1810 Ocean Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.caporestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3103945550x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm; Closed Sunday – Monday
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bruce Marder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Capo
Capo faire, a modern Italian style cuisine, offers a rustic yet elegant dining room with high-beamed ceilings, flickering candles and a brightly burning corner fireplace. Capo has an extensive wine list of over 130 bottles as well as a full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Capo reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (35)special occasion (35)fit for foodies (33)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (14)hot spot (6)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wood fired grillLisaLMDined on 10/18/2014The key to a great meal here is to get things that allow them to work their magic with that wood fired grill. The calamari we had there was the best I've ever tasted. Service is superb, and the execution of all the dishes we had was spot on. This is not the place to go if you're looking for some new combination of flavors that will blow your mind. But if you want dishes prepared traditionally and simply, highlighting top quality ingredients - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtraordinaryYourBonVivantDined on 10/10/2014This place is "everything" - being a former New York and well-traveled, it has been a tough comparison finding restaurants in LA that exceed the overall 4-star standards. Not only were we dining next to Matt Damon and guests, but Terry Bradshaw lit up the room that night also. The food, the wine, the staff, it is "everything" one would want to experience on a special occasion. It will break the bank, but worth it.Special Features:
- Fun, scrumptous, intimateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014We were treated very well by the staff. They were very warm and friendly. The restaraunt is relatively expensive but the atmosphere was intimate, bubbly and special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West coast foodieLuv2bakeDined on 9/27/2014Would not ever get any meat cooked on fire place... To hot, & burns it.. Char black & bitter:( Now my quatra formage with shaved white truffles was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArtARTYDined on 9/25/2014Great food. Great ambiance. Expensive but worth itSpecial Features:
- FantasticSmittyDined on 9/18/2014Great food, great service, the staff in particular is 5 star right along with the food working hard to make your night specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNuriyceciDined on 9/12/2014Great food and wine. Our server was eager to recommend us the best dishes for us. We will come back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTomfromNewportDined on 9/2/2014This is a very fine restaurant. I would go back definitely. The food was very very good and the wine list was very extensive. However, be prepared for a steep bill. Excellent food and service comes at a price, and this is no exception!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Manager -Best way to loseIMOPINIONDined on 8/26/2014I've never written a review before. A friend who is a foodie in LA & the godfather in Social media suggested we meet at Capo for dinner. The wait staff was great & food was good. After 3 bottles of very good(expensive wine) & 5 fifty dollar+ steaks the manager began to hover like a vulture circling the steak bones and so it started getting a little weird. Then we order some top shelf scotch and desert and the manager again eyed our us like we were taking too long to drink & enjoy the well aged scotch. We paid the 1000+ bill & chatted for few when this AHOLE comes over and asks us to leave! WTF really? This Ahole had no idea he just asked 2 SR execs from Facebook to leave his fine restaurant. OOPS Major F'UP! #Neverkno who customers are!
- A bit disappointedHappyFoodieDined on 8/21/2014I really wanted to love this restaurant. Unfortunately it fell short of my expectations. You have to have deep pockets to eat here. We had a really nice server who was very helpful.The appetizers were better than the two main entrees. We had the 3 pasta sampler, delicious! The ravioli with truffles was my favorite. The Maryland crab torta appetizer was very good. We had the jamon ilberuco prosciutto appetizer which was delicious but pricey! It was not too salty but has a subtle sweetness.The black truffles burrata, You can't go wrong with truffles. The wine list is what they are known for. I recommend a bottle of wine over glass of wine. Wine per glass is quite pricey, $20-35 a glass. Unfortunately, I feel like this restaurant is dated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always packedtarlaVIPDined on 8/19/2014capo is always filled with people as the food is excellent. however, when it gets really busy just relax and be prepared to be there for awhile!Special Features:
- Best vacation DinnerMiguelpaDined on 8/14/2014The good was remarkable with an extensive wine list to select a great wine, one of the best restaurant in our 2 weeks vacation.Special Features:
- White corn ravioliSimonDined on 8/8/2014Pastas are all great. Truffle oil ravioli and white corn ravioli and bring lettuce Ceaser salad are always a must have. Bone in filet is the best and only steak to get. No on Kansas Steak and big NO on the chicken entree.. At $50 for a chicken entree I was expecting something out of This world. It was a big let down.. Stick to the basics.. Pastas and filet in my opinion...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014great food. I loved the "al forno" dishes. Veggies were very fresh. I always eat here when I visit the area.Special Features:
- PerfectmcwooVIPDined on 8/8/2014Cozy charming Italian restaurant. Fabulous food, extensive wine list, great service. Expensive but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewGramVIPDined on 8/5/2014As a New Yorker, nice to find a good Italian restaurant with great food.Special Features:
- RobertVIPDined on 7/29/2014Host did not honor request for a specific table for two that had been confirmed by the restaurant earlier the same afternoon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diningafficionados1VIPDined on 7/12/2014We hadn't been to Capo for about 5 years as we live out of town. It was even better than we remembered. Our dinners were delicious, the service warm and full of helpful recommendations and the wine list very impressive. It is definitely one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in LAkimberVIPDined on 7/11/2014There is not one thing this restaurant could improve. Perfect. Food, wine, service, music, art, ambiance, even the cool dishes… Cannot be beat. My family has been to 5-star restaurants all over the world. We have never had better food or a better experience than at Capo. Also, Capo is CONSISTENTLY good. Not like restaurants where you have a great experience and then go back and it does not live up to your memory. EVERY visit to Capo is perfect. Everytime we bring new people to experience it they agree as well. Never had a dish that was not PERFECT. So far we have had at least 12 different people not believe it until they experienced it and ALL agreed. Don't miss this hidden gem in Santa Monica!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Great food, great atmosphere. The wine is over priced. ($50 corkage fee??)Special Features:
- FantasticKimberlyBVIPDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant is full service. They are mindful of every detail of your dining experience. My second time here and I'm looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UninspiredstevemclDined on 6/28/2014Had high hopes for this place. Wanted it to be amazing, and at this price-point it should have been stunning! Unfortunately it was just "ok" at best. Had a variety of dishes from cured meats, to pasta, to shrimp and NY Steak–all average to disappointing. Spent 5 minutes cutting the char from my steak, and my wife spent 10 minutes shifting through soggy shrimp and run-of-the-mill cured meats. They happily swapped a few of the more problematic dishes. Still, with each dish served, our level of satisfaction decreased along with our faith in their ability to deliver a competent dish. When the wine is the highlight of the evening, the restaurant has failed. In the end, it was a letdown and we walked away from an unmemorable experience.Special Features:
- high price items pushedmargorensDined on 6/28/2014loved the food but felt like one waitress we had pushed us to change our order to some special pasta that we specifically told her we probably wouldnt like bc we didnt like main ingredient and she said "no you really must try it". So we were like fine, it's just a pasta if we don't like it we still have our main course. The pasta/person she pushed on us ended up being way more expensive than our $50 main/person. That was annoying.Special Features:
- The following 366 reviews are from the Capo reviews archive.
- Amazing Anniversary Evening!MJD2inPDRVIPDined on 6/17/2014We selected to dine at Capo for our Anniversary and truly received the royal treatment from our server and others from Capo. This is one of our favorite places because the food is so special and the services always wonderful. We were is for a special treat because it happened to be a "star studded evening" so there was an additional positive energy in the restaurant.Special Features:
- ExceptionalEatinOutDined on 6/13/2014Everything was superb and decadent and delicious. Pricey, but for a special occasion, it is a great spot.Special Features:
- AverageMrLAManDined on 6/11/2014Sorry to say but very overrated and over priced. In NYC or Las Vegas Capo would be very average at best. Save your money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so experiencecab50VIPDined on 5/31/2014Wilted romaine was not so hot. Lobster risotto had very little lobster. We all had heartburn after the meal.
- First class diningAbcdefgDined on 5/30/2014First time dining experience was excellent. Great service. Amazing flavours in the food, very talented staff, everything was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aaaah Mazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Was looking for a good steakhouse on the westside and this place came highly recommended and did not disappoint. From the bbq'd cesar salad to the NY steak. Perfectly cooked, smokey flavor from the natural wood burning bbq and the truffle meat sauce pasta.... to die for! I look forward to coming back to try all of the other amazing looking dishes including the filet and fish selections.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/24/2014Food is excellent. Wine prices are outrageously overpriced. Markups can get up to 300-400 percent from retail. Service felt rushed, they try and turn tables. Better to eat late or just make sure to set the pace yourself. Very expensive restaurants should never make someone feel rushed. Go with the pastas, they are some of the best I have ever had.
- RockyDined on 5/23/2014The best high end Italian in LA County. The menu is extensive . The food was excellent as was the service. Try something with Truffles or IL FORNO. This is a great spot for a special dinner because it is very expensive. However, you get what you pay for.Special Features:
- 5 Stars is not enoughMikeZVIPDined on 5/11/2014Over the years we have been to Capo on special occasions and have never been disappointed, however we now find ourselves going more regularly. The service, ambiance and food deserve 6 stars (like in the movie Spinal Tap they're an 11 one more than 10). We are already looking forward to planning our next visit.Special Features:
- PriceychowhoundDined on 5/11/2014Everything was great but if you think the Ivy is expensive forget about it.Special Features:
- worth the money?bayheadVIPDined on 5/6/2014As a NYer, I'm always looking for good pasta in LA. This place has it but at a price.... an expensive one. Huge menu and wine list, almost too much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Santa Monica GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/29/2014Outstanding steaks. Great pasta. Fabulous wine list. Experienced and helpful servers. Well oiled machine. Fantastic soufflés and blackberry crumble. Sophisticated menu but yet simple and casual. One of the very best restaurants in Los AngelesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak!1funmumDined on 4/26/2014The steak was one of the best I have ever eaten! $175 for a huge piece of meat (2 people shared). I ordered wine by the glass. My mistake was not asking the price. When we received the bill I almost died. $35 a glass!! Dinner for 4 was almost $1,000 before the tip!Special Features:
- Trust...CoachGreeneDined on 4/18/2014I'm a longtime road warrior, amateur chef, professional eater! IMHO, the most important thing when choosing a place to dine is "trust"! Trust in the food, trust in the experience, trust in the hope that your expectations will be exceeded! I trust Capo. I have been coming to this place for several years. I have been there through different stages of my life as well as the restaurant's. From hot new comer, to trendy A-lister, to solid, modern practitioner of vanguard cuisine. I have found Capo to always be evolving in taste, preparation as well as presentation and crowd. But, always trusted to deliver a superb experience. My latest vista….two nights ago…incredible, again. Put the lobster risotto at the top of any list you have!Special Features:
- Faboulous but pricy!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014The food is always incredible. My complaint is they cram too may tables into that space. I could hear everything being said by the two tables next to us. The white wine by the glass was $25.00 per glass. Had I known the price I would have looked at bottles. Be prepared to pay $300-$400 for dinner (with drinks). If the price is not an issue and you want a fabulous dinner then Capo is the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy placekaydinesoutVIPDined on 4/1/2014Busy, crowded, noisy. Food is good but not outstanding. Unassuming from the outside, attractive on the inside. Wines by the glass are expensive.
- Superb Food!missajp1Dined on 3/22/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. It was one of the best meals I've ever had! The menu is full of amazing options. We ended up ordering several appetizers, a pasta dish, and desserts to share. The grilled caesar salad and grilled octopus were incredible, as was the burrata. I had flourless chocolate souffle for dessert that was light and airy and a perfect finish. They have quite a few servers, so you are well cared for while dining. I didn't want for anything from water refills to menu suggestions to help with their extensive wine list. I think you would be happy with anything you ordered here. Prices are high, but it's worth it, especially for special occasion dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.