Capo's Chicago Pizza & Fine Italian Dinners
641 Vallejo Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Capo's Chicago Pizza & Fine Italian Dinners
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sfcapos.com/
- Phone: (415) 986-8998
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Tony Gemignani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Capo’s dining room and bar is a private dining space that can accommodate up to 44 seated guests in the dining room, 11 seated at the bar, or 70 guests for standing receptions. Crafted after the landmark Golden Gate Bridge, our mahogany bar echoes art deco design, which flows through the entire restaurants subtle nod to noir. Capo’s is the ideal location for family-style receptions, birthdays, weddings, rehearsal dinners and team-building events. The restaurant is equipped with an iPod docked sound system and two flat-screen TV’s at the bar which can be used for video presentations. Our bar can be set up for your unique needs, be it open, limited host, or cash bar.
A word from Capo's Chicago Pizza & Fine Italian Dinners
“I want Capo’s to feel like a neighborhood place that’s been here for years, while also transporting guests to a moment in time when Italian-American cuisine began to form its roots in our culture.” - Tony Gemignani. Celebrating classic Chicago-style cuisine with an emphasis on authenticity and quality of ingredients, the menu dishes up favorites like true Chicago-style pizza served on four types of crust: Deep Dish, Cast Iron Pan, Stuffed, and Cracker Thin. Each style is made with Ceresota Flour from one of the oldest mills in Chicago. Capo’s signature dish is marked by the Quattro Forni pizza, taking Gemignani’s World Pizza Championship winning dish, the Tre Forni, to the next level by cooking it four different times as opposed to three; and is limited to 20 per day due to extensive specialized preparations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Capo's Chicago Pizza & Fine Italian Dinners - Best Restaurants in North Beach ›
Capo's Chicago Pizza & Fine Italian Dinners reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (36)good for groups (35)special occasion (14)romantic (13)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (10)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Amazing foodJAR33Dined on 11/24/2014Highly recommend coming here. Great Italian food and amazing wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TremendousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2014The staff is really exceptional in the way they treat you. Make you feel at home and that there really glad to serve and have you there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!!GiGiDined on 11/15/2014Brought my Dad in for his Birthday...we sat at the "Capone" table. Pops was in HEAVEN! This was the best surprise Birthday treat for him! The food was excellent and the staff PHENOMENAL (shout out to the Chefs, Manager, Sergio, Carlos and Ryan [Ryan Thanks for cleaning the clamshell for me ❤️]. We all had a great time and I will definitely recommend Capo's to everyone I meet! Even the Hostess was super sweet (wanted to hug her on the way out lol). Thanks again to EVERYONE for making it such a special night and treating us like Famiglia!! Baci 💋 Amy G.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014The server warned us that the portions were huge and we should share, so right! Order family style. Garlic bread was great and the pizza was super filling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, so-so food.RickVIPDined on 11/12/2014I love the impeccably preserved old-fashioned decor, the exposed brick, the gorgeous bar. It's too bad their specialty (the fattest pizzas you've ever seen in your life) are kind of tasty but way too doughy and expensive. We most certainly did not enjoy the pizzas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJpnparisDined on 11/9/2014The food and service were outstanding, but the noise level was pretty high and you will llp be seated very close to someone else. Don't expect t carry on a romantic or personal conversation as a couple.Special Features:
- Great pizza in wonderful atmosphereMdotsieDined on 11/9/2014The appetizers, salads and pizza were all excellent, but what we appreciated as much as the food was the service. We were there two and a half hours and never felt rushed but also never felt there was too much time between courses. Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. The experience was like eating in a local cafe France or Italy. The decor adds to the fun with brick walls and a copper colored ceiling that are warm and charming.I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingmajorfoodieDined on 11/8/2014If you are looking for the best pizza in town, this is it. As an executive chef, we are pretty picky about our food and I have not found a great pizza any where but this gem. From the minestrone soup, salad were exceptional. We ordered the farmers deep dish, exceptional. They have thin, stuffed and deep dish w/ honey to dip your crust, yum. I want to re visit to try their pastas, entrees and try another selection of pizzas. Bring an appetite, a pizza feeds easily three to four people. The owner Sergio truly puts his soul into his food. Our server was awesome and very attentive. Sorry, I do not get excited about many restaurants and this one I will commute sixty miles to revisit. David.Special Features:
- Great FindwillstoneDined on 11/7/2014We had a great time and this restaurant was a great find. The food and service were superb. We are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- North beach find2foodhoundsDined on 11/6/2014Fabulous authentic food. Pasta with clams delicious. Spicy sausage a little hot but still enjoyable. The best garlic bread ever! Portions large and meant to be shared. My mouth is watering at the Thought.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome pizza!!MareVIPDined on 10/31/2014This place had high ratings, so decided to try and was not disappointed. Had the best Chicago style pizza ever! It was Halloween, very busy, but excellant service and not a long wait for the deep dish pizza. Anyone who loves pizza should try Cappos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden Gem3a9t2pVIPDined on 10/18/2014Went there Saturday night not knowing what to expect. The place is a shrine to the 1920's gangster era. So many pictures , so much history in Al Capones place. The food was wonderful and while I love thin pizza we ordered a Chicago stuffed pie that was fantastic, a meal in itself. There were three of us and we only ate half the pie. Never rushed and the service excellent . Friendly manger and staff, well worth a visit we will return often. Small so make a reservation, bar is lots of fun!!Special Features:
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014My all time spot for great pasta and deep dish pizza!! The service is great! woderful place for the family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianSuzyODined on 10/13/2014I was celebrating my 60th birthday with family and friends. As a native, I love going to North Beach but wanted a place that like the area I knew as a kid with lots of Italian being spoken in a good, authentic restaurant. Capo's had it all: The Italian waiter who was very helpful, delicious, delicious, deep dish Pizza, excellent salads and superb wine. A really memorable night and a place I'll return to again very happily and take family from out of town who want a real North Beach experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New School with Old School AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/8/2014This place has heart! I LOVE the starter soup that they give you while you wait for your food. The food: Italian classics made with quality ingredients. Worth a mention, the warm reception from the front of the house when arriving really sets the tone.Special Features:
- Unbelievable!DoubleTDined on 10/5/2014I went here last Sunday for my 50th birthday with my whole family. Wife and four kids and all found something they liked. Food was rustic, yet creative. Got garlic cheese bread, mostaccioli with meat sauce, house-made honey and calabrese sausage, thin crust margherita and an Old Chicago deep dish. Seriously, this meal was fantastic! We drove in from Danville and will be making the trip back frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before a play...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Made reservations earlier in the day...had horrible traffic over the bay bridge, called, let them know we were going to be late. The manager was amazing and so kind! He made sure we had a table, waiter "Nolan" was super awesome. Staff was very knowledgeable about the menu, gave good recommendations, we had a fabulous time and can't wait to go back. The beer on tap was great, as was the menu of great, unique drinks.Special Features:
- Expectations were too highHappyDadSFVIPDined on 9/26/2014given that it is owned by Tony, the famous pizza guy, i was expecting to be blown away--and it was just average -- some bright spots include the appetizers -- the garlic bread, the four oven (quatro forni), and caesar salad were all enjoyed. however, the pizzas were lackluster -- we had a thin crust (crust wasn't good at all and the veggie toppings made it watered down) and the cast iron pizza was all bread -- the best part was the burnt cheddar cheese on the crust- yum! pinot noir was excellent. if the bill had been half as much as it was, I would likely have felt differently, but when you drop $200 for a pizza dinner, it is a 3 star experience at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy for usdinerdeliteVIPDined on 9/21/2014We've been to Capo's twice; thought it was fun the first time, but this time we were two tables away from a large party who were so noisy it was impossible to enjoy a meal. We won't go back.
- Capo's is Captivatingsman27Dined on 9/20/2014This was my second time at Capo's and once again they exceeded my expectations. Both times were for special occasions. This visit was for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I was a bit nervous since my dad grew up in Palermo Italy. His comments when the evening was over Ambiance A+ and the food was Stupendo (wonderful) and Autentico (authentic). We had ordered the meatballs as a started, 3 came with the dish our fantastic server brought out 4. One for each of us. Capo's goes above and beyond to make you feel like part of the family. This place is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful pizzajohnVIPDined on 9/9/2014Worst thin crust pizza I have every had, in addition it was $29 for a thin crust pizza.Special Features:
- First timers!SFdinerDined on 9/7/2014We saw a review in Sunset Magazine and were excited to give it a try! The service was excellent and we had the award winning Dillinger pizza. Cast iron crust is the way to go if you like deep dish. Very good and highly recommended. Looking forward to a return trip to try other Italian dishes. The homemade sausage looks incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The whole experience was excellent. Staff is friendly and knowledgable. The food was so good. And the portions are very large. Excellent value. Will share things next time and we are definitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza Ever!!bellacucina55Dined on 9/6/2014Capo's far exceeded our expectations! This was one of the best pizza's our family has every had. We had the cast iron pizza, The Dillinger, that just won the competition in Las Vegas. Every bite was better than the last! We are still enjoying the leftovers and cannot wait to return. Thank you for a delicious, well-priced meal. By the way, we had a really nice waiter. He capped off a really nice evening for us!!Special Features:
- Cool spotYumguyDined on 9/6/2014Went here before a comedy show at Cobb's. Sizable portions, yet they don't budge on quality. HighlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not authentic Chicago Deep DishChicagoNativeInCADined on 8/28/2014Anyone from Chicago or has been to Chicago knows the pizza is NOT sweet. Capo's deep dish pizza is sweet and therefore NOT authentic Chicago. If you want authentic, try Gino's East (my favorite) or Lou Malnati's. You can order either online and shipped to your home so do the comparison yourself.
- Love Capo'sLoveCaposVIPDined on 8/27/2014Get the homemade calebrese sausage with honey and cracker think Michigan Ave pizza!Special Features:
- Simply AmazingCallMeTubaDined on 8/26/2014So I'll just start this by saying I'm kind of hard to please. This place was great. It was a cool vintage atmosphere. The waiter was super friendly and really helpful with the menu. It turned to be a romantic dinner and amazing food. I would highly recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:
- Great PizzaCindyDined on 8/25/2014Capo's was a great find. Their portions are rather large. We ordered the mozz garlic bread, artichoke dip and 2 cracker crust pizzas and we took a lot home for the next day. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Found Capo's after reading someone's review of a different restaurant. So decided to take a chance and was pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- BeateVIPDined on 8/22/2014We loved the speakeasy atmosphere and decor with brick walls, old photos, tufted red leather banquets. We suggested they play music from the 30's to enhance the mood. The Big Jim deep dish pizza was yummy with lots of filling and a crust that held up to the weight of the filling. We would definitely return. We saw salads and other pizzas at adjoining tables and they all looked lovely and were claimed to be delicious.Special Features:
- Awesome!YONOVIPDined on 8/21/2014Easily some of the best pizza I've had in San Francisco.Special Features:
- AWESOME!PIzzaVIPDined on 8/21/2014San Francisco isn't a pizza town -- we all know this. Well, this pizza is amazing. I'm going to say its the "Best in SF".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for deep dish pizzaFoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014Good location in North Beach. We were seated promptly. The restaurant has a good vibe and decor but it's quite small, not many good tables for 2. Ordered wine by the pint - nice touch, water wasn't ice-cold - even better. We got the deep dish The Nonna pizza (with bolognese sauce), it was lovely and very big - we had leftovers for lunch and dinner the next day. Also tried their mozzarella garlic bread - the platter for $5 is huge. We were brought a free soup and bread also but didn't touch this in order to save our appetites for the pizza. They said it would be about a 45 minute wait but we got the pizza after about half an hour. I would love to come back to try the The Dillinger but my husband was put off by the cream in it. Recommended.
- Make Time for Deep DisheatmeDined on 8/11/2014enjoyed my experience here. Food was good, server was attentive and kind. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Delightful surprise beautiful spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/10/2014From the attentive service to the delicious food, everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised my sis and daughterMaryKDined on 8/7/2014and brought them here after seeing it reviewed on Check Please! Reservations were a good thing too, as the place was packed. The restaurant is smaller than it looked on the show and the bar was not as welcoming as I would have liked. Still, we got a drink each and then was promptly seated at our booth. Service was good, our waiter offered suggestions. We ordered the Caprese and Cesar salads, then margarita thin crust pizza. The caprese had slices of the mozzarella with what tasted like tomato and red pepper mixture in the middle. Different but delectible. The pizza was super thin, super garlicky and super tasty. We loved it! We left with smiles on our faces, slight damage to my wallet and knowing we will be back.Special Features:
- Best Pizza in San Francsico!DiscriminatingDinerVIPDined on 8/6/2014This is a must-dine venue if you're in the city and need a pizza fix. The "Quattro Forni" pizza with prosciutto is simply one of the best, deep-dish pizzas you will have ever...anywhere! I've had pizza around the world and this is the only one I've ever written about -- it's truly that good! We brought kids as well and they enjoyed the traditional thin crust pizza, but the deep dish was a real treat for the parents. The soup (served with every meal) and the "antipasti platter" we ordered were excellent as well. So is the house wine -- the Capo's Family Recipe -- which is a red meritage of 5 Italian varietals that goes very well with the pizza! I will eat here again the next time I'm in San Francisco, and I'm already missing it back home.Special Features:
- Doesn't take American ExpressAlfonsoDined on 8/5/2014A true gem off of Columbus. Fantastic bold flavorful dishes including thin and deep dish pasta. Mixed greens salad w fried cherries was a knockout. So were the pork chop and pastas. Pastas superior because they were house made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty italian treats!chambersDined on 7/31/2014The conchiglie with seafood is delish! This is my second time dining and I still love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 20 reviews are from the Capo's Chicago Pizza & Fine Italian Dinners reviews archive.