451 Washington Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capsoutofreres.com/
- Phone: 2129664900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jerome Charpentier
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Off site catering is available.
- Entertainment: On special occasions.
- Special Events: Thank you for choosing Capsouto Freres. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you.
- Cross Street: Watts Street
- Public Transit: 1 train to Varick Street/Canal Street, and A, C & E trains to Canal Street. M20 bus: uptown at Hudson Street & Spring Street, and downtown at Varick Street & Grand Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Easy street parking Monday - Friday after 6pm. Weekend parking anytime. Parking lots 1 block nearby.
A word from Capsouto Freres
In 1980, created by three brothers, Jacques, Samuel, and Albert as a classy bistro; Capsouto Freres flourished with a devoted clientele and word of mouth popularity. The sheer charm of the restaurant is felt the moment one walks in. Situated in the 1891 Fleming Smith landmark building in TriBeCa, the restaurant is known for its harmonious combination of openness and elegant craftsmanship creating a feeling of warmth, simplicity, and timelessness. Offering traditional French cuisine with a contemporary twist, Capsouto Freres' fine wines, spirits, and exciting menus provide a blend of innovation and tradition. Dubbed the "souffle sanctuary"; it is a tribute to the spectacular souffle selections. Capsouto Freres has won numerous awards and reviews and it has always been top rated in Zagat Survey. Whether it's a romantic tete-a-tete, an exquisite celebration or gathering, for business or forgetting about business, you will find the Capsouto Freres' welcoming casual elegance at its best.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Capsouto Freres reviews from OpenTable diners
- Hurricane Sandy SadnessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/2/2012Sadly, they are closed because of Hurricane Sandy. They called me and advised that the telephone was on Nov 29 however nothing else. I sure hope they can reopen, this is a fabulous restaurant.Special Features:
- I took my husband there forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/27/2012I took my husband there for his birthday and we were not disappointed. Excellent.Special Features:
- Food is excellent for theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Food is excellent for the price but I'd raise the prices in order upgrade the ambiance. Old French decor is fine for some but with all of the competition in NYC, I want to enjoy the surroundings as well.Special Features:
- Consistently high qualityDinner1Dined on 10/18/2012Consistently high quality in the 15 years we've dined at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch!! If youOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2012Wonderful lunch!! If you love souffle, then dont miss this restaurant! Outstanding raw oysters and clams, paired with champagne! Delightful and perfect savory and souffles followed!! We can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:
- The food is outstanding ifOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/29/2012The food is outstanding if you are looking for classic simple French flavors.Special Features:
- The food, service and ambianceFoodmavenVIPDined on 9/29/2012The food, service and ambiance is excellent. This was my second visit to this restaurant and I would certainly return again.Special Features:
- This is a romantic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2012This is a romantic restaurant with decent food. However at this level I expect to be blown away these days. Both my wife and I liked the food but between us we didn't have one menu item that made us melt in our seats which we do often. No complaints though. Mature crowd. We are early 40s and we were the youngest ones there. Classical music was a nice change. Very interesting wine list. We tried our first Israeli wine and were blown away at how good it was. If you love soufflé, add a star to my review. Personally I don't see the allure.Special Features:
- Food was excellent and serviceRalphVIPDined on 9/29/2012Food was excellent and service truly exceptional. The staff from owner to busboy were friendly and treated you like family. A wonderful place to dine.
- it gets better and better.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2012have been there many times. friend of the family. had the best salmon i have EVER had in my life!!! no kidding.Special Features:
- Competent but disappointing.ffejdbVIPDined on 9/27/2012Competent but disappointing. From reviews, we expected better and would not go back.
- We've been to Capsouto FreresOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2012We've been to Capsouto Freres many times over the years and have never been disappointed....until now. We felt that they were just going through the motions on both the food and the service. Very disappointing.
- wonderfulfavoriteDined on 9/24/2012This restaurant is so special. everything is perfection. everything just right. We drive down from 57 th street, sit in car until restricted parking goes off and then go in for our 6 pm reservation. we recently took our secretary for a treat for her 60 th birthday celebration- everything was perfect. we will come often. food fantastic. stuffed zuccini blossums are exquisite. don't change a thing. Jan FlahertySpecial Features:
- Always a wonderful dininganonymousDined on 9/22/2012Always a wonderful dining experience at Capsouto Freres!Special Features:
- We decided to dine at theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/15/2012We decided to dine at the restaurant as our friends so highly recommended it. My husband had the roasted duck which was amazing. I, on the other hand had the filet of sole almondine, which was just okay. The vegetables that accompanied it were not warm. However, my biggest disappointment as was everyone else at our table was the souffle. I had heard about the souffle, about how delicious it is, but we were quite disappointed with it. We felt that the owner of the restaurant should have insisted on making us a new souffle to our liking.Special Features:
- A dependably outstanding diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2012A dependably outstanding dining experience in everyrespect.Special Features:
- Consistently great food andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2012Consistently great food and ambience. Often see Ed Koch at bunch which speaks volumes.Special Features:
- Great place, definitely goOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012Great place, definitely go back. Food was very good, solid value. Service could be better, but friendly. Recommended.Special Features:
- DEPENDIBLE GOOD FOOD!KimiVIPDined on 8/27/2012Always a consistent and delicious meal. Wonderful staff, excellent food. Relaxing romantic atomosphere.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2012Absolutely delicious food! Beautiful room too. Was a quiet night so service was perhaps a little "too" attentive. Waiter hovering a bit.Special Features:
- Go here for a grown-up celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2012My wife and I live in Australia, but for various reasons found ourselves in Manhattan on our 30th wedding anniversary. Upon the recommendation of a friend, we celebrated at Capsouto Freres. We were delighted with this restaurant. The food was high quality and interesting, without becoming overly trendy. The service is attentive and professional without lapsing into hovering. The wine list is well-chosen and has sufficient variety and depth. Overall, a place that has clearly thought long and hard about their product, and is expert at delivering it.Special Features:
- Ambience and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/18/2012Excellent bistro-style dining in a charming ambience. Wine list is very good but not exepnsive (compared to simila restaurants in Tribeca) and the service is quietly attentive. We ive in the neighborhood now, which is an added plus, but have been dining there for almost 20 years regardless.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the food very muchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2012We enjoyed the food very much and were pleased to have the restaurant week prices extended, but the staff is anything but friendly. Also, the driving and parking directions were poor. There is free parking after 6 just around the corner.
- I went with my friend to trymissmonDined on 8/14/2012I went with my friend to try the Restaurant Week prix fix menu. I ordered the salmon appetizer, the lamb shank and had a hazelnut souffle. The servers were very well mannered and polite, and did not come to the table at other times besides when they were serving us. The ambiance was amazing, very rustic and comfortable. The salmon appetizer was one the best I had ever had. I did not really like the bold flavor of the lamb shank but it is probably just me because my friend ordered the same entree and enjoyed it immensely. The souffle was my main point of coming to the restaurant and sad to say, I did not like the souffle at all. It felt very soupy and the souffle breaks easily.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2012everything, from the staff to the food to the ambiance, was excellent. We were pleasantly greeted and sat at the bar while we waited for our last party member to join us. The souffle's are not to be missed. We went the night before our dinner reservation, just for dessert!Special Features:
- Food is always great the servicetonywestDined on 8/10/2012Food is always great the service goes above and betondSpecial Features:
- Will be added as a top 10OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2012Will be added as a top 10 favorite. First time, absolutely outstanding on every level. Excellent food, warm and helpful service, beautiful restaurant. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- So disappointing, this usedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2012So disappointing, this used to be a terrific place - the room is lovely, if very sparsely filled, the wait stiff all seem depressed, and our foos was okay, except for the desserts which were definitely sub-par and moatly left behind. I don't know if this is because we ordered the Restaurant Week menu, but, if ao, shame on them - if you are going to participate, do it right, or just because they are failing. Either way, it is so sad to see after so many years, particularlu when the neighborhood really needs a place like Capsouto Freres used to be.
- food was average at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2012food was average at best. service was inattentive. not what we expected.
- Another wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2012I have visited Capsouto Freres on numerous occasions and the food has always left a favorable impression. The presentation and taste are wonderful.The venue is lovely....brick walls ,high ceilings,tall windows with lovely light,a long polished wood bar. We were a party of six . Ours entree choices included cod,duck,and lamb shanks ,each one prepared well. Desserts included a slice of chocolate mousse cake, a rhubarb strawberry crisp, and two extra souffles which are renown. The wine list is excellent. We enjoyed a Beaujolais and some beer with our meal. Looking forward to a return trip.Special Features:
- went during restaurant week.kevinDined on 8/7/2012went during restaurant week. Food was really good and service was on point. nice set up inside. a good place for a good mealSpecial Features:
- Lovely dining room, outdatedctltribecaVIPDined on 8/5/2012Lovely dining room, outdated and uninspired cuisine, although the portion sizes are welcome.
- The food was good, the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/3/2012The food was good, the service was attentive. Definitely not much of a scene, seemed more fit for older people, but I can imagine returning for a relaxing glass of wine and a soufle.Special Features:
- Angry disrespectful owner.baba99Dined on 7/31/2012After eating a meal at Capsouto we were leaving the restaurant when we ran into the owner. We told him we had enjoyed the food and liked the room. He then asked whether or not we had ordered any of the Israeli wine? I don't drink but my friend had ordered a glass of the special Bordeaux on the menu, were from California and were happy to have a French Wine which are not as prevelant there. The Israeli Wine was a Cab. The owner then scolded us for not understanding that wines even of the same variety taste different depending on the soil and regional climate of the country. OK? He spoke to us in a condescending angry manner as if we were idiots. He ruined the experience for us and I would not recommend or go back. He ruined it for us.
- Excellent restauant week value.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2012Excellent restauant week value. Wonderful French cuisine. Nice decor in an historic building. BYOB on Tuesdays.Special Features:
- perfect summer eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2012the owner and staff are very friendly, great service. food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Great find in an interestingBob9VIPDined on 7/29/2012Great find in an interesting location. Friendly service and great food!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2012I went for restaurant week and therefore there was a limited menu. We knew this in advance, but realized there were sufficient choices for our group. The front manwas personality plus+. It was as if we had been there several times and he was greeting old friends. The dinner was excellent with perfect, but unobtrusive service. The food was served at the perfect temp and was delicious. After dinner we met Jacques--recognized him from his picture and he was charming and informative. We spent some time discussing wines with him, and he was happy to share his knowledge. One of the bestSpecial Features:
- the raspberry soufle was exquisiterestweekDined on 7/29/2012the raspberry soufle was exquisite . it just melted in my mouth. lovely landmark building.Special Features:
- Your mom might like itMarieVIPDined on 7/29/2012Nothing has changed here in a long time. Same room, same bistro menu, same reasonable prices, same mediocre kitchen, even the same baroque music on the system. This is good if you like things predictable. Unfortunately, the one thing that really redeemed the place is no longer the same: they're not too good at making customers feel welcome. That's something one generally expects from a family owned business. The last two or three times we were there Samuel, the youngest of the brothers, ignored most of the room and got flustered and flapped over really small front of the house stuff. P.S. Also unchanged over the years: The oven is too high and the souffle gets a skin on the outside and is soft and runny on the inside. NOT the best.Special Features: