seating and were very pleased with the ambiénce. The food was wonderful (chowder, Tilapia, coconut shrimp, chicken, and filet) and our server was very accommodating when we requested "conversation time" before ordering entrées. All in all, a memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outdoor seatingwineanddineDined on 8/8/2014We have been here many times in the past and were extremely happy; however last nights visit was not up to their usual. The outside seating is extremely cramped. There were four of us at the table there was no room for the salads and plates at the same time. The service left much to be desired. Our order was screwed up and then when told to put the drinks on a certain bill, which she said was no problem, she put it on the wrong bill. Between cramped tables, poor service, and the food not up to the usual standard, it will be awhile before we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not fancy, but great casual placePersnickety1Dined on 8/8/2014Not a gourmet experience but way above your average family restaurant. The salmon is reliably good, the scallops were well received and the kid'menu is good (Mac and cheese got good reviews). The highlight was some of the friendliest service I've ever experienced. This is a great everyday casual restaurant and the food compares well in this niche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerJimnSherberDined on 8/8/2014I proposed to my wife at Captain Bill's (the Hatch Cover back then) 35 years ago. We celebrated a romantic 33rd wedding anniversary over outstanding dinners, the best ever clam chowder, and a waitress that bent over backwards for us all while enjoying a deck side view of beautiful Lake Mendota. Our experience at Captain Bill's was well worth the two and a half hour drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014The food and atmosphere was just okay... we were expecting more... BUT our server was great!
- Part of a wonderful day!CPA404Dined on 8/2/2014We spent time earlier in the day celebrating our two teenage sons' birthdays and capped it off with a special dinner at Captain Bills. All of our meals (crab cakes, king crab, lobster and steak) were very good, and our server was exceptional. Of course the clam chowder can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lickmyplateDined on 7/30/2014All in all, a very nice experience. Good cocktails, excellent server and service, and the entrees were enjoyable. We had a disabled lady with us and every effort was made to make her feel comfortable and welcome. I would (and have) recommended the restaurant enthusiastically. See you again soon! Gary and Jan Licklider.Special Features:
- Great food, good service.jimguildDined on 7/26/2014Four of us dined in the evening. The service was prompt, the food was very good, the atmosphere was great. All around, a great experience.Special Features:
- Horrible experienceIconoclastDined on 7/26/2014Here for restaurant week and the four of us ordered the surf and turf. Our party included a couple going out for the first time after having a baby, and my fiancé and I who are expecting soon. I ordered the $10 extra upgrade ny strip with my meal, everyone else got the tenderloin. The clam chowder to start was good. When the steaks came, they were all cooked well done. The table ordered 2 medium rares and 2 mediums, so this was a problem. We sent back the steaks (the pregnant lady ate hers as she was too hungry to wait). The new steaks came, and this time we were given 2 well done and 1 rare! We spoke to the manager, who was rather curt. Our bill was cut in half, which helps, but since only one ate their dinner should have been less.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week GemMsBartender608Dined on 7/25/2014My mother, daughter and I came here on a Sunday to kick off restaurant week and our Waitress was Jen. She was very nice and attentive. We chose to sit out side; the view of the lake is very pretty and serene. The food was great; Mother loves their Clam chowder! On Friday, I brought my beau here; we ordered the surf and turf as our entree and added in the garlic mashed potatoes. Our Waiter was Alex and he was also great. The food again was splendid! Please patronize Captain Bill's and other local Restaurant Week establishments during the year and don't forget to tip your Waitstaff accordingly. Us Service Industry Workers appreciate the repeat business and loyalty...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Very busy but it was restaurant week so that was expected.Special Features:
- Want to like it, but falls shortWaunaDinerDined on 7/25/2014I really want to like Captain Bills and I was looking forward to dining there. But it falls short of basic expectations. To start with the host staff are very disorganized....much of the time several staff are standing around. Even saw one just lay his head on the counter. The wait staff rushes around so much it's jarring. Doors are banging open constantly. General atmosphere is worn. The food was good, but slow to arrive. Drinks seemed to be pricey.
- Restaurant WeekcwmagliDined on 7/25/2014Dinner was very good and the service was fantastic. We had Fatima and she was so energetic and vibrant. Being restaurant week it was very busy and Fatima allowed us to take our time and enjoy our meal. She is the reason we are returning two days later to enjoy the great meal again and try the Salmon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Went for restaurant week. Good chowder, stuffed tomatoe. Great lobster and steak-Filet for 25. Great service. Perfect amount, not skimped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodckmadisonDined on 7/24/2014We had a wonderful meal during Restaurant Week in Madison, but Captain Bill's is a great place to go any time of the year. The selection is great, and the food is well prepared and the wait staff very attentive. There is also a very nice deck where one can dine and look at the lake. All in all, Captain Bill's offers great value for the price.Special Features:
- excellent restaurant week dinnerdPenguinDined on 7/24/2014restaurant was very busy on a Thurs. night. Good for Captain Bills. Service was great. Staff was hustling. They accomodated our request for a table on the deck. Beautiful summer evening, and no "skeeters." Food was excellent. Love the clam chowder, dining companion had crab and shrimp stuffed tomato for the appetizer. Surf and turf was very good, and salmon on a plank was too. Only disapointment was they ran out of the key lime pie, but that's understandable given the good turnoutSpecial Features:
- Ordered Surf and Turf enterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Steak seemed smaller portion than 6 oz. clam chowder was good, large selection drink menu, ask for table with lake view when making reservations. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SubparOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014Good was served cold and our waitress wasn't around to say something or ask about our meal. Heard great things but this was a disappointing mealSpecial Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014We got our salad fast but waited a really long time for our dinner. When it finally came it wasn't even worth the wait. Our fish tasted weird and the veggies weren't fully cooked. Wish we ordered something different.Special Features:
- Restaurant week beautynastyDined on 7/23/2014Food was awesome, had steak and lobster, soup was excellent. Dined outside and view was great. Staff was friendly. Would do it again.Special Features:
- Average FoodLacyDined on 7/23/2014The clam chowder was excellent. The salmon on a plank that my husband had was ok, very pale looking. It probably was baked. I had steak and lobster which was good.Special Features:
- GREAT Surf and TurfMedaDined on 7/22/2014I ordered the Surf and Turf and the Lobster was amazing.. The service was great! Even tho it was 100degrees outside, it was comfortable inside... It was a great night at Captain Bill's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedTryingNewThingsDined on 7/22/2014The ambiance is fun but the service and quality of food was below expectations. I may try again at a less busy , but my group left without great impressions.Special Features:
- earlydinerDined on 7/21/2014We had the Turf and Surf deal for restaurant week. While it wasn't as good as the winter restaurant week, it was still very tasty. I suspect the time of year for lobster is better in January. My only disappointment was the chocolate brownie dessert was not very good. The brownie was very dry, almost hard in texture. They should have taken it out of the oven sooner when baking it or maybe it was just old. The ice cream saved it from being inedible. Since we didn't go there for the dessert, that won't stop us from eating there in the future.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekKramerDined on 7/20/2014My boyfriend and I had an incredible meal at Captain Bill's. We sat on the deck for our dinner and it was spectacular and no bugs either:) The clam chowder was the best and the steak and lobster was divine. Awesome server and she was very attentive to us and always made sure we had cocktails and water. Loved it!!!Special Features: