Capitol City Brewing Company - Downtown
1100 New York Ave. N.W.
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Capitol City Brewing Company - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.capcitybrew.com/
- Phone: 2026282222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Douglas Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Large Screen Flat TV's showing your favorite sports teams.
- Special Events: Plan your special events: Please contact Matt Clarendon 202-628-2222.
A word from Capitol City Brewing Company - Downtown
Capitol City Brewing Co. opened its doors in 1992 as the first brew pub in our nation's capitol since prohibition, thus giving its citizens and its many visitors the freedom to enjoy some of the finest hand-crafted beer in the country. On the front of our menu is the symbol of freedom, the Lady Liberty, a statue found atop our namesake, the United States Capitol. Nestled in the heart of Washington's rejuvenated downtown, this location has become a local landmark for celebrating great beer and food with family and friends. We have always taken great pride in our beer so come in and enjoy a cold pint of our very best and match it to one of the many menu selections tailored to the brews we serve.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Capitol City Brewing Company - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (25)great for lunch (24)kid-friendly (14)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (11)neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)special occasion (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delicious!TheMittenDined on 10/18/2014LOVE Capitol City Brewing Company! Great place to take family and friends from out of town or to go for a Saturday night football game.Special Features:
- left me wanting moreRDMWorldTravelDined on 10/18/2014Nothing out of the ordinary. Good food overall but not much to go by. It's what you would expect at any other similar type of restaurant.. beer, and a variety of staple dishes (Wings, Burger, steak, etc) I will say that the apple pie was excellent!!
- Great corner spot in downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014In for a quick dinner before seeing a show in town. Brought my wife and daughter on our first visit to CCBC. Service was slow and not very knowledgeable about the beers they had to offer. For instance, the waiter didn't know what a session was and recommended an IPA at over 6% ABV to my wife for instance. A beer one or two above it in the menu mentioned it was a "sessionable" beer. That said, the food was great and I brew my own beer and was able to correct the situation (as was my wife). Prices are very reasonable, in line with larger chain restaurants. I would go back again and hope for better service as they were positively packed on a Saturday night with beautiful weather outside. Might just be a randomly poor service evening.Special Features:
- Good stuffmyviewDined on 10/7/2014Always good - no surprises. Pub fare, quick service, and always with warm pretzels and horse radish! A "go to" spotSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Great service, great selection and easily accessible from metro center. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for lunch groupJP88VIPDined on 9/29/2014We had a group of 8 for lunch and had a great time. Service was prompt despite a busy lunch rush, and the food was tasty.Special Features:
- DeliciousTheMittenDined on 9/13/2014One of my favorite DC spots and have been here many times! Great beers, great food, great place!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDissatisfiedDined on 9/6/2014Reese our waitress was great. Food was pretty good and put me in the mindset of miller ale house in PA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BeerDcb700Dined on 8/10/2014The food was excellent only out done by the delicious beer. All brewed in-house so quality and taste were very high. Wait staff did well not much above average however. The hostess left a lot to be desired looking the other way when we pointed out that the table was rocking and lop-sided. Fortunately that was remedied with a napkin by ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014I celebrated my birthday at this restaurant and I had a great time! We had a party of about 10 people so they gave us seating upstairs which was better for us because the first floor was really noisy (but this would probably be great for families with loud children.. Blends the noise right in). The food... Was fantastic! Had the jambalaya and my husband had the capital brewer burger and they were both delicious! They had plenty of comfort foods but also a wide variety of food to please our very diverse group :) overall I liked everything! Will plan more dinner events here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Had a group of 12 and received great service. Plenty of space for large groups. Brews beer on site.Special Features:
- MediocreRWFavoriteVIPDined on 7/23/2014Mediocre in every sense. Notwithstanding, it will always have decent business, due to its name, location, and the tourists who don't know any better. This is now my second time trying it for lunch. Both times, the food, service, and ambience left a lot to be desired. Not the worst, but there are dozens of other nearby restaurants in the same price point that are much better.
- Great brew, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Their custom beers are great. The food was good, too...nothing to write home about, but good.Special Features:
- Authenticity At It's BestSharidDined on 7/5/2014Capitol City Brewing Comp was great! Food was really well cooked, the atmosphere for a weekend was very chill and the staff was knowledgable. There were lots of exciting menu options and the homemade brews were even better. Will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wasted beautyOnlygoodfoodDined on 7/3/2014The restaurant has a beautiful interior. We made reservations in advance for brunch and were disappointed by the limited options and when the meal arrived, the food was bland and of questionable texture. Our server was indifferent. It served as the explanation for the lack of customers dining mid morning on a Sunday. One redeeming quality was the well brewed coffee.
- UnhappyclientDined on 6/28/2014the waiter was too slow and keep forgetting my orders. I had to constantly remind her of my order in order to get what I had asked for.Special Features:
- The following 263 reviews are from the Capitol City Brewing Company - Downtown reviews archive.
- Disappointing Food and ServiceDrbkingDined on 6/15/2014The beer and the calamari and hummus appetizers were quite good, although calamari sauce should go beyond marinara. But 4 of us had burgers and we agreed the burger tasted like a frozen patty. Very little flavor. We ordered 3 appetizers after telling staff of an onion allergy. 20 minutes later, one was missing because it did contain onions. Why bring the other food without offering us the chance to order another appetizer? Bigger problem. The burgers are served with lettuce, tomato, pickle, and, in this case, hidden onion. 2 of us were unable to eat our meals. Allergic is not the same as "I don't like it so please don't serve it to me". The server apologized, but that was it. They even tried to charge us for the appetizer they didn't serve
- Efficient and very accommodating.ZeeeeM301Dined on 6/11/2014The servers and host knew we were there for a special occasions so they were very attentive to the mother to be. Pretzels were delis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Food and Servicedclonghorn512Dined on 6/6/2014After we sat down, we did not see our server for about 10 minutes. After we had ordered, the food came quickly, but was mediocre at best. My crab cake sandwich was so intensely salty that I was unable to finish it. Upsides: the drinks were good, our server was friendly, and it was convenient that they take reservations on busy Friday evenings. But I wouldn't rush to go back.
- Good beer, good casual dinner out.JMVODined on 6/2/2014We were meeting up with friends that we hadn't seen in years and chose Capital City as we'd all been here before and it was close to halfway. The beer and food were good, as was the service. The only real problem is we were wanting to catch up and the noise levels made that a bit more challenging. Would still go back, but just with a smaller group.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.mensan98thDined on 6/1/2014We chose Capitol City Brewing because of its proximity to the Post Hunt (it was an easier walk than a number of other places). Our server was very good, but the food was only so-so. Not worth going again, and if there were other options available, I'm sure I wouldn't pick it.Special Features:
- Good times, Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014My family and another family enjoyed a great dining experience at CCBC. The atmosphere was great for adults & children. The food selection was good and our food arrived in a timely manner. My only complaint would be that we didn't have enough time to enjoy our appetizers before our entrees arrived...need better timing of courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good casual diningjaredDined on 5/30/2014Food was good, although the service was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good timesluv2eatoutDined on 5/30/2014The food was great and the service was excellent. The location is awesome. My only comment (and it isn't a complaint) is that it is VERY loud in this restaurant. Just don't plan to go there and carry on a conversation with someone across the table without having to raise your voice.Special Features:
- Unlimited MimosasTamieLVIPDined on 5/18/2014I choose this location for my post-graduation brunch celebration; specifically due to the unlimited mimosas and blood marys. The service was prompt and attentive. The food was pretty standard brunch fair at a decent price. If I lived in DC I would def frequent here for weekend brunch or to watch a sports game in the evening and have a beer.Special Features:
- Great Beer and foodFoodIsGoodDined on 5/17/2014Great selections of specialty brews and very good American Fare.Special Features:
- Great Team LunchDCRegularDined on 5/17/2014Had a group of 12 for a business lunch and the food was excellent, the service was quick and friendly, and everyone enjoyed the meal.Special Features:
- Easy, flexibleBywayzDined on 5/15/2014Good for groups of 4-20. Diverse menu -- salads, sandwiches and burgers. Enjoy the free pretzel app with sauce.Special Features:
- TastefulFriendly2dineDined on 5/11/2014The atmosphere, service and food was good. Good relaxed casual setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day2014CelebratingMothersDayDined on 5/11/2014Celebrating Mother's Day with my mom and sister at the Capital City Brewing was such a great treat for use. We was able bond as mothers and daughters. Our waitress was very pleasant and helpful. We had made reservations so we were seated right away. We came at the right time because it wasn't crowded. We were served our meal in a timely manner since we had to go to a 3:00 p.m. show afterwards. It was a great day for us and a blessing to spend that time together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at good priceJenni694Dined on 5/4/2014We had good food, great service at a good price. Pleasant Atmosphere bar and grill type restaurant.Special Features:
- Happy Hour SurpriseChristieBHicksDined on 5/2/2014We were pleasantly surprised when we got the check for 4 people having drinks and appetizers at Happy Hour. Very inexpensive, and really good beer too! We will definitely go back again. Glad we used Open Table. The place was packed, but we were ushered straight to our table. Happy Hour.....makes for a happy start to the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor quality foodKeithDined on 5/2/2014The food at Capitol City Brewing Company was clearly an afterthought; mediocre would be more than they deserve. Barely edible.
- SerivceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/1/2014Our group of eight was handled in a superb manner. The service was great from the time we walked in until the time we left.Special Features:
- Great service and good foodDJRR2014Dined on 4/25/2014This was my second visit in a year to the Capital City Brewery. I love the decor and the pretzels in lieu of a bread basket. Our server Kem was outstanding - very informative, attentive and entertaining. I chose the crab cake which was a bit salty but very good in filling, texture and overall seasoning. The place was jumping but not out of control. The prices are comparable to other lunch spots in the area. The fact that a black stretch limo pulled up while we were there means that everyone of all economic standing feel comfortable at the Capital City Brewery. I will return in a few weeks to try more of the great menu.Special Features:
- More than beers hereDewRagDined on 4/22/2014If you think they're all about the beer, you'd only be half right. Beers are pretty terrific, but the food is equally good, with a good variety of offerings and price points. Apps are also good and diverse, so there is truly something for everyone... kids too. Totally recommend Capital City when you're in DCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Large Group w/kidsBarbCDined on 4/18/2014Service here was great (can't say the same for many other places we tried out)! Tables for 11 of us (7 kids, 4 adults) was ready & waiting when we arrived. Waitress was very attentive. Food was great. Highly recommend using Open Table for a big group in Wash., DC as many other families at our hotel were complaining that they couldn't find any open restaurants during Spring Break weekSpecial Features:
- Great Service, Good FoodfunkbunnyDined on 4/18/2014We recently took my husband's parents to a late-afternoon meal after a day of sightseeing in DC. Our waiter was very friendly, attentive without being annoying, and got our complicated order to us correctly (there were seven of us and he didn't write anything down). The pretzels were flowing, drinks were refilled as soon as finished, and the food came out promptly. My in-laws were very impressed with the service. Capitol City will continue to be our go-to spot for a good meal and beverages when we are in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and fun!MoonwidowDined on 4/16/2014Service was excellent, food and beverages good! Fun place to meet up and share good times.Special Features:
- Pretty Good EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014We came in around noon after seeing the cherry blossoms and found that it wasn't all that crowded. We were seated pretty quickly and had a high chair for the child that was with us (4 adults 1 child) We did have to leave the stroller near the front with the staff, which was fine for us but maybe not for other people. We enjoyed that instead of bread for a premeal snack we received pretzels and dip for it! It was very fresh tasting and was a nice change. Our food came out quickly and was to order. The only thing we think could be improved on was the drink service was a little slow. We will definitely return for a later meal and perhaps a few more drinks!Special Features: