Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
231 Sixth Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37219Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capitolgrillenashville.com/
- Phone: 6153457116x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 6:30am - 10:30am Lunch: Daily 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Daily 5:00pm - 10:00pm Brunch: Sundays 11:00am - 2:00pm
Oak Bar: 11:00am - 11:00pm Sunday - Thursday and 11:00am - 12:00am Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Tyler Brown
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Limited set menu offerings for social & business events. Please call Kimberly Gawthorpe at 615-345-7109.
- Private Party Facilities: Capitol Grille - The Hermitage Hotel - Nashville offers 5 private dining spaces seating from 12 to 250 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Mangold 6153457116x
A word from Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
Located in the century old Hermitage Hotel, the commitment to preservation continues in the Capitol Grille and Oak Bar. Relaxed, low key, and known as the place for Nashvillians “in the know”, the Capitol Grille is inspired by cultural sustainability. That is, preserving the past while using techniques of the present. Our commitment to using local food extends beyond just sourcing local. The ingredients are grown at the farm at Glen Leven, located just 5 miles from the Capitol Grille by Executive Chef and Farmer Tyler Brown. Brown creates a menu that shifts with the seasons, is inspired by what is the freshest and best available, and pays homage to historic Southern cuisine. The Capitol Grille actively supports and is involved with Share Our Strength, an organization whose mission is to end childhood hunger by 2015, the Chef’s Move to Schools program, as well as the Southern Foodways Alliance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville - Best Restaurants in Nashville ›
Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (93)romantic (74)fit for foodies (70)notable wine list (48)good for groups (28)great for brunch (20)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (17)neighborhood gem (12)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good today but not fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014The food was fine just not special as is usually the caseSpecial Features:
- Not as good as it used to beFoodieDined on 10/25/2014Went back here for the first time in years... disapointed. Very limited menu, Onion Bisque was thin and lacked sherry; the Charcuterie plate was mostly fat. Scallops were cooked with tarragon and were bitter. The lamb had great flavor but was cold and gone in six bites. Their executive chef Tyler Brown, never seems to be in the kitchen. Great ambiance, good cocktails and wine, but food is just not what it used to be. Now that we have so many options for fine dining in Nashville, you would think the CG would have to up its game a bit... Manager was very nice and took a few items off our bill, but I would have much rather paid for a better experience.Special Features:
- egeeDined on 10/25/2014The service was excellent and I was very pleased that rose petals were on the table to celebrate my daughter's birthday. It was even additionally special that the waiter and captain wished her a Happy Birthday. The complimentary dessert was a surprise and much appreciated!!Special Features:
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/24/2014Overall excellent meal. Our table ordered several appetizers and sides in addition to the main courses, and everything was great. Also had a great Frank Family Zinfandel that you don't see on menus outside of the west coast very often. I currently live in Washington DC and used to live in NYC, and the food here definitely was on bar with the better restaurants that I've been to in both cities. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- It's the HermitageNashvillejimDined on 10/21/2014It's the dinning experience you come to expect at the Hermitage. The wine list was excellent. The menu was a wonderful mix of sophistication and southern (truffles over grits). Our server was attentive without being overbearing. I let them know we were having our 25th anniversary when I made the reservation and we were greeted with congratulations at the desk and rose petals on our table top. The experience was topped of with a beautiful and delishous dessert. It was a very memorial evening and much more than just a meal out.Special Features:
- Not much on the menuWendyDined on 10/19/2014We have been to the Capital Grille before, late in the evening, and enjoyed the bar. The history and architecture of the building are breathtaking. This time we went for Sunday brunch and I have to say that the service and ambiance were wonderful. However, I found the menu to be lacking. There just wasn't much to choose from, and nothing was extra special. There were 8 in our group, so there were several different entrees ordered. The winners were the club and the steak and eggs. I don't think we will do the Sunday brunch again.Special Features:
- Good! Just not great.Zpet123Dined on 10/18/2014Perfect location for enjoying a date night at TPAC or downtown. Food was good, just hoped for great food at this price point. The menu was innovative & offered some interesting thoughts (coffee-infused vinaigrette, squid with kimchee), but the end product still tasted very...safe. So if you're looking for a reliable meal, this is great but if you're looking for a foodie experience, it's not quite there. Lovely, lovely service.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We enjoy a great restaurant, and this one had all the right touches...intelligent host that knew we needed a place off to ourselves, a great waiter, really delightful food. Can't say enough good things about it!Special Features:
- I was very disappointed.SkyQueen74Dined on 10/15/2014This restaurant is obviously a local favorite. Several groups were dining here. However, the noise was 4+...so much so, that I had to yell to my fiancé at our 2 person table. I tried to click on 4 bars for noise, but this site would not take over 3; a glitch, I guess. The food was so-so and quite expensive. However, the service was exceptionally good; and the decor perfect and comfortable.Special Features:
- Fine downtown Nashville diningRussVIPDined on 10/13/2014First--this restaurant is not part of the "Capital Grill" group. It is a standalone restaurant in the Hermitage Hotel. But that is not a downside. We found the décor of the hotel to be lovely. The service staff was pleasant and efficient. The menu selections were interesting, ranging from fish to game as were the sides. The wine by the glass list was very good. All in all, a fine dining experience for anyone finding themselves in downtown Nashville.Special Features:
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014Great food--all of the farm to table items allows me to feel good about what I am eating as well as simply enjoying taste. There is great service and great atmosphere. Feel as though I have been pampered when I leave. So nice not to have to worry about parking or anything for that matter. Chef Brown has it ALL together and makes this architectural treasure that is the Hermitage come to life with perfect fare for Nashville.Special Features:
- StBusterSBusterDined on 10/12/2014Excellent t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t tt t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t tSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than met expectationsWinnipegBelleDined on 10/11/2014We thought this was part of the Capital Grille chain when we booked. Obviously, it is not. It is old-time down South updated decor with a flair and absolutely delightful The menu is Southern with a modern flair and was incredibly delicious. Our server was knowledgeable and gracious. It was a great evening.Special Features:
- Per-opera DinnerOklahomaDined on 10/11/2014Table was ready and service was excellent. Our waiter inquired about our curtin time so he could time our service properly. We were not rushed but he was attentive. The food was beautifully prensented and excellent. Portions were not grossly huge, which was a wonderful change from many other places, but were still generous. The wine list was very interesting with lots of choices. It was a lovely dinner experience and we will certainly return.Special Features:
- Consistancy reigns at The GrillSpyrosVIPDined on 10/10/2014One can always count on pretty good food at a Capitol Grill. In Nashville we were staying at the Hermitage Hotel which houses The Grill, so we stopped in our first night. The onion bisque was fantastic (came back and had it again for lunch), the farm salad was fresh and delicious, and our entrees (trout and quail) were equally impressive. Service was a bit slow but not horrible. Good choice of wines, too. Plus, the men's room is a landmark! Seriously!Special Features:
- Great business lunchRong4uDined on 10/9/2014Had a very good business meeting, great food and service.Special Features:
- Great DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Our group of four had an outstanding evening at the Capitol Grille. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. This was our first time dinning at the restaurant. I don't know why we have not dined here before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above ExpectationsrobertEDined on 10/5/2014Dined at the Capitol Grille Sunday, Oct 5. Made the reservation a week earlier and mentioned that it was our anniversary. Did not expect to be taken to a romantic table with rose petals on the table cloth. Dinner was fantastic. I had the roast quail and my lovely wife had the hangar steak. Both were superb. The wine and whiskey lists are extensive and will fulfill anyones wishes. The service was wonderful despite a very large group that came in shortly after us. Our waiter was impeccable and saw to our every need. This was our first visit to Nashville and the Hermitage Hotel. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not cheap, bit well worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014Everything it is cracked up to be. Expensive, but highly recommend. Check out the men's bathroom (even the ladies), it's a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Southern meets Farm to TablejcunninDined on 10/4/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Capitol Grille. They source virtually everything locally, and the quality of these ingredients is apparent in the food. Preparations are not overly complex, and showcase the freshness of the food. The wine list is impressive. Surroundings are traditional and the hotel itself is a gem (go up the stairs and see that lobby!). Service was very good and friendly/professional. Those little yeast rolls floated out of the bread basket! Our party of four (celebrating our son's engagement) ordered the scallops (succulent), a small filet mignon, the swordfish (earned a Facebook post by my son) and the lamb, which was so nicely seasoned. Desserts were southern style, and therefore quite sweet. A lovely experience!!!Special Features:
- PatronNeveragainDined on 10/4/2014I had the brisket and it was horrible. The meat was fatty and uneatable. After complaining I was not offered another choice. Parenthetically, I never complain about a dish but in this case I am making an exception. It was too pricey as well. Related to item #2, one of the choices should be "I would not recommend this restaurant"Special Features:
- Nashville ClassicHappyHalVIPDined on 10/3/2014Spent a long weekend in Nashville with friends, and are glad we put the Capitol Grill at the iconic 103 year old Hermitage Hotel on our "must" list. It was a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duh!MamaMiaDined on 10/2/2014Elegant! Historic! Food Unbelievable! A must repeat. Soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StunningFoodishDined on 9/28/2014This restaurant has one of the most stunning dinning rooms I've ever dined in. A real southern gem, the men's room is quite amazing (never thought I would say that about a reataurant) The authentic ambiance is what sets this place apart (it's over 100 years old), it is really like stepping back in time. The food was also excellent, I had the calamari and lamb, I would recommend both, the calamari was servered with broccoli for a surprisingly great marriage of the two. The ambiance and service were what really shined. Our waitress was very nice and went out of her way to make us feel at home and share with us some local spots with an impeccable attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.travel2eatDined on 9/27/2014Capitol Grille at Hermitage Hotel is awesome. The food is great and service is great. Chef is obviously talented. Only issue was the fact that we had reservations for over 3 months and they called 2 nights before to see if we were going to still use them...guess they were overbooked. Also, got a very small table. But for the dining experience, it can't be beat. The acoustics are not the best in the dining room, so if there are inebriated guests or just loud talkers, the sound carries and can be disruptive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComfortableCoyoteCDined on 9/22/2014The Capitol Grill is a very classy and yet comfortable restaurant with great food.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 9/20/2014Very Enjoyable evening. The food was excellent. Having vegetables right out of their garden was a bonus. Also, the outstanding meat they raise on their farm was delicious. I also enjoyed the scallops very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding as alwaysalohapiperDined on 9/20/2014this is one of our favorite places in downtown nashville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- snapVIPDined on 9/19/2014We had heard wonderful things about Capitol Grille, and while the food was good, the meal was somewhat disappointing. The servers were enthusiastic about certain dishes, which we ordered, but found both the steak and scallops to be nothing special,and the heirloom tomato salad to be a bit overdressed. Food came a little too quickly even though the room was not filled, and we had hoped to dine leisurely. While I enjoy patronizing restaurants that use locally-sourced food, I am not sure that fact automatically makes food better.
- SupertoothDined on 9/18/2014You get what you'd expect from this high end restaurant. Food is not fancy, but well prepared and presented with very good service.Special Features:
- Upscale SteakhouseGumpsterVIPDined on 9/18/2014Our recent first visit to the Capitol Grille exceeded our expectations. Honestly, I booked an early reservation before a show at TPAC primarily due to location, but also based on things I heard about their locally sourced ingredients. I did not realize those ingredients included their own raised livestock for steaks and farm sourced vegetables! That is something the better known Capital Grille can't touch! Dining room is formal but not stuffy, lined with pictures of historic Nashville. The steaks were amazing and perfectly prepared. The wine list was well curated and maybe a little on the high end, not overpriced though (just a very nice selection). Service was spot on. Overall, highly recommend for the next steak dinner.Special Features:
- WonderfulEvening!Luv2dineDined on 9/17/2014Impeccable service!! Food was superb! Expensive but worth it!Special Features:
- Great eveningFoodloverDined on 9/16/2014Thoroughly enjoyed dinner and the entire evening. Food was excellent all around and presently beautifully. Noise level a little to loud but did not interfere with normal conversation.Special Features:
- A nice night out in Nashville5ofusDined on 9/13/2014In the basement of the Hermitage Hotel, this restaurant is wonderful for special occaisions in Nashville. The hotel is originally from the American gilded age and is beuatifully restored. The menu was filled with interesting choices, and we felt comfortable while enjoying truly excellent service.Special Features:
- Great Downtown ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Great downtown spot in a classic setting. Wonderful farm-to-table menu, where the chefs hand-select produce each morning. Lunch menu prices are incredibly reasonable considering how good this place is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingwipermanDined on 9/11/2014Limited food choices, overpriced, noisy, and not nearly as good as it used to be. The only thing that saves it is being part of the Hermitage Hotel.Special Features:
- It was okayFoodieDined on 9/9/2014The restaurant is at the bottom floor of a hotel (which is beautiful by the way). The staff were friendly, and the food was good. I think I naturally have high expectations for these kind of places. We ordered the squid to start, and it was like a calamari that we would order at any family restaurant. The cod was well-cooked and good. The pork was okay, too, but again, not mind-blowing by any means. I've been to other restaurants where the food it's so good I have to stop and savor the flavors. That wasn't the experience I had here. Also, the atmosphere was a little too uptight for my tastes.
- Special but expensive diningGirlsNightOutDined on 9/6/2014Don't miss the beautiful hotel lobby upstairs then head downstairs to the whiskey bar. Best Moscow mule I've had w their house-made Ginger Beer. $4 appetizers were fabulous. Didn't know deviled eggs could be so delicious. Tour & photo session! of the men's room had us all laughing. The matre d came to us, greeted us by name, and personally guided us to the Capitol Grille Dining Room. Atmosphere & service were excellent so almost didn't mind paying $300 for 4 dinners that were 7/10- almost! Exceptions: the iron skillet mac & cheese & the gorgeously presented complementary birthday dessert. Definitely be back for Happy Hour & appetizers in the Oak Room! Might be back to CG on someone else's tab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014I opted to try something new and found that I didn't like it. I didn't even have to find my waiter, the manager noticed I wasn't eating the food and came to check on the issue. They promptly removed the meal, he offered to rush a different menu item out and removed the item from our ticket. We had a show so I wasn't able to try another item, but the service was amazing. It was our anniversary and they brought us complimentary champagne and a little dessert. While the ambiance and service was amazing, the type of courses available at this restaurant were a little to high end for my palate so it's not a place I will likely eat at again unless I'm in the mood for one of their a la carte items, which are your typical steaks and burgers.Special Features:
- NashvilleHermitage tripSherryJDined on 9/2/2014The restaurant was one of the primary reasons for selecting the hotel. It was all I hoped it would be. Quiet, un-rushed, and a knowledgeable staff. While I understand taste is individual, it is important that the staff knows the food. I almost selected a dinner that after speaking with the waiter, know I would not have enjoyed. Our stay was during the week so the hotel and restaurant wasn't busy. For me, this made our dinner very personal. NOTE: I look forward to a springtime visit to see what's on the menu! LOVED the staff in the Oak Bar! Though it wasn't very busy during our visit...I'd venture to guess that Deb could remember everyone's name whoever sat at her bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.