Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
231 Sixth Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37219Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capitolgrillenashville.com/
- Phone: (615) 345-7116
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 6:30am - 10:30am Lunch: Daily 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Daily 5:00pm - 10:00pm Brunch: Sundays 11:00am - 2:00pm
Oak Bar: 11:00am - 11:00pm Sunday - Thursday and 11:00am - 12:00am Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Tyler Brown
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Limited set menu offerings for social & business events. Please call Kimberly Gawthorpe at 615-345-7109.
- Private Party Facilities: Capitol Grille - The Hermitage Hotel - Nashville offers 5 private dining spaces seating from 12 to 250 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Mangold 6153457116x
A word from Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
Located in the century old Hermitage Hotel, the commitment to preservation continues in the Capitol Grille and Oak Bar. Relaxed, low key, and known as the place for Nashvillians “in the know”, the Capitol Grille is inspired by cultural sustainability. That is, preserving the past while using techniques of the present. Our commitment to using local food extends beyond just sourcing local. The ingredients are grown at the farm at Glen Leven, located just 5 miles from the Capitol Grille by Executive Chef and Farmer Tyler Brown. Brown creates a menu that shifts with the seasons, is inspired by what is the freshest and best available, and pays homage to historic Southern cuisine. The Capitol Grille actively supports and is involved with Share Our Strength, an organization whose mission is to end childhood hunger by 2015, the Chef’s Move to Schools program, as well as the Southern Foodways Alliance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville - Best Restaurants in Nashville ›
Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (95)romantic (71)fit for foodies (67)notable wine list (50)good for groups (30)great for lunch (21)vibrant bar scene (20)great for brunch (16)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Portions a little too small but all good Good service and wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average hotel restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014Capitol Grille provides a high-end dining experience without being too stuffy. This is our go-to for farm to table in Nashville, and it's incredibly convenient for shows at TPAC (1 block away).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service!DanaVIPDined on 11/19/2014Along with everyone else in Nashville, we decided to have dinner at the Capitol Grille before a performance at TPAC. We had reservations, but there were many folks there who did not. The restaurant and bar were both slammed. Still, our waiter was aware we were crunched for time and did a great job. One of us wanted the legendary club sandwich from the bar menu,and he even made that happen. I know it is a wonderful place for a leisurely romantic night, but I was very impressed that they could get so many people in and out on a very busy night. Love the bar too- especially Deb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations not metOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014With a chef of some reputation to uphold, locally-raised proprietary beef and a lovely old dining room I expected something worth remembering, but I was wrong. The food was acceptable but not interesting nor particularly tasty. The service was friendly but untrained and not very good. The price was too high for the mediocrity of the menu, the presentation and the service. Very disappointing.
- Overall a good experienceJMS1Dined on 11/16/2014In Nashville for the third time. Decided to use some online reviews and go with the Capitol Grille. Arrived for our 5pm reservations( I now realize this must be EARLY for Nashville) and we were the ONLY one's in the restaurant(felt a bit awkward). Had to wait several minutes for our table (?? why??) but the hostess took my wife's coat and a drink order. Seated finally and the night looked up from there! The waiter was excellent; attentive but not overly. The salad was a 10 and the squash soup was different but not bad by any means. I ordered the fillet, my wife had the scallops; both cooked to perfection...which then led us to discuss WHY this restaurant was so empty(8 others had entered in the 45 minutes after we arrived)?! The wine selection was adequate and the décor is historical yet elegant. All in all, go there! I can see myself going back again and expecting another quality meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visit, but don't expect culinary greatnessOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/16/2014I'm local but this was my first visit to the Hermitage and the Capitol Grille (brunch). The lobby and restaurant are gorgeous, and the hotel staff was very friendly and had fun entertaining my toddler. There were some great touches at the restaurant - french press coffee, truly fresh juice and a nice fruit plate, but the standards like eggs, waffles and "confit" potatoes were absolutely nothing special. It's worth a visit, just don't expect to be wowed by the food. Our server wasn't very friendly or attentive, but everyone else in the hotel was so it was a wash. Dress code was all over the place with the hotel guests in everything from t-shirts to neckties, so don't worry being under- or over-dressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting the food to be better.JodySaysDined on 11/15/2014We went here for a weekend in Nashville. The ambiance was great although the restaurant was empty. With the exception of the mac n cheese everything was bland. We had hoped dessert would redeem the experience but it did not. The "deconstructed" pumpkin pie was a failure. More like pie filling on the side. Same with the sorbet. No options for vegans other than a bitter pea chowchow and roasted beets.
- After a lovely dinner, lunch disappointedArthurJacobVIPDined on 11/15/2014We had wonderful service, thanks to Joshua, but lunch was off. One glass smelled bad - it was the glass not the water. Or maybe it was the cherry tomatoes in a steak salad; they were not just cold but on the cusp of frozen. Refrigerated tomatoes? NO, NO, NO. Maybe it was the hangar steak which was just OK, or the mediocre bread. We wondered if the kitchen chef is different from lunch to dinner since dinner had been quite good. Def. not exceptional, nor excellent, nor good, just OK for us at lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capitol Grille was quite enjoyableArthurJacobVIPDined on 11/14/2014The knowledgable sommelier and extensive wine list were a pleasure. We were a large party and all of us were delighted with the atmosphere, service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Beautiful PlaceDave260VIPDined on 11/6/2014I've only eaten here twice, but the food is top notch and the setting and ambiance is wonderful. The Capitol Grille and the Hermitage Hotel are must-see places due to their beauty alone. Throw in the fact that the food is really terrific and you've got a dining destination. The atmosphere is one of old-fashioned high-class dining. This is not a trendy, hip, place to go with a big group of friends. It's a great place for a business lunch, a meal with your spouse or parent, or just have a fine-dining experience. And if you go at lunch, the prices can be reasonable (Blue Plate lunch around $14).Special Features:
- Can't be in a hurry for lunchBluebirdVIPDined on 11/4/2014We had reservations and were seated immediately. It seemed like staff was hustling, however, things were slow getting to our table. For example when she brought my coffee she stated my cream and sugar was on the way, however, it took so long I was about to ask for it again before it finally came - too long. Food took awhile too - IT WAS DELICIOUS worth the wait. I will definitely go back, however will probably order an appetizer if I'm hungry !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's "O", not "A"gabrijVIPDined on 11/3/2014So I have to blame myself - I went here thinking it was the Capital Grille. It's not. I suppose they did nothing wrong, but I was very disappointed when I walked in and saw a very different menu than I had expected. That said, I had a very nice dinner, although I don't think I will return. It was a hefty price tag for a very good, but by no means unforgettable, meal. Our waiter was very helpful in describing the menu and making recommendations, as well as very attentive throughout our meal. Bottom line, check the menu out online before you go, to make sure you know what you're getting. If it looks appealing to you, then you will not be disappointed by the service, quality of preparation, etc, all of which were very good.
- Nice ambiance, ok foodanoleDined on 11/2/2014For the price, I expected more. You're paying for the location, the service, and the ambiance, which is lovely. The food was good, but not particularly memorable.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceBrentDined on 11/1/2014Dustin our server did a fantastic job. Very personable, excellent communication well versed on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3MuskateersApproveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Good spot for friends to meet prior to attending shows at TPAC. Great Margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Evening Affair.123456Dined on 10/28/2014I appreciate all that your Open Table Staff did to make the evening an enjoyable affair.Special Features:
- Good today but not fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014The food was fine just not special as is usually the caseSpecial Features:
- Not as good as it used to beFoodieDined on 10/25/2014Went back here for the first time in years... disapointed. Very limited menu, Onion Bisque was thin and lacked sherry; the Charcuterie plate was mostly fat. Scallops were cooked with tarragon and were bitter. The lamb had great flavor but was cold and gone in six bites. Their executive chef Tyler Brown, never seems to be in the kitchen. Great ambiance, good cocktails and wine, but food is just not what it used to be. Now that we have so many options for fine dining in Nashville, you would think the CG would have to up its game a bit... Manager was very nice and took a few items off our bill, but I would have much rather paid for a better experience.Special Features:
- egeeDined on 10/25/2014The service was excellent and I was very pleased that rose petals were on the table to celebrate my daughter's birthday. It was even additionally special that the waiter and captain wished her a Happy Birthday. The complimentary dessert was a surprise and much appreciated!!Special Features:
- Excellent mealkapy3Dined on 10/24/2014Overall excellent meal. Our table ordered several appetizers and sides in addition to the main courses, and everything was great. Also had a great Frank Family Zinfandel that you don't see on menus outside of the west coast very often. I currently live in Washington DC and used to live in NYC, and the food here definitely was on bar with the better restaurants that I've been to in both cities. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- It's the HermitageNashvillejimDined on 10/21/2014It's the dinning experience you come to expect at the Hermitage. The wine list was excellent. The menu was a wonderful mix of sophistication and southern (truffles over grits). Our server was attentive without being overbearing. I let them know we were having our 25th anniversary when I made the reservation and we were greeted with congratulations at the desk and rose petals on our table top. The experience was topped of with a beautiful and delishous dessert. It was a very memorial evening and much more than just a meal out.Special Features:
- an excellent dining experienceDonaldVIPDined on 10/20/2014from the person who greeted us to the waitor to the food. All were five stars. If you are in Nashville, this place is a gem not to be missed. A very notable wine selection as well and some fabulous single malt varieties. Some one really understand the bar!Special Features:
- Not much on the menuWendyDined on 10/19/2014We have been to the Capital Grille before, late in the evening, and enjoyed the bar. The history and architecture of the building are breathtaking. This time we went for Sunday brunch and I have to say that the service and ambiance were wonderful. However, I found the menu to be lacking. There just wasn't much to choose from, and nothing was extra special. There were 8 in our group, so there were several different entrees ordered. The winners were the club and the steak and eggs. I don't think we will do the Sunday brunch again.Special Features:
- Good! Just not great.Zpet123Dined on 10/18/2014Perfect location for enjoying a date night at TPAC or downtown. Food was good, just hoped for great food at this price point. The menu was innovative & offered some interesting thoughts (coffee-infused vinaigrette, squid with kimchee), but the end product still tasted very...safe. So if you're looking for a reliable meal, this is great but if you're looking for a foodie experience, it's not quite there. Lovely, lovely service.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We enjoy a great restaurant, and this one had all the right touches...intelligent host that knew we needed a place off to ourselves, a great waiter, really delightful food. Can't say enough good things about it!Special Features:
- I was very disappointed.SkyQueen74Dined on 10/15/2014This restaurant is obviously a local favorite. Several groups were dining here. However, the noise was 4+...so much so, that I had to yell to my fiancé at our 2 person table. I tried to click on 4 bars for noise, but this site would not take over 3; a glitch, I guess. The food was so-so and quite expensive. However, the service was exceptionally good; and the decor perfect and comfortable.Special Features:
- Fine downtown Nashville diningRussVIPDined on 10/13/2014First--this restaurant is not part of the "Capital Grill" group. It is a standalone restaurant in the Hermitage Hotel. But that is not a downside. We found the décor of the hotel to be lovely. The service staff was pleasant and efficient. The menu selections were interesting, ranging from fish to game as were the sides. The wine by the glass list was very good. All in all, a fine dining experience for anyone finding themselves in downtown Nashville.Special Features:
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014Great food--all of the farm to table items allows me to feel good about what I am eating as well as simply enjoying taste. There is great service and great atmosphere. Feel as though I have been pampered when I leave. So nice not to have to worry about parking or anything for that matter. Chef Brown has it ALL together and makes this architectural treasure that is the Hermitage come to life with perfect fare for Nashville.Special Features:
- StBusterSBusterDined on 10/12/2014Excellent t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t tt t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t tSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than met expectationsWinnipegBelleDined on 10/11/2014We thought this was part of the Capital Grille chain when we booked. Obviously, it is not. It is old-time down South updated decor with a flair and absolutely delightful The menu is Southern with a modern flair and was incredibly delicious. Our server was knowledgeable and gracious. It was a great evening.Special Features:
- Per-opera DinnerOklahomaDined on 10/11/2014Table was ready and service was excellent. Our waiter inquired about our curtin time so he could time our service properly. We were not rushed but he was attentive. The food was beautifully prensented and excellent. Portions were not grossly huge, which was a wonderful change from many other places, but were still generous. The wine list was very interesting with lots of choices. It was a lovely dinner experience and we will certainly return.Special Features:
- Consistancy reigns at The GrillSpyrosVIPDined on 10/10/2014One can always count on pretty good food at a Capitol Grill. In Nashville we were staying at the Hermitage Hotel which houses The Grill, so we stopped in our first night. The onion bisque was fantastic (came back and had it again for lunch), the farm salad was fresh and delicious, and our entrees (trout and quail) were equally impressive. Service was a bit slow but not horrible. Good choice of wines, too. Plus, the men's room is a landmark! Seriously!Special Features:
- Great business lunchRong4uDined on 10/9/2014Had a very good business meeting, great food and service.Special Features:
- Great DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Our group of four had an outstanding evening at the Capitol Grille. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. This was our first time dinning at the restaurant. I don't know why we have not dined here before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above ExpectationsrobertEDined on 10/5/2014Dined at the Capitol Grille Sunday, Oct 5. Made the reservation a week earlier and mentioned that it was our anniversary. Did not expect to be taken to a romantic table with rose petals on the table cloth. Dinner was fantastic. I had the roast quail and my lovely wife had the hangar steak. Both were superb. The wine and whiskey lists are extensive and will fulfill anyones wishes. The service was wonderful despite a very large group that came in shortly after us. Our waiter was impeccable and saw to our every need. This was our first visit to Nashville and the Hermitage Hotel. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not cheap, bit well worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014Everything it is cracked up to be. Expensive, but highly recommend. Check out the men's bathroom (even the ladies), it's a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Southern meets Farm to TablejcunninDined on 10/4/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Capitol Grille. They source virtually everything locally, and the quality of these ingredients is apparent in the food. Preparations are not overly complex, and showcase the freshness of the food. The wine list is impressive. Surroundings are traditional and the hotel itself is a gem (go up the stairs and see that lobby!). Service was very good and friendly/professional. Those little yeast rolls floated out of the bread basket! Our party of four (celebrating our son's engagement) ordered the scallops (succulent), a small filet mignon, the swordfish (earned a Facebook post by my son) and the lamb, which was so nicely seasoned. Desserts were southern style, and therefore quite sweet. A lovely experience!!!Special Features:
- PatronNeveragainDined on 10/4/2014I had the brisket and it was horrible. The meat was fatty and uneatable. After complaining I was not offered another choice. Parenthetically, I never complain about a dish but in this case I am making an exception. It was too pricey as well. Related to item #2, one of the choices should be "I would not recommend this restaurant"Special Features:
- Nashville ClassicHappyHalVIPDined on 10/3/2014Spent a long weekend in Nashville with friends, and are glad we put the Capitol Grill at the iconic 103 year old Hermitage Hotel on our "must" list. It was a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duh!MamaMiaDined on 10/2/2014Elegant! Historic! Food Unbelievable! A must repeat. Soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.